As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    You can also activate a derelict beacon, find a derelict, land, and put the beacon in your portable backpack refiner. Normally the game deletes the beacon but if you hide it in the refiner it can't find it, and when you're done with the derelict and back at a base selling the spoils, you can take it back out of the refiner and reuse it.

Haha wut

I'm very nearly done the expedition. The only thing holding me back is waiting for frigate expeditions now. Boy howdy does the expedition hand out upgrades. My expedition save freighter is more unlocked than my regular save freighter.

I did land at a couple "FREE SILVER" bases that I saw along the way, though, so I may have skipped some stuff.....

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    You can just cancel those fleet missions and they still count. Just go to the command thingie and choose “abort mission.”

Also build a few more command thingies cuz you can send multiple expeditions at once.

I think I knocked out the 8 missions or whatever in like 10 minutes.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    akjak wrote: »
    You can just cancel those fleet missions and they still count. Just go to the command thingie and choose “abort mission.”

Also build a few more command thingies cuz you can send multiple expeditions at once.

I think I knocked out the 8 missions or whatever in like 10 minutes.

I have 3 fleet command rooms, but if you abandon them they still count? Dang. That woulda saved me some time, haha.

EDIT: I actually think it makes No Man's Sky a better game that there's all these little buggy behaviors. Not game breaking, but circumventing grinding is usually going to make the experience better.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    How does one find storm crystals? I seemingly got lucky and one of my frigates brought one back for me, which has meant my freighter has very happily jumped from star to star on the fuel item storm crystals can become. But my black hole misadventure meant I ate an entire full charge just getting back to the region of space the expedition is meant to take place in.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    How does one find storm crystals? I seemingly got lucky and one of my frigates brought one back for me, which has meant my freighter has very happily jumped from star to star on the fuel item storm crystals can become. But my black hole misadventure meant I ate an entire full charge just getting back to the region of space the expedition is meant to take place in.

Warp Hypercore is a full fuel refill, but Warp Cell refills 1/5th of the fuel meter too.

Make antimatter with chromatic metal and condensed carbon, make antimatter housing with oxygen and ferrite dust, then use the antimatter and its housing to make warp cell.

Storm crystals are annoying to get. You have to find a planet with terrible storms on it, then stumble across un-charged crystals (they're big and easy to see), and wait for a storm to happen. The crystals will all charge up from the storm and you can walk up to them and harvest with X (while your life support is draining from the storm).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

Planets with extreme weather conditions, during storms. If it says both "Extreme" and "Storm" in the bottom left of your hud, the Storm Crystals should show up when using the analysis visor.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Another trick is if you scan a planet from space, and see that “activated [metal]” is one of the resources, you will almost always find storm crystals as well.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Ah thanks. I had assumed that warp cells didn't work on freighters.

• Options
    Another trick is if you scan a planet from space, and see that “activated [metal]” is one of the resources, you will almost always find storm crystals as well.

I'm trying to find a storm crystal to do the last expedition task and seeing various posts and videos on this, yeah, just find a planet that has activated metal. So activated copper should be good enough?

Because I'm almost ready to fucking quit the expedition. I've been to 50+ systems and none have shown activated copper. Is there a trick to it? Or do I just grind through boring, unpleasant, monotonous gameplay to finish this thing?

(Does the scanner on the freighter not show activated? Because that's how I've been doing it - warp in, scan with planet probe on freighter, look for activated copper, see that no planets have it, repeat until I just want to delete my save and forget the whole thing)

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I'm trying to find a storm crystal to do the last expedition task and seeing various posts and videos on this, yeah, just find a planet that has activated metal. So activated copper should be good enough?

Because I'm almost ready to fucking quit the expedition. I've been to 50+ systems and none have shown activated copper. Is there a trick to it? Or do I just grind through boring, unpleasant, monotonous gameplay to finish this thing?

(Does the scanner on the freighter not show activated? Because that's how I've been doing it - warp in, scan with planet probe on freighter, look for activated copper, see that no planets have it, repeat until I just want to delete my save and forget the whole thing)

I had the same problem but not for the expedition -- I think I got lucky and got activated copper from a frigate expedition (great call on giving expeditions and expeditions the same name...). Personally I needed it to repair a broken slot.

I jumped 50 times and never saw activated copper, asked a friend the same thing, he said no it will literally say "activated copper."

I gave up and went to https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/ and searched for activated copper, found a portal, and went to the right address and harvested some right in front of me.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

It may not show it on the “main” system view, when just mousing over a planet. But if you click on the planet, yes it will show it there.

There’s a higher chance of them in red, green, and blue star systems if you can get to those.

Honestly not sure why so many are having such trouble with this step. I found a storm crystal planet right along the expedition route, maybe even in one of the rendezvous systems.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Dammit. Last night I came upon an S-class trade frigate and didn't have the units on hand to hire it (11 mil). It was still there for the rest of the play session but when I returned this morning it was rerolled :<

Also, getting the factory game-esque urge to restart my base.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

It may not show it on the “main” system view, when just mousing over a planet. But if you click on the planet, yes it will show it there.

There’s a higher chance of them in red, green, and blue star systems if you can get to those.

Honestly not sure why so many are having such trouble with this step. I found a storm crystal planet right along the expedition route, maybe even in one of the rendezvous systems.

I just realized the mousover thing last night when I was trying to find an activated indium planet.

Also there was a system with storm crystals I found like 50ly from the final rendezvous point. So they're around there.

You can always get back to where you were by just using a teleporter to go back to a previous system then just summon your freighter.

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Derelict freighters tend to have storm crystals in the large boxy crates and the trunk lookin' ones.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Speaking of derelict freighters, I just ran my first one tonight! Pretty neat atmosphere and quite a bit of loot... too much to fit on my little Exotic. Next time I'm bringing the Hauler.

Also, I am really hurting for Salvaged Frigate Modules. I've gotten exactly zero Industrial expeditions since getting frigates that can handle them.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    exotics are cool but they're terrible daily drivers
    my favorites are Class A+ fighters with the side pods, plenty space, agility and power

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I've got my Exotic kitted out for exploration (800+ LY per jump, 3 jumps per fuel cell).

Also I did the Sentinel story thingy and now I've got a giant walker buddy! Hell yeah.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    So nearing the end of the expedition, and I am seeing a lot of people in this gold exotic ship with no nose-cone. So it's round.

Any idea where they're getting it? crashed site or something?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

This was exactly the information I was missing. It was something I was curious about, because I was having so much trouble, but no one said anything about it. None of the tutorials about storm crystals, documentation, nothing. Everyone was like, "Just look for activated copper." and didn't say that the game just says "copper" unless you bring up the planetary view.

So, expedition completed, job done, great work everybody.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Mortious wrote: »
    So nearing the end of the expedition, and I am seeing a lot of people in this gold exotic ship with no nose-cone. So it's round.

Any idea where they're getting it? crashed site or something?

afaik who you see in the nexus isn't directly related to who's on the expedition, necessarily.

However, I would not be surprised if someone found an exotic along the expedition route and it got shared. It frequently happens a bit after an expedition starts, someone finds an S class multitool at a station, or a ship, that's easy to get and makes the expedition itself easier. Then someone shares it on the NMS reddit, or the hub, or coordinate exchange, and then some youtuber picks it up and informs more people.

I'll probably have a look at youtube later to see, I think I still need to do the expedition on PC anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Finally! I saw one Salvaged Frigate Module being offered as a station mission reward. So now I can build foundations around my freighter base.

...Still didn't get any Industrial expeditions today. ):<

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    I've got my Exotic kitted out for exploration (800+ LY per jump, 3 jumps per fuel cell).

Also I did the Sentinel story thingy and now I've got a giant walker buddy! Hell yeah.

My living ship has something like a 1500+ LY jump, and can jump something like 20 times before I have to put in like 50 chromatic metal to refill it.

I can't recall specific numbers because it's been a while since I played, but it's a ridiculously good ship for exploration. Considering I have 9999 chromatic metal in my inventory and about 50k on my freighter, I never have to worry about fuel ever again.

Actually, I should load up my save and check out the new freighter stuff, and get some living frigates so I can get some of the new upgrades for my living ship. Is the expedition still going? If so, I might do that first

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I gotta stop hanging on to these old equipments. Still got my starting tool and ship, plus my second ship because I think it's the one that belonged to Artemis and also it looks like an Arwing

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I farmed the modules for my freighter, and it goes 6100 ly per jump. I put a warp hypercore in it about every 100 jumps.

Also, don’t have to get in freighter battles all the time.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I gotta stop hanging on to these old equipments. Still got my starting tool and ship, plus my second ship because I think it's the one that belonged to Artemis and also it looks like an Arwing

There's no reason to dump them if you like them. Any ship, including the starter ship, can be upgraded to have the same stat range, storage, etc, as any other ship in their class.

If you like em, upgrade them and keep them. You can have 9 now, so there's not a lot of pressing reason to get rid of them if they have value to you.

Anyway, living ships are a lot more viable now with the potential upgrades, but they're still lacking bits of customization that leaves them slightly behind pretty much everything else in one regard or another. Namely the installed upgrades that aren't from modules, for pretty much every system, is still not available. More are now, sure, but yeah. Also the fact you can't change your weapons is a bummer. Again, what it comes with, upgraded, is sufficient, it's not like it is weak specifically; but it's just outclassed at every turn.

Though, if you like the look, again, you can get it to be pretty good now, and good enough to handle any content. I just hope they keep tweaking it, give it another pass down the road to increase customizability and fill in the remaining gaps of upgrades.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

There's no reason to dump them if you like them. Any ship, including the starter ship, can be upgraded to have the same stat range, storage, etc, as any other ship in their class.

If you like em, upgrade them and keep them. You can have 9 now, so there's not a lot of pressing reason to get rid of them if they have value to you.

Anyway, living ships are a lot more viable now with the potential upgrades, but they're still lacking bits of customization that leaves them slightly behind pretty much everything else in one regard or another. Namely the installed upgrades that aren't from modules, for pretty much every system, is still not available. More are now, sure, but yeah. Also the fact you can't change your weapons is a bummer. Again, what it comes with, upgraded, is sufficient, it's not like it is weak specifically; but it's just outclassed at every turn.

Though, if you like the look, again, you can get it to be pretty good now, and good enough to handle any content. I just hope they keep tweaking it, give it another pass down the road to increase customizability and fill in the remaining gaps of upgrades.

I noticed that, it's only got the equivalent of photon cannon and phase beam, and not my favorite infra-knife accelerator.

I haven't tried, but I assume it can go to all colors of systems by default, so you don't even need the indium drive? That'd be convenient.

It's very strange to me that they decided its technology storage could go full size and hold way more than any other kind of ship, yet it also supports much fewer technologies than any other kind of ship. A fully maxed out living ship tech inventory is destined to be 50% empty.

• Options
    I farmed the modules for my freighter, and it goes 6100 ly per jump. I put a warp hypercore in it about every 100 jumps.

do freighter battles only show up if you jump with your little ship?

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

do freighter battles only show up if you jump with your little ship?

Yes. They also happen once every 3 hours of actual playtime (not in a menu but actually standing around on a planet or station etc.) and after 5 jumps.

• Options

I'm still flying the Horizon Omega or whatever it's called now - the PC pre-order bonus ship. None of the ships I've encountered look as nice, save the solar sails (I have one of them), but I've got the Horizon Omega to S class and a bunch of storage so I'm loathe to go to something else.

• Options
    I've been hunting for a specific solar ship that looks like the naboo starfighter, but have only been able to get an A rank one with kinda mediocre stat rolls. But while waiting for them to spawn I got a bunch of other s class ships I scrapped so I have like 40 of the ship cargo upgrade items for when I do find the one I want.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I've been hunting for a specific solar ship that looks like the naboo starfighter, but have only been able to get an A rank one with kinda mediocre stat rolls. But while waiting for them to spawn I got a bunch of other s class ships I scrapped so I have like 40 of the ship cargo upgrade items for when I do find the one I want.

Usually you'd have slightly better luck reloading at a planetary trading post in the system. If you move your ship off the platform, you'll get more ships in the first wave and they're often better quality too. Of course, it's harder to then be buying and scrapping at the same time, but still.

• Options
    yall know you can have 9 ships right
    or play another save

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I think the only thing the game gives you no reason to hold onto after you've moved on to a better thing is a starter multitool. I don't recall any way to upgrade them plus your starter is of a not great type. Granted, if your starter ship was a shuttle as it is for some expeditions, there's no reason to hold onto that either longterm. The bonuses for that class of ship get outpaced by solars and exotics.

I do recommend more than one multitool though. There are too many useful functions to cram into one. I have a primary tool that has the three weapons I get a lot of use out of (scatter blaster for sentinels and biological horrors, neutron cannon for dealing with swarms of things in derelict freighters, and boltcaster for longer range and because it can stack normal weapon upgrades and sentinel upgrades) plus the essentials like the mining beam and terrain manipulator. The scanner used to find mineral hotspots and other stuff good for base construction goes onto a second tool.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I think the only thing the game gives you no reason to hold onto after you've moved on to a better thing is a starter multitool. I don't recall any way to upgrade them plus your starter is of a not great type. Granted, if your starter ship was a shuttle as it is for some expeditions, there's no reason to hold onto that either longterm. The bonuses for that class of ship get outpaced by solars and exotics.

I do recommend more than one multitool though. There are too many useful functions to cram into one. I have a primary tool that has the three weapons I get a lot of use out of (scatter blaster for sentinels and biological horrors, neutron cannon for dealing with swarms of things in derelict freighters, and boltcaster for longer range and because it can stack normal weapon upgrades and sentinel upgrades) plus the essentials like the mining beam and terrain manipulator. The scanner used to find mineral hotspots and other stuff good for base construction goes onto a second tool.

You also want one junk multitool and junk ship for jumping galaxies so the game doesn't break all your shit in your main ones.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Granted, if your starter ship was a shuttle as it is for some expeditions, there's no reason to hold onto that either longterm. The bonuses for that class of ship get outpaced by solars and exotics.

Am I wrong to think that fighter ends up possibly the best ship type?

Hauler gets better shields and more starting space, but all S-rank ships can reach max inventory eventually. Explorer gets more jump range and cheaper takeoffs, but freighters easily outpace every other jump and you want to do it on the freighter now anyway for the instant scan, quick galactic market, and no immediate battles. And with a few upgrades, every type of ship almost doesn't have to worry about launch thrusters at all.

Fighters having high maneuverability and good combat stats feels like the only thing not replicated anywhere else.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I like Solar ships the most, they feel real fun to fly.

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Good call on the Neutron Cannon for the derelicts, I've been searching for one with S-Class Fleet Modules and I just happened to put a Cannon on my new experimental MT for the sake of trying something else and it really handles the little horrific nest buggers nicely, makes dashing through Derelict after Derelict a lot easier.

As for ships, it comes down to preference more than anything I think, I still mostly use my Explorer because it is finished out with tech and slots, and with a fully boosted Infra-Knife it makes short work of anything.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Granted, if your starter ship was a shuttle as it is for some expeditions, there's no reason to hold onto that either longterm. The bonuses for that class of ship get outpaced by solars and exotics.

Am I wrong to think that fighter ends up possibly the best ship type?

Hauler gets better shields and more starting space, but all S-rank ships can reach max inventory eventually. Explorer gets more jump range and cheaper takeoffs, but freighters easily outpace every other jump and you want to do it on the freighter now anyway for the instant scan, quick galactic market, and no immediate battles. And with a few upgrades, every type of ship almost doesn't have to worry about launch thrusters at all.

Fighters having high maneuverability and good combat stats feels like the only thing not replicated anywhere else.

Exotics and Solars have the same base maneuverability range as Fighters do. They also have comparable combat stats overall but with lower offense and more defense.

Exotics have the offense of an A Class Fighter and shields between an A and S class Hauler.

S class Solars have an offense range between an A and S class Fighter but somewhat better shields, around the range of an S class Explorer. Then they throw the unique Vesper Sail tech on top of that. The launch thruster recharging doesn't stack with the module all ships can get, but the +80% pulse engine efficiency is unique as are the bonuses to boost and maneuverability. The effect is that Solars are the most maneuverable and agile ship type in the game and extremely low maintenance for space travel.

As for Explorers, I think they're only really meaningful in Survival mode due to the doubled fuel costs for launching. But I still prefer warping on ships and not freighters due to how much more fuel efficient you can easily make a ship's hyperdrive and then just call in your Freighter when you've warped.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    You can upgrade multi-tools in both class and slots. There’s a little terminal on the space stations by the tool cabinet and module vendor.

akjak on
  • Options
    but pistol and smg sized multitools are always smaller than rifle sized ones, even when fully upgraded.

camo_sig2.png