Options

[Midnight Suns] Final DLC May 11th with Xbox One and PS4 versions, Switch Cancelled

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I meant to ask this earlier, but did anyone else think Dr Strange and Kris Straub looked a lot alike? Like i was immediately struck by how similar they look. Might just be me though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Finished the final mission. Pretty shocked at the amount of hours I have in the game haha. Overall I'd give it 3.5/5.

The combat was the highlight of the game. I'm not sure I've ever played a game where I got towards the end of the story and I was still excited to jump into combat. Whether it's X-COM 2 or Assassins Creed; usually the game play starts to get stale and I force myself to try and finish the campaign. But Midnight Suns had the perfect combo of randomness but was still beatable. There were plenty of mechanics and statuses, to keep battles fresh on top of how your deck played out. Some battles were over in 1 turn if you got the right cards. But there were other battles where, maybe you get 4 heroic cards to start and then a villain shows up, managing them and cutting it down to the wire was just a joy. I'm still half tempted to jump back in just to fight some battles. I can easily say this is at the top for favorite combat mechanics in any game.

Unfortunately the rest of the game didn't measure up to the combat's standard. Some of the designs didn't seem to be as polished as they should. Hero skills for example, there were plenty of heroes where grey or blue skills were still their best ones. Which caused them to get a bit stale mid game when they are basically fully upgraded, but other heroes with good purple cards allowed you to be excited for coil pulls. Maybe getting rid of the blueprint crafting and allowing for what level coil you want per mission could have helped this. The mod system was fun, with some of the rarest being really overpowering, so I didn't mind the smaller chance percentage. The only complaint was that you needed legendary blueprints to re-roll legendary card mods each time. That's a level of grinding to much for me when you might see one of those missions every 2-3 and there is no way to craft them.

Dialog was rather uneven. Maybe because it was fresh, the earlier parts where just a lot of fun. They really did a great job capturing the comic version of each hero. Maybe not quite as good as the GotG game, but it was still really enjoyable. But as you get later and the roster keeps getting bigger, conversational tone could get weird, writing would get uneven, and I'd notice more and more that dialog choice options wouldn't be anything close to what the dialog itself was. There are also moments that bordered on Bioware romance, yet it was supposed to just be some friends talking. Especially towards the end, the level of reverential dialog to the Hunter was getting really cringy.

Speaking of the choices, feels like they should have either left those on their own, not tied to anything, or just removed them from the game. Removing them could have helped the writing overall as those folks had to put in WORK for this game haha. But even left in, the light/dark +/- could have just been left to card plays with a lower overall meter. Same with friendship, I'd likely pick the choice that would get the most friendship over what I'd want to choose anyways.

The friendship system itself was fun, but like the dialog choices, needed to be refined a lot. I hate when a game makes me have to consult a guide just to figure out what to do. Which gifts and hangouts should have been information displayed in the game itself. Every hangout session was me alt-tabbing out to see if the choices were loved ones, and once done, alt-tabbing again to see what gifts were loved/liked. By the end, I still wasn't max friendship with everyone since the hangouts didn't line up with who you took on the mission all the time, despite what the in game tip says. I also wished they would have just allowed Havens to be used more than once per hero. They could keep the location as once, but I just gave up on certain heroes once their haven was used and they were still only level 3 and I was 2 missions away from the end of the game.

Story stuff and jank:

The story felt uneven, with act 1 being really strong, with act 2 getting weaker, and act 3 felt forgettable. The pacing in general just seemed weird; the Caretakers tone just does a 180 at some point in act 3. If it was more subtle, it would have been fine. But she's a massive hard-ass, beyond reason, for most of the game, then flips around and whatever you want, she's cool with. One of my biggest bones to pick is with the release of story related stuff. Agatha coming back in Act 3 was wayyy to late. She has great conversations with folks and it made no sense why it took forever to bring her back. Even worse, WTF is with bringing the Hulk in right before the final mission! What a terrible terrible design choice. Wanda was already hard enough to get friendship up, same with the DLC characters if you wait a bit with them. There are so many villains in the marvel universe, there was no reason Wanda couldn't have been in Act 1 and Banner in Act 2. Then throw some other villain in for Act 3.

That's kind of the story for the game outside of combat. It needed a lot more polish and thought. When you do the Hero-Ops, many times it wants something specific, like an Avenger, or NYC defender. The only way to get that info is in digging into the hero bio (in the case of the hero not being leveled up enough). It's not the end of the world, but it's the kind of polish that would be nice, just like gifts and hangouts. Just highlight the heroes that fit that sub objective or something. In a similar vein, the fact you can't look at the actual hero cards when rolling coils was maddening. Roll a purple with the mod +2 Resist. Well I hope you remember that specific card before you rolled to know if the mod you have is better or worse. The amount of times I'd take 1 card over another good card, then find out I already had a good mod on that card, was more than a few times.

Lastly, there are still some bugs all over. Graphically if the game was going too long, I'd get weird static over the menus. I had issues with the Tool Shop speeding ahead of the story. It's supposed to line up with the villians, to give you a specific item for each. Nope, got the Venom one, but never got the Wanda one or any others as I was done with Tool Shop way before Act 1 was over. There were dialog bugs, for example, post Limbo/Mephisto, Majik literally saves the day, then in dialog later acts like she wasn't there. I had an issue with the final battle where counter just didn't work at all. Maybe that was intended, but there wasn't any notification pre-battle that it was going to be the case, so I was left with quite a few cards that lost a bunch of usefulness.

While I'm ragging on the games flaws, overall I really loved the game despite them. Which probably makes them hit harder. I'll also add, the DLC is really well done and reminded me of an old school expansion pack if they had all been bundled together. I probably would have preferred that since it doesn't really line up well if you do it early, but then you don't want to wait till the end to get the DLC characters and work on their friendship. I'm not sure how mod-able certain games are or are not. I kind of hope this one is, as I could easily see myself going through it again if some of the design flaws are patched up.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Started to play this again since I have all the DLC characters and it's time to finish up the remaining trophies for the platinum.

Is it just me or was Captain Marvel's damage buffed hugely? I do not remember being able to throw out 51 damage with an uppercut by the third mission of the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    She's always been high damage in binary mode, but I don't remember if 51 is specifically a lot.

• Options
    It is at mission 3 of the game!

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Unless you've installed a mod there's been no balance patches in this game.

• Options
    Then it must be my massive tactical brain big plays being far superior on my second run through the game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I just did a mission where I had to kill 12 enemies in 3 turns. But it only spawned 11 enemies........

Edit: ooh apparently you HAVE to hit the alarm to spawn more in

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I just did a mission where I had to kill 12 enemies in 3 turns. But it only spawned 11 enemies........

Edit: ooh apparently you HAVE to hit the alarm to spawn more in

Ideally you call for reinforcements every turn to run up the score and get higher rewards. If I recall one of the enemies will also have a card that gets you more actions.

• Options
    I'm really taking my time with this playthrough, instead of plainly rushing straight to the new DLC stuff. I'm one day away now from doing the first Deadpool mission.

Also the "Pet Charlie 15 days in a row" trophy took 26 days of petting to trigger.

That dog loves its petting so much, it cheated the trophy!

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I'm really taking my time with this playthrough, instead of plainly rushing straight to the new DLC stuff. I'm one day away now from doing the first Deadpool mission.

Also the "Pet Charlie 15 days in a row" trophy took 26 days of petting to trigger.

That dog loves its petting so much, it cheated the trophy!

I kept petting her even after i got the trophy because i am not a monster.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I felt bad the few days I forgot to pet Charlie

• Options
    You also want to because you always get gloss, arcane and sometimes keys from doing it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I had her in my team regularly and still do cos I like her and right from the start she punches like a truck in binary mode but also some of her normal cards too.

I can't find Charlie sometimes. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Storm is really bad tbh. She's the only character I feel is actively not good.

Holding cards in my hand for a turn is just not worthwhile and there are faster ways of getting the same result.

That final DLC mission where I had her, venom and blade was painful.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I picked this up on sale. Looking forward to trying. Anything I should know going in?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Catalase wrote: »
    I picked this up on sale. Looking forward to trying. Anything I should know going in?

Pet the dog. Look up who likes which gifts. Play around with each character, up until the harder difficulties they are all pretty much useful. Try and get all your upgrades as fast as possible because they make a big difference.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Look up online how to remove the game launcher. It'll help in game performance a ton (I have a 3080 and before I disabled it, I had studder).

Otherwise, just have fun, don't burn out on the Abby collection stuff, do it every once in a while or when there is a quest to. Havens can only be used once and you can only use them once per hero (I held off till mid game when I knew which charaters I liked using and needed to power level friendship). Don't bother with figuring out likes and such, just pull up the wiki on your phone or behind the game (there are too many combos to keep in mind). I usually only bought purple/orange gifts since the lower level ones felt a bit wasted due to how often you hangout with each hero.

Oh and pet Charlie every day. You should anyways since she's a good girl, but you do get gloss/money as an additional bonus.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Storm is really bad tbh. She's the only character I feel is actively not good.

Holding cards in my hand for a turn is just not worthwhile and there are faster ways of getting the same result.

That final DLC mission where I had her, venom and blade was painful.

I don't think she's really bad. She's just harder to use than others. Sadly when you have something like Ironman's mechanic of powering up based on redraws, it makes waiting a turn seem much worse. But she does have cards to give her the next turn that round and cards that don't have that option. I'd say Storms deck is just restricted vs other heroes.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Two pieces of advise. First, the game will force you to use every hero at one point or another, so make sure you rotate through the whole cast as you play so you can build up everyone's deck and get used to their style of play.

Second, the level of your enemies is locked to the PC's level and the other heroes cannot fall behind more than 3 levels, so don't worry about grinding. In fact, avoid grinding as much as possible. Trying to keep everyone leveled is what burned me out the first time, and it really wasn't needed.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Look up online how to remove the game launcher. It'll help in game performance a ton

100% this, cannot be overstated

My advice relates to the difficulty settings. You'll want to keep tweaking the difficulty as you progress to make sure the game stays fun. Higher difficulty gives you more rewards, but the rewards are mostly useless, so don't feel like you have to play at them for that reason. Your heroes can get pretty broken as you work out how to play the game and as all the hero upgrade systems start coming together, so really you just want to keep upgrading the enemies so that combat isn't boring.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I continue to be baffled that the season pass never goes on sale. So I guess I'm going to have to buy the "legendary" edition or whichever one has the game + DLC next time there's a sale, because it's guaranteed to be $20 cheaper than the season pass price.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I continue to be baffled that the season pass never goes on sale. So I guess I'm going to have to buy the "legendary" edition or whichever one has the game + DLC next time there's a sale, because it's guaranteed to be $20 cheaper than the season pass price.

The... the season pass just went on sale. During the Autumn Sale. Which ended yesterday.

The individual DLC pieces did not go on sale, though.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The season pass is absolutely worth it, especially for starting the game for the first time - all four characters will comment on the events of the main game at length as you play. It's really well done and fairly seamless compared to other DLC.

Definitely go out of your way to recruit the DLC characters as they become available. Well, Storm's missions are a bit challenging and you may want to wait a little bit on her, but as said before, Storm kinda sucks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

The... the season pass just went on sale. During the Autumn Sale. Which ended yesterday.

When I checked the sale last week, it was still $50 (PS5). The enhanced version of the game that came with the pass, however, was $30.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

When I checked the sale last week, it was still $50 (PS5). The enhanced version of the game that came with the pass, however, was $30.

Ah, OK. Well, it went on sale on PC.

Which... you'd think pricing'd be somewhat consistent between PC and console, but apparently not.

• Options
    Also, hearing that Storm sucks is deflating. She almost never shows up in video games and she's rad as hell. Now she's in a game, a really cool unique game, and she's not that good? Huge bummer.

• Options
    It's mostly because her deck is not good with the mechanics of the game. Once you master the mechanics, your goal becomes to win on turn 1 or at worst, turn 2. This is because the game is so weighted towards offense, especially as you increase the difficulty, that you don't want "dead" cards in your hand unless they are *really good* or you have a specific trick in mind to playing them instantly. EG Nico + Hunter for turn 1 0-cost heroism patience to just delete a guy. Having a characters gimmick be "Hold most of these cards in your hand for a turn to make them good" just doesn't work, especially with only three card plays - albeit if you CAN make the activate all next turn abilities card free that would do a tremendous amount to her viability. If you're just playing through the DLC more normally like me as well, her initial poor deck set up and the fact Vampyres shit all over you if not killed quickly, means she can give quite the negative first impression.

If it wasn't for the fact I made Blade an unending engine of destruction, I would not have got through the final DLC missions I was forced to use Storm in.

• Options
    Also, hearing that Storm sucks is deflating. She almost never shows up in video games and she's rad as hell. Now she's in a game, a really cool unique game, and she's not that good? Huge bummer.

Storm is good. Her missions are hard if you do them immediately and she is a bit fiddly since her powers get stronger the more time passes with her cards in your hand, which is an interesting mechanic that some people think is bad because they feel like they've failed if they don't wipe the map in one round, Iron Man style.

Her character stuff and storyline is great; all of her interactions at the Abbey are top notch.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    The problem is when you increase the difficulty that's exactly where the gameplay starts going. You need to wipe waves in one round or you'll just get absolutely wrecked. Not increasing the difficulty means that the game becomes a bit *too* easy. Unfortunately my biggest complaint with Midnight Suns is the highly restrictive amount of actions you get each turn, combined by how extremely high enemy health and their damage inflates once you start putting up the difficulty, means there isn't a good middle ground between defensive options that require waiting etc. The game just slides into maximum offence is the best approach and doesn't reward any careful or thoughtful play to the contrary like using cards that block without providing an attack of some sort. It's the thing that still annoys me even on a second playthrough, where I have just given up bothering with defense at all and just cream every encounter on the first two turns, because anything else just gets you killed (no free revives on higher difficulty too).

This is especially notable with Storm in her own DLC missions, as the longer you fuck around with the enemies the worse things get as they start to jack your cards with increasing amounts of debilitating bleed effects.

Like the final DLC mission:
    Storm was absolute dead weight and I quickly started to rapidly discard her cards so I could keep blade going. My first attempt I failed because I just didn't appreciate how fucked I was faffing around. Second time I went hard on blade dealing massive amounts of damage and won on turn 2 wiping Dracula like a bug off a windshield. She was discard fodder for the extra shove and move, or to redo for other characters cards like Blades (who when he gets a bleed chain going is really damn good in the DLC). I also deliberately got her killed on turn 1 and didn't revive her so it would stop drawing cards from her deck.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I like Storm, she's got lots of neat support tech and her passive gives everything she does a chance to stun. I do wish she had a card that would create a conduit so that starter skill wouldn't be a dead draw on maps that don't have conduits, which is a lot of them.
    For new players my recommendation for difficulty level is to turn it up until it starts being more frustrating than fun, then drop it down a level and never touch it again. You certainly don't need the XP boost from the higher level, there's plenty of XP.

• Options
    antherem wrote: »
    I like Storm, she's got lots of neat support tech and her passive gives everything she does a chance to stun. I do wish she had a card that would create a conduit so that starter skill wouldn't be a dead draw on maps that don't have conduits, which is a lot of them.
    For new players my recommendation for difficulty level is to turn it up until it starts being more frustrating than fun, then drop it down a level and never touch it again. You certainly don't need the XP boost from the higher level, there's plenty of XP.

The conduit card is not good it is true, but it gives Strengthened on redraw, which is correspondingly not bad. Like, they know it is useless in some maps and have built-in compensation.

I used Storm plenty on my second playthrough, and never felt like she was dead weight. I prefer her to Deadpool or Wolverine because of her AoE throw.

• Options
    I'm glad to hear the positive experiences. I never cared for difficulty in this game, so I don't care about winning in a single round. I will take fun gameplay over stark efficiency every day of the week.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I'd have a hard time replacing Wolverine. He was a staple. But I'd for sure use her over Deadpool. His mechanic just didn't jive with me.

EDIT: That said, I didn't mind him in the abby as much as I thought.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    I'm just so tired of the other 3 DLC characters, for varying reasons, but Storm I was really excited about.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I will take fun gameplay over stark efficiency every day of the week.
    :|

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    I just realized what he did there 🤣

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

aww man, I missed it! Oh well, next time.

• Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I will take fun gameplay over stark efficiency every day of the week.
    :|

Oh yeah, I knew what I did.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm just so tired of the other 3 DLC characters, for varying reasons, but Storm I was really excited about.

If it helps, I liked Venom here, and I'm not really a Venom fan. Morbius is now a very deadpan joke machine, and gets some good bits with Blade. Deadpool is extremely Deadpool though. Still, the game makers went to impressive lengths to play to his strengths and break the shit out of the fourth wall.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293