As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the fire emblem warriors game released this year in june, the previous fire emblem warriors was september 2017, so even longer in-between

liEt3nH.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    the fire emblem warriors game released this year in june, the previous fire emblem warriors was september 2017, so even longer in-between

And Warriors the original ran poorly is more what I was referring to. Then Hyrule Warriors musou had its own "sequel" and that ran even worse.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am crumbling to dust at reminders that time has passed in any amount in any context

BahamutZERO.gif
    I am crumbling to dust at reminders that time has passed in any amount in any context

the nintendo switch will be a 6 year old console next march

liEt3nH.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

the Olson twins are in their 50s

The passage of time is ephemeral to me because i can hardly keep track of what hour it is let alone comprehending larger stretches. Does help with not crumbling to dust at least upon hearing that X thing was several decades ago.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Do we think Engage is gonna be good?

I feel like people were getting excited for Three Houses by now and I've heard almost nothing about Engage

I remember really enjoying Three Houses. Then the timeskip happened and I stopped playing for some reason. Maybe I should restart.

edited December 2022
    Fire emblem has varied so wildly in game quality over the past 3 new games that I can't even make a guess. All I know is that I don't really like the protagonist design very much, and I'm not really into the "cameos of protagonists from all the past games as support ghosts" gimmick, but those are pretty minor gripes. I wasn't that into Byleth's or Corrin's designs and I liked/hated those games respectively.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Real talk the best way to get me to buy a new Fire Emblem game sight unseen is to make it Tokyo Mirage Stories 2.

Give me my stupid crossover Persona preferably without the gross bits this time.

To be clear Engage is a traditional fire emblem tactics RPG, not a SMT-style dungeon crawler like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Assuming you don't just mean you'd like a TMS sequel in general.

BahamutZERO.gif
    To be clear Engage is a traditional fire emblem tactics RPG, not a SMT-style dungeon crawler like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Assuming you don't just mean you'd like a TMS sequel in general.

I do just mean I'd like a TMS sequel in general.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

They are 36?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2022
    a lot of it is that nintendo has a lot more niche releases now when most people historically still keep an eye on their adventure games and platformers

the lack of a lower powered system has also hurt visibility of their games, too, imo. they've been trying to replicate the dynamic with their games that get retail releases and e-shop only games, but it just ain't the same.

Garlic Bread on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

They are 36?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPF9AeHznE

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I loved Three Houses but I have very little interest in Engage. The tone, presentation, and subject matter are in direct opposition to what I enjoy about Fire Emblem, so I’ll be skipping this one, at least for now.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    My guess is the next regular Mario games are being made for the switch's successor. Nintendo don't usually make multiple main franchise games for a single platform. Barring the NES, I suppose.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm not very hyped for Engage at the moment, mostly because I don't really love the art they're going with. I also don't love the conceit that you're summoning a lot of past heroes in some way as kind of a core part of the gameplay. I only really care about the Awakening and 3H casts, so the nostalgia factor isn't really there, and I'd rather meet some new folks (not that there aren't new folks to meet in this)

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I watched the engage trailer and it seems like the logical next step in fire emblems steadily increasing flashy complexity

Which is fine and I think makes sense when, like somebody said back when 3 houses came out, fire emblem has basically always been following along with anime/jrpg trends and the engage trailer definitely feels like trailers for other modern jrpgs or fantasy shows

I just dont like it at all, I still haven't finished 3 houses and something about seeing the character install sigurd and get a thousand squares of movement just bummed me out because I'm grumpy old man about fire emblem

I'll probably still get it though, and if they bring back the magic triangle I'm 100% back in baybee

2x39jD4.jpg
    theoretically engage is a tool to give those old characters the characterization and depth people like about the modern era of fire emblem, but also, that's kind of a gamble

liEt3nH.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I watched the engage trailer and it seems like the logical next step in fire emblems steadily increasing flashy complexity

Which is fine and I think makes sense when, like somebody said back when 3 houses came out, fire emblem has basically always been following along with anime/jrpg trends and the engage trailer definitely feels like trailers for other modern jrpgs or fantasy shows

I just dont like it at all, I still haven't finished 3 houses and something about seeing the character install sigurd and get a thousand squares of movement just bummed me out because I'm grumpy old man about fire emblem

I'll probably still get it though, and if they bring back the magic triangle I'm 100% back in baybee

Also

Advance Wars died for this

i mean advance wars died for vladimir putin at this point

liEt3nH.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    theoretically engage is a tool to give those old characters the characterization and depth people like about the modern era of fire emblem, but also, that's kind of a gamble

Are they getting characterization? I was kind of assuming they're basically just power ups

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Are they getting characterization? I was kind of assuming they're basically just power ups

i dunno game's not out

liEt3nH.png
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I'm very curious how a Gust developed fire emblem will turn out but I'm hopeful

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

marth fights for his friends

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

marth fights for his friends

The best characterisation you could possibly give Marth is to have everyone else look to him as the ancient emperor, the only man to unite the world, and he’s just an incredibly bland wet cloth with nothing to add to the present situation. Let nothing he says be useful.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Ike is and forever will be my favorite FE lord. I like Ike.

I ate an engineer
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

So is it gonna be cloud versions or something?

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Either that or it's time to go shopping for multiple-terabyte SD cards, I guess

COD is many things but "optimized with small file size" is not one of them.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    they'll make a cod for switch using only mario characters ala rabbids

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    they're gonna release the advance wars remake under the call of duty banner. they actually delayed the game to make it more accurate to real world horrors

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You can technically play Apex Legends on Switch, which I'd assume is kinda similar to CoD in terms of being a live service, multiplayer fps, but I would not say it runs particularly well, and I don't believe they've managed to patch the performance much over the last year or so.

I'd be interested in a trimmed down fps designed for Switch hardware tho, that could be fun. I guess that's more or less the spot Splatoon is in, come to think of it.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Either that or it's time to go shopping for multiple-terabyte SD cards, I guess

COD is many things but "optimized with small file size" is not one of them.

There are made-for-mobile COD titles, aren’t there? I’d expect a Switch/mobile release and a next-gen/PC release, similar to the Gameboy/DS demakes that used to come out at the same time as home console versions of games.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    they made smaller scale, wii-specific COD games during that generation, I would wager this would be a similar

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I dunno if this has been covered in the previous pokemon chat but
    Grusha is definitely a trans man yes? My partner and I are 100% on this with his coding and we love it!

Einzel wrote: »
    I dunno if this has been covered in the previous pokemon chat but
    Grusha is definitely a trans man yes? My partner and I are 100% on this with his coding and we love it!

they are sure signalling it a lot without definitively saying it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Pretty exciting finds today. I checked out the "traded in without boxes" selection at my local game shop and came out with Fire Emblem Awakening, Echoes, and Fates Birthright for $6 each! I have a feeling that's a pretty good hours to dollars ratio.

Is there one of those folks would recommend I start with?

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a neat local game shop

I got some Gamestops and there's a shop in a flea market, but that's more of a "this is a 3000$ copy of an SNES game, no box, no manual." place