As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    dough dog is a good dog, does he evolve into some sort of cooked pastry i must know more

I still think the legendaries looks very very stupid

I think it's funny how the Violet legendary just becomes a motorcycle while the Scarlet one is like "These wheels sticking out of me? Fuck 'em. I got legs"

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just realised what I posted a few days ago in a different thread while talking about Xenoblade
    the class change stuff is interesting but headache-inducing when you're trying to set up a groove. It's like if a few hours into Pokemon the game was like "Your Squirtle can now be a fire type!" and like, cool, I guess, but nrrgh my brain.

They literally just announced that. I swear I haven't looked at any leak stuff, I'm already lying down but I feel like I need to lie down harder.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just realised what I posted a few days ago in a different thread while talking about Xenoblade
    the class change stuff is interesting but headache-inducing when you're trying to set up a groove. It's like if a few hours into Pokemon the game was like "Your Squirtle can now be a fire type!" and like, cool, I guess, but nrrgh my brain.

They literally just announced that. I swear I haven't looked at any leak stuff, I'm already lying down but I feel like I need to lie down harder.

Does that mean my Charizard can finally be a Dragon type like it should always have fucking been?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    could be

it's unclear whether it's going to be something like "theoretically you could find ANY tera type for a pokemon" or if it's just like "very rarely, you will find a meowth that can change into an ice type. there are no other options for meowths"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mega Char X is part dragon

Though I imagine Alt terra type gen 1starters are a given I think they'll do something weird with them like Ice Venusaur or something

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    could be

it's unclear whether it's going to be something like "theoretically you could find ANY tera type for a pokemon" or if it's just like "very rarely, you will find a meowth that can change into an ice type. there are no other options for meowths"

It's Gamefreak so I'd lay money on the latter.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I mean a normal type pokemon can usually learn some elemental type moves so its not completely worthless but unless theyre really revamping move tutors for guys like Eevee I dont see the point

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I have been called a boomer for asking for this already today, but I hope they add some challenge to the games. At least make the team exp share optional.

Pokémon Black is still kicking my add to this day so I know it's not rose tinted glasses I'm looking through

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i don't know what the technical reason was to explain it, but Arceus' level rubberbanding meant that pokemon could seriously kick your ass even if you had a higher level party. It wasn't a hard game, and there were pretty limited trainer fights, but I was surprised at the amount that it pushed back.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    i don't know what the technical reason was to explain it, but Arceus' level rubberbanding meant that pokemon could seriously kick your ass even if you had a higher level party. It wasn't a hard game, and there were pretty limited trainer fights, but I was surprised at the amount that it pushed back.

The easy answer here is that they changed how levels work in regards to stats and also the damage formula.

I didn't have anything better to do, so I threw together two diagrams to illustrate it:
    4qq63pC.png
    kfLmwCa.png

tl;dr: levels matter way less and all fights are more even, hence the increased difficulty.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    could be

And part of not opening the floodgates would be to ostensibly minimise broken combos, be it ever so true that I could never claim that these games are balanced with a straight face.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Seeing a dough dog become a pokemon right after Sana's vTuber graduation... oof, the timing. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is definitely a Team Ninja game.
    That difficulty ramp up. The first level already felt harder than the previous games. Still, I notice the level was a decent length compared to the long ass levels of the previous games.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    ultimate alliance 3 felt extremely difficult if you are playing solo, was significantly less so with even one additional warm body in the group

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What cracks me up about MUA3 is that you will attack an enemy and there is a sliver of damage. These are superheroes. Don't make this like an old school RPG.

I just fought Mysterio and the camera went apeshit. I do like it that you can revive heroes. I don't remember if that was in MUA2. I know it was not in MUA1.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Getting a really weird error on the Switch version of Into The Breach

Trying to boot it up for the first time since the new content, when I try to load my game I get a black screen and a message about something going wrong with "function getWeaponDrop" and I should press any key to try to continue

Ignoring that the Switch doesn't have "keys", it doesn't respond to any buttons and it persists across several restarts of the game and the console

I guess I should reinstall? I can't find literally anything about this specific issue online

edit: persists even after several reinstalls. I haven't tried hitting New Game, only Continue. will New Game erase my existing save?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    New game will end whatever run is currently in progress but it wont delete any of your meta progress/unlocked stuff

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    take me back to the moment in history where we all watched the mario movie cast reveal together

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    and seth rogan as donkey kong

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    take me back to the moment in history where we all watched the mario movie cast reveal together
    Spoiled for folks who take psychic damage from the presence of a vtuber

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Team Scissors, all the way.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Team Scissors, all the way.

Gonna run with that huh?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiuIZN0KDFQ

So it looks like the only actual gameplay changes are new weapons and Splatfests are three teams now? And they're keeping the stupid "only two stages at a time and only 1 mode at a time" thing for multiplayer? Weak.
    Hopefully they don't do the thing where Salmon Run is only playable at certain times on certain days again, that sucked ass.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Couple of new mechanics as well, but yeah nothing groundbreaking there.

Not sure if I'll pick it up or not, I played a lot of the first one but didn't get into the second as much.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    There are a whole lot of quality of life things here. Like preset loadouts (including control schemes), being able to practice while waiting for matches to load, a full replay system, better interaction with friends... Yeah. Overall it really looks like they've listened to people regarding their complaints on the first one. A lot of the specials they showed were more team-oriented as well, and they specifically called out a solo ranked mode.

Edit: Deep Cut is definitely going back to the Japanese roots after Off the Hook. More like the Squid Sisters to be sure. I don't think anyone will replace Marina for best idol (and the one that basically freed her species), but Shiver, Pyre, and the Big Man seem.. okay. :)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Been slowly working my way through Live A Live, finished Wild West, and just finished Prehistory. I might have been done faster but I had to see about a certain mammoth. I cannot believe the audacity they had to look at the capabilities of the SNES and go “yeah we can tell a complete story with no spoken dialogue on this system”. But what really had me floored was the epilogue:
    You end your chapter with everybody going off and fucking? In a snes game? The voice acting in this remake also leaves uh, little room for interpretation.

I feel like this wouldn’t be as shocking to me if NOA hadn’t spent my childhood trying to remove anything remotely offensive to anyone

Anyways, I started the near future chapter and this is immediately my jam.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    There are a whole lot of quality of life things here. Like preset loadouts (including control schemes), being able to practice while waiting for matches to load, a full replay system, better interaction with friends... Yeah. Overall it really looks like they've listened to people regarding their complaints on the first one. A lot of the specials they showed were more team-oriented as well, and they specifically called out a solo ranked mode.

Edit: Deep Cut is definitely going back to the Japanese roots after Off the Hook. More like the Squid Sisters to be sure. I don't think anyone will replace Marina for best idol (and the one that basically freed her species), but Shiver, Pyre, and the Big Man seem.. okay. :)

The previous idols all had puns for names, but if Shiver and Pyre are a pun on something, I'm missing it.

My daughter is very excited about 3. She missed out on 1 as she was young and I didn't buy it for the WiiU, but she picked up 2 and it's been her favorite thing ever since.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Been slowly working my way through Live A Live, finished Wild West, and just finished Prehistory. I might have been done faster but I had to see about a certain mammoth. I cannot believe the audacity they had to look at the capabilities of the SNES and go “yeah we can tell a complete story with no spoken dialogue on this system”. But what really had me floored was the epilogue:
    You end your chapter with everybody going off and fucking? In a snes game? The voice acting in this remake also leaves uh, little room for interpretation.

I feel like this wouldn’t be as shocking to me if NOA hadn’t spent my childhood trying to remove anything remotely offensive to anyone

Anyways, I started the near future chapter and this is immediately my jam.

I have been told they messed up the localization of the end of the prehistory chapter:
    in japanese the character says "ai" which the translator thought was a scream I guess? But ai is the japanese word for the feeling of love, with the implication the character came up with the first word of human language, "love."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

The previous idols all had puns for names, but if Shiver and Pyre are a pun on something, I'm missing it.

My daughter is very excited about 3. She missed out on 1 as she was young and I didn't buy it for the WiiU, but she picked up 2 and it's been her favorite thing ever since.

I don't see anything beyond the fire/ice pairing of the names. Marina and Pearl aren't really puns anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

Looks like a group of sharks is known as a shiver, and a group of eels can be known as a fry.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I don't see anything beyond the fire/ice pairing of the names. Marina and Pearl aren't really puns anyways.

Well I guess not puns, but still water/sea life related. Marina is obvious. Pearl being made by clams.

Moth 13 wrote: »

Looks like a group of sharks is known as a shiver, and a group of eels can be known as a fry.

Oooh, nice! That makes it more sensible and fun.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I'm on chapter 5 of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and god damn Monolith are too good at their job. I started staring up at the starry night sky while relaxing heavenly music plays and just kinda lost myself in the moment. Only thing which took me out of it is that the party won't shut up if you idle. I love these characters but shhhhh.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    New Scarlet/Violet trailer focused on battles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6zFq5nd0tU

Guess Cyclizar works like Cosmog from SUMO while also being your bike/ride pokemon. Also I love the use of the gen 1 ghost.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So I guess you get a Cyclizar pretty early that you ride around on and at some point it turns into the box legendary.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I don't dive too deep into actual competitive Pokémon (I just do the Battle Facilities), but some of those reveals seem spicy. Mirror Herb seems fun, I wonder if it activates on swagger.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    There's also an item they didn't put in the video that disables additional effects on damaging moves

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Shed Tail seems nuts

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Shed Tail seems nuts

In terms of action economy, it's basically Substitute and Baton Pass at the same time. Which, I suppose sometimes you wouldn't want to Substitute and Baton Pass at the same time, but for what it does it's a lot of tempo to get out of one action.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    As long as it doesn't pass buffs like baton pass it's...busted but not as busted as a substitute baton passer with shift gear