As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So Paramount+ apparently forgets where you left off in a series if it drops off your "continue watching" row which only has about ten slots. So if, say, your wife binges one episode each of ten different legal and medical dramas while you're at work good luck ever figuring out where you left off in your show.

Hulu remembers where I left off on a movie I watched six months ago that wasn't even ON HULU for most of the intervening months, this is basic functionality.

Hevach on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    So Paramount+ apparently forgets where you left off in a series if it drops off your "continue watching" row which only has about ten slots. So if, say, your wife binges one episode each of ten different legal and medical dramas while you're at work good luck ever figuring out where you left off in your show.

Hulu remembers where I left off on a movie I watched six months ago that wasn't even ON HULU for most of the intervening months, this is basic functionality.

New streaming services don't have basic functionality. Why bother? People aren't paying you for functionality, they are paying you for the content you have exclusive rights to.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Not just streaming. See the Epic Games Store.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

New streaming services don't have basic functionality. Why bother? People aren't paying you for functionality, they are paying you for the content you have exclusive rights to.

I set up Crave for my folks on their cable box. As far as I can tell, the 'Continue watching' feature just shows random episodes of random shows, at random points in those episodes. It's literally different each time they log in. Like, if you log out and then right back in, it's a completely different set of shows and movies. Sometimes it's just one, so it's not even that anything is being cut off. No Crave, I'm pretty sure they didn't watch half of S2E3 of Succession and the first 20 minutes of the Mortal Kombat movie, in the 15 minutes they've had this subscription.

Bonus, it never shows anything they actually have watched. Good job, Bell.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I set up Crave for my folks on their cable box. As far as I can tell, the 'Continue watching' feature just shows random episodes of random shows, at random points in those episodes. It's literally different each time they log in. Like, if you log out and then right back in, it's a completely different set of shows and movies. Sometimes it's just one, so it's not even that anything is being cut off. No Crave, I'm pretty sure they didn't watch half of S2E3 of Succession and the first 20 minutes of the Mortal Kombat movie, in the 15 minutes they've had this subscription.

Bonus, it never shows anything they actually have watched. Good job, Bell.

I can safely say, having worked as part of a team that built VOD players for online streaming services for years, resume points and cross device resume were hard once, but easy after that, and the first time we did it was nearly a decade ago.

There is literally no reason that functionality should not be available on any platform, no matter how basic. An experienced team in the space can put it together in, at most, 2 weeks.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    If that's the episode we're talking about, that wasn't a sex planet, it was a paradise planet. And Wesley was just having good clean fun.

I mean, it was definitely both. Season 1 was pretty horny.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    If that's the episode we're talking about, that wasn't a sex planet, it was a paradise planet. And Wesley was just having good clean fun.

I mean, it was definitely both. Season Number 1 was pretty horny.

Well obviously a paradise planet would also be a sex planet for many. It's not really being a paradise planet if it's not. The point is there's more to do then banging. You could run around having fun and then get executed for stepping on flowers.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Well obviously a paradise planet would also be a sex planet for many. It's not really being a paradise planet if it's not. The point is there's more to do then banging. You could run around having fun and then get executed for stepping on flowers.

Hey, that could be someone's paradise. Don't knock it!

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    If you can't execute a teenager for playing on your lawn, is it really a paradise?

Checkmate, Starfleets.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I mean the whole reason they had this minor misunderstanding was because Tasha Yar was too busy (let's see, what's a star trek appropriate euphemism...) having her Celestial Temple invaded by the three vipers

edited November 2021
    When describing it as a paradise planet before beaming down, two points were shared among the senior officers: how little clothing the locals wore, and how much sex they had with how many partners.

It's an idyllic world with beautiful gardens and sex and rich food and sex and sex and naked people sex sex peace and quiet and sex.

Which makes sense: Earth is paradise with comfort and beauty and food and peace and quiet. But it's not nearly full of beautiful half naked people whose main pastime is sex. When you come from paradise, another paradise is only notable in what it has that yours doesn't.

Hevach on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I've always found Roddenberry's brand of sex-positivity quite the turn-off. I'm not into grinning, bearded dudes, but Riker playing the trombone on the holodeck was more sexy than Rubicun III.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    It's always so 80s-workout-video.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Ugh. That's exactly it. An aerobics VHS tape: the ultimate in contraception.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    If you can't execute a teenager for playing on your lawn, is it really a paradise?

Checkmate, Starfleets.

They didn't have a cranky old man shaking his fist yelling to get off the lawn. You have to work within the bureaucracy if you want Starfleet to listen.

Gnizmo wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »

Checkmate, Starfleets.

They didn't have a cranky old man shaking his fist yelling to get off the lawn. You have to work within the bureaucracy if you want Starfleet to listen.

look, Boothby is just one man and there's only so many fists he can shake!

You know what, we give Spock a lot of crap for phantom siblings, but Worf just had a brother turn up out of nowhere.

Also I see this is an episode about the Prime Directive which will make me very angry. Though nice to see Crusher make the point that taking no action and allowing people to die is also a choice.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    You know what, we give Spock a lot of crap for phantom siblings, but Worf just had a brother turn up out of nowhere.

Also I see this is an episode about the Prime Directive which will make me very angry. Though nice to see Crusher make the point that taking no action and allowing people to die is also a choice.

Technically he had two brothers turn up out of nowhere. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Are you talking about Data and his Brothers Lore and B4?

Because Worf only has Kurn as a biological brother. He has Nikolai Rozhenko and Jeremy Aster has adopted brothers. For a total of 3.

(He did a Klingon ceremony with Jeremy Aster after his mother died to make them brothers forever and we all know how Worf feels about Klingon ceremonies).

Ps: I honestly forgot about Nikolai and Jeremy until I went on Memory Alpha to check what you where talking about and only Nikolai could count as an actual brother.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Because Worf only has Kurn as a biological brother. He has Nikolai Rozhenko and Jeremy Aster has adopted brothers. For a total of 3.

(He did a Klingon ceremony with Jeremy Aster after his mother died to make them brothers forever and we all know how Worf feels about Klingon ceremonies).

Ps: I honestly forgot about Nikolai and Jeremy until I went on Memory Alpha to check what you where talking about and only Nikolai could count as an actual brother.

And Nikolai it was. And as predicted, the entire episode left me with a rage headache.

But now we’re onto Scottish Sex Ghost, which the Mrs is watching for the first time. So things are improving.

it's not real unless Jeremy Aster grows up to lead the house of Mogh in Star Trek Online

edited November 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »

it's not real unless Jeremy Aster grows up to lead the house of Mogh in Star Trek Online

House of Mogh is defunct. Worf led the House of Martok until Martok himself showed up alive. Exposure to Son'a rejuvenation tech caused Kurn to regain his memories, and when he was offered the House of Mogh as his own he told everyone involved to fuck off and stayed with the house that adopted him, because they'd never treated him as anything but their own, while Worf and Martok abandoned him for 30 years while there were no barriers to restoring his honor except inconvenience.

Hevach on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Apparently something called PlutoTV will, internationally, be launching with the new Picard and Disco.

Backlash wins!

Some countries will get it via Pluto, countries like Australia who already have Paramount+ will get it there, some others will have it available for purchase through non-specific digital platforms:
    Details via Star Trek dot com
    Where Paramount+ is available in Australia, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Sweden, Uruguay, and Venezuela, the first two episodes will be available Friday, November 26, with new episodes being released weekly. We are also offering Star Trek fans in these markets a new membership promotion on Paramount+ for 50% off for the first three months with code STARTREK.*
    In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, Pluto TV, the leading free streaming television service, will drop new episodes at 9pm local time on the Pluto TV Sci-Fi channel each Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with a simulcast running on the Star Trek channel in Austria, Switzerland, and Germany. This will begin with the first two episodes on Friday, November 26.
    In the UK, Germany, France, Russia, South Korea and additional select countries, we are also making Season 4 available for purchase on participating digital platforms beginning Friday, November 26.

I'm not getting my hopes up that New Zealand counts among "additional select countries"

Just went through the Pluto TV app on my PS4 here in Germany. Only a few episodes of Disco from season 1 I could find, but then again its 5 hours to 9pm local.

What worries me more is, there are only German dubbed versions available, not english option.

And that sucks.

It's almost like streaming services are a clusterfuck of bad decisions on the part of rights holders. Most of whom are US based and never consider the international market when making decisions.

Like every single one of these companies is basically:
    "We've got all this valuable IP. Let's make our own streaming service for the US with blackjack and hookers where we can keep all the goodies for ourselves!"
    "What about everyone who isn't in the US?"
    "Who?"

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's almost like streaming services are a clusterfuck of bad decisions on the part of rights holders. Most of whom are US based and never consider the international market when making decisions.

"We've got all this valuable IP. Let's make our own streaming service for the US with blackjack and hookers where we can keep all the goodies for ourselves!"
    "Who?"

Also: "Streaming took off because people hated how cable channels were actively getting in the way of watching what they wanted. So let's turn streaming into that, again."

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

"Who?"

this is true except the US versions don't come with blackjack either

literally all we have over international viewers is content. the actual platforms are still almost exclusively rickety quarter-assed bullshit

rRwz9.gif
    It's always depressing traveling and seeing just how much more stuff everyone else has on Netflix. Canada is royally screwed when it comes to content.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    But then you get to deal with language and subtitles. It infuriates me when on American netflix, something is ONLY available in English, where outside of the US it's English and like 6 other languages, both audio and subtitled.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Streaming mostly seems like the cluster fuck of ‘entertainment can’t boost prices because wages have stagnated’ but played out writ large in front of everyone.

All the different suppliers are trying to reach the critical mass of acceptable content to get your ten bucks a month but have no faith in selling twenty bucks a season of show.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    It's always depressing traveling and seeing just how much more stuff everyone else has on Netflix. Canada is royally screwed when it comes to content.

In fairness, netflix is starting to look pretty thin everywhere these days. For a while they were the only game in town and it was great but now everyone seems to be taking their toys back and netflix are not keeping up with their own OC. I mean shit, when was the last season of stranger things released? They're gonna have to jump forward a lot further than they probably intended to because all the actors who were children when they rapped the last series are now young adults.

Either way it used to be a given I'd keep my netflix sub but now I'm starting to ask if its worth it.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So at least they are showing it both in English and German, but its back to old style TV... its shown at a specific time and at least for now its not available on demand.

EDIT: oh fuck me sideways, they have ad breaks.

TheBigEasy on
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Alright, it looks like NZ can buy the episodes on Amazon UK (of all places) for GBP2.50 a pop (HD, a bit less for SD). Still hesitant to pull the trigger, but they didn't reject my credit card as far as I got. Gonna check around for a better option for now. If you're in another country (eg. Ireland, i think?) that doesn't have the other methods, this might work for you too.
    Nope!

Maclay on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    My experience with Pluto on ps5 seems to be fairly painless, though they do seem to put their (admittedly minimal) ad breaks in odd places.

New Disco is definitely still Disco, I like the presidente though, she's alright

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited November 2021
    My experience with Pluto on ps5 seems to be fairly painless, though they do seem to put their (admittedly minimal) ad breaks in odd places.

New Disco is definitely still Disco, I like the presidente though, she's alright

The heck is this...? I've never even heard of this streaming service before. Every decision paramount seems to make for international distribution is unfathomable.

Jesus, I just realised what you mean by it's not even on demand. This is insane, it's like stepping back in time a decade. I can't remember the last time I had to be around at a specific time to watch a TV show. What a farce....

Casual on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm going to have look tomorrow and see if its on demand after its "aired" but tbh not really a biggie for me if not

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I'm going to have look tomorrow and see if its on demand after its "aired" but tbh not really a biggie for me if not

I mean even if you are free at 9 pm on weekends and can get back into the mindset of having to remember to tune in at a specific time, putting it on an obscure online TV channel at the last minute and bearly publicising it is a pretty odd decision if you want people to actually watch it. Archaic inconvenience aside, I take an interest in this and I had no idea the show had aired or where it aired until I read this thread.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    No worries, you can just set your VCR to tape it so you can watch it later.

Commander Zoom on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Okay, Virtual Crime Receptacle I get

But what do you mean by 'tape'

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG

Can YOU figure out how to set the clock on your VCR?? No! No one can! It's completely impossible!

This discussion has been closed.