As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SCOTUS] thread (Leak talk over thar)

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
All rise, the new SCOTUS thread is back in session. It was an eventful almost 3 years, which saw the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg mere weeks before the 2020 election, and the subsequent ramming through Congress of Federalist Society Bot 3.0, to dispense additional copies of the Federalist Society preapproved rulings.

A few ground rules, as previously noted:
Expectations for this thread

1. This is not the general politics or lol this party sucks thread.
2. This is a thread about the US Supreme Court, if it doesn't have anything to do with SCOTUS, it doesn't belong here.
3. Not all things about SCOTUS belong here. Some cases dealing with certain issues, already have a thread or their own gosh darn separate thread that is more appropriate to discuss a certain SCOTUS rulings or cases.
4. In the event that a tangent regarding something involving SCOTUS has it's own thread created after the discussion starts in this thread, then move the discussion over to the new thread. (Also appreciated if people link to the new thread to help others out).
5. In the event that we get a SCOTUS vacancy in the lifetime of this thread, this would probably be the best place to discuss such an appointment given how low traffic this thread is likely to be. (leaving this for posterity and lols - SIG)
5a. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett are seated. My feelings on the matter can be found here. I don't know if there's much ground for meaningful discussion in screaming into the void at the injustice of it all, or having the same multi-page arguments with the few posters who do approve of the Federalist Society Robots. Probably for the best to stick to just the facts, and discuss new things going forward.

scotusblog.com is the go to place for things relevant to what's going on. Of special note as of late is the increasingly used Shadow Docket, which sounds spooky like something out of Yugioh. Briefly: Shadow Docket explained.

The most high profile ruling lately was SCOTUS via Shadow Docket effectively overturning Roe v. Wade in Texas, by letting Texas's new Abortion Bill stand after hearing no arguments in an unsigned decision by 5 conservative justices (Roberts ruled with the liberals). Abortion thread.

Additional details on abortion ruling.

Perhaps sensing that public opinion is shifting on the nature of the Court, Amy Barrett has been defending the Courts' reputation.

I know it's infuriating at times, but there's a lot of high effort in the weeds discussion in here, so I hope it can continue.

20081022.gif

silence1186 on
Eddy
«13456754

Posts

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    As for me, I think Amy Barrett is 100% wrong. The SCOTUS is definitely a bunch of partisan hacks. It's basically become a tiny Legislature with no term limits that rules via fiat. All three of the last's president's picks had various shades of problems that we won't rehash, but going forward SCOTUS is going to murder democracy unless it's checked via court packing. Hopefully public opinion continues to turn against SCOTUS as they more flagrantly abuse their authority.

    silence1186 on
    GilgaronBigJoeMTetraNitroCubaneshrykeWhelkkimeMartini_PhilosopherCommander ZoomzagdrobDoctorArchMatevIlpalaFencingsaxA Kobold's KoboldDarkPrimusGnome-InterruptusJaysonFourRingoPolaritie38thDoeMorganVKristmas KthulhuOrcaAntinumericMunkus BeaverZonugalStabbity StylerndmheroSleepbrynhrtmnAistanElvenshaeNetscapeMagellGiantGeek2020Lord_AsmodeusKamarForarVeagleEddypainfulPleasance
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I guess Barrett isn't as dumb as she appears. She's still a very garbage person.

    Anyways, as Hedgie mentioned, legitimacy of the court is important to the smarter garbage republicans because they understand that court legitimacy gets them some things. The big one is they don't want the left viewing the court as partisan because once that happens, being able to get seats filled by non-republicans becomes a much larger driver for the left to turn out in elections. Another large issue for them is that if the courts get viewed as illegitimate, that will result in a push reform the courts and purge them of individuals that are considered too partisan. Also if you're hitting this point, you're probably also losing the centrist vote as well.

    Really where things break down and what shitheads like Roberts and Barrett care about in regards to court legitimacy, is how it allows their side to continue to have power and not have any disadvantages in elections that jeopardizes that power. If the court loses it's legitimacy, it becomes a huge liability for the right to maintain it's power.

    BigJoeMFencingsaxEddy
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Per last thread, I imagine Barrett probably has enough ego to be unhappy about people thinking she's unqualified for the position she's been installed in, through no merit of her own, to further the agenda and undo RBG's legacy/Own Teh Libz - that she did not, in any way, earn this.
    (Because, well, it's true.)

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    MosatiBigJoeMsilence1186shrykeMartini_PhilosopherMatevkimeFencingsaxA Kobold's KoboldGnome-InterruptusJaysonFourRingoMorganVoverride367Stabbity StyleLord_AsmodeusKamarVeagleEddypainfulPleasance
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Oh, I totally agree that probably some of her butthurt has to do with the fact that people are calling her out for both not being qualified for the job and only getting it because the right needed another hack. Likely the right picked her because they still operate on the stupid notion that if you pick a minority to tear down something that helps that minority, it'll somehow make it less worse. Many of them still don't get that people do actually care about the actual policies.

    Anyways, Barrett strikes me as the typical shitty conservative that believes they are entitled to everything. So they get major butthurt if you ever point out that they didn't earn something; especially, if you insinuate that it was stolen. IMO there is a very good argument to be made that Barrett is sitting in a stolen seat.

    Commander ZoomMartini_PhilosopherFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeNetscapeLord_Asmodeus
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Any Federalist Society Robot would rule largely the same on any issue even remotely controversial.

    That's kind of the point of the Federalist Society. To cultivate a school of thinking.

    FencingsaxGnome-InterruptusDark_Sideemp123Stabbity StyleMagellEddy
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Wait, why is Barret sitting in a stolen seat? Wouldn't Gorsuch be the one you'd make that argument for, since he was Trump's first appointee after McConnell's "no justice for you" schtick?

  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There's more than one, unfortunately. :(

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Gnome-InterruptusMillMarathonbrynhrtmnNetscapeBlackDragon480
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Wait, why is Barret sitting in a stolen seat? Wouldn't Gorsuch be the one you'd make that argument for, since he was Trump's first appointee after McConnell's "no justice for you" schtick?

    They both are, Gorsuch because they didn't let Obama seat his pick, and Barret for ignoring their own rules to ramrod a replacement in before the president lost the election.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    DoodmannIncenjucarDarkPrimusshrykeMartini_PhilosopherJaysonFourDark_SideMatevGnome-InterruptusRingoMillzagdrobDoctorArchThawmusCalicaemp123N1tSt4lkerelectricitylikesmeMorganVadejaanKristmas KthulhuMunkus Beaverdurandal4532Stabbity StylebrynhrtmnAistanElvenshaeMagellLord_AsmodeusBlackDragon480KamarVeagleKayne Red Robe
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If you need to tell people that you aren't a partisan hack, well...

    ThisPartisanHackT-Shirt.meme

    Commander ZoomPreachershrykeMartini_PhilosopherJaysonFourDark_SideGnome-InterruptusRingozagdrobN1tSt4lkerelectricitylikesmeElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusKamarKayne Red RobeEddy
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Commander ZoomFencingsaxA Kobold's KoboldDoodmannDarkPrimusshrykePhoenix-DkimeMartini_PhilosopherJaysonFourMatevGnome-InterruptusRingozagdrobDoctorArchMarathonBigJoeMemp123MorganVNobodyKristmas KthulhuMunkus BeaverStabbity StylebrynhrtmnAistanElvenshaeNetscapeLord_AsmodeusKamarVeagleEddypainfulPleasance
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    PreachershrykeMartini_PhilosopherJaysonFourDark_SideMatevGnome-InterruptusCommander Zoomzagdrobemp123FencingsaxelectricitylikesmeMorganVQanamilStabbity StyleXantomasbrynhrtmnEinzelAistanElvenshaeMagellLord_AsmodeusKamarVeagleKayne Red RobeEddypainfulPleasance
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    What was worse is he didn't need to and was going to get on SCOTUS no matter what anyone said. So it was permformative for Trump and Trump loved it.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    FencingsaxElvenshae
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    Even more embarrassing was that conservatives loved it. This is how they view manhood. A manchild screaming in rage.

    Captain InertiaMartini_PhilosopherGilgaronMatevGnome-InterruptusCommander ZoomIncenjucaremp123FencingsaxelectricitylikesmeStabbity StyleXantomasbrynhrtmnAistanElvenshaeNetscapeMagellLord_AsmodeusBlackDragon480DisruptedCapitalistKamarVeagleKayne Red RobeEddypainfulPleasance
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean we saw that with their love of Trump, their idea of what constitutes "Good" for anyone is "do they agree with me."

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    Even more embarrassing was that conservatives loved it. This is how they view manhood. A manchild screaming in rage.

    The Limbaugh strain is all about fighting back against others that would hold white men accountable in myriad ways for myriad sins and undeserved privileges

    Hence why that fucker made such a huge point about smoking during his shows after smoking bans in public places started being implemented, contributing directly to his presumably horrible but awesome death

  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    No one is going to convince me he wasn't coked out of his gourd during that sad showing. I will never understand why Kennedy hand picked Kavanaugh as his successor, or why so many in Yale Law circles circled the wagons around him. Brett was such a known creep that Amy Chua (of Tiger Mom infamy) and her husband were reported to have groomed female applicants for Kavanaugh clerkships by telling them to dress sexy for interviews, because Brett was known to hire a certain "type."

    Everywhere you look in Brett's background it's massive red flag after massive red flag. And it's been proven that he lied to congress. Yet somehow he was THE GUY to be put on the court.

    Dark_Side on
    DoodmannCommander ZoomRingoFencingsaxN1tSt4lkerGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusKayne Red RobepainfulPleasance
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wasn't Kavanaugh the one with the gambling debt that mysteriously disappeared? It's a sad indictment of the Republican Party that they couldn't have found a less obviously shit candidate that would have ruled the same way.

    steam_sig.png
    DoodmannDark_SidePreacherFencingsaxN1tSt4lkerJaysonFourGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleHefflingbrynhrtmnElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusKayne Red Robe
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    No one is going to convince me he wasn't coked out of his gourd during that sad showing. I will never understand why Kennedy hand picked Kavanaugh as his successor, or why so many in Yale Law circles circled the wagons around him. Brett was such a known creep that Amy Chua (of Tiger Mom infamy) and her husband were reported to have groomed female applicants for Kavanaugh clerkships by telling them to dress sexy for interviews, because Brett was known to hire a certain "type."

    Everywhere you look in Brett's background it's massive red flag after massive red flag. And it's been proven that he lied to congress. Yet somehow he was THE GUY to be put on the court.

    On the one hand... why not help someone you have leverage over get power, I guess? It isn't any use having leverage over the general manager at the Taco Bell. Although maybe getting them a lifetime appointment is a bit much for that idea, since leverage is only useful if you can use it to ruin them, and I'm not sure what it'd take to get him to resign in shame.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    No one is going to convince me he wasn't coked out of his gourd during that sad showing. I will never understand why Kennedy hand picked Kavanaugh as his successor, or why so many in Yale Law circles circled the wagons around him. Brett was such a known creep that Amy Chua (of Tiger Mom infamy) and her husband were reported to have groomed female applicants for Kavanaugh clerkships by telling them to dress sexy for interviews, because Brett was known to hire a certain "type."

    Everywhere you look in Brett's background it's massive red flag after massive red flag. And it's been proven that he lied to congress. Yet somehow he was THE GUY to be put on the court.

    Simple: They don't want people looking for their skeletons after they unearthed Kavanaugh's, plus some argle-bargle about prestige and comity that's just more of the elites protecting the elites from any sort of accountability or meritocracy, despite their claims to the contrary.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Dark_SideFencingsax
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    No one is going to convince me he wasn't coked out of his gourd during that sad showing. I will never understand why Kennedy hand picked Kavanaugh as his successor, or why so many in Yale Law circles circled the wagons around him. Brett was such a known creep that Amy Chua (of Tiger Mom infamy) and her husband were reported to have groomed female applicants for Kavanaugh clerkships by telling them to dress sexy for interviews, because Brett was known to hire a certain "type."

    Everywhere you look in Brett's background it's massive red flag after massive red flag. And it's been proven that he lied to congress. Yet somehow he was THE GUY to be put on the court.

    On the one hand... why not help someone you have leverage over get power, I guess? It isn't any use having leverage over the general manager at the Taco Bell. Although maybe getting them a lifetime appointment is a bit much for that idea, since leverage is only useful if you can use it to ruin them, and I'm not sure what it'd take to get him to resign in shame.

    We could find out his gambling debts were actually loans to ISIS and he would never resign, and every GOP politician and TV pundit would make excuse after excuse for why this one time it's actually ok. The truth is though that Kavanaugh is still a neophyte when it comes to corruption. Alito, Thomas, and the late Scalia are/were masters of it. (Though in truth basically all of the justices enjoy a spread of questionably ethical job perks.)

    Dark_Side on
    Commander ZoomMatevMartini_Philosopheremp123FencingsaxN1tSt4lkerkimeJaysonFourGnome-InterruptusAistanNetscapeLord_AsmodeusVeagleKayne Red RobepainfulPleasance
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean shit Scotus beer also has hinky as fuck shit with how Kennedy retired and his debts got paid off. Basically everyone of Trump's picks are suspect and should not be there.

    Man watching him act/be pissed during his hearing was embarrassing to witness in a grown adult.

    No one is going to convince me he wasn't coked out of his gourd during that sad showing. I will never understand why Kennedy hand picked Kavanaugh as his successor, or why so many in Yale Law circles circled the wagons around him. Brett was such a known creep that Amy Chua (of Tiger Mom infamy) and her husband were reported to have groomed female applicants for Kavanaugh clerkships by telling them to dress sexy for interviews, because Brett was known to hire a certain "type."

    Everywhere you look in Brett's background it's massive red flag after massive red flag. And it's been proven that he lied to congress. Yet somehow he was THE GUY to be put on the court.

    The Yale Law peeps circling the wagon is easy to understand.

    PreacherCommander Zoomemp123FencingsaxJaysonFourCaptain InertiaLord_AsmodeusBlackDragon480OptyKamarMrMonroeKayne Red RobepainfulPleasance
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Wasn't Kavanaugh the one with the gambling debt that mysteriously disappeared? It's a sad indictment of the Republican Party that they couldn't have found a less obviously shit candidate that would have ruled the same way.

    That's the thing. We don't know what the debt was for because the White House in conjunction with the Senate decided that the one page summary of Kavanaugh's fiances was enough. There was no further investigation over it.

    This is one of the many things the current head of the FBI has been facing political hot water over. Since the FBI was supposed be doing the background checks independent of both the White House and Senate, but appear have not done that.

    Which means that all the public knows is some investigative reporters did a bit of digging and found around two hundred-thousand dollars was "donated anonymously" right before he was put forth as a candidate. We do not have any of that information verified, nor do we have a complete picture as to what the state of Kav's fiances were before his appointment. Right now, getting the FBI to do any of what they should have done is...difficult. There are some who probably want to, but getting the green light to do so is a massive challenge. Not the least of which is the Beltway insiders who have largely moved on and don't want to disrupt the status quo. Or make the court have a lower standing in public. Or put more egg on Robert's face. Or give the progressive caucus more ammunition for packing the court.

    You can see where all of those things might be a problem for people who are deeply invested in the status quo.

    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
    DoodmannCommander ZoomBigJoeMPreacheremp123FencingsaxIncenjucarNetscapeLord_AsmodeusVeagle
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    ABC news with an update for Breyer.



    Absolutely rules that we get our choice of being ruled by either evil or stupid people.

    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    DarkPrimusCommander ZoomMartini_PhilosopherZeroCowN1tSt4lkerMorganVXaquinThawmusKristmas KthulhuTetraNitroCubanekimeJaysonFourZonugaldurandal4532override367Stabbity StyleIncenjucarbrynhrtmnAistanKraintElvenshaeMagellLord_AsmodeusBlackDragon480KamarKayne Red RobepainfulPleasance
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular


    Tweeter is a Scotus reporter for Washington Post.

    New low for #scotus among voters: negative 37 – 50 percent job approval rating, with 13 percent no opinion. "This is the worst job approval since Quinnipiac University began asking the question in 2004, and a steep drop from July 2020, when registered voters approved 52 – 37 %"

    This is probably why Barrett is out here trying to damage control, Scotus has their lowest approval and that's with them just shadow docketing crap. God knows what will happen when they start having to answer arguments and we can see their bad reasoning.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dark_SideFencingsaxCommander ZoomJaysonFourMartini_PhilosopherMillKristmas KthulhuShadowfireshrykeN1tSt4lkerElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusKamaremp123
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is. This polling also seems to affirm that Roberts' attempts to play the middle were more or less working until the court basically went off the deep end last year.

    Edit: Some may remember that 2020 was the year Alito gave a straight up political stump speech to the federalist society where he bitched and moaned about same sex marriages, pandemic shut downs, the morning after pill, and the fact that 5 Democratic Senators had the audacity to call the court partisan. I'm starting to really suspect that Alito is mostly responsible for these shadow docket shenanigans and is basically now running the court as a king.

    Dark_Side on
    PreacherFencingsaxCommander ZoomPhoenix-DMatevJaysonFourMartini_PhilosopherMillShadowfireGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleIncenjucarN1tSt4lkerMagellLord_AsmodeusBlackDragon480Opty
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dark_SideCommander ZoomPhoenix-DMatevMartini_PhilosopherMillRingoDoctorArchCaptain InertiaGnome-Interruptusoverride367Stabbity StyleshrykeMunkus BeaverElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusKamaremp123Kayne Red Robe
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    ElvenshaeNetscape
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    XaquinThawmusCommander ZoomMatevMartini_PhilosopherMillKristmas KthulhuDoctorArchGnome-InterruptusBandableMunkus BeaverLord_Asmodeusadytumemp123Veagle
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    I kind of get it with someone like Breyer who's basically devoted his life to the institution, and as an elderly, white male, will never have to experience the fallout from such disastrous policy making as the court is now doing. Of course someone like that would be tempted to play it safe and tell people its all fine, trust the process. At least Kagan gets it and she's ringing every alarm bell she can.

    But the TX law tears at the very foundation of American law. It blows up the idea of standing and offloads justice to the whims of a vigilante mob. It's a national embarrassment that they hide behind an unsigned memo, and at a minimum, the liberal justices (or even better, Roberts) should be pointing out exactly who wrote that garbage so they have to fucking own it.

    Dark_Side on
    Commander ZoomWhelkMartini_PhilosopherKristmas KthulhuRingoIncenjucarN1tSt4lkerElvenshaeNetscapeKnight_Lord_Asmodeusemp123Kayne Red RobestopgappainfulPleasance
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    He's protecting his own personal power and prestige. Like, if Biden or a Dem Congress goes all in on a revision to SCOTUS that may or may not involve court packing, he's just going to see as a liability, an old man just holding to power until he dies. After the RBG saga, no way that he doesn't get heavily pressured to leave. So, to protect his ego, he's out there pretending that everything is normal.

    At least term limits would put a measure of control on these kind of egocentric games.

    Dark_SideFencingsaxMatevBigJoeMMartini_PhilosopherIncenjucarNetscapeLord_Asmodeus
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    The problem isn't that Breyer would be responsible for current situation, it's that admitting there's a problem with SCOTUS means he's got a responsibility to try and fix things. And the only real moves he can take then are 1) retire now so the balance of power doesn't get any worse 2) give interviews going after the institution and people he's spent decades working with/for.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    FencingsaxRingoDark_SideElvenshaeNetscape
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    The problem isn't that Breyer would be responsible for current situation, it's that admitting there's a problem with SCOTUS means he's got a responsibility to try and fix things. And the only real moves he can take then are 1) retire now so the balance of power doesn't get any worse 2) give interviews going after the institution and people he's spent decades working with/for.

    I was mostly going for this, yeah

    RingoMatev
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Wait, why is Barret sitting in a stolen seat? Wouldn't Gorsuch be the one you'd make that argument for, since he was Trump's first appointee after McConnell's "no justice for you" schtick?

    They both are, Gorsuch because they didn't let Obama seat his pick, and Barret for ignoring their own rules to ramrod a replacement in before the president lost the election.
    I think you can call one or the other a stolen seat, but not both. Either McConnell's rule was bullshit to begin with, and Gorsuch is illegitimate, or the rule was valid, and Barret is illegitimate.

    The fact that the GOP violated its own made up rules makes them hypocrites, but it doesn't make both seats illegitimate.

    Xaquinsilence1186MrMisterElkicckerberoszepherinElJeffeDark_SideBlackDragon480
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    You can call both stolen seats if you recognize that there is some merit to not rushing to confirm a seat in mere weeks, but not in refusing to even hold hearings for a year.

    HappylilElfFencingsaxzagdrobMorganVJaysonFourMartini_PhilosopherKristmas KthulhuGnome-InterruptusMatevPreacherzepherinIncenjucarshrykeMillCalicakimeAistanEinzelMunkus BeaverAimElvenshaeNetscapeLord_AsmodeusRingoBlackDragon480Kamaremp123ForarVeaglepainfulPleasance
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    You can call both stolen seats if you recognize that there is some merit to not rushing to confirm a seat in mere weeks, but not in refusing to even hold hearings for a year.

    This.

    There's a valid argument to be made that filing a court seat a few weeks before a presidential election is sketchy as hell and that claiming that nine months is just too close to an election to fill a seat is utter bullshit.

    FencingsaxBigJoeMMorganVJaysonFourMartini_PhilosopherKristmas KthulhuGnome-InterruptusMatevDoodmannPreacherIncenjucarCalicaN1tSt4lkerkimeAistanMunkus Beaverragnarok7331ElvenshaeLord_AsmodeusRingoemp123Kayne Red Robe
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    The problem isn't that Breyer would be responsible for current situation, it's that admitting there's a problem with SCOTUS means he's got a responsibility to try and fix things. And the only real moves he can take then are 1) retire now so the balance of power doesn't get any worse 2) give interviews going after the institution and people he's spent decades working with/for.

    I was mostly going for this, yeah

    Yep, it's been impressive how powerful thisisfine.jpg is and how many people are willing to invoke it to get through the day.

    I'd also like to pitch One [SCOTUS] to Rule Them All, and in the Shadow Docket Bind Them as a possible thread title. It's been gnawing at me.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Gnome-InterruptusMartini_Philosopherani_game_bumKristmas KthulhuMorganVkimeElvenshaeemp123Forar
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    The problem isn't that Breyer would be responsible for current situation, it's that admitting there's a problem with SCOTUS means he's got a responsibility to try and fix things. And the only real moves he can take then are 1) retire now so the balance of power doesn't get any worse 2) give interviews going after the institution and people he's spent decades working with/for.

    I was mostly going for this, yeah

    Yep, it's been impressive how powerful thisisfine.jpg is and how many people are willing to invoke it to get through the day.

    I'd also like to pitch One [SCOTUS] to Rule Them All, and in the Shadow Docket Bind Them as a possible thread title. It's been gnawing at me.

    Stealing this, thanks. :whistle:

    MorganV38thDoezepherinGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxKruiteLord_AsmodeusRingoemp123ForarKayne Red Robe
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    According to Quinnipiac, only 37% of Americans approve of how the Supreme Court is doing its job.

    I am slightly encouraged by new polling showing people disapproving of the Court. It is depressing how many people still think of it as basically non-partisan and necessary instead of an even less representative and more conservative legislative arm than the Senate already is. I don't hold out a lot of hope for significant changes to the court to make it less destructive, but if there are going to be any it'll require getting the public to stop seeing them as inherently worthy of respect.

    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Commander ZoomGnome-InterruptusWhelkNetscapeRingo
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    Because if there were a problem, then he would be partially responsible.

    That's not true at all though. Like just because he's on SCOTUS doesn't mean its his fault the conservatives have gone "ehh fuck it rules don't matter to us." This is the dumb meme of an argument "you say people are bad yet you are people." Like Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor have absolutely nothing to do with the current bullshit going on with SCOTUS and trying to say its not partisan just gives them cover to be more partisan.

    If the court is political, Breyer has no excuse to not resign, because his excuse has been "that would be political"

    TBH the Democrats should more or less run with the narrative that SCOTUS more or less did the Texas law, voter support for taking a wrecking ball to the court should be a priority

    Left dems need to use this to point out Roe is effectively killed
    Centrist dems need to point out that now, nothing stops a leftist state from passing a bounty law whenever anyone purchases a semi-automatic handgun

    override367 on
    BigJoeMdurandal4532IncenjucarFencingsaxKristmas KthulhuElvenshaeNetscapeDoctorArchLord_AsmodeuselectricitylikesmeRingoVeagle
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Yep, it doesn't seem to be an accident that suddenly Barrett and Breyer are out in the media talking about how totally non-partisan and what a battle of ideas the court is.

    It kind of pissed me off Breyer was doing that shit too. Like if the reasoning is shit and it is, how is it not nakedly political? Why damage control your broken institution?

    He might very well die in office because he considers himself to be doing important work in a venerable institution. He’s the last person I’d expect to agree with the idea that SCOTUS is full of partisan hacks, or say it out loud if he did.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
    Captain InertiashrykeGnome-InterruptusMrMisterFencingsaxNetscapeLord_AsmodeusNobeard
Sign In or Register to comment.