As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Invincible

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really enjoying this and the Boys. Anyone have some quick recommendations based on those two selections?

devoir on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anyone who enjoys Invincible needs to check out Brit as well. It's about an aging superhuman who works for the government. His only power is being completely and totally immune to harm, forcing him to come up with creative solutions when it comes to defeating world-shattering threats. It also has a good bit of crossover with Invincible, as it introduces Cecil, Donald, and explains the conclusion of a giant alien brawl over in Invincible. It's written by Kirkman and pencilled by Tony Moore (Walking Dead) and Cliff Rathburn, who did the Green Ghost/Martian Man segments of the Guardians of the Globe issue of Invincible. It's filled with balls to the wall ultraviolence and snappy writing, much like the Ottley issues of Invincible.

You can read a rather large chunk of Brit here at Newsarma and you can purchase the trade here at Amazon.

Firebreather by Phil Hester and Andy Kuhn is also pretty damn cool. It's about Duncan, aka Firebreather, the son of the world's oldest and largest dragon and a quiet suburban housewife. The book documents Duncan's attempts to integrate into highschool life, even as he's forced to make weekend trips to his dad's house (dank, treasure-filled cave), chaperoned by the cigar-chomping, cowboy hat-wearing Colonel Barnes, an obvious pastiche of Nick Fury.

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    if you like the boys, you'd probably like the authority. give wildcats 3.0 a shot, because i just reread it and realized i forgot how totally fucking awesome it is and now everyone needs to peep its shit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So... OK Go's song "Invincible" was put out in 2005. Is it about our boy Grayson? I think so. Especially with the opening lines:

When they finally come to destroy the earth, they'll have to go through you first.
    I bet they won't be expecting that.

Though... the song does mention the "the thousand Fahrenheit hot metal lights behind your eyes", and Mark doesn't have heat-vision.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, i like that song, but i don't think that it's a reference to the comic. i would, however, probably put it somewhere in the soundtrack of an invincible movie, because it's so catchy.

that actually reminds me of when that mark wahlberg movie came out about him joining a pro football team when he was like 37 or whatever and it was called invincible. every time i saw the previews, i'd think man, why couldn't it be a real invincible movie

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    I saw a video of that song set to clips of dwight from the office once

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Anyone who enjoys Invincible needs to check out Brit as well. It's about an aging superhuman who works for the government. His only power is being completely and totally immune to harm, forcing him to come up with creative solutions when it comes to defeating world-shattering threats. It also has a good bit of crossover with Invincible, as it introduces Cecil, Donald, and explains the conclusion of a giant alien brawl over in Invincible. It's written by Kirkman and pencilled by Tony Moore (Walking Dead) and Cliff Rathburn, who did the Green Ghost/Martian Man segments of the Guardians of the Globe issue of Invincible. It's filled with balls to the wall ultraviolence and snappy writing, much like the Ottley issues of Invincible.

You can read a rather large chunk of Brit here at Newsarma and you can purchase the trade here at Amazon.

Firebreather by Phil Hester and Andy Kuhn is also pretty damn cool. It's about Duncan, aka Firebreather, the son of the world's oldest and largest dragon and a quiet suburban housewife. The book documents Duncan's attempts to integrate into highschool life, even as he's forced to make weekend trips to his dad's house (dank, treasure-filled cave), chaperoned by the cigar-chomping, cowboy hat-wearing Colonel Barnes, an obvious pastiche of Nick Fury.
    Where's that Image-verse thread I made? I should update it with the news of a Brit ongoing.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    if you like the boys, you'd probably like the authority. give wildcats 3.0 a shot, because i just reread it and realized i forgot how totally fucking awesome it is and now everyone needs to peep its shit

Goddamn truth right there. Wildcats 3.0 was so good... SO GOOD. I thought the last arc felt a little rushed, and not really in sync with the rest of the book, but I chalked it up to Joe Casey having to come up with a big wrap up on short notice.

But man... that was a book Joe Casey was meant to write. Dustin Nguyen did some killer work on the artwork, too.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have Ultimates 3 pre-ordered.

After that I'll be switching to collecting the trades. Waiting for these Ultimate collections is just too long.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I want to post the Viltrumite Identification Guide, but I'm not sure where I have it hosted...

A-ha!
    ViltrumiteIdentificationGuide.jpg
    Mark doesn't have a mustache. And neither do the women.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    They should do a storyline where Mark has a mustache that keeps growing back no matter how often he shaves. Or it could be like his Spidey-sense, whenever there's danger he grows a mustache.

DMAC on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I want to post the Viltrumite Identification Guide, but I'm not sure where I have it hosted...

A-ha!

There is a picture out there that proves him wrong, i know there is.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

A-ha!

One of the trades (I forget which) has a sketch in the back by one of the artists, showing
    Marc with a full-on 'stache.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

A-ha!

One of the trades (I forget which) has a sketch in the back by one of the artists, showing
    You mean the one where it shows
    Mark and Nolan doing a thumbs up pose with a destroyed city in the background. With matching stache's.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »

A-ha!

You mean the one where it shows
    Mark and Nolan doing a thumbs up pose with a destroyed city in the background. With matching stache's.

Might be it. I'm in a different city than my trades, so I can't be sure. Of course it's not canon, I just thought the image was funny.

What's odd is that
    in the alternate universe where Mark and Nolan conquered Earth (we see it when the dimension-hopping guy is collecting his alternate counterparts) didn't have a 'stache. Maybe youth Viltrumites can't grow facial hair yet.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok so should I buy the TPBs, the hardcovers, or The Complete Invincible Library 1

someone help me make up my mind. I'm leaning towards the library (issues 1-24)

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Library, the hardcovers are really really nice and it's the first two hardcovers collected.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There is a pic at the back of the Volume 7 collection (Threes Company) one of the artist sketches showing:
    Mark with a full tache and a cigar covered in Blood, its awesome

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Here are said images.
    invincibleey2.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bingo, that's the one (well, two).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If they're ever going to do an evil Invincible, or evil alternate universe Invincible, or Bizarro Invincible story, they have to use that look for him. Absolutely.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    completely agreed. It would be an amazing mirror image for our super boy to fight.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My favorite part about the Ultimate collections is the vast collections of Ryan Ottley's sketches in the back.

God that fucker can draw some funny stuff.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked the latest issue. I'm glad they brought up the "Why is Mark in school" point

i mean, he gets paid so he doesn't need a job. he wants to be a hero, so he's not "aspiring" for another job, and he's going to live longer than everyone he knows so a job would be weird

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm dying for the next Invincible trade. That damn thing was solicited for March, and it still isn't out yet. Though according to Kirkman's forum he just got his copy from the printers, so it should only be another couple of weeks.

This delay on the trade almost makes me want to start buying the singles, but I just love reading an entire arc all at once, and getting all that great supplemental stuff in the back where Kirkman makes fun of Ryan Ottley.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Once I get the 3rd Ultimates I'm switching to trades. I hate waiting this long.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm dying for the next Invincible trade. That damn thing was solicited for March, and it still isn't out yet. Though according to Kirkman's forum he just got his copy from the printers, so it should only be another couple of weeks.

This delay on the trade almost makes me want to start buying the singles, but I just love reading an entire arc all at once, and getting all that great supplemental stuff in the back where Kirkman makes fun of Ryan Ottley.

According to my LCS volume 8 should be out next week. But I will believe that when its in my hands.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's kind of funny that after having it be delayed for so long, it'll come out during a week when all comics get delayed by a day due to the 4th of July.

Munch on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kirkman's stuff is usually a bit late, ya just kinda get used to it. It's been better lately, but it's more like a treat when it's on time.

Re: Mustaches
    I really shouldn't have to spoiler this, but I will anyway. Fram and I have lots of mustache theories because we find the whole thing completely hilarious. We've discussed a more elaborate Viltrumite identification guide, although we love the simplicity of the one we currently have. We had a theory that male Viltrumites simply cannot shave their mustaches off, and they just don't grow beards. This was thrown into whack by an issue where Mark's dad is in another dimension and came back with a beard. We were feeling down about that until we remembered that his dad said his powers weren't working in that dimension, thus creating the possibility of beard growth. Mark doesn't have facial hair because he's still half-human, similar to how his brother still has purple skin. The beard theory is supported by the fact that the Viltrumite who was head of the Coalition of planets wore a fake beard, but still had a mustache. Why not just grow an actual beard? Because he can't! This all hangs together quite well, I assure you.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone explored the idea that the Immortal
    might be a Viltrumite? Possibly one who has amnesia and got stranded on Earth a few centuries ago? I mean, he's an extremely powerful guy who hasn't aged a day since colonial times, and he has a beard. The dude has Viltrumite written all over him.

Also, Kirkman should have a story where Tom Selleck's popularity suddenly skyrockets, causing the 20-30 male demographic to grow moustaches, leading into the blockbuster summer crossover, "Moustache Crisis- Who Can You Trust?"

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    might be a Viltrumite? Possibly one who has amnesia and got stranded on Earth a few centuries ago? I mean, he's an extremely powerful guy who hasn't aged a day since colonial times, and he has a beard. The dude has Viltrumite written all over him.

Also, Kirkman should have a story where Tom Selleck's popularity suddenly skyrockets, causing the 20-30 male demographic to grow moustaches, leading into the blockbuster summer crossover, "Moustache Crisis- Who Can You Trust?"
    Eh, I doubt it.
    I mean, Omni-Man took him out very easily. I'd imagine a Viltrumite, even one with amnesia, would be more difficult to take down.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

Eh, I doubt it.
    I mean, Omni-Man took him out very easily. I'd imagine a Viltrumite, even one with amnesia, would be more difficult to take down.

Plus,
    Invincible is stronger than The Immortal already

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Eh, I doubt it.

True, but
    Omni-Man handily dismembered three Viltrumites on the mantis people's planet, with only the help of his son, whose attacks were hardly phasing the more powerful Viltrumites. I think Omni-Man's just a tough old dude. Plus, I've always taken umbrage with Mark's assessment that he did better against Omni-Man than the Immortal. I mean, in their second fight, the one where Immortal wasn't caught off guard, they were fighting for at least several minutes before the news channels got wind of it, then it must have taken a little while for Mark to see the broadcast, and then a little bit longer to get to the scene of the fight. All Mark did was get a hit or two in and then get relentlessly bitchslapped around for a while by someone who didn't even really want to fight him.
    Keith wrote:
    Plus

Due to my trade-waiting ways I haven't gotten that far yet. Where was that shown? Not that I doubt it or anything, as Mark specifically referenced how he did
    better fighting Omni-Man than the Immortal, though I find that debateable, as I outlined above. But I've always gotten the idea that the Immortal was intended to be a powerhouse almost on the level of Omni-Man. In the sketch notes in the back of one of the trades, Kirkman notes on the Immortal's design sketch say that they put a beard on the Immortal to keep people from thinking of Superman when they saw him, so I always pictured him as being in that power bracket.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Plus

Due to my trade-waiting ways I haven't gotten that far yet. Where was that shown? Not that I doubt it or anything, as Mark specifically referenced how he did
    better fighting Omni-Man than the Immortal, though I find that debateable, as I outlined above. But I've always gotten the idea that the Immortal was intended to be a powerhouse almost on the level of Omni-Man. In the sketch notes in the back of one of the trades, Kirkman notes on the Immortal's design sketch say that they put a beard on the Immortal to keep people from thinking of Superman when they saw him, so I always pictured him as being in that power bracket.

There is a part in a recent issue where shit needs to get done and The Immortal goes to do it and Mark basically says, "I am stronger and faster than you, I'll do it."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sorry Munch, but the numbers just don't work out with how long Immortal has been on Earth and how long Viltrum has been in the process of taking it over.

Besides, the Immortal doesn't have a mustache.

NeverLikedYou.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That last sentence was pretty anti climatic.

And on that scene...
    It took Omniman less than 2 minutes to kill the guardians of the globe, supposedly the most powerful and organized super group on the face of the planet. That does not bode well for our planet at all.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry Munch, but the numbers just don't work out with how long Immortal has been on Earth and how long Viltrum has been in the process of taking it over.

Besides, the Immortal doesn't have a mustache.

Well my thought was that
    Immortal was an advance agent, send ahead of Nolan by a few centuries, or even just a scout, trying to find worlds to conquer. After he arrived on Earth he someone got amnesia, and either records of him were expunged/destroyed during one of the wars Viltrum fought, or they just forgot about him.

For some reason I just find the idea of an ageless superhero with powers identical to that of a Viltrumite, who doesn't remember who he is or where he came from, a little bit too coincidental. Or maybe he's a Bizarro Viltrumite, with hair everywhere on his face but where his moustache goes!

But you're the foremost expert on Viltrumite facial hair identification, so I defer to your wisdom.

I still think it'd make a good reveal though.

And speaking of Immortal and stuff I'd like to see come to pass, I love this fanart.

fahuertaau0.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I wonder if we'll ever see his arch-enemy, John Wilkes Booth.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That last sentence was pretty anti climatic.

And on that scene...
    It took Omniman less than 2 minutes to kill the guardians of the globe, supposedly the most powerful and organized super group on the face of the planet. That does not bode well for our planet at all.
    He did sneak up on all of them.

Think of it this way: if Superman suddenly wanted to wipe out the core members of the Justice League by inviting them to the base, and then not holding back on any of his powers while his team was in the dark, the same could probably happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not so much the heroes were weaker, but that Omniman was so much stronger.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Did the dialogue between Mark and Allen in the last issue bother anyone?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg