As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movies! Chris Pratt to voice Shai-Hulud in Dune part 2

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just realized this movie opens with one of the friends saying she is pregnant then less than 10 minutes after she’s taking MDMA

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    How’s the worm?

That's a rather personal question, sir!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I’m watching Safer at Home today

A group of friends get on a zoom call (2 years into the pandemic)
    They all take some Molly and shit goes crazy? I guess?

It’s going to be bad

A molly party without physical contact?! what the...

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

It’s going to be bad

Well 3 of the 4 groups are couples

But someone is dead now anyway

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It’s going to be bad

Ok well at least they can all watch each other get handsy with their SOs I guess!

Also you have intrigued me by the deaths and if you could keep checking in and tell how these folks are dying at a molly party it would be much appreciated because this sounds p funny.

• Options

It’s going to be bad

Ok well at least they can all watch each other get handsy with their SOs I guess!

Also you have intrigued me by the deaths and if you could keep checking in and tell how these folks are dying at a molly party it would be much appreciated because this sounds p funny.
    a couple was arguing and the dude got aggressive and scared her so she stepped back, fell, and hit the base of her skull on a step.

That’s been the catalyst for the whole movie. I’ve got 25 minutes left and this is in NO WAY a horror movie so far.

Also they think they took meth instead of MDMA

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dwene stuff! More spoilers.
    Everything visual and audio in this film is spectacular. If you have ANY choice, see it in a theater. The ships, costumes (there's a ton of visual references to the old Lynch film especially with the Atredies/Harkonnen designs) and The Voice is spot on.

The Sadukar are terrifying, they're techno stealthy Urukhai. Laser and shields are equally scary. I want my own Ornithopter!

They spent a lot more time on Caladan than any other adaptation, driving home how much Paul and his family are giving up.

I can see why some have complaints about world building, however, this really isn't a complete film by itself. It's literally two and a half hours of a 5-hour movie.

As the secret hero of the story, everything Duncan does on screen is awesome. He has the best last stand since Boromir.

In short, its rad. I still love the original film, but if you're looking for a serious adaptation, you're not going to get better than this.

• Options

It’s going to be bad

a couple was arguing and the dude got aggressive and scared her so she stepped back, fell, and hit the base of her skull on a step.

That’s been the catalyst for the whole movie. I’ve got 25 minutes left and this is in NO WAY a horror movie so far.

Well that certainly is a premise!

And yea like.. who the fuck argues on molly. Is that even possible?

• Options

It’s going to be bad

Well that certainly is a premise!

And yea like.. who the fuck argues on molly. Is that even possible?
    He got pulled over while running and shot and killed by a cop. Right after (because the zoom call is still going) his girlfriend fucking WAKES UP. She was never dead at all.

This movie was DUMB

• Options
    Holy shit.

It's like they were trying to see just how dumb they could make it with each step.

• Options
    I just realized that in this movie they’re on the 4 variant of Covid and 253 million people have died from it. That’s why the cops were all in gas masks and the curfew was such a big deal.

OMG it both began and ended with Donald Trump talking about covid.

Hooooooly shit.

• Options
    Fuck! That movie turned me off of watching any other movies right now.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    After sleeping on it, I think my main issue with Dune was that there was a ludicrous amount of sand. I mean, there were so many hilly structures just basically made out of sand. It was crazy!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    After sleeping on it, I think my main issue with Dune was that there was a ludicrous amount of sand. I mean, there were so many hilly structures just basically made out of sand. It was crazy!

Anakin Skywalker's worst nightmare.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    How’s the worm?

That's a rather personal question, sir!

Hey buddy, uh...check for wormsign, your shield wall's breached.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Dune is one of the few stories where horny mind wizard nuns are the real villains

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Dune is one of the few stories where horny mind wizard nuns are the real villains

I dunno, horny wizard ladies are fairly stock villains in a lot of old Sci-Fantasy stuff.

Also, the Spice is magic mushrooms people!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Cannot wait for next week (big Last Night in Soho poster)
    xvh0bhmbe716.jpeg

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Cannot wait for next week (big Last Night in Soho poster)
    xvh0bhmbe716.jpeg

I WILL go to the theaters to see this.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Prop masters are borderline-religiously careful about shit like this, something went horribly wrong here, holy shit

What an awful, awful tragedy

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-halyna-hutchins-shooting-film-rust-live-round-1235095349/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

IATSE explains that the gun was loaded by non union, local crew and there was a single live round in the magazine.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Unions make for safer workplaces. Non-union sets put people at risk, full stop.

It is horrific that people keep willfully ignoring that fact.

I don't think Baldwin should be arrested for pulling the trigger, that part's a terrible accident. But he's a producer on the movie, he chose to film under unsafe circumstances, and he needs to be liable for the harm that occurred as a result.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

I dunno, horny wizard ladies are fairly stock villains in a lot of old Sci-Fantasy stuff.

Wait, aren’t the horny Wizard ladies the good guys in dune?

Well, I guess they also the bad guys.

Depends on the book I guess.

Dune has multiple distinct horny Wizard lady factions.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Any story that takes place over 5000 years is going to get a little muddy.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm going to be mildly confused by the fact that Last Night in Soho stars both Thomasin McKenzie and Thomasin the VVitch

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Just a straight up live round in the magazine how the fuck are there loose live rounds kicking around a movie set like I don't know nothin about movies but this seems like the sort of blunder that indicates poor thinking at a number of levels

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »

that's kinda the point

but the bene gessereit have conducted a millennia long eugenics plan to create an ubermensch messiah, and essentially all the conflicts in the universe are at least partially a result of their machinations to make that happen

even the lisan al gaib prophecy on dune was a lie planted by them to allow for control of the planet to be taken should the natives get too difficult to control

technically speaking, much like leto IIs golden path, the plan was ultimately for the 'good' of humanity, but they didn't give a shit how many people got wood-chippered to get there

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Why the fuck was there a live round in it?!?!

What the fuck?!?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The random explanation I heard on twitter was that live rounds are sometimes used for shots of a gun being loaded (or a shot where a character opens the chamber to check if the gun is loaded), but that sounds so stupid and unsafe that I honestly don't believe it.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    The random explanation I heard on twitter was that live rounds are sometimes used for shots of a gun being loaded (or a shot where a character opens the chamber to check if the gun is loaded), but that sounds so stupid and unsafe that I honestly don't believe it.

that's what dummy rounds are for! as in, actual projectile in the brass but no powder load behind it

incidentally those streams are never ever supposed to mix

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I initially assumed that it was an incident with a blank, as the can still be harmful at close range.

But now my mind is just blown. I mean what the fuck?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Just a straight up live round in the magazine how the fuck are there loose live rounds kicking around a movie set like I don't know nothin about movies but this seems like the sort of blunder that indicates poor thinking at a number of levels

It is genuinely astonishing

I've been on (union) sets with prop guns, and there are MULTIPLE safety meetings per day. One at the start of the day that says, "This is the prop gun. Here's where the prop guns lives when not being used in a scene. If anybody but the prop master or armorer touches this gun before it is handed to the actor, that person will be fired on the spot." One before every scene with the prop gun. One coming back from lunch.

In the safety meetings, the armorer will also remove the magazine to show everyone that it's empty, will demonstrate that the barrel of the gun is clear, will make it clear in what context the gun will be used in the scene. It's so meticulous it's almost tedious, but it's specifically to avoid this exact nightmare scenario.

This was either gross negligence on an incredible scale, or actual malice. Never seen anything remotely like it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you could do all that without a real live round

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Maybe Spielberg was on to something. Replace all guns with walkie-talkies.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Maybe Spielberg was on to something. Replace all guns with walkie-talkies.

Sounds like this movie was directed by his non-union Mexican counterpart.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Again I don't know nothin about movies but far as I can tell the only reason you want a cartridge with the propellant charge is to propel a bullet out the barrel of a gun

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    this is a joking but not joking post: I feel like hollywood needs to start doing talent exchanges with tokusatsu production staff, as they all have decades of maintaining safe sets full of dangerous practical effects and props (including guns sometimes!)

for a number of reasons (covid being a big one), the film industry is returning to practical effects in a big way, and I think a lot of studios aren't as prepared for that as they should be

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    why the fuck was there a live round even on the set, let alone loaded into a firearm

why the FUCK

• Options
    So this wasn’t even a misfire then? The gun behaved exactly as it should have when loaded with a fucking live round.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Edit: on second thought, this level of conjecture feels ghoulish and unnecessary

Straightzi on
This discussion has been closed.