Options

[Last Epoch] Harbingers of Ruin cycle starts 7/9

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    https://x.com/lastepoch/status/1729591073452818871?s=46&t=pbIGR_h_Oeb-jTsj7mwjmA

This tweet popped back up for me yesterday, and has an example of the lighting changes. I think they look pretty great! The washed out look kinda bothered me, especially in act1, so this will hopefully be a lot better.

Link if you can’t see tweet:
    https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/november-2023-development-update/61455

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Sweet. I hope they can bring it all together with the trading as they showed. There is still a good amount of jank last playthrough but I am hopeful. Also I hope they have people working on scalability and looking forward to release. Because if they get hit hard it lags a bit with the pops they hit now.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I know the devs have said it's staying regular price until it leaves Early Access, but they really should consider a discount during the Winter Sale.

Early discounts have a bunch of negative effects from the dev's point of view - they reduce the perceived value of the game, may piss off early fans (especially if there's been talk about keeping the price the same) and may make people think the game is bad if it has to do a discount "already". Slapping a -10% green sticker on the game is a common compromise but even that might not be worth it if you've promised there's not going to be a discount.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I know the devs have said it's staying regular price until it leaves Early Access, but they really should consider a discount during the Winter Sale.

Early discounts have a bunch of negative effects from the dev's point of view - they reduce the perceived value of the game, may piss off early fans (especially if there's been talk about keeping the price the same) and may make people think the game is bad if it has to do a discount "already". Slapping a -10% green sticker on the game is a common compromise but even that might not be worth it if you've promised there's not going to be a discount.

On the other hand, most of us have been trained to not buy a game at full price. And they've essentially announced when the game will no longer be at full price, so why not just wait? Getting more players in for the last 2 months before going live would probably be a decent stress test. Also, with D4 getting severely discounted already, putting some distance between the 2 on price can't hurt, either.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

On the other hand, most of us have been trained to not buy a game at full price. And they've essentially announced when the game will no longer be at full price, so why not just wait? Getting more players in for the last 2 months before going live would probably be a decent stress test. Also, with D4 getting severely discounted already, putting some distance between the 2 on price can't hurt, either.

Yeah, it's not simple either way. But I'd say if you make the decision to inform your customers that price will not change until X and then renege on that, it erodes customer trust on you instantly. For an ARPG where you presumably want to keep the same customers for a long time that's not a good idea. Grim Dawn launched almost 8 years ago and they are still doing one more DLC next year, you can't get that sort of longevity otherwise.

Even when you aren't selling stuff to your older customers, they are the ones making guides and recommending the game to other players so you'll want to maintain as good dev - customer relations as you can.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I been trying to get through the campaign as an autobomber Void Knight. Hoping to make it and see what endgame is all about. I tried multiple times and never made it all the way to maps in PoE and never quite finished Grim Dawn either. Always ran out of steam.

I've ran into a couple issues that didn't end up blocking my run, but required extra runaround. I think that stems from the fact that when you portal back to a 'town' it appears that you come back into a fresh zone and sometimes quests aren't triggered correctly when you enter a zone like that.

• Options
    edited January 12
    Trade factions post:
    https://x.com/lastepoch/status/1745490749267857709?s=46&t=pbIGR_h_Oeb-jTsj7mwjmA

LE site tweet link:
    https://bit.ly/48jNuCt

Edit: wow, the factions were already a cool idea but the resonances are so clever (basically a drop you earn while playing with people that lets you gift them an item you found without them)

Noggin on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for release, just hoping they are able to scale up servers because stability in transitioning zones is still pretty rough.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Do we know yet when the first cycle is going to start after 1.0?

• Options
    Not sure, but they did drop the launch trailer

https://youtu.be/esrO1CocQ9w?si=i_CAyYYsKbrTaDIc

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    oh this means we probably get the end of the campaign huh, that's kinda exciting

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Has anyone tried beastmaster?

I was thinking about how these games often seem to draw the line on certain builds performance because they’re “too passive” or something and I dunno… I think they could be balanced so that you could tell a bear to trample half the room about as often as you cast a fireball that explodes half the room. Make it mechanically similar but thematically it’s really cool and different.

Then I got to wondering if LE beastmaster might already kinda work like that? I remember seeing that the sabers(?) had an active ability and thinking it was fun when my Druid was still a primalist.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »

I was thinking about how these games often seem to draw the line on certain builds performance because they’re “too passive” or something and I dunno… I think they could be balanced so that you could tell a bear to trample half the room about as often as you cast a fireball that explodes half the room. Make it mechanically similar but thematically it’s really cool and different.

Then I got to wondering if LE beastmaster might already kinda work like that? I remember seeing that the sabers(?) had an active ability and thinking it was fun when my Druid was still a primalist.

It's the most boring mastery IMHO. The pets aren't all that great and don't have the visual/audio effects to feel good, and attack speed and bleed are your other options. Just isn't as thematically cool as a necromancer or ninja or wizard or whatever.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Every pet has an active ability, but not all of them are attacks. I like beastmaster well enough, made a poison/frostbite dude with a spear that puts out decent numbers. Haven't really looked at other builds though.

• Options
    The Warlock preview is starting https://x.com/icyveins/status/1750519539849408701?s=46&t=pbIGR_h_Oeb-jTsj7mwjmA

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/77219-last-epoch-warlock-week-day-1-the-power-of-curses/
    Anguish is a Curse that lasts 10 seconds, reduces damage over time dealt and deals necrotic damage to all enemies afflicted with it whenever you kill an enemy. It cannot stack.
    Penance is a Curse that lasts 15 seconds which causes affected targets to take 20 spell fire damage when they hit another target, but it does not stack.
    Decrepify is a Curse which deals 200 physical damage over 10 seconds with added damage applying at 100% effectiveness per second, and causes the target to take more damage from damage over time based on the caster’s missing health.
    Acid Skin is a Curse which deals 80 poison damage over 5 seconds with added damage applying at 80% effectiveness per second, and adds a 20% chance to be critically hit.
    Torment is a Curse which deals 120 spell necrotic damage over 3 seconds with added damage applying at 200% effectiveness per second and reduces movement by 12% (multiplicative with other modifiers), but it does not stack.

https://youtu.be/joJCOsF7wU0?si=DgsfDLFSMLOrVWKa

I guess they’re doling it out piecemeal, with the curse portion today. Sounds cool.

And a gameplay video but I haven’t been able to watch it yet.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Neat! Maybe this'll be my 1.0 character.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
  • Options

I have it on very good authority that Chaos Bolts is ridiculously fun to play with...

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 26
    I hope one or more of those is a channeled laser or cone or a rapid-fire cursor-AoE (like Storm Burst in PoE or Arcane Torrent in D3 or Quick Jacks in Grim Dawn).

Mostly the last one, I love those things even though they're always kinda ehhh.

PoE_3_6_Storm_Burst-1550798488.gif

Kamar on
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

I have it on very good authority that Chaos Bolts is ridiculously fun to play with...

Looks that way! Just the base animation already looks awesome. The warlock tree looks cool too, I’m hopeful it will be fun.

I want to hear more about how curses will work because that first post wasn’t that helpful. The second video makes it sound like they can take a spot on your bar, but also showed ways to trigger them just in the passive tree, and mentioned that you can get to several at once, so there must be lots of options in the trees.

• Options
    Kamar, this might fit the bill? Some fun ways you can alternate the ghost flame channel

https://youtu.be/sGI63zOWJYs?si=2u9dI3DighAo706a

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I’ve done zero research, I already knew I was buying this game day one. I saw “GHOSTflame”, watched 1 minute of that video and now I’m a Warlock main.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Today’s skills are both really cool visually. Profane Veil and Chaos Bolts. The latter looks especially fun for various reasons.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/77242-last-epoch-warlock-mastery-skill-reveal-profane-veil/

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/77247-last-epoch-warlock-mastery-skill-reveal-chaos-bolts/

• Options
    Does this game have any kind of party-scaling, or catch up mechanics or anything. Something to help for when I inevitably get 30 levels higher than all my friends?

Or is it going to be a “have an alt to play with them” situation?

• Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Does this game have any kind of party-scaling, or catch up mechanics or anything. Something to help for when I inevitably get 30 levels higher than all my friends?

Or is it going to be a “have an alt to play with them” situation?

Every map has a level range it can be. If a range is say, level 20-25 (a relatively early game zone in the campaign) it will be the level of the host or capped at either end if they are above or below the range. XP gains are diminished if you are more than 10 levels below the zone level, so if you were level 23 and brought a new player into your level 23 zone in the campaign they would not earn full XP until they got within 10 levels though this will still be WAY faster than just playing solo. The only scaling that happens is health scaling; there are no damage or attack speed or increased power usage from monsters in a party. Once you get into the endgame (monoliths) you and your party with have to deal with not just the level of the zone but also any of the difficulty modifiers taken on the Echo web.

Here are the patch notes from the original multiplayer patch, I'm sure some things have been tweaked because it was nearly a year ago but there are some additional details if you want: https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/the-convergence-update-beta-0-9-patch-notes/51975

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yet another game that's about to dogpile poor D4.

I've been hearing people I would never expect mentioning this

• Options
    The inevitable “<game> killer” news cycle is exhausting, but not entirely undeserved I guess.

Without diving too deep into an ARPG war, I’m just glad to see them starting off staggered like people wanted. I’m sure they’ll end up with overlaps again at some point, but in the short terms it looks like folks can alternate between LE and “the other 2” each month.

Taking breaks from one or more just makes that easier, and is fairly common for people to do anyway.

• Options
    Birds are weird, I mean... Falconer reveal!

https://youtu.be/ZlxyfrJuVVI?si=nEBQef7xI3C0vSfc

• Options
    Birds aren't real!

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Birds aren't real!

I got a solid chuckle out of that, absolutely perfect name for that talent

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    That looks like a sweet class. The game's graphics definitely are looking really solid too.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yesss bird is good. Can make a shadow dagger build, now with bird. Throw all the things. Throw the bird. Bird throws things. Bird throws you. Bird Bird Bird.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Im excited for the bird class. Can't wait.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I think it's a better game than D4 -- it's my favorite ARPG right now -- but not sure if it will actually bury D4. D4 is a juggernaut of name recognition that only kind of depends on quality for its success.

It does seem like a decent chunk of people hold off on early access until full release, so I hope they get a big release! I'm not full "new game hype" because I have played it a ton in early access, but I'll definitely be playing it and I hope they make a ton of money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    Oh hey, Falconer gets 2h weapon passives. Which lead into spear-specific passives, but spears are cool. Even though 2h sword rogue is still cooler.

I've been excited for this to launch for a while now, putting it off even when I want to play it.

I can't quite say that I like this more than PoE as a total package, but I think I like how it feels to play moment to moment more than any other ARPG. It's hard to argue with the fun of the character build space in PoE, though, with LE a few notches towards a Diablo-style 'intended builds and barriers to too much creativity' direction.

Not nearly as inflexible in that sense as Diablo, though, and your build can end up feeling meaningfully different from how other builds using the same class and skills do, so it's nowhere near the Diablo level of constriction.

Crafting is way more accessible and fun than anything like it in other ARPGs imo, and I can understand gear enough to make my own rudimentary loot filters, and melee doesn't have awful controls like Diablo or awful everything else like PoE, which counts for a lot.

Also tragic that my brain broke in the mid-oughts and I struggle to play dudes when I have the option to not, even though the Sentinel and Wizard have more skills I'm interested in...

Speaking of aesthetic, I hope that when they get their transmog system out it's something good and that I don't get to pay the 'care what my character looks like' tax. Or, like, at least not to the Path of Exile level of outright abuse.

Kamar on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah I think they just strike a really good balance with their build variety. You're right that it's ultimately more guided than PoE, but they give you so much variability with just a single skill, and manage to make so many of those options feel good and valid, that I just love it. It's the nice medium of feeling like my build is different/weird with all of the viable options, but not needing to bust out excel spreadsheets and watch 10 hours of videos to prep for meta changes and hedge against making some decisions that will render my build inviable.

PoE's end game is absurd though and it's hard to challenge how deep it is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ya I really like the LE skill system. There’s a lot of options and support for how you want your skills to work and even how they interact with other skills, sometimes to the point of casting it for you, which can be fun.

If you try an impactful node and don’t like it, you can just back that point back out and try something else later. When you do like it, you can often lean in even more with the branch nodes in one or more skills.

Like I’m excited to try warlock, especially chaos bolts. It has a node that can trigger harvest and that sounds like a fun combo to build around. If it’s not, cool, I can do several other things with chaos bolts and see how it goes.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Games coexist. There is enough room for all three I feel. I just hope the game servers dont burn up too bad and for not too long.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    The only dislike I have is I wish there was one more skill slot. I don't need it, but I want it.

That and the surge animation for spellblade. I wanted a cool lightning sword dash, not to float malevolently.

• Options
    Husbando tried to dash my dreams last night by misreading the release date. He was looking at the store page for the exact date, saw “April 30,” and was all “bad news…”

Didn’t notice the “2019” after it lol.

They should put a big ol’ splash graphic up touting the 1.0 is what I’m saying.