As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics Thread] Government-running Cons accused of running cons in government

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Farsi doesn't do it and with a persian co worker lemme tell you, Farsi sound pretty crazy to listen to.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Turkish manages to be so non-gendered that doesn't even have gendered third-person-singular pronouns.
    Czech manages to have Masculine Animate, Masculine Inanimate, Feminine, and Neuter gendered nouns, all with their own declensions.

Languages!

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    If you have trouble with nous with one gender, just wait until you get to nouns that can be both genders for no particular reason, like après-midi.

Speaking of gendered nouns, we've been having fun water-cooler debates over the correct feminine form of traditionally-masculine profession names when women hold these professions. Some people argue for a silent E at the end (matching the base rule for the feminine form of adjectives, so auteur becomes auteure), others for new word endings (popularly changing auteur to autrice). In all cases the unstated agreed-upon premise is that referring to women using masculine nouns is wrong.

So imagine my surprise when I heard echoes from the other side of the Atlantic, where the Académie Française has apparently been fighting back against "incorrect" femininisation of masculine profession nouns. They've apparently spent years on Twitter fighting back every time someone congratulated a woman who was elected mayor, correcting anyone calling her "la maire" to say "non non non, elle est madame le maire". But, despite this clearly productive and beneficial contribution to language and society, they finally conceded defeat and accepted that a woman can be "la maire"... in 2020. They have instead taken on a new fight, drawing the line against Québec's well-accepted-since-before-I-was-born feminine form of the word mairesse.

sig.gif
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yes, I was shocked to learn that Québécois were radical feminists because we used "La ministre Pauline Marois."

At least according to l'Académie Française et France's radical feminists.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's useful to remember that the relationship of masculine, feminine, and gender in grammar and in actuality is tenuous at best

The more accurate name is "noun class". Some languages have more than 10!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Also, from what I read, American and languages from Asia tend to have none... Probably a coincidence, but I don't know if there's any real indication that they are related.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Also, from what I read, American and languages from Asia tend to have none... Probably a coincidence, but I don't know if there's any real indication that they are related.

I'd say coincidence. We're talking about a language split that took place at least 16,000 years ago, and more depending on which Asian and American language you're talking about. Plenty of time for both languages to evolve separately into completely different beasts with completely different rules.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Today in atlantic culture news, I woke up today to discover my neighbor has put up an enormous 12+ foot inflatable Santa on their yard. This is the first time in the 4 years I've been here that they've done this.

Motherfucker, it's November 12th. Bonus points: They still have a Halloween spider in their window.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Today in atlantic culture news, I woke up today to discover my neighbor has put up an enormous 12+ foot inflatable Santa on their yard. This is the first time in the 4 years I've been here that they've done this.

Motherfucker, it's November 12th. Bonus points: They still have a Halloween spider in their window.

If you need an alibi, I'm willing to say you were in Montréal the whole time, so you cannot possibly have deflated that Santa by pinning a note that with "Not until December" to it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

If you need an alibi, I'm willing to say you were in Montréal the whole time, so you cannot possibly have deflated that Santa by pinning a note that with "Not until December" to it.

Haha. Honestly I couldn't give a hoot either way. The people here have always been really odd with how dang early they start putting up their Christmas stuff. This is just the first year this neighbor has done something this extravagant. The thing is slightly taller than the damn house for pete's sake! They have little kids living with them this year though, so I imagine they're over the moon with it.

Last year the neighbor on the other side also put up inflatables, but closer to Christmas. A very tasteful 6ft Darth Vader,

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

We call that holiday Christmasween.

sig.gif
  • Options

If you need help, I can eat the poutine and drink the beer you will buy for him when you take him out to a restaurant to celebrate his arrival in Montreal.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I changed the thread title back to something legible for those who aren't cool enough to transliterate Greek.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Our neighbours across the street have the inflatable lawn ornament thing going on, they put up 4 or 5 different ones through the year. Halloween was a shark rising out of the lawn swallowing someone headfirst with the legs sticking out. I'm sort of indifferent, we just do lights at xmas only in december and down jan 1 - but hey, whatever you like. We walk Cooper the beagle every morning and saw some guy walking his kids to school and the littlest one was (semi fearfully) approaching the deadly shark to poke it, and then howling with laughter when he realized it was fake so that was pretty funny/cool.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god. Without context I thought this was some weird necro’d thread I didn’t remember posting in…

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I could read it fine I figured it out

I also oit chirstmas.lights put Nov 5th cause fuck doing that in the sno or cold

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My main petty issue with French is why a group of women is 'Elles', but the moment a man joins that group, it reverts to 'Ils'.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    My main petty issue with French is why a group of women is 'Elles', but the moment a man joins that group, it reverts to 'Ils'.

Given the role of the Académie Française in France, I suppose that they could tweak the definition of the words so that they’re more interchangeable. That would eventually work its way into common speech. I doubt that they would make changes any time soon; they are by nature a fairly conservative group from what I understand. But on a long enough time scale I think that there’s hope.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't mind Christmas stuff in November... but decorations and the take over of retail spaces should only be allowed out after Rememberance Day.

• Options
    Turn out that having gender-neutral pronouns does not work that well when they are also the masculine pronouns.
    People don't notice the gender-neutrality in that case, for some reason...
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Given the role of the Académie Française in France, I suppose that they could tweak the definition of the words so that they’re more interchangeable. That would eventually work its way into common speech. I doubt that they would make changes any time soon; they are by nature a fairly conservative group from what I understand. But on a long enough time scale I think that there’s hope.
    The good news is that, essentially, not one care about l'Académie Française, especially in Québec. That's a good news because they are not just old and conservative, they are prescriptivist idiots and don't want the language to evolve with society.

• Options

It always feels weird to me, writing a long list of feminine objects and using masculine pronouns to refer to them because one masculine one slipped in the middle somewhere

Unfortunately, encoded sexism is not a language feature unique to French.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

What’s the French for patriarchy?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, fun fact, it appears that what I think of as the definitive French dictionary (Robert) has just added a gender neutral pronoun. “Iels”. Quite what this does to grammar, I do not know.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    So, fun fact, it appears that what I think of as the definitive French dictionary (Robert) has just added a gender neutral pronoun. “Iels”. Quite what this does to grammar, I do not know.

Urg. Why do people creating gender neutral things keep ignoring basic phonology. This sounds like a slight mispronounciation of "il." Something like "ol" would have kept the vowel-"l" pattern, but wouldn't be confused. This is like "froeur", which sounds like"frère." It's almost as bad as craming Xs everywhere.

mrondeau on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

The good news is that, essentially, not one care about l'Académie Française, especially in Québec. That's a good news because they are not just old and conservative, they are prescriptivist idiots and don't want the language to evolve with society.
    We all have some reservations about this sort of thing, right? It's not just me that feels like it was wrong for the definition of "literally" to update to include "figuratively" because people were using it incorrectly en masse ...? :P

• Options

We all have some reservations about this sort of thing, right? It's not just me that feels like it was wrong for the definition of "literally" to update to include "figuratively" because people were using it incorrectly en masse ...? :P

Sure, "literally" literally being its own antonym is literally the worst thing that ever happened. That's why I now make sure to always use "figuratively" when I should use "literally": that way, there's no confusion possible and figuratively everyone know exactly what I meant.
    I'm my own worst nightmare, sometimes.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nice to see Ottawa announcing they've reached a deal with Alberta on the childcare initiative (goal of $10/day). That makes 8 provinces now.

Naturally one of the major holdouts is...Ontario. Sigh.

Edit: New Brunswick would also be the other remaining holdout now that Alberta has joined onto the plan.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    For those not in the Discord or not following BC news, we're having a major weather event out here. All routes into Vancouver from the rest of the mainland of the province are now cut due to mudslides and other flooding issues caused by the truly biblical amount of rain we've been getting. The town of Hope, BC has got around 220-240mm of rain in 24 hours. Merritt and Princeton are flooded, local flooding in Abbotsford, travellers are trapped on one section of BC highway cut off by mudslides on both sides of them are going to be taken out by helicopters, etc.

Corvus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Nah, that's just people being silly. Hyperbole is a thing and has been for a long long time.

• Options

From what I understand, Vancouver is now effectively cut off from the rest of Canada on land routes. There’s still the ability to go down into Washington from what I understand, but they’re having trouble too.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Nice to see Ottawa announcing they've reached a deal with Alberta on the childcare initiative (goal of $10/day). That makes 8 provinces now.

Naturally one of the major holdouts is...Ontario. Sigh.

Edit: New Brunswick would also be the other remaining holdout now that Alberta has joined onto the plan.

Ontario's had provincial child care for years now I dont think that Ford canned it

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Ontario pays for kindergarten for four year olds as part of their education budget, which...other provinces don't...or something? So Ontario apparently wants some kind of partial credit of that. I guess Nova Scotia does a half day or something and Quebec says they'll do a full day in 2023?

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Ontario pays for kindergarten for four year olds as part of their education budget, which...other provinces don't...or something? So Ontario apparently wants some kind of partial credit of that. I guess Nova Scotia does a half day or something and Quebec says they'll do a full day in 2023?

Québec has had a subsidized provincial daycare system for 0-5yo for ages. Our deal, ever since Trudeau announced the plan for a Canadian daycare subsidy, has been to take our cut of the funds and inject it into our system. It will be a huge boon, as we are lacking several tens of thousands of spots right now and daycare educators (those that didn't resign) are on a rotating strike due to terrible pay.

Of course, with Legault's general dislike of Ottawa, hatred of Trudeau personally, and overall right-wingness, I expect he'll take the money, put it in a giant pile, and set fire to it rather than accept Trudeau's help in improving the lives of Québécois.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    For those not in the Discord or not following BC news, we're having a major weather event out here. All routes into Vancouver from the rest of the mainland of the province are now cut due to mudslides and other flooding issues caused by the truly biblical amount of rain we've been getting. The town of Hope, BC has got around 220-240mm of rain in 24 hours. Merritt and Princeton are flooded, local flooding in Abbotsford, travellers are trapped on one section of BC highway cut off by mudslides on both sides of them are going to be taken out by helicopters, etc.

So, now that things should be a bit more stable: is everyone from BC okay ?

• Options

Personally in the lower mainland here I'm fine. But what may become a national issue soon is that all road and rail connections to the Port of Vancouver from the rest of Canada are currently cut. Which doesn't help the world wide supply issues we're already dealing with.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Personally in the lower mainland here I'm fine. But what may become a national issue soon is that all road and rail connections to the Port of Vancouver from the rest of Canada are currently cut. Which doesn't help the world wide supply issues we're already dealing with.

I was supposed to receive some much-needed inventory next week from that port..... We are now, not.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    So what I'm getting is that the TV wall-mount I ordered on the weekend that seems to have shipped Purolator ground from Vancouver is not likely to arrive in short order ... :P

• Options

I suspect/hope that we may see the federal government swiftly moving to revise entry requirements into Canada regarding Covid testing - if they have any sense, they'll carve out an exception allowing double vaccinated ground travellers arriving in BC/AB/SK/MA to skip PCR testing. Supply lines are going to be stretched as is, and PCR tests are going to add more friction to the process. As it is, food access might actually be an issue, given how we import so much fruit and vegetables.

This is potentially simultaneously a fascinating and potentially horrifying look at what happens when our just in time supply network can't provide things just in time.

• Options
    Also a lot of the best agricultural land in the Fraser Valley is underwater right now