As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] coming to Nintendo Switch

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oh did they nerf nanite farming? The old method was to scrap ships and sell off the components but that doesn’t seem to return as many nanites as I remembered.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    I didn't realize they increased the ship count to nine, so turns out I have plenty of room for extra ships.

Boy do I want a solar sailer though. Those things look so awesome.

I think regular stations have a Solar or two, but you will find a bunch of them at Outlaw stations.

I've read that's the way to go.

So... what do you guys do with all these technology bundles? Do you store them? Sell them? I have so many, I feel like maybe I should be trying to specialize all my fighters---one for shoot', one for travelin', one for haulin', etc. Right now all my ships have about half their inventories taken up by tech.

Also, it's not clear to me--can you expand the tech slots available in fighters? I seem to recall that was based on ship quality in the past, but maybe I'm mistaken. Or is it just, you get what you get?

As of this latest update techs can only be installed into tech slots. But you can also pack them up and move or store them!

Ships can gain extra tech slots in the same way as regular cargo slots, just gotta pick the slot you want.

So, wait, does that mean that any of the tech stuff in my freighter or ships or character is now no more, and I have to go grind more slots for tech for that? Because that's a bit of a pain if so.

Pretty much. Your old techs are probably packed up but you will need to grind out more tech inventory slots.

Ugh. What does that cost, units or nanites? I want to know how much of a PITA that's going to be.

Units. Or, buy and scrap ships for those storage augment items to get them much cheaper.

I maxed out my units last time I was playing. So hey, hooray for that at least. I've even got a chain of farming that could make the same items to infinity, provided they haven't altered or erased them.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Oh sweet cheese and mice.

Speaking of the tech nerfs, today's update to the Experimental branch just introduced a new mechanic to bridge the stat gap. Ships and Multitools now spawn with Supercharged Slots.

You can get insane performance if your slots spawn adjacent. Tangent just got facemelting fire rate out of his ship's Infra-Knifes.

EDIT: Also have a pic of the crowd seating I designed for the speedway...
    4lZ6zbR.jpg

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Yeah is that gonna make ship hunting bananas again? It’s a neat idea but I’m afraid it’s gonna make me hate all my current awesome ships.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah is that gonna make ship hunting bananas again? It’s a neat idea but I’m afraid it’s gonna make me hate all my current awesome ships.

Yeah, I've been using the same ship since the beginning, and that particular ship was, I think, fully upgraded? And it was fighter in design but had the most space and all the tech slots and stuff. It was a lot broken from all the updates, but I loves it. Now I'm worried how effective it's going to be.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Yeah, I've been using the same ship since the beginning, and that particular ship was, I think, fully upgraded? And it was fighter in design but had the most space and all the tech slots and stuff. It was a lot broken from all the updates, but I loves it. Now I'm worried how effective it's going to be.

Maybe I play No Man’s Sky weird but how effective does it have to be, the combat isn’t exactly deep and jump distance is more about convenience

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Maybe I play No Man’s Sky weird but how effective does it have to be, the combat isn’t exactly deep and jump distance is more about convenience

If you're doing fine now, you'll do fine when it comes out for real. It's just something to bump your stats back up to pre-4.0 levels, plus a little extra push to keep those equipment hunters hunting just that little bit longer.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Me? What’d I do?!

you jinxed it!! :P

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That feeling when you start your first settlement and the "time to clear debt" is an infinity symbol...

• Options
    Streaming the final day of drops, come get some free stuff

• Options
    The bug really bit me because I bought the game on PC finally, truly starting over without a mega-deep character to fall back on. Kinda exciting. I'm basically RPing as a salvager, picking up old ships and hauling them to a space station for scrap. First two ships I found were haulers netting me a cool 12 million, not much but enough of a nest egg to start getting shit done. Third ship was an A-class solar sailer, totally beat to shit. I think I'm gonna fix it up and keep it for myself, because I really like that type of ship.

I've got all the twitch reward ships but I'm not using them. Trying to stick to the basics and build things up myself.

• Options
    anyone have a good trick for following the white lines between planets that lead to trading posts? Once I get to the planets it's really difficult to pinpoint exactly where the line leads, and I either end up overshooting it in pulse, or following the planet forever because i dropped out of pulse way too early.

• Options
    White lines?

You can aim at a point of interest and hold E to mark it. Then your Pulse Engine will automatically align with the destination and even sweep around a planet before dropping you out at high atmo.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Why do you wanna follow the lines?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    If I remember correctly, the lines are trails from NPC ships that lead to the little spaceport trade places

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    You can also just upgrade/install an Economy Scanner on your ship. Then in space you can just go to Utilities - Scan for Trade Outpost and it will pop the icon on a planet you can just autopilot to.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Why do you wanna follow the lines?

The white lines you see between the space station and leading to and from various planets in the system are the trails that other ships leave behind as they move from planet to planet. Following those will point you to a trade outpost or a planetary archive, where NPC ships congregate. So follow the lines, and you'll find one of those.

The problem is that following those trails gets more difficult as you near the planet, because they sort of get lost as you descend into the atmosphere.
    White lines?

You can aim at a point of interest and hold E to mark it. Then your Pulse Engine will automatically align with the destination and even sweep around a planet before dropping you out at high atmo.

There's no waypoint to lock onto, you can only follow the pathway. Which is why I asked the question.

I could use a planetary map, but those don't necessarily lead me where I want to go because they are random.

Edit:
    You can also just upgrade/install an Economy Scanner on your ship. Then in space you can just go to Utilities - Scan for Trade Outpost and it will pop the icon on a planet you can just autopilot to.

oh shit, that's it! That's what I was looking for. Thank you!

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    Another note about charts. For a given category, like commercial buildings, there are only a few kinds. And a chart will fail if there’s that thing found already.

So you buy 5 charts, use one, and it finds a comms tower. The next one you use will find something different (or fail and not be consumed). You can just keep hitting them til it’s the building you want.

• Options
    yeah there are better ways to find stuff

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Today I finally did The Thing and installed mods.

...I'm about to drop another hundred hours into base building, I think.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/11/holiday-2022-expeditions/

Reruns of Expeditions 5 through 8, starting tomorrow and running about two weeks each.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    …and the one expedition I didn’t finish is number 4. Sigh.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I was kind of hoping they'd redo all of them, for the Switch. 5-8 is something, but hopefully down the line they do the rest...though I think somewhere long the line they might have had some multiplayer component required, but it's been long enough that I don't actually remember.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Finished up Exobiology with a day or so to spare.

For anyone having trouble with the Tall Eggs the first system on the way to Rendezvous 5 has a planet with the right fauna. I spent so long trying to make that cake, not helped by letting 600k units of Cake Batter disappear from my cooking machine.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    We have officially transitioned into Expedition 6 Redux!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Hypothetically, if someone bought one of these:
    d3gkt18zd0pb.png

And wanted to put custom decals (but not like, totally overboard) on it in the style of a NMS Hauler, what should said decals say? Ship designation is an ez one, but what other kinds of cool things could I write that no one else could read?

This says "S-class hauler" as one of my ideas.
    vsh4b5fy6zjz.png

Probably will put an Atlas on the back somewhere.

akjak on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Big ol' 7.6GB update for Norman's Guy this morning. Biggest highlights are a new expedition and an overhaul of VR mode.

• Options
    New patch, new Twitch campaign. Today's rewards

deryerhyfbn4.png

Future rewards on https://twitch.nomanssky.com/. Looks like later days will have starship trails and some nice looking solar sailers.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Did they ever get the quicksilver missions to work on Switch? I remember at first you couldn't even get the missions in the anomaly.

• Options
    As of this update, Switch version has nexus missions, yes.

• Options
    Just finished Expedition 7. It was certainly an experience, dealing with the expensive Base Computers and generally limited resources, and doubly so without even being able to summon the Anomaly.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    secret is getting like 2k chromatic metal from copper in the first two planets, plus a bunch of pure ferrite/magnetized ferrite
    also, you don't need to make the base for each planet at the place they tell you; just visit the coordinates, then make the base wherever you want. the base itself just needs to be any 15 pieces of base parts, like 15 pieces of electric wiring.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I guess Sean did the thing he does when he teases an update.

I.E. tweet a single emoji, that sometimes has some relation to the updates themselves.

Or at the very least the link doesn't make sense until after the fact (i.e. it was snowflake for the Fractal update).

This one is a purple devil face emoji.

So whatever that means.

It seems too fast to be a major update, unless Fractal wasn't intended to be its own update and was put out to get VR updates in for PSVR2, and maybe they took some of the stuff out; but Fractal also really didn't have much new in it, at least not on par with past major updates.

Anywhoo, I guess a couple weeks ago someone datamined:
    new space station exteriors, and there was a mod made to pull them out of the files and put them in the game.

They look pretty amazing, much more modular and random.

However, there wasn't any new interiors found, so if they are doing a major Space Station update, I'd hope they also did interiors because boy howdy do they need some variation and diversity in those.

But also, I noticed, the new Space Stations tend to have lots of thrusters on their backsides. It might just be decoration! I don't know!

The thought of being able to move (and ideally own and customize) stations also sounds pretty awesome.

I'm just spitballing now, though, there's no other indication that such a thing is happening.

Regardless, when Sean does the thing, it's usually that same week that the update gets pushed, so maybe as early as tomorrow.

On the other hand, it could just be a new Expedition, now that the previous one is done. Who knows?

• Options
    Patch is already live it looks like.

https://www.nomanssky.com/interceptor-update/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQmGvAtHu0

Robotic worlds, robotic ship designs, and from the trailer it looks like you can finally blow up those fucking sentinel frigates.

• Options
    Watching a streamer and I can confirm you can finally destroy the Sentinel Dreadnoughts.
    It'll give you a beacon to a Sentinel Interceptor-class ship.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Improving the combat is one of the last things I think they really “needed” to do so this is a good update! Excited to boot up and check it out later!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    It's nice to be back

e9mnror19e90.png

• Options
    The new ship is fun. Being able to hover is amazing.

• Options
    Yeah, thr interceptor stats aren't amazing overall, but the ability to hover, on top of the diversity of visual options makes up for it.

And let's be honest, the functional difference between stats of the different ship classes have fairly limited effects in actual practice.

Though, apparently with the right setup and lucky supercharged slots, some people have gotten the maneuverability of them over 4k which is about double what you can get in other fighters; however there seems to be some debate as to whether or not that's a visual bug because a lot of reports say it doesn't feel that much faster or more maneuverable.

I don't know totally understand how folks get it that high anyway, because with two supercharged slots on the pulse engines, with max stat X modules and all other upgrades, I can barely break 2k . But that's still way more than any other ship I have.

Anyway, decent update, though it feels maybe like it was half of one. It just pales in comparison to past updates, but it did come much faster between the previous one so maybe that's the new pace.

I just wish the multitools had more oomph. Right now they don't really have any benefits that I could figure out over using an experimental or alien tool, other than visuals.

They're getting so many things in the game that the lack of intentional customization on things is getting more and more glaring to me. Like, the randomness of the ships seems almost like a relic at this point and I feel like some sort of design system is absolutely needed at this point, and hopefully inevitable.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, thr interceptor stats aren't amazing overall, but the ability to hover, on top of the diversity of visual options makes up for it.

And let's be honest, the functional difference between stats of the different ship classes have fairly limited effects in actual practice.

Though, apparently with the right setup and lucky supercharged slots, some people have gotten the maneuverability of them over 4k which is about double what you can get in other fighters; however there seems to be some debate as to whether or not that's a visual bug because a lot of reports say it doesn't feel that much faster or more maneuverable.

I don't know totally understand how folks get it that high anyway, because with two supercharged slots on the pulse engines, with max stat X modules and all other upgrades, I can barely break 2k . But that's still way more than any other ship I have.

Anyway, decent update, though it feels maybe like it was half of one. It just pales in comparison to past updates, but it did come much faster between the previous one so maybe that's the new pace.

I just wish the multitools had more oomph. Right now they don't really have any benefits that I could figure out over using an experimental or alien tool, other than visuals.

They're getting so many things in the game that the lack of intentional customization on things is getting more and more glaring to me. Like, the randomness of the ships seems almost like a relic at this point and I feel like some sort of design system is absolutely needed at this point, and hopefully inevitable.

There are other more obvious visual bugs with the stats right now including not properly updating the listed weapon stats regardless of what's equipped, so it could be that. But I have seven modules installed for engines right now - 3 S mods, Sub-light Amplifier, Flight Assist Override, Instability Drive and the engine itself. That gets me a little over 1.5k with only one supercharge slot. I keep the other three for the Infra-knife, and honestly I'd rather just delete anything that looks at me incorrectly than try to outmaneuver them - I'm pretty far past the point of needing to bother to dodge shots anymore. Especially now that auto-follow makes sure that one way or another they're going to be in my crosshairs.

If anything I'm more annoyed that sentinel ships seemingly can't install item teleporters right now. That's something you don't know how much it was useful to you until you no longer have it.

Donnicton on