Options

[Aliens: Fireteam Elite] LETS ROCK! PEW PEW PEW

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    New patch!
    Patch 1.0.1.89218
    We have implemented the following changes.

KITS, WEAPONS, AND COMBAT
    Phalanx:

Increase to the Shield ability blocking angle, making it easier to block attacks from enemies that are not directly in front of the shield.

Change to the Shield ability so that it no longer easily gets interrupted by being stumbled.

Doc:

Fix for the Doc’s "Readiness" perk so that it now properly grants improvements to Ability Recharge Speed.
    VISUAL

Improvements to ultra-widescreen support.

Adjustment to the L59 Minigun’s muzzle flash, reducing it’s brightness to a level similar to the Smartgun.

UI

Fix for instances where the “Spectate” and “Abandon Mission” options failed to display correctly upon death.
    ACHIEVEMENTS

Fix to some instances of Achievements not being granted upon collection of an item. This fix will also include the “All My Personal Friends” Achievement for leveling up 30 weapons to four stars.
    GENERAL

Fix for an issue where the “Delayed Recovery” Challenge Card could interfere with Ability Recharge Speeds in unintended ways.

Fixed issue where the “Spectate” or “Abandon Mission” button might not appear in 2 player co-op missions.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Hrm, well I'm glad they're fixing the phalanx and the muzzle flash from the minigun, but no major updates to Doc makes me a sad bovine.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    New patch!

Just add an fov slider you fools!

I'm gonna fire it up tonight and check it out though, it'll be nice if I can play the game without having to use an external program to change my fov so that the camera is not zoomed in to roughly a foot behind my dude's head. Also the Phalanx changes sound pretty nice. I liked the shield as a concept but was underwhelmed by its execution. Three Phalanx players lining up and making a Testudo might be fun though.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    New patch!

Just add an fov slider you fools!

I'm gonna fire it up tonight and check it out though, it'll be nice if I can play the game without having to use an external program to change my fov so that the camera is not zoomed in to roughly a foot behind my dude's head. Also the Phalanx changes sound pretty nice. I liked the shield as a concept but was underwhelmed by its execution. Three Phalanx players lining up and making a Testudo might be fun though.

I sat in a corner while a horde swarmed me today and was invincible to everything except acid. It was nice. Definitely feels a lot better than it did before

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Patch 1.0.1.89354

We have implemented the following changes.

GENERAL
    We have reverted a fix for improved support to ultra-wide screens in order to prevent an unintended issue with weapon accuracy.

Quit playing games with my heart!

edit: I played a bit tonight with the Phalanx, the shield does feel much improved. I don't know if its random or if everyone gets the same, but the Challenge Cards they gave out were really good (stuff like 2 times the experience and credits, or 3 times the experience, all with no drawbacks). Also, I found a perk called "Batteries Included" that increases the recharge speed of an ability by 20%, so in my quest for the ultimate Overclock-Spam Gunner build this is where I am at currently:
    u5x6gk8ux0pz.jpg

If you can't see the image it's basically Overclock now has +73% Duration and +93% Recharge Speed (it now only takes around 22 seconds to recharge).

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I think I spend more time trying to get group members than playing.. they really need to fix queuing. Just have the Phalanx left to level up, and maybe a couple heavy weapons

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Speaking of FoV, wasn't there a hack to increase it? I'm going to boot this up tomorrow to romp through the easy levels solo.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    We got a list of handles going for this?

Bigity on PC (usually a tech, but starting to branch out - still haven't even completed the whole campaign yet)

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Speaking of FoV, wasn't there a hack to increase it? I'm going to boot this up tomorrow to romp through the easy levels solo.

You have to use an external program called Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker. You fire the game up, then fire up the unlocker, then go back to the game and you now have access to the console, where you can change your fov. It's basically required if you're playing on an ultrawide monitor.

Unfortunately, for some absolutely insane reason weapon accuracy is tied to fov (the weapon's hit zone is fixed in relation to your character, so it "stretches" as your fov increases), so cranking it up makes your guns less accurate.

I really like the game, and I want to cut the devs a little slack because I appreciate AA development and would love to see more, but the fact that they used this system for weapon accuracy coupled with the fact that they released an Unreal Engine game without an fov slider just baffles my mind.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    There's a mod on Nexus Mods to increase the FOV, as well. Seems you can still play online with it. We tried it for my wife who was getting motion sickness while playing, and being able to bump up the field of view instantly stopped that. If it lowers the weapon accuracy, it's still worth it to be able to play without wanting to puke!

• Options
    How do mods work with multiplayer? @BloodySloth what mod did you end up using? I see a couple around FoV.

• Options
    How do mods work with multiplayer? @BloodySloth what mod did you end up using? I see a couple around FoV.

I believe we went with Aliens Tweaked which is a collection of smaller mods; the only we one we have tried was the FOV one, and even then, only Mrs. Sloth is using it. I suspected it would cause an issue with starting an online game, but nah, even though she's running a mod and I'm not, our games have connected and run fine. Maybe it's just because the mod is a relatively minor change, or maybe it's because we're running private games (though I honestly don't think that's the case).

• Options
    Are there any good beginner guides? I jumped in last night and struggled with some things. The basic gameplay was fine, though messing with the aim sensitivity didn't seem to do much and it was still sluggish with turning side to side. Also I thought one of the reviews mentioned having to go through the campaign solo but as soon as I started someone joined my game. I'm not sure how to force an AI only round so I can gain some XP and test the game out.

The parts that seemed really clunky were around the UI. It would move with my mouse for some reason even though everything was on screen. I had no idea how to manage perks, I guess they have space requirements based on the perk? There was also a ton of information on each weapon, my eye's kind of glazed over trying to compare stuff.

• Options
    You can force solo by switching the matchmaking setting to private when you go to start a mission.

The ui and perk stuff is a lot at first, yeah. At first, it doesn't really pay to mess with any of it; I would just mouse over all the abilities and such in your loadout to get a sense for what it does and then jump in and start shooting stuff.

• Options
    I am sure there is videos of varying annoying levels that give some good beginner tips for the game.
    Once you unlock a couple levels of a class you will figure out how the skills slot in (think Resident Evil inventory management) as you rank up more and more classes and unlock their skills some of them are more universal and can be slotted into other classes, other skills are specific to that class.

As for weapons, that depends on you.
    Rifles I like the guns with larger magazines and relatively faster rate of fire, pulse rifle being an amazing starter, the Kramer you unlock while playing is also great.

Scout rifles, sniper rifles I am more meh on but if you have a good secondary for clearing out the rank and file xenomorphs you should be ok. I think they are best used on the various special xenomorphs, bursters etc.

Then CQC weapons
    Shotguns are all great, though I think the double barrel is the best out of all of them, especially with the explosive fire internal magazine. Ramp up your reload speed and you are melting bugs.

Flamer is cool but oh man can you kill your teammates fast if you are playing Intense and above.

SMGs are fine nothing great and are outclassed by shotguns

Pistols are next
    You got ones that are low mag but heavy hitting… and ones that have larger mags and hit less… some auto pistols and riot guns and lastly the laser pistol which is garbage. I think a nice middle of the road one is best, decent reload and rate of fire mainly to take care of enemies at a range. If you are a crack shot then got for the high damage ones

Lastly we got heavy weapons
    Everything except the smart gun is meh. The grenade rocket launchers are ok but you will kill your team fast if you are using it on intense or above. Heavy flamer is pretty good but once again you will kill your team quick with it on intense or above.

For classes my personal rankings are

Gunner first
    Recon second
    Demolished/technician a close 3rd
    Phalanx and Doc close up the rear they just need more work and how the docs main ability recharges is just terrible

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Using the Unreal Unlocker works fine in multiplayer. I had a couple of crashes a while back, but I was playing with someone on the other side of the planet and this was very early after launch so it could have been anything, since then no issues.

I got matched with a couple of what I am assuming were brand new players the other day, because they both joined my group at the exact same time, we were doing 1.1, and they both immediately stopped and aimed at the first air vent that drops (well before you see your first xeno). Since I figured they were brand new I let them do all of the interaction stuff, and hung back to ping intel spots and blast xenos so they could experience the level as intended (instead of following some guy who has already played it a bunch of times and was rushing through). It was fun seeing their adorable shoulder missiles and short Overclocks.

I think that in terms of "normal" weapons, the standard Pulse Rifle and the Pump Shotgun/Auto Shotgun are probably the best in the entire game. Most weapons seem to be good but with mild to severe tradeoffs, but those guns pretty much don't have any. The pump shotgun and auto shotgun are fairly similar, but you get to choose between having a shorter reload time with the auto shotgun, or being able to interrupt a reload with the pump shotgun to blast an enemy in the face. The Pulse Rifle is just a solid all around weapon, with some upgrades to magazine and total ammo capacity and fire rate it throws lead like crazy and doesn't suffer from a ton of recoil. Plus, it sounds awesome.

If you're new to the game and want a player partner instead of an AI one I'm happy to run levels with nooblords. I still need to beat the three levels of the fourth/final mission on Extreme before I feel like I have "beaten" the game, but I'm still leveling classes so I don't mind running other levels on normal difficulty.

• Options
    The Tweak mod seems to be working great. Just trying to figure what FoV works best. 120 was way too far back haha.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I am sure there is videos of varying annoying levels that give some good beginner tips for the game.
    Once you unlock a couple levels of a class you will figure out how the skills slot in (think Resident Evil inventory management) as you rank up more and more classes and unlock their skills some of them are more universal and can be slotted into other classes, other skills are specific to that class.

Rifles I like the guns with larger magazines and relatively faster rate of fire, pulse rifle being an amazing starter, the Kramer you unlock while playing is also great.

Scout rifles, sniper rifles I am more meh on but if you have a good secondary for clearing out the rank and file xenomorphs you should be ok. I think they are best used on the various special xenomorphs, bursters etc.

Then CQC weapons
    Shotguns are all great, though I think the double barrel is the best out of all of them, especially with the explosive fire internal magazine. Ramp up your reload speed and you are melting bugs.

Flamer is cool but oh man can you kill your teammates fast if you are playing Intense and above.

Pistols are next
    You got ones that are low mag but heavy hitting… and ones that have larger mags and hit less… some auto pistols and riot guns and lastly the laser pistol which is garbage. I think a nice middle of the road one is best, decent reload and rate of fire mainly to take care of enemies at a range. If you are a crack shot then got for the high damage ones

Everything except the smart gun is meh. The grenade rocket launchers are ok but you will kill your team fast if you are using it on intense or above. Heavy flamer is pretty good but once again you will kill your team quick with it on intense or above.

Gunner first
    Recon second
    Phalanx and Doc close up the rear they just need more work and how the docs main ability recharges is just terrible

Pretty much agree with your assessments 100%, especially the part about the Heavy weapons. Once friendly fire comes into play using any of the explosive weapons becomes such a huge liability unless you're absolutely nailing criticals and even then when the biggies come rolling around that can tank several rocket rounds to the face and keep moving, having to suddenly switch to your backup kinda invalidates why you're around in the first place.

• Options
    I could see explosive weapons maybe doing well in Horde mode, since if you're castling up in the corner near the ammo crate/vending machine there is enough space for everyone to split up and lock down a direction and not have to worry about being in each other's line of fire (at least until you inevitably get overrun and it all goes to shit).

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Then CQC weapons

Pistols are next

Gunner first
    Recon second

Pretty much agree with your assessments 100%, especially the part about the Heavy weapons. Once friendly fire comes into play using any of the explosive weapons becomes such a huge liability unless you're absolutely nailing criticals and even then when the biggies come rolling around that can tank several rocket rounds to the face and keep moving, having to suddenly switch to your backup kinda invalidates why you're around in the first place.

You're using demolisher wrong in that case. Your heavy weapons are not for engaging the big guys. They mostly suck at engaging armored targets and are meant for mopping up the little guys en-mass. When the big guys come charging, your job as demolisher is to stay focused on keeping the adds under control up while the rest of your team takes down the elite. That way the runners don't bite at the heels of your teammates. If things are going by the book, the only direct action that you'll be taking against the big guys is using one of your skills to knock them down so that your teammates have a few more safe moments to DPS the target. Assuming a balanced team composition, things are going wrong if your demo has to duel the elites.

In general terms, the roles of each class during elite battles are the following:
    • Gunner should almost always be focusing his attention on the elite and executing them, often via overclocked shotgun blasts
    • Demo should almost always be focusing on mopping up the trash mobs.
    The above two are the only ones with truly clearly defined roles in terms of what they should be doing. The rest need to play things by ear in regards to whether or not they should be focusing on trash or the elite.
    • Technician should be sticking the elite with a charge coil to slow it. Tech might be a bit biased towards helping with the elite since a well positioned flamer turret and charge coils can deal with trash to an extent.
    • Doc should ideally have his medstation's slow positioned so that the elite will be inhibited by it.
    • Recon should be maximizing uptime on the PUP drone which should either be applying a modest slow to damn near the whole world or a more intense slow to a localized area depending on which PUP drone that he's using. An armor piercing sniper rifle build recon can probably soften elites up an appreciable amount before they get with gunner's shotgun range.
    • Phalanx sucks

SOMEBODY needs to be focused on the trash though. The absolute worst thing that you can do when an elite shows up is for the entire team to tunnel vision on the big scary elite target. The writhing mass of runners is the far greater threat to death than the elite. Elites are surprisingly low on the priorities totem pole simple because of how easy it is to put off dealing with them. You can stall for a lot of time with simple dodges. Much longer if some sort of obstacle exists to yakety-sax around. That's ESPECIALLY true if it's a vaultable obstacle. Throw crowd control skills and consumables like cryo fields into the mix and an elite can be tarpitted for absolute ages until the team finally has their plates clear enough to finally turn their attention to the elite.

Observe this clip from an intense match where somebody popped an "I made a bad call" challenge card on us to get an idea about just how utterly you can troll an elite with good kiting. This disabled our primary weapons, our secondary weapons, all of our class skills, and all of our consumables. All that we had at our disposal were our little sidearm peashooter pistols and whatever passive talents that we happened to have equipped. To come out of such a battle alive, you and the team need to have their priorities straight. The person who has elite aggro focuses on staying alive and stalling for time while the rest of the team picks apart the rest of the alien force piecemeal until you reach the point where they can finally devote their attention to the elite.

https://gfycat.com/earnestsparsehummingbird

Considering the propensity of people to tunnel vision on the elite, in unorganized play with pubbies I honestly think that it's a strong policy to place elites on the absolute bottom of your priorities list and just focus on keeping the trash off everyone's backs, with the only exception being if you're playing gunner.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Then CQC weapons

Pistols are next

Gunner first
    Recon second

You're using demolisher wrong in that case. Your heavy weapons are not for engaging the big guys. They mostly suck at engaging armored targets and are meant for mopping up the little guys en-mass. When the big guys come charging, your job as demolisher is to stay focused on keeping the adds under control up while the rest of your team takes down the elite. That way the runners don't bite at the heels of your teammates. If things are going by the book, the only direct action that you'll be taking against the big guys is using one of your skills to knock them down so that your teammates have a few more safe moments to DPS the target. Assuming a balanced team composition, things are going wrong if your demo has to duel the elites.

In general terms, the roles of each class during elite battles are the following:
    • Gunner should almost always be focusing his attention on the elite and executing them, often via overclocked shotgun blasts
    • Demo should almost always be focusing on mopping up the trash mobs.
    The above two are the only ones with truly clearly defined roles in terms of what they should be doing. The rest need to play things by ear in regards to whether or not they should be focusing on trash or the elite.
    • Technician should be sticking the elite with a charge coil to slow it. Tech might be a bit biased towards helping with the elite since a well positioned flamer turret and charge coils can deal with trash to an extent.
    • Doc should ideally have his medstation's slow positioned so that the elite will be inhibited by it.
    • Recon should be maximizing uptime on the PUP drone which should either be applying a modest slow to damn near the whole world or a more intense slow to a localized area depending on which PUP drone that he's using. An armor piercing sniper rifle build recon can probably soften elites up an appreciable amount before they get with gunner's shotgun range.
    • Phalanx sucks

SOMEBODY needs to be focused on the trash though. The absolute worst thing that you can do when an elite shows up is for the entire team to tunnel vision on the big scary elite target. The writhing mass of runners is the far greater threat to death than the elite. Elites are surprisingly low on the priorities totem pole simple because of how easy it is to put off dealing with them. You can stall for a lot of time with simple dodges. Much longer if some sort of obstacle exists to yakety-sax around. That's ESPECIALLY true if it's a vaultable obstacle. Throw crowd control skills and consumables like cryo fields into the mix and an elite can be tarpitted for absolute ages until the team finally has their plates clear enough to finally turn their attention to the elite.

Observe this clip from an intense match where somebody popped an "I made a bad call" challenge card on us to get an idea about just how utterly you can troll an elite with good kiting. This disabled our primary weapons, our secondary weapons, all of our class skills, and all of our consumables. All that we had at our disposal were our little sidearm peashooter pistols and whatever passive talents that we happened to have equipped. To come out of such a battle alive, you and the team need to have their priorities straight. The person who has elite aggro focuses on staying alive and stalling for time while the rest of the team picks apart the rest of the alien force piecemeal until you reach the point where they can finally devote their attention to the elite.

https://gfycat.com/earnestsparsehummingbird

Considering the propensity of people to tunnel vision on the elite, in unorganized play with pubbies I honestly think that it's a strong policy to place elites on the absolute bottom of your priorities list and just focus on keeping the trash off everyone's backs, with the only exception being if you're playing gunner.

Take a look at this guy

Who do you think you are some kind of armchair gen...

Oh, carry on then

• Options
    Laugh all you want. It won't make your heavy weapons efficient against the armored elites.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Laugh all you want. It won't make your heavy weapons efficient against the armored elites.

Then what the hell are we supposed to use, man, harsh language?

:D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    my only complaint having gotten finally to the last level is that I wish there was a quick turn

• Options
    I need a mod that changes the QTE prompts from WASD to arrows or something. Weirdly even after multiple decades of PC gaming, my brain doesn't know that A is Left lol.

• Options
    I need a mod that changes the QTE prompts from WASD to arrows or something. Weirdly even after multiple decades of PC gaming, my brain doesn't know that A is Left lol.

Haha I was in the same boat, it will eventually click after awhile but oh man that first week was like “fuuuuuck where is S!” says the guy who has been no look typing since they were 21… (42 almost 43 now)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Haha I was in the same boat, it will eventually click after awhile but oh man that first week was like “fuuuuuck where is S!” says the guy who has been no look typing since they were 21… (42 almost 43 now)

Yeah I had the same problem! In my head WASD is just up-down-left-right, so telling me to press S just leads to me going "fuck which one was that again, shit"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

The joke's on you!

I don't even own this game

Though only because I'm am kinda done with buying squad based shooters and then trying to pug my through them.

It's fun when it isn't a fucking nightmare but the fun to fucking nightmare ratio is not great.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    A few new updates, they fixed doc class, the heal station now recharges whenever anyone picks up a health pack and the station's secondary ability works even if you are out of power on it. AS well a quick play feature was finally fucking added. took 5 seconds to get into a game and it was a level I hadnt played in awhile.

"Doc:
    The “Trauma Station” Ability now regains energy when any player picks up an Aid Kit, instead of only granting energy to the specific Doc player that picks it up. If there is more than one Doc in the team, the energy is split between them.

The “Trauma Station” Ability Replacers (Painkiller Station and Suppression Station) can now be placed down even when out of energy.

Change to the HUD so that it now displays a notification showing the amount of energy replenished when picking up an Aid Kit, making it easier to tell when the “Trauma Station” Ability has been recharged."

"Quick Play has been added to the game! Players can now queue up for any Campaign mission that matches their Difficulty and Challenge Card preferences. This option becomes available once you complete the full campaign."

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    while the game is pretty dead on Steam due to lack of crossplay (almost always under 1K players, was down to zero at times apparently) it just recently arrived on Gamepass along with a new horde style game mode (with one map for it). IMO the game is fun but needs two things desperately: cross play and more new mission maps/settings
    https://youtu.be/23SlBAYJixU

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    while the game is pretty dead on Steam due to lack of crossplay (almost always under 1K players, was down to zero at times apparently) it just recently arrived on Gamepass along with a new horde style game mode (with one map for it). IMO the game is fun but needs two things desperately: cross play and more new mission maps/settings

It needs cross play, and it REALLY needs a quick play option, because when I played a while back every single difficulty for every single map was a separate queue

That's just a recipe for misery

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    They added quickplay a while back, which is nice, because like you said originally it was split not only by game level but by difficulty level as well, so there were something like 200+ potential queues. Now you can just pick a difficulty and go.

I played a ton of this game at launch, and I really liked it, but after beating it and fleshing out the classes I liked I really lost any steam for continuing. There just didn't seem to be as much content as I'd like - I can't complain too much, since it was only $40, but grinding missions with randos lost its appeal after a while. I'd rather see new singleplayer DLC as opposed to yet another online game mode for a game with no online playerbase.

Is the new game mode any good though?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

It needs cross play, and it REALLY needs a quick play option, because when I played a while back every single difficulty for every single map was a separate queue

That's just a recipe for misery

Wait they still haven’t patched in Quickplay? I was considering getting it but that was the huge issue I had at launch.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    As SmokeStacks put in their previous post:
    They added quickplay a while back

• Options
    Quickplay is here now, but most of the game's population left before they added it. Hopefully it can pull out of the death spiral.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I really liked the game. Sadly my core group of friends have machines that are long in the tooth and with the supply chain stuff, this has just fallen into the backlog. Crossplay would help since they have PS4's.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    NO CROSSPLAY? Fucking hell that sucks. Even Back4Blood had it.... Man that means I'll be playing solo I guess. My buddies picked it up on their Series X and I assumed I would be able to hop in with them.

• Options
    I wonder how tough it is to implement. This is a smaller studio and it seems even large AAA studios have trouble or don't bother implementing it. Deep Rock is from another small studio and the best they could do was match the Windows Store version to Xbox, no Steam to Xbox.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know. I feel like the internet is full of pipes. Put one pipe in one spot and route that pipe to another. :P

• Options
    I played it a ton, levelled everything full , bought all the cosmetics that I wanted and that was about it . I got my monies worth out of it and maybe I’d reinstall again if something big updated.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041