As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    So apparently there is some more news regarding the Bayonetta controversy that counters Taylor's claims.

https://mynintendonews.com/2022/10/18/bloomberg-two-sources-claim-taylor-was-offered-at-least-5-sessions-for-3000-each-in-bayonetta-3/

If true, this basically killed her career as no one will want to work with her.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Imagine wanting to ruin a company because your side hustle only offered 15k for a few days of work

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    However, the sources say that Taylor asked for a six figure sum and residuals on the Bayonetta franchise

Yeah, that'll do it

• Options
    The details of her story never really made sense to me, because Taylor said they offered her only $4,000, but then she turned it down and Jennifer Hale took the job.

Just by glancing at Hale's IMDB, I can guaran-fucking-tee you she's charging more than $4,000. Hale literally has 10x the number of roles that Taylor has.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I feel a little bad talking shit about Hale's acting now. I was trying to puzzle out in my head what the company was thinking but I was just sort of saying shit without really making a point. Now that we know more about what Taylor's up to I certainly don't want to voice a hearty defense of her. Hale is being a pro and she shouldn't have to put up with any shit for taking the part in Taylor's place

She's still bad at accents, though

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also pay all voice actors way more

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I feel a little bad talking shit about Hale's acting now. I was trying to puzzle out in my head what the company was thinking but I was just sort of saying shit without really making a point. Now that we know more about what Taylor's up to I certainly don't want to voice a hearty defense of her. Hale is being a pro and she shouldn't have to put up with any shit for taking the part in Taylor's place

She's still bad at accents, though

To be fair, I think a lot of people thought Hale was being a scab and willing to work for a company that was treating it's employees (Taylor) unfairly. I listen to Triple Click, a gaming podcast hosted by Jason Schreier (who has been heavily involved with this story), so I'm curious to listen to their take on this when the dust settles.

I admit that a lot of Bayonetta's charm is her voice, so losing that is disappointing. But if we're losing it because the VA demanded the amount of money a AAA franchise game VA would bring in, then I guess I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep here.

And yes, Hale's accent is rough

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    I admit that a lot of Bayonetta's charm is her voice, so losing that is disappointing. But if we're losing it because the VA demanded the amount of money a AAA franchise game VA would bring in, then I guess I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep here.

yeah, fuck her for thinking she's worth more than a corporation decided she's worth
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Imagine wanting to ruin a company because your side hustle only offered 15k for a few days of work

"a few days of work" being voicing the main character in a game that will continue to add pockets to the executives and shareholders for years until they decide to stop selling it? wonder how many days of work they put in to earn their pay

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i've never played bayonetta, taylor has politics i oppose, but at the end of the day i am going to support paying workers better and support workers demanding the wages they feel they're worth, and i will continue to not give a shit about corporate interests

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The whole misbegotten affair just bums me out. So many people failed in order to get us to this point in time. From Hellena misrepresenting her grievance and stochastically marking Jennifer Hale for harassment, to the union leaving voice actors to twist in the wind, to the gaming industry not valuing voice actors; we shouldn't be in this situation, but here we are anyway.

Twitter, and social media as a whole, have completely fucked society's ability to deal with anything in a reasonable, nuanced, and empathetic manner.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I think it's fair to say that voice actors should be paid more and even that Taylor should have been paid more than $15,000 for her specific role while also thinking that 6-figs + residuals seems high and, more importantly, lying by omission/implication is a very shitty way to go about things.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i've never played bayonetta, taylor has politics i oppose, but at the end of the day i am going to support paying workers better and support workers demanding the wages they feel they're worth, and i will continue to not give a shit about corporate interests

I think everyone here agrees that the videogame industry (and most industries for that matter) have abysmal pay structures, and I do think she (and everyone) should advocate for themselves based on what they think they are worth.

But if she was pushing for six-figures for (based on what she has said in previous interviews) four, four-hour voice sessions, she's essentially asking for $6,250/hour of work on a game that sold maybe three million copies over two games (plus residuals). I'm not going to pretend I know the cost structure of videogame development, but that rate seems high for a game that made about $500M in revenue when compared to other games like GTA, Halo, or GoW -- AAA franchises that are system-sellers.

If she thinks she's worth that much money (and very well could be), then good for her for asking for it. I don't think she was let go for asking, but rather let go because they didn't want to pay the amount she wanted.

If there is any silver-lining to this fiasco, it's that it will bring VA compensation to light, and hopefully update industry standards.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Someone had a thread on Twitter describing how integral Hale was in unionizing voice actors, so I think maybe she's at least earned some benefit of the doubt

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Watching the Nextlander video of the new Mario + Rabbids. The gameplay changes seem neat, but they made the rabbid party members talk this time.

Like in English.

This feels like it should have been illegal.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Sparks of Hope is great so far, even (especially) the Rabbids talking. Just met the Cool Rabbid OC, GOTY, no notes.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wait. But surely none of the Mario cast talk right? That seems backwards.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Rabbid: Mario, have you considered the ramifications of your actions?
    Mario: WAHOO!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Wait. But surely none of the Mario cast talk right? That seems backwards.

So far on the Mushroom Kingdom side there is text dialogue from non-Mario characters and your typical "Wahoo" et al barks.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I am excited for whatever this project yields.

I'm building an exhibit I'm SUPER excited about. Been reaching out to the kids that were published in Nintendo Power as part of the Megaman Design a Robot contest.

I'm asking to redraw their entries. Some kids became illustrators... Here is Balloon Man 30 years apart. Floored.
    echg935s3x8j.png
    cxjshe5qgrox.jpeg

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I remember seeing that contest and being so jealous that I didn't know about it, cause I totally could have make a sick Robot Master.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Beat the first world in Sparks of Hope, I'm really enjoying it so far, my main complaint is with the menus being fiddly and having (albeit brief) loads when going into them in the prep phase.

Also the Rabbids talking is actually explained in the codex, Beep O built a translator and swiftly regretted it. So you can file that one under Incorrectly Regarded As Goof.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

You are a better person then I am. Fuck all TERFS, may they end up destitute and alone.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wait, how did terfs enter into the Bayonetta discussion?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta is from England, where they make terfs. Can't throw a spotted dick without hitting a "gender critical"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote: »

You are a better person then I am. Fuck all TERFS, may they end up destitute and alone.

i didn't know she was a terf, posting what i think should happen to terfs would get me banned from the forums

i do not support transphobes profiting or even existing, but i will also not support exploitation of workers. i am happy that she did not get the job, but had she gotten the job i would support her right to proper compensation for her work just as i would any other worker

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

i didn't know she was a terf, posting what i think should happen to terfs would get me banned from the forums

i do not support transphobes profiting or even existing, but i will also not support exploitation of workers. i am happy that she did not get the job, but had she gotten the job i would support her right to proper compensation for her work just as i would any other worker

Like I said, a far better person then I.

• Options
    My read of the situation, right now, is that voice actors aren't paid well enough for what they bring to a game, but it looks like she really overreached on her initial ask, I think partially based on an inflated idea of what the Bayonetta franchise is worth. When they said no and she rejected their counter offer, she bailed, which, good for her. I think at this point she's made a miscalculation, but she's not, like, wrong to think she's worth more than they're offering, even if her ask was probably never going to happen. Later, they apparently offered her a smaller payday to do a cameo, and she said no, again. Still on board!

Coming out after they announced her replacement (who, incidentally, appears to have done nothing wrong here) and mentioning the offer for the cameo as what they offered her in general is...messier, because just going out with all of the relevant information up front probably would have been effective as well, and led to fewer, "wait, that seems really low, what happened that they'd low ball her like that?" speculation. I'd imagine what this entire situation has mostly done is that it's torpedoed her future in this particular industry, given that she's made a big mess that's both made publishers look bad, and I think pissed off more than a few voice actors.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, it seems like Helena Taylor is mostly a traditional theater actress with her only mayor role in videogames being, well, Bayonetta? While having her future in video game voice acting torpedoed would definitely impact her, it'd probably be less of an issue than it would for your average video game VA.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Hey all, just a heads up, it sounds like a full copy of Scarlet/Violet has been leaked online so be wary of social media if you want to avoid info about the games

No spoilers in this video, just a warning

https://youtu.be/u2yJpl_L8ow

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I was sort of expecting Pokémon Scarlet and Violet to have some mild performance problems, just because Legends Arceus does, but apparently it's way worse.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

this is a clip from a presentation by Nintendo themselves. incredible

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that animation is good though

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    warioware will never die

• Options
    I'm a couple hours into SV and mostly enjoying it, but the choppy animations are real bad. Random NPCs milling about the world become a slideshow at the drop of a hat at a slight distance.

Jury is still out on the open world aspect but it's neat to tackle things in the order you want and battles taking place in the open world leads to novel moments like wild Pokémon spectating. I've only started Terra raids but I immediately like them more than Dynamax raids - hopefully the pacing is still good at higher levels.

Music and Little Guy Design is 👌, favourite so far is
    a grass/ground toadstool version of Tentacool called Toedscool. Made better by the fact that I just saw the silhouette at the start of a raid and didn't realise it wasn't Tentacool until a turn in.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    that animation is good though

Eeeh....

• Options
    the Tauros in the new Pokemon game are increasingly entering Zubat tier for me in that every time I see them on screen it's because they're doing something obnoxious

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They do tend to show up in herds and you can kind of get stuck in a battle loop of them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.