Options

[Last Epoch] Harbingers of Ruin cycle starts 7/9

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
https://youtu.be/ddvY964TCoQ?si=fkbWCdDVxcqsxEiE

https://youtu.be/LGNB-ZuNREo?si=gizodlolT_Pt6rBc

Last Epoch was a lesser-known, early-access ARPG for years, and more recently it has added a lot of really innovative features that aim to set it apart from the others.

In-game names(in progress, drop your name in the thread and I'll try to keep this updated)
(press H for social window)
akThera
AWat
CorriganX
Kragaar (Dalmar)
Fiatil
doctor_ew (m!ttens)
Noggin
Carthuun (Saldonas)
SniperGuy
Samson627 (urahonky)

Resources:
Last Epoch website: https://lastepoch.com/
Maxroll guides: https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/
Last Epoch Tools [ Builds, info, etc ]: https://www.lastepochtools.com/

Fully offline mode:
  • Added the ability to launch Last Epoch in a fully offline mode
  • This can be accessed through the Steam UI by following these instructions:
    - Right clicking on the game in your library
    - Select Properties
    - Under general there will be a section titled Launch Options
    - Under the dropdown menu you can select to launch Last Epoch in Full Offline Mode or have it ask you every time you launch the game
  • You will likely get prompted to choose this preference when you first launch the game after downloading the 1.0 version
  • In order to play the game online after launching in Full Offline Mode, you will need to fully exit and re-launch the game in non-Full Offline mode
  • Using Escape in Offline Mode now pauses the game
  • Feature differences in Full Offline mode:
    - Bug Report and Support Ticket buttons are removed
    - Chat item linking is disabled, though chat window can still be viewed
    - Region Selection dropdown shows as unavailable
    - Online character tab is hidden
    - Cannot return to the Landing Zone page after selecting Play Offline
    - A full restart of application is required to change between Full Offline and Online modes

Quick class overview
SO, there are five main base classes; Mage, Primalist, Acolyte, Rogue, and Sentinel. Very shortly into the story, you can choose a subclass as follows. The subclasses generally have a focus, but still have quite a bit of freedom in how you build your character:
Mage:
Runemaster - cast spells and sets off combos
Spellblade - melee-oriented caster
Sorcerer - traditional sorc
Primalist:
Shaman - nature magic and totems
Beastmaster - beast pets
Druid - shapeshifting
Acolyte:
- Lich: dots, blood magic, Reaper form
- Necromancer: undead minions
- Warlock: destructive magic and curses
Rogue:
- Bladedancer: shadows, acrobatic melee
- Marksman: ranged archetype
- Falconer: ranged/spear/ballistas with a controllable pet falcon
Sentinel:
- Forge Guard: animated weapons and armor
- Void Knight: melee with a dark-magic flavor, re-occuring damage
- Paladin: fairly traditional

Gameplay
With 1.0 the full campaign will finally be released. As you play through, you will unlock idol slots, which function kind of like D2 charms (passive bonuses while in inventory) only with a dedicated UI space.

The endgame is focused on the "monolith of fate" which is pretty much like rifts/bounties/maps in other games, except you choose them from an expanding web that can lead to unique bosses and blessings, which are like permanent unlockable buffs. There's also an arena mode, not in the pvp sense, but surviving waves of enemies.

Skills and Items
This is where Last Epoch is a bit more unique, and I think much of why many people were saying this game tries to reach a middle ground between Diablo and Path of Exile.

There is a skill tree for your main class, and additional trees for the subclasses. You can go as deep as you like into your selected sub, and take only the early portion of the unselected subs. The further you go into the class and subclass trees, the more skills you unlock for your 5 skills slots. Those skills then have their own trees where you can customize how the work. An example is the Sentinel's new Javelin skill - by default it's a thrown javelin, but depending on how you specialize in the Javelin tree, it can act as an aoe buff, resemble a repeated lightning strike, or fork out from the projectile like the D2 amazon's Lightning Fury!!

Finally, there are "uniques" and "legendaries", but so far the intent seems to be that a lot of what you are looking for is well rolled rares. To that end, you can break down items into crafting materials based on the affixes, then use those materials to either upgrade existing affixes on an item or add the specific affix you want in an open slot. The more you add & upgrade, the more unstable the item becomes, which can eventually mean that it breaks to varying degrees. There are ways to mitigate that downside, though, and it's important to note that the crafted tiers are limited and the most powerful affix tiers are drop-only.

That may be kinda confusing but I'm trying to keep this short for now and I can revise/elaborate or answer questions later.

Anyway, if you like these style games, I think this one is very much worth your attention!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Noggin on

• Options

Now that that's started, I was already thinking of checking out the Sentinel this weekend for the skill in this tweet, but the new Javelin skill is looking a bit like Fist of the Heavens or a lot like Lightning Fury, so I'm going with that for sure.

Primalist is another I need to check out, but I think their update and the werebear stuff is coming next time around the end of the year.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I'm intrigued. I'll keep an eye on it!

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    It's really good already, shows a lot of promise and the devs seem to have their heads screwed on correctly. If you love the genre it's a solid buy right now.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I've picked the game up but haven't actually played it yet. I am very excited at what it has to offer.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    @Noggin I think this is sort of what I'm thinking of building my Javelin Sentinel/Paladin into: https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/GBO5RYAx

• Options
    Looks cool at a glance, but the mobile site is pretty bad and I can’t see any tool tips. I’ll check it out soon, thanks! Did you get started already?

I’m going to get started pretty soon- still want to try the void stuff, so I’ll try to see what feels more fun as I go. Even Forge Guard sounds pretty cool.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This looks/sounds sweet *but* i've only ever been able to get into arpgs when playing multi so i guess i'm waiting on that :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Played necro my first run. First arpg since Diablo III I've played all the way through in almost one go.

• Options
    Only got about an hour in tonight, but sentinel has been fun so far.

Right now I have lunge specialized to heal me, reset faster, and damage enemies I pass through… along with shield bash slowing and having 2 charges… while base level rive or warpath can clean up. Considering I could also be throwing hammers, I’d say Sentinel gets a pretty nice mix of skill choices almost right away.

• Options
    The reduced cost warpath is like 3 skill points to negate mana cost and could probably be a fun and easy leveling skill (add the movement speed node, some damage buffs and you're off to the races). I unlocked my mastery right before bed and things are coming along well. Lightning spears are pretty and provide a decent aoe but single target boss damage is a little lacking at the moment. I'll be traveling this weekend so likely no chance to play again until late Sunday or even Monday.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I've been having great fun with this game. There's also enough end game built out that it feels fun to play it once you're done with the campaign.

• Options
    Ya, and I think the boss fights are pretty fun, so the cycle of echoes & bosses with the occasional Shade make for a good mix. I also like that the endgame provides some choice and control over rewards.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Been playing for a few hours and this game seems promising, it's definitely scratching my D2R itch to the point that I don't feel the need to play that game anymore until some mods come out. I like what I've read about their design philosophies and roadmap, it seems more aimed at casual play than PoE. I'd recommend it for any fans of the genre as long as you're okay with playing singleplayer until they finish MP. Just think of it as the pre-season.

• Options
    I just finished getting my Javazon Divine Fury Javelin Paladin through Chapter 9 and into endgame last night. I've found it's decent enough at clearing trash though sometimes the "hold right click and aim" doesn't work that great at hitting targets and I need to unclick and re-click on the monster to get it to connect. I only have 1 point in Divine Fury to keep the cast cost down (the rings with throw damage and reduced mana cost are critical for sustain) so with very large packs I sometimes need to drop two spears to hit stuff. Single target damage is not all that good and boss arenas are a huge pain because they are usually small and even with increased attack speed the throw animation is slooooow and hard to position, plus a ton of damage buffs rely on being 1) far away and 2) standing still for a couple seconds. Damage when everything is clicking is through the roof and Lunge is a decent movement skill though it relies upon enemies to Lunge towards so it's useless if you ever have to backtrack.

I'd say of the characters I've made so far, this one has a good chunk of potential, but not nearly as good as my 100% crit Shadow Dagger Bladedancer (which has a few struggles of her own with packs of monsters) or my cold damage based Necromancer which just rolls over everything.

• Options
    I’m going to pick this back up tonight (had to make my final push in poe) and was thinking I might actually try forge guard. I don’t like being overly clear focused and having bosses be a slog, and the animated minions sound interesting and may help with that.

• Options
    I just got to chapter 9 with my Forge Guard, playing a shield tank Forge Strike / Vengeance build. It's working pretty well, I can ignore almost everything and clear packs real fast, the main drawback is that bosses are slow but relatively safe. The drawback of Forge Strike is that it maintains its minions better against packs than single targets.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Been playing a lot the last week, I did some endgame content on my Forge Guard but my altaholism kicked in and I took a few more characters through the campaign - a Poison Summoning Necro, a Warpath Ignite Paladin, and currently a Bear Druid.

I've become a lot more effective once I learned how to take advantage of the game's crafting system. I set up a loot filter to only show magic items with two affixes of interest, or rare items with four affixes of interest. If I find a good magic item I can upgrade it into a rare by adding two more affixes as I please, which really helps to hit the 75% all resist cap. I've been disappointed in Unique/Set items though, they drop pretty regularly but most of the ones you get while leveling are just bad because they're always missing basic stats you expect gear to have, or they're made for a build that doesn't fit yours. I gather these items are not meant to be the end-all-be-all in this game and that's okay, but most of them seem undertuned compared to crafting.

Zek on
  • Options
    Is that the necro with death knights? I saw a video of that and it looked pretty cool, but I’m going to save it for another time.

I definitely needed a short break from ARPGs, because I made it to the mastery choice and just felt burnt out trying to decide.

After a few days I got back on and went with Void Knight. The big hits are fun but I think I probably need to try Rive or something for when both are on cooldown. It doesn’t feel as cohesive as Reaper Lich did, but it’s still early enough that that could change.

• Options
    My concept was pure 100% minion damage, with all the minions stacking poison, so I used archer Skeletons and vanilla Skeleton Mages as permanent pets (because I have a Unique staff that buffs ranged damage) and then dumped my mana into constantly resummoning volatile zombies and wraiths, with the wraith multi-summon node to make it more manageable. All those pets have passives for applying poison stacks. Rip Blood is my active just for regaining mana. It's a deceptively active playstyle because volatile zombies and wraiths both expire regularly. I built her too glass cannon though so she's stuck on the chapter 9 boss right now which is a heavy defensive gear check. I just need to get her resists maxed via crafting like I did for my other characters and she'll walk through it no problem.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Zek wrote: »
    Been playing a lot the last week, I did some endgame content on my Forge Guard but my altaholism kicked in and I took a few more characters through the campaign - a Poison Summoning Necro, a Warpath Ignite Paladin, and currently a Bear Druid.

I've become a lot more effective once I learned how to take advantage of the game's crafting system. I set up a loot filter to only show magic items with two affixes of interest, or rare items with four affixes of interest. If I find a good magic item I can upgrade it into a rare by adding two more affixes as I please, which really helps to hit the 75% all resist cap. I've been disappointed in Unique/Set items though, they drop pretty regularly but most of the ones you get while leveling are just bad because they're always missing basic stats you expect gear to have, or they're made for a build that doesn't fit yours. I gather these items are not meant to be the end-all-be-all in this game and that's okay, but most of them seem undertuned compared to crafting.

I really wish I could set the filter to flag out items with 3/4 affixes and one empty prefix. That way I could find good bases and add a powerful (even at tier 1) rare affix like +1 to skill. Uniques are definitely tuned toward "doing an interesting new mechanic" rather than "like a regular item but better" which I think is good from an itemization standpoint. I've found a lot of times they can give a huge buff to damage but reduce opportunities to increase resists or can be a good defensive item but give little offensive boosts. Some of the end-game uniques do begin tilting into the build defining category, I'm still chasing a certain mage helm for my lightning mage.

edit because I probably shouldn't double post: My lightning javelin paladin is mid-70s now and kind of hitting the point where most gear has been set aside from tweaking slightly or waiting for a good exalted drop. I added a second point into the lightning bolt skill which makes clearing feel much better but I'm getting mana starved on boss fights (since the piercing bolts do nothing to single targets). Monolith mini-bosses (the ones at random nodes at the end of the mission) seem to be tuned to be a little easy with too few HP, but the monolith boss and Shade fights still require a lot of positioning and take quite a bit of time to complete. I'm starting to get a case of alt-itis but I don't know if I should roll a new sentinel (with a lot of good leveling gear I picked up with the paladin), do a new class, or knock the rust off and polish up an existing character I have (currently: primalist that just got Beastmaster mastery, shadow dagger bladedancer + lightning blast sorc + minion necro all around level 65-80).

m!ttens on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    m!ttens wrote: »

I really wish I could set the filter to flag out items with 3/4 affixes and one empty prefix. That way I could find good bases and add a powerful (even at tier 1) rare affix like +1 to skill. Uniques are definitely tuned toward "doing an interesting new mechanic" rather than "like a regular item but better" which I think is good from an itemization standpoint. I've found a lot of times they can give a huge buff to damage but reduce opportunities to increase resists or can be a good defensive item but give little offensive boosts. Some of the end-game uniques do begin tilting into the build defining category, I'm still chasing a certain mage helm for my lightning mage.

edit because I probably shouldn't double post: My lightning javelin paladin is mid-70s now and kind of hitting the point where most gear has been set aside from tweaking slightly or waiting for a good exalted drop. I added a second point into the lightning bolt skill which makes clearing feel much better but I'm getting mana starved on boss fights (since the piercing bolts do nothing to single targets). Monolith mini-bosses (the ones at random nodes at the end of the mission) seem to be tuned to be a little easy with too few HP, but the monolith boss and Shade fights still require a lot of positioning and take quite a bit of time to complete. I'm starting to get a case of alt-itis but I don't know if I should roll a new sentinel (with a lot of good leveling gear I picked up with the paladin), do a new class, or knock the rust off and polish up an existing character I have (currently: primalist that just got Beastmaster mastery, shadow dagger bladedancer + lightning blast sorc + minion necro all around level 65-80).

Yeah the loot filters are pretty powerful and easy to use, but they don't seem to support specifically targeting the rares that only have 3 affixes which I would like to see since they're better for crafting than magic items are. I should probably change my filters to 3 affixes instead of 4 so I don't exclude those. Plus if you get 3 good affixes and 1 bad, you can take a chance and remove a random affix for a 25% chance of fixing it, which is especially worth trying for Exalted items.

I agree with what they're going for with Uniques - build enabling items that allow distinct playstyles without being objectively better than rares - but I think for the majority of uniques/sets the thing that they're doing isn't powerful enough to justify taking away the resists/damage/etc. There are definitely powerful ones in the endgame though which I haven't gotten to yet, I'm just annoyed by the ones I've encountered while leveling. Except Dreamthorn, that thing kicks ass. I think uniques found during campaign leveling should be broadly useful for low level characters, and not narrowly targeted at a single build. Set items should just be reserved for high levels because nobody completes sets while they're leveling.

Zek on
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Yeah the loot filters are pretty powerful and easy to use, but they don't seem to support specifically targeting the rares that only have 3 affixes which I would like to see since they're better for crafting than magic items are. I should probably change my filters to 3 affixes instead of 4 so I don't exclude those. Plus if you get 3 good affixes and 1 bad, you can take a chance and remove a random affix for a 25% chance of fixing it, which is especially worth trying for Exalted items.

I agree with what they're going for with Uniques - build enabling items that allow distinct playstyles without being objectively better than rares - but I think for the majority of uniques/sets the thing that they're doing isn't powerful enough to justify taking away the resists/damage/etc. There are definitely powerful ones in the endgame though which I haven't gotten to yet, I'm just annoyed by the ones I've encountered while leveling. Except Dreamthorn, that thing kicks ass. I think uniques found during campaign leveling should be broadly useful for low level characters, and not narrowly targeted at a single build. Set items should just be reserved for high levels because nobody completes sets while they're leveling.

Last night I had a ring that had the right implicit (copper, gives crit chance), an amazing tier 4 roll on a rare affix (add flat fire throwing damage) and junk on the other 3. I gambled on removal, and roll 1 took off Poison resist. Meh, my poison isn't capped but it's not a super common damage type, let's keep going to get the junk prefix off. Roll 2: the other suffix, which was + flat health. Too bad, I wanted that one but will happily reroll it back on. Roll 3, goodbye flat fire throwing damage. At this point the ring had 1 garbage prefix and a bunch of instability already on it so I had to junk the poor thing :(

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Having an “empty prefix/suffix/affix” option would be nice, and probably the clearest way to specify that in the filter. Or if the “at least X of these” could be swapped to “exactly”.

In the meantime, if I’m understanding your intent correctly, you could probably get a bit of that behavior with the advanced affix options. Like a rare only rule that emphasizes (caps) when the individual tiers are “more or equal than 4” and the total tiers are “less or equal than 15” covers 4/4/4, 4/4/5, 4/5/5, and 5/5/5, and does not capitalize as soon as there is a 4th affix.

That obviously becomes more complicated for including lower tiers or Exalteds, but you could make several of these rules if you’re not already using emphasis for something else.

Noggin on
  • Options
    Yeah, but with some of the rare affixes (e.g. +X Javelin skill and +Y% throwing damage) the skill level is the important bit and that doesn't change until you roll all the way up to tier 5; so tiers 2-4 is just some bonus throwing damage over tier 1, which is nice but likely not as much of a step change as just getting the bonus skill point is. So right now I have a filter to just flag the few skill bonuses I'm looking for (and those are only going to roll on hat, chest and relic slots) and depending on what else rolls on it, I try to craft it or hope to shatter and get lucky with getting the affix out of it. Then it's just a matter of finding the right item implicit, with "at least 3 of these" on it, and if you're lucky with getting an empty prefix you're gold, and if you're slightly less lucky you try to roll off 1 bad (prefix) affix and hope the rest of it sticks.

I really want to play (or at least tweak some filters) instead of working right now :biggrin:

• Options
    I dug up some posts to refresh my understanding and it seems the general idea is to do something like…

1. Recolor for your rare mods
    2. Hide other classes
    3. Hide types you don’t want
    4. Recolor for relevant offensive mods
    5. Recolor for relevant defensive mods
    6. Recolor for your idol mods
    7. Hide lower rarity, or specific mods, or all

Most notably, I was reminded that you can’t actually stack up rules, as soon a rule is satisfied the checks stop. This makes #1 helpful for being able to shatter items into your rare shards.

So it seems if you wanted to make an extremely specific, “best in slot”-style rule then it would have to be the very first one.

• Options
    I ended up not playing Void Knight that much, but have been waiting to give druid a shot since I saw the shifting was going to be updated.

Looks like they’re posting about the druid changes throughout this week. Here’s a bit about the new werebear that sounds great: https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/druid-overhaul-werebear-form/45260

• Options
    phylisswattphylisswatt Registered User new member
    It all looks so good! Cant wait!

• Options
    edited November 2021
    https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/0-8-4-and-beyond-october-2021-development-update/44940

They've been posting an assortment of updates about the upcoming patch in the News and Blog, scheduled for December 10th.

The big ones so far are the druid overhaul + new form and the new crafting system. It's looking pretty good! They're also adding a new endgame dungeon with randomized layouts, and the legendary tier of items which they've been silent about so far. I admit I'm a little confused about why the game needs Uniques and Legendaries, I find uniques and sets to be disappointing in this game for the most part.

Zek on
  • Options
    I got some of the early levels in on a primalist. With no resets yet I figure I can basically have beastmode ready to go for the new bear skills.

The companions seem fun too… I like that they took the active pet ability idea. I’ll probably need to make a beastmaster at some point.

• Options
    PATCH DAY IS TOMORROW!!! (click link for patch notes)

Couple of highlights:
    • new end-game dungeon, requires a key so you can't just run it over and over.
    • New crafting tier (Legendary) tied to the new dungeon. You put a unique and exalted rarity item into a box, and after you clear the dungeon it will forge a new item, which has the stats of the unique but adds anywhere from 1-4 affixes from your exalted item onto the unique. You can now eat your cake and have it too!
    • Speaking of crafting, it got revamped to feel less RNG, so fracturing is now gone. Instead, all items have a "forging potential" which is how many times you can upgrade an item. The old crafting modifier runes and glyphs have been revamped and expanded upon to do more cool effects. There are now some rare chase items that can do things like dupe an item, or upgrade a a rare item to a unique or set item corresponding to its base type. Might be nice for trying to get that one build-defining piece that never seems to drop
    • Overhaul to primalist skills, including a new shapeshifting type
    • overhaul to character models of sentinel, acolyte and mage
    • balance passes to skills and passives across the board
    • Improved visuals in some of the campaign areas, also new maps for the monolith of fate.
    • new character select screen!
    • some UI improvements, you can now see ailments applied to enemies on hover

• Options
    I’m hoping to check it out tomorrow afternoon before the new D3 season. I got my Primalist up to the point of actually being a Druid and then let it sit to wait for the new tree.

• Options
    The patch is out! I also got a low level Druid I've been waiting to use, it's been a little while since I last played but they look really fun.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I grabbed this during the steam sale. I have some mixed feelings about it, but it's got a bunch of interesting systems. I rolled a mage/spellblade and it's pretty alright.

Question about specialized skills: I know when you respec and/or select a new specialized skill, you lose specialization points. Is there an opportunity to earn those points back, or are those points just lost forever, and I should probably reroll?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    You just need to grind xp to get the points back. They don't drop to 0 either, they drop to whatever your current "specialized skill minimum" is. Or that's I think how it should work, I haven't actually respec'd any skills yet. :P

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Thanks! I did pick up on the skill minimum bit, but it wasn't clear to me if you could get those "lost" points back. If grinding is the way to do it, that's fine. That's kinda what these games are lol.

• Options
    The only permanent character choice is your mastery (subclass), everything else can be respecced.

• Options
    Thanks! I did pick up on the skill minimum bit, but it wasn't clear to me if you could get those "lost" points back. If grinding is the way to do it, that's fine. That's kinda what these games are lol.

They are gone but they xp gained in end game content is just leagues above what you earn getting there that getting back to 18/20 skill points is pretty quick and the last two may take a little bit of time (maybe a couple hours at most in empowered monoliths). I wouldn't worry much about it but maybe consider dropping difficulty, going back to previous acts to grind, and/or only changing skills one at a time to prevent a big drop in power.

• Options
    For anyone else playing bear, I found a useful tip that trivializes rage management.

1- Use a specialization slot for Spriggan form and get the passive that grants rage per second per vine.
    2- Specialize leap to summon vines on departure and landing
    3- Specialize bear so maul benefits from leap

It’s quite fun when you get it all online and can actually afford to trigger 5-way upheavals

• Options
    How's Bladedancer? I think it might be a bit more my speed than SB.

• Options
    I’ve not leveled mine yet, but I heard it’s really fun from someone else.