As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I thought that was actually a really good way of answering, especially refocusing on what he thought were actually important things in response like raising minimum wage etc.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Man I’m sick of election interviews turning into ‘what is this random statistic? OMG THEY DIDN’T KNOW RUN 40 HEADLINES’.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I would have hoped Labor would say to the unemployment rate question.
    "How good are those jobs though? Have wages risen yet?"

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I heard a quote on the radio this morning from someone from the Liberal Party blaming Labor for the fact there hasn't been an ICAC yet (was driving and didn't note their name because I didn't realise how much they were going to piss me off - that's on me I guess).

The gist of it was "Yes, we want an ICAC, but we don't want to end people's careers".

Yes! We do! If someone has been corrupt, kick them the hell out!

Edit: Found it. From AFR: https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/pm-s-219m-pitch-to-forestry-workers-20220414-p5aded?post=p53ln4
    e4ireq17vcsk.png

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That’s less ‘it’s Labors fault we don’t have a federal ICAC’ and more ‘Labor isn’t supporting our toothless show ICAC’.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Given that none of the Coalition cabinet or ministers in hot water resigned, merely gave up their front bench position their position is sadly consistent and checks out.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    "We don't want to go too far, like NSW"

Um, Gladys isn't in jail, so NSW hasn't gone far enough.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking christ, destroying careers is the whole fucking point. Corruption is a cancer on democratic society and needs to be excised and destroyed wherever it is found. Government service as an elected representative is a motherfucking privilege you are not entitled to.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Not sure how much clearly they could have said "We are very corrupt and a ICAC with teeth will end us all."

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    You know, I'm not surprised how fucking dumb Australian liberal candidates are:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-candidate-apologises-for-comparing-anti-trans-activism-to-nazi-resistance-20220414-p5adij.html

The fact she did this is just sad. I can't believe how dumb, uneducated and fucking ignorant these people are. If they knew ANYTHING about the NAZIs, it's that they fucking hated LGBTQIA people almost as much as anyone else (it wasn't just Jews they exterminated en masse in concentration camps).

One of the first NAZI approved book burnings was in 1933 when German Students stormed Magnus Hirschfeld's Institut für Sexualwissenschaft and took books on homosexuality, gender issues and so forth to stick on the pyre. One of the first transgender women Dora Richter was killed during their assault on the building, which is what makes her comparison go from just ignorant to beyond grossly inappropriate.

I can't fucking stand how dumb these people are. It's almost insufferable.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Almost?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    sometimes i think i'd be more okay with evil if they were at least smart about it

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    sometimes i think i'd be more okay with evil if they were at least smart about it

They only need to be smarter than the median voter, and sadly that's not a high bar.

MorganV on
  • Options
    She’s now ‘apologised’ for the language used.

However, a deleted tweet from earlier this year from the same person claims “50% of men with trans identities are sex offenders compared to 20% of men”. Which, yeah, this isn’t a one off thing for her.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

However, a deleted tweet from earlier this year from the same person claims “50% of men with trans identities are sex offenders compared to 20% of men”. Which, yeah, this isn’t a one off thing for her.

Has she been reading shitty crime novels written by Rowling?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

She is sorry people got angry at her, she is not sorry about her words or actions.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Yeah, that was the point of the quotation marks.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    She has now apologised 3 times because there was so much horrific things she said and did. 1st for the "language" (gross), then again for the nazi comparison, and then later that day for the made up sexual assault statistics.

Morrison personally bent the rules to get her nominated, but wants us to believe he knew none of this from her freely available social media and podcast appearances.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    She’s running in Warringah who voted out Abbott largely over his conservative views.

If Liberals keep her in, Zali Steggall will have an easy win.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm a bit over the NZ govt's appraoch to things being

1. we might do this
    2. we're asking for input/permission to do it
    3. jk, step 1 is that we already decided to do it and how it will be done

At this point when I see a "we're asking for input" ad campaign, my assumption is that any relevant decisions have already been made regardless of whatever feedback is received. Step 2 feels more like PR than anything else.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So congratulations to Zali on her re-election

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This was the person Scott Morrison specifically overruled NSW liberals to run.

Like holy shit.

• Options
    This was the person Scott Morrison specifically overruled NSW liberals to run.

Like holy shit.

Scotty has always been a great judge of character. I mean, he was pushing for Gladys to run before the ink had dried on her resignation for involvement in a state ICAC investigation.

Speaking of great characters, apparently Clive Palmer fell off stage.

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/united-australia-party-leader-clive-palmer-rushed-to-hospital-after-stage-fall/news-story/d71321bc3eea9c453ea67302c43135c6
    "United Australia Party leader Clive Palmer rushed to hospital after stage fall"

Normally, I wouldn't actively cheer on a stage fall... so I'll be silent on it, and just think it instead.

Apparently it's his second fall in recent weeks while campaigning. Hopefully he takes the hint.

Obligatory "Fuck off, Clive.".

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm a bit over the NZ govt's appraoch to things being

1. we might do this
    2. we're asking for input/permission to do it
    3. jk, step 1 is that we already decided to do it and how it will be done

At this point when I see a "we're asking for input" ad campaign, my assumption is that any relevant decisions have already been made regardless of whatever feedback is received. Step 2 feels more like PR than anything else.

Not sure what in specific you’re referring to, but my wife tells me this is exactly what’s happening with the 3 waters stuff she’s dealing with via work lol

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    3 Waters would be step 3, but I'm seeing a couple of things currently at Step 2 through facebook/tv advertising. A review of road speed being the main one. I'm in favour of lower speeds mostly, they clearly reduce the road toll (we know this from the period when NZ had a max speed of 80kmph). But... I'm waiting for the eventual "jk, we already decided what we're doing before we asked".

• Options
    And more again.

Completely convinced this is WHY she was picked. Draws attention away from much of the rest of LNP, and forces Labor to comment who, whoops, aren't saying much!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    She was never going to win Warringah. The LNP knows this, and they also need their anti LGBTQ platform, so putting her there let’s them have that platform from someone who isn’t actually trying to win, because they won’t, but also without Scotty having to be the one that says it.

She’s a sacrificial megaphone.

• Options
    She was never going to win Warringah. The LNP knows this, and they also need their anti LGBTQ platform, so putting her there let’s them have that platform from someone who isn’t actually trying to win, because they won’t, but also without Scotty having to be the one that says it.

She’s a sacrificial megaphone.

Although Scotties "I agree with her views" puts a dampener on that plan if there was one.

I think it's less conspiratorial than that and they're just idiots. They don't have shame and I genuinely think they believe more people uncritically support their bigotry than they realize.

• Options
    I mean, I would say more people uncritically support their bigotry than many here realise.
    They keep getting voted in.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I mean, I would say more people uncritically support their bigotry than many here realise.
    They keep getting voted in.

It is deeply disappointing that we have wasted almost a decade of government to Coalition rule due to Labor infighting and general incompetence.

Bill Shorten's impatience for the Prime Ministership was a blight, rivaled only by the sheer fucking malice and incompetence of the Coalition.

Kelor on
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »

I don’t get the Stolen Generation comparison at all.

• Options
    "This" was a court case.
    The case involved a Canadian man who was arrested and jailed after repeatedly violating a court order that banned him from speaking publicly about his son’s gender transition.

The teenager was born as a female and reportedly identifies as transgender and prefers the use of male pronouns.

The father's lawyer's argument:
    The father and his legal team have cast the case in terms of personal liberties, arguing in court filings that the court’s order that he use his child’s chosen identity amounts to “totalitarian interference”.

“It’s a case about freedom of speech and the freedom to parent,” Carey Linde, the father’s lawyer, told the Guardian.
    The Stolen Generation comparison is making it about the family and the government "interfering".

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hell, knifing Rudd was the beginning of it really

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Ah so it was a parent not wanting a trans child and the government saying ‘don’t be an asshole’?

• Options
    Ah so it was a parent not wanting a trans child and the government saying ‘don’t be an asshole’?

Until married, many religious households regard children as something akin to property to do whatever they want with (in particular, enforce only their beliefs).

• Options
    Holy shit - LNP campaigning on dropping the required home loan deposit down to 2% and no required mortgage insurance.

That’s not going to help the housing market at all you dipshits, there’s just going to be hundreds of thousand, maybe millions defaulting when we see a couple of minor rate rises.

Average Sydney house prices are $1.4 million. Letting people get that home loan on a $28,000 deposit with no insurance… that’s going to backfire massively.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Holy shit - LNP campaigning on dropping the required home loan deposit down to 2% and no required mortgage insurance.

That’s not going to help the housing market at all you dipshits, there’s just going to be hundreds of thousand, maybe millions defaulting when we see a couple of minor rate rises.

Average Sydney house prices are $1.4 million. Letting people get that home loan on a $28,000 deposit with no insurance… that’s going to backfire massively.

it'll be ok, they'll just blame it on labor

broken image link
  • Options
    Yup. A smart buyer isn't going to be sucked in, but they're also going to be prices out of the market.

Because hey, previously if you had $50K, your limit was $1M. Now, $50K gives you an upper limit of $2.5M. Granted, you won't necessarily get a loan for that amount, but you might try and squeeze 1.1, 1.2, maybe 1.5, off of a $22-30K deposit.

Smart buyer can't compete with stupid buyer, and stupid buyer has to deal with having an extra 3% tacked on to their principal, which given the nature of home loans isn't just going to be an extra $30K in repayments.

It's dumb policy that looks good if you're not thinking it through, or don't understand the math involved.

The removal of mortgage insurance, is that a borrower thing or a lender thing? As in, is it what the banks pay, or the buyer? If tge former, any bank that doesn't still do it, is fucking stupid, and should not be bailed out if a run on defaults bankrupts them.