As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo] 4: Rogue! D2 = Resurrected. D3 Season 25 starts 12/10

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    Just spent 5 minutes Googling if anyone was having server issues with selling items and not getting gold. I was at my stash.
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't call the launch a shitshow so far. Some issues at launch isn't crazy -- I tried it at lunch, and yeah servers down. But got back from work and everything seems largely cool -- that's not even close to WoW Classic (or WoW, classic) or D3 or anything like that.

I'm still getting some banding issues but getting in was quick and snappy. Like anything, when everyone and their grandmother aren't trying to play things will settle to their "usual" load.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't call the launch a shitshow so far. Some issues at launch isn't crazy -- I tried it at lunch, and yeah servers down. But got back from work and everything seems largely cool -- that's not even close to WoW Classic (or WoW, classic) or D3 or anything like that.
    I would certainly hope this release isn't as bad as those two. Those games were both groundbreaking in scope and sales. D3 was one of the fastest selling games ever, and since it was online only the servers got buttfucked by a horde that they were unprepared for.

This is still pretty much just D2 as far as the servers are concerned. They're not going to be taxed the way MMO servers are, and this game isn't going to have millions logging in on day one like D3 did.

The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    Ringo
    Whoof. Just had my progress reset. Think this one is going on the shelf until this weekend.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Sounds like it may be worth playing an offline character for now, especially so if you are going it alone anyway.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Nitsua
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    forty wrote: »
    I would certainly hope this release isn't as bad as those two. Those games were both groundbreaking in scope and sales. D3 was one of the fastest selling games ever, and since it was online only the servers got buttfucked by a horde that they were unprepared for.

This is still pretty much just D2 as far as the servers are concerned. They're not going to be taxed the way MMO servers are, and this game isn't going to have millions logging in on day one like D3 did.

Those were an order of magnitude worse; I don't think it's odd for a popular mostly online game to have issues like this at launch. I could use other examples if you're into that -- this doesn't even chart on top 50 of worst launches in PC gaming at the moment.

I just made it from the start through Tristram with no issues, and 5 tristy runs afterwards, buut yeah sadly the server appears to have died after the 5th one.

Edit: aand back after a 3 minute wait into another tristram run.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    I think you can not be top 50 and still be considered a shitshow. Maybe we have different definitions. But whatever.

From what I can tell reading posts here, this has not been a smooth launch.

zepherin
    edited September 24
    Yeah, we definitely have different definitions of shitshow for an online launch. If I can just hop on, make 10 games with 8 randos in them each time, and play for 2 hours straight right off of the bat in primetime on day 1 for a popular online game, I can't go with shitshow. If it persists into tomorrow, yeah that's beyond my expectations and a shitshow for a large company. I'm curious to see what the #s wind up being though -- unlike Diablo 3 it's launching on consoles at the same time.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    I guess it just goes towards what you want to think. I see just as many people as postings here that have had no issues whatsoever other than server downtime. And that has only been 1hour so far today. Some minor db issues and 1hr of downtime and almost no banding I would put at a great success for a massive online release these days from any company.

That said my first unique is bloodfist! yay a usable unique for my javazon as my first.

Jubal77 on
    Yeah, we definitely have different definitions of shitshow for an online launch. If I can just hop on, make 10 games with 8 randos in them each time, and play for 2 hours on day 1 for a popular online game, I can't go with shitshow. If it persists into tomorrow, yeah that's beyond my expectations and a shitshow for a large company. I'm curious to see what the #s wind up being though -- unlike Diablo 3 it's launching on consoles at the same time.

I dunno. I wouldn't call this a shitshow. I also wouldn't call this at all smooth. I still can't reliably get in (my character was reset - as I knew it would be - but we're back to the "Are you connected to the internet. . ." errors) and I imagine others are in the same boat.

. . .as someone snarkily said on TWITTER, there never really seems to be an issue with payment servers - just the servers for people to play on.

fortyNitsua
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I guess it just goes towards what you want to think. I see just as many people as postings here that have had no issues whatsoever other than server downtime. And that has only been 1hour so far today. Some minor db issues and 1hr of downtime and almost no banding I would put at a great success for a massive online release these days from any company.
    ...Yeah, but the game is 20 years old. It's updated graphics and cinematics.

But the core game is pretty much, exactly the same. The back end should have changed even less, because as I understand it the graphics and videos are stored on the local machine.

Don't get me wrong I love Diablo 2. I've played it as recently as a year ago. And the gfx update makes the game look good.

fortyKwoaru
    edited September 24
    zepherin wrote: »

But the core game is pretty much, exactly the same. The back end should have changed even less, because as I understand it the graphics and videos are stored on the local machine.

Don't get me wrong I love Diablo 2. I've played it as recently as a year ago. And the gfx update makes the game look good.

Corrected.

Jubal77 on
    edited September 24

This is a strange thing to me. They remade the game from the ground up. Its not like they bolted a new ui on the old battle net.
    See, this is pretty much the opposite of what I recall reading in interviews and such. I'd be interested if there's an article spelling it out that way.

Just off hand, here's something I could find quickly:
    The ability to confidently say, the original code is running underneath this, the original balance.

Edit: I mean sure, obviously it's not running on the old battle.net servers, since those have moved forward in 20 years. But it reads to me like a lot of the actual game code is the same stuff as before.

forty on
    zepherinFeldorn
    edited September 24

This is a strange thing to me. They remade the game from the ground up. Its not like they bolted a new ui on the old battle net.
    See, this is pretty much the opposite of what I recall reading in interviews and such. I'd be interested if there's an article spelling it out that way.

Just off hand, here's something I could find quickly:
    The ability to confidently say, the original code is running underneath this, the original balance.

Edit: I mean sure, obviously it's not running on the old battle.net servers, since those have moved forward in 20 years. But it reads to me like a lot of the actual game code is the same stuff as before.

That is strange because the battle net has some of the modern battle net into it like joining friends etc. I remember a interview where they said since the game was fps locked they had to remake from ground up. /shrug.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that part up. I read it. It is different than I what I read.

For me I would put a shit show in the realm of d3 release, or torchlight 3 release, or wolcen.

Oh it looks like we are adding to the downtime counter heh. I came back from helping prep dinner and it looks down.

Jubal77 on
  • UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    And now there is connection issues. Not surprising, it being nighttime and all but “woe is me, existence is suffering, Garbo launch, worst something ever” and so pn

Jubal77
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Holy shit you guys... This remaster is exactly what I hoped and dreamed it would be. It feels like a modern Diablo 2. I was so nervous when it got first announced that they would take everything out of it that I liked. But this is the best case scenario for me. It's so much fun.

Jubal77zepherinrahkeesh2000NogginSmrtnikNitsuacrimsoncoyoteFiatilKoopahTroopahHexDex
    urahonky wrote: »
    Holy shit you guys... This remaster is exactly what I hoped and dreamed it would be. It feels like a modern Diablo 2. I was so nervous when it got first announced that they would take everything out of it that I liked. But this is the best case scenario for me. It's so much fun.

Yeah they did an excellent job on the environmental effects, the darkness and the backgrounds. Having something lit up when my charged strike procs is just be a utiful.

zepherinfortyurahonky
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    hre885c1k28o.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular

Yeah they did an excellent job on the environmental effects, the darkness and the backgrounds. Having something lit up when my charged strike procs is just be a utiful.

The shadows that get cast from the lighting are really good too. Unfortunately in a room full of spiders it was terrifying D:

Jubal77zepherinSmrtnik
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s ridiculously hyperbolic to say this could be like reforged. I mean first off it’s like 10 hours after launch Jesus, and secondly reforged had way more problems than just technical issues. It’s entire project and philosophy was fundamentally flawed in a way I don’t think this is

Jubal77fortyrahkeesh2000SmrtnikcrimsoncoyoteFiatilKoopahTroopah

The shadows that get cast from the lighting are really good too. Unfortunately in a room full of spiders it was terrifying D:

Yeah.... them new spider models are pretty bllleleeeeeuuughghhhh inducing.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s ridiculously hyperbolic to say this could be like reforged. I mean first off it’s like 10 hours after launch Jesus, and secondly reforged had way more problems than just technical issues. It’s entire project and philosophy was fundamentally flawed in a way I don’t think this is

Did WC3 Reforged actually have launch-day connection issues? I have no idea. That's definitely not the reason I passed on it.

forty
    Synthesis wrote: »

Did WC3 Reforged actually have launch-day connection issues? I have no idea. That's definitely not the reason I passed on it.

Yeah kind of. I just played single player as online is different there. What it had was serious issues with polish. Framerates were just trash for awhile.

• zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    I played a bit offline with a Druid and online with my buddy with an assassin. The question is do I go with another online with some random or play more with my Druid?

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I’m pretty sure this is old D2 with a UI facelift and forklifted into new battle.net. There a some QoL additions of course.

Also, unless new BNet is way better you will always deal with some lag and rubber banding.

forty
    Yeah, that's really melodramatic. "Will WoW and Diablo 3 end on a pile of burning rubber?" Their server issues were a disaster at the start so I guess they'll never get fixed.

rahkeesh2000Smrtnik
    edited September 24
    I mean this isnt the battle net i remember playing (banding, etc). Especially since its probably hammered more than it has been in over a decade. So they have seemed to have improved it.

Jubal77 on
    Fiatil
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    A few not-so-documented controller shortcuts:

To feed your merc potions, hold L1+dpad.
    To auto-fill your entire belt with potions, go to the inventory screen and highlight an empty spot on your belt, then hold L3.

zepherinNoggin
    Tried again and played about thirty minutes online. I think I encountered some lag early on, but playing an Amazon with jab is somewhat vulnerable to that compared to other options. Pretty much exactly what I expected from the beta (it seems like scroll drop rate has been raised significantly, or just takes effect earlier, which is appreciated). Online play issues are first day aren't ideal, but they're not a disaster--online play issues for weeks would be. As it stands, this, frankly, seems normal assuming they're addressed.

People are being particularly hyperbolic and douchey about old games lately, so I suppose melodrama is to be expected. On top of that, "online issues," was basically the last complaint I heard about Reforged, on a very long list.

• Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    I only played for 30-45 minutes or so, but everything seemed stable to me.

Started a hardcore necro. Can’t wait to farm enigma and all the other goodies I used to have 😂

Fiatil
    Pretty much exactly what I expected from the beta (it seems like scroll drop rate has been raised significantly, or just takes effect earlier, which is appreciated).
    I would be shocked if any drop rates have been touched.

rahkeesh2000FiatilFeldorn
    Pretty much exactly what I expected from the beta (it seems like scroll drop rate has been raised significantly, or just takes effect earlier, which is appreciated).
    I would be shocked if any drop rates have been touched.

I only went through that early game once in the beta, so it could be entirely imagined on my part. I didn't run into any scrolls until around level 4, whereas I encountered them at 2 here. Which could be entirely coincidental.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah if I can’t play a game on launch day, that’s pretty standard, as sad as that is.

But when it’s a week later and the same issues persist, then I would consider it a disaster.

SynthesisFiatil
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Started an online char, server issues started when I hit lvl 6, continued with an offline character. Made it to act 3 and having a lot of fun!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Created my character yesterday, midday, during my lunch break. Only played for like 20 minutes. Tried to play again last night at like 9pm, which is prime time. Couldn't even get a game created.

Clearly a defective product. Rabble rabble.

edited September 24
    Yeah I definitely don't mean to diminish any issues people may be having with the server. It did go down for periods yesterday and there was about an hour and a half last night where it seemed down hard for me. It just seems like crazy recency bias to call it a disaster or anything like that. It seems to be very popular and had some day 1 server issues, but was still mostly functional for most of the day and I was able to play in two solid chunks, the second of which was ended only by me going to bed. Once in game it was super smooth and between yesterday and the beta appears to run better than old d2 on old b.net, whatever they have going on behind the scenes. Comparing it to Reforged (which was a mess for completely different reasons) or anything is just comical hyperbole. I get that Blizzard's rep is at an all time low, for very valid reasons, but this launch isn't really the punching bag a lot of people seem to want it to be. But hey internet gonna internet, no real surprise there.

I wish we lived in a world where big online releases went smoothly, don't get me wrong! But it's so common that I can't even consider it a below average launch experience yet. Last night was encouraging and it seems like today should be pretty smooth, but we'll find out!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Jubal77
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    To auto-fill your entire belt with potions, go to the inventory screen and highlight an empty spot on your belt, then hold L3.

Wow this was totally wrong and no-one called me on it! Y'all playing on mouse? Serves me from posting from memory...

L2 + dpad to feed pots to your merc. Its the same trigger as for accessing 2nd skill bar.

R3 on an empty belt slot to autofill.

Wow this was totally wrong and no-one called me on it! Y'all playing on mouse? Serves me from posting from memory...

L2 + dpad to feed pots to your merc. Its the same trigger as for accessing 2nd skill bar.

R3 on an empty belt slot to autofill.

In completely honesty, yes. And I'm still too dumb to take advantage of the auto-fill system!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I've heard controller feels real good, but I haven't brought myself to try it. D2 was one of the very first games I played on my "own", and certainly the first I bought myself (in middle school...) so switching up the mode of input seems weird and alien to me.

forty
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 24
    Got to act 5 and I am still not tired of switching back and forth between the graphics

e: legendaries (that I equipped) so far: Eye of Etlich, Gorefoot, Steelclash

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

crimsoncoyoteNitsuaNogginKoopahTroopahFiatilFeldornXaquinzepherin
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I told my buddy last night while we were in-game to press the G key and he literally stopped and recoiled at the change in graphics. He had forgotten there was a graphical update after spending hours in the game.

el_vicioJoolanderNitsuaKoopahTroopahFiatil