As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] early access has ended :(, and so shall this thread

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    playing D2R feels weird, really weird

like a long forgotten part of my brain just woke up

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So how’s the server issues? Was going to buy it today, i don’t mind like outages and such but I’m a bit wary if there’s still progression wipes

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've had zero issues at all today, no lag even. Just yesterday for the couple hours it was down.

Yeah Nec was pretty brutal on Duriel as well, basically wipes my summons in one hit.

Only thing I could do was cast Amplify Dmg and let the merc hit him while I aggro'd. I only died like 6 times.

• Options
    Cool. I wonder how this will be for someone who never played the original diablos. I genuinely just think the remake art style looks cool in its own right and so bought the game without any nostalgia

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I've had zero issues at all today, no lag even. Just yesterday for the couple hours it was down.

Yeah Nec was pretty brutal on Duriel as well, basically wipes my summons in one hit.

Only thing I could do was cast Amplify Dmg and let the merc hit him while I aggro'd. I only died like 6 times.

Clay Golem and Iron Maiden can cheese him nicely in normal. You’ll need a few mana pots though.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Art and Sound design in the game is phenomenal. The music and effects just take it to another level.

I wish I had known that about the Clay and Iron Maiden. I was casting Iron Maiden prior to using Amp but he was one hitting my Blood Golem, then two-hitting my merc and self.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

Lucky. I've been having some lag issues, but no disconnects or character resets. So, overall, it's been a vast improvement over yesterday!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah I'm with you on that. I'm getting used to it, but it is not as good as old corpse explosion at all.

I saw they revised several skill effects late in beta after feedback -- maaaybe they can do it with corpse explosion since Necromancer wasn't in the betas for there to be as much feedback.
    I hope they rework it to look better. It mostly just stands out because almost everything else in the new engine looks great, improving on the original while still being quite faithful.

• Options
    Why are cgi cutscene frame rates so bad? Also the quality? Like it’s not just Diablo I was playing Kena Bridge of spirits and noticed this too, the frames seem to stutter and the playback quality is pixelated. Is it just cos I have a 4K tv so they aren’t optimised for that or something? It’s really weird.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Why are cgi cutscene frame rates so bad? Also the quality? Like it’s not just Diablo I was playing Kena Bridge of spirits and noticed this too, the frames seem to stutter and the playback quality is pixelated. Is it just cos I have a 4K tv so they aren’t optimised for that or something? It’s really weird.

Of the cutscenes you mentioned, I think they're dropping the framerates down to 30fps (or less). So when we get used to seeing 60-100 during gameplay, the reduction is a stark contrast to what we've been playing.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    It’s really distracting, like it just wastes this awesome looking cgi on a slideshow. I just don’t get it is it made at 30 and so will always look bad, or do they reduce it to save space?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Also what the hell, Sevnarus is reserved or redacted as a name, wtf. That’s the name I always use, goddamnit

Also so far I’m fine with the gameplay in 30fps high quality mode since it kind of suits the style, unfortunately it makes menu navigation worse. I wish you could set menus to a different frame rate and quality

Man this game is gorgeous, I’ve switched between 30 and 60 and while 60 is smoother there’s something about high quality at 30 that feels right with the game style

Also how do you switch to see what the game used to look like? Is there a way to do that?

Edit ok figured out, holy shit. That’s amazing. The difference is incredible.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Also what the hell, Sevnarus is reserved or redacted as a name, wtf. That’s the name I always use, goddamnit
    I've read that the game has an overzealous profanity filter that cannot be disabled? I wonder if it somehow tripped that?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I mean even for us that still play d2 the legacy mode is holy shit heh. There is a longstanding hack to d2 that lets you customize a bunch of the graphics settings and apply custom shaders that make the game look like 1/3 to halfway to remaster.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I've read that the game has an overzealous profanity filter that cannot be disabled? I wonder if it somehow tripped that?

Bizzarely I got prohass, which straight up has ass in it

• Options

Also so far I’m fine with the gameplay in 30fps high quality mode since it kind of suits the style, unfortunately it makes menu navigation worse. I wish you could set menus to a different frame rate and quality

Man this game is gorgeous, I’ve switched between 30 and 60 and while 60 is smoother there’s something about high quality at 30 that feels right with the game style

Also how do you switch to see what the game used to look like? Is there a way to do that?

Edit ok figured out, holy shit. That’s amazing. The difference is incredible.
    It would appear you can't start a character name with "Se" at all. Probably some clumsy attempt to thwart "Sex"? I dunno, it's mega weird.

• Options
    Woah wait up Diablo 2 had dark souls rules? Do you lose your stuff if you die on the way to your corpse or is your corpse always there?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    You get up to 15 corpses worth of items. So don't die 16 times in a row, or else your first corpse gets overridden and all the equip on it disappears.

If you leave the game, you only take your first corpse with you, though you can grab it safely in town.

In nightmare/hell there's also an XP penalty on death, grabbing a corpse in the field restores a good portion of the lost XP. Grabbing a corpse in town does not.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you keep leaving corpses. there is a way to corpse pop though if you have something equipped and a full inventory when you loot your corpse, leaving something on it. then you die and all your stuff drops on the ground

• Options
    Weird quirk I saw on Pally using controller. If you activate holy shield, it will turn off whatever aura you have, though you can manually re-activate the aura right away. I'm guessing this is because the console skill bar is still running on top of the old system, where holy shield is a right-mouse-button only skill. So maybe the client is switching your RMB to holy shield and casting, disabling your aura. Seems like they should make the client a bit smarter here and have it automatically switch back to whatever aura it is switching away from after use.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Man this old timey inventory sure is clashing with my “must pick up everything on the ground” modern instincts

Also I’m sure this observation is like 20+ years late but the barbarian sounds exactly like Leonard nemoy

Also while I love the visuals the blur when you move gives me a headache. Im also completely lost, there’s no quest markers I’m guessing? Can’t for the life of me find the first quest

Ok found it, had missed it in the first area and went way too far ahead

Also my controller vibration only works like 30% of the time on hit, and it’s not my battery

Prohass on
  • Options
    KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Ugh, server crashed right after I killed Duriel and was looting. When I logged back in my quest had reset and my Horadric Staff has disappeared, so I can't reopen the tomb without having to reassemble the staff. Absolutely great stuff.

Edit: aaaaand the Staff of Kings doesn't drop anymore... did the game just break for me?

Edit #2: Managed to solve it by joining another group doing the quest!

Karuwen on
    Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Man I love the visuals in this unfortunately the blur when you move hurts my eyes so damn much. Like if I look at anything other than the character my brain burns

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I may have to join a group for Duriel. But I have static field ready to go. I'm okay losing out on the loot drops because he's a pain.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I mean it's technically possible to solo.

There's just a lot of: portal, static field 2x, die. Walk to portal, portal, static field twice, die, repeat.

VishNub on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    If you can hit 24 on a necro for Duriel (tomb runs!), decrepify + clay golem makes him completely cake. I didn't lose a single skelly, <3 curses.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Died about 16 or so times to Duriel and lost all my money (revived my merc each death so I could get a few more hits off on him). But it's done.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Complaining about TCP/IP re: mods may have been a red herring. Right now using the old -direct -txt command line to run the game with modified txt files, only works if you use a tool to extract the entire 30 gigs of game data from the official archive first, something that was not needed with the OG game. Merely distributing mods just got real onerous if a workaround isn't found.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Another Duriel tip (besides just "grind more levels") is to buy a few Thawing potions and chug them all right before you zone in (or portal back in if you're TPing out and grinding him down). The 30 second durations stack, so if you chug 3 you'll have 90 seconds of protection. Sadly it doesn't prevent being frozen by his BS aura, but I believe it reduces the cold damage he does so you won't get chopped down quite so fast.

Or at least I think this was true at one point. I guess I can't say for certain if it works now.

Anyway, Duriel is one of the reasons I don't like to spend gold gambling early on a run through Normal. You can spend a lot of gold between potions, repairs, and merc revives getting Duriel (and later, Diablo) down.

• Options
    As a colorblind person looking for doors in the map when in certain places I have to say this change:

b73nt08lpvoi.png

Is one of the best QoL they have done.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    As a colorblind person looking for doors in the map when in certain places I have to say this change:

b73nt08lpvoi.png

The menu also has specific color blind options, check those out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

b73nt08lpvoi.png

The menu also has specific color blind options, check those out.

Yeah I saw that too. I dont remember thse changes being in the beta so its nice. That area was a huge problem as not only did the door blend in on the wall it blended in on the map for me. I tried the color blind modes but I guess ive just got used to the coloring of the game so I dont have to run them with the stairs being bigger on the wall and clear on the map now.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Man this old timey inventory sure is clashing with my “must pick up everything on the ground” modern instincts

Also I’m sure this observation is like 20+ years late but the barbarian sounds exactly like Leonard nemoy

Also while I love the visuals the blur when you move gives me a headache. Im also completely lost, there’s no quest markers I’m guessing? Can’t for the life of me find the first quest

Ok found it, had missed it in the first area and went way too far ahead

Also my controller vibration only works like 30% of the time on hit, and it’s not my battery

Huh, yeah apparently the motion blur thing you're describing is a thing for quite a few people. I don't see any blur at all now that I look for it (on PC), but you're definitely not the only one who's experiencing it from what I've seen by searching around. It sounds like it affects some setups on PC and maybe on certain consoles? There's no change at all on the clarity of visuals all the way to the edge of the screen for me when I look around on my display/setup; it sounds like it may be display related but I'm not seeing any obvious solutions to fix it from a quick glance around the internets.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Another Duriel tip (besides just "grind more levels") is to buy a few Thawing potions and chug them all right before you zone in (or portal back in if you're TPing out and grinding him down). The 30 second durations stack, so if you chug 3 you'll have 90 seconds of protection. Sadly it doesn't prevent being frozen by his BS aura, but I believe it reduces the cold damage he does so you won't get chopped down quite so fast.

Or at least I think this was true at one point. I guess I can't say for certain if it works now.

Anyway, Duriel is one of the reasons I don't like to spend gold gambling early on a run through Normal. You can spend a lot of gold between potions, repairs, and merc revives getting Duriel (and later, Diablo) down.

If you're going to use a mercenary on Duriel then do this first:
    Go to the Inner Cloister and then up into the Jail Level 3.
    Come back out and then go just past the door and close it, leaving your mercenary inside that room.
    Run down to the bottom of the map and wait until your mercenary teleports to you.
    Congratulations, your mercenary will not not be directly targeted by monsters anymore (unless this feature has been fixed in D2R). They can still be killed by area attacks so you'll need to keep them out of harms way, but they can be kept alive much longer and be useful against Duriel.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Well...that's, er...unfortunate.

Got disconnected while transferring the Horadric Cube back to my stash after I got done upgrading all my gems and runes. Now I don't have a cube anymore.

EDIT - I have a feeling that it's a one-time drop thing, too. But, on the off chance, guess I'll head back and check. It'd be a shame if this is now a broken playthrough.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Finally got myself the Stealth on a Breastplate for my sorc! This thing is a monster at lower levels.

• Options
    Feldorn wrote: »

If you're going to use a mercenary on Duriel then do this first:
    Go to the Inner Cloister and then up into the Jail Level 3.
    Come back out and then go just past the door and close it, leaving your mercenary inside that room.
    Run down to the bottom of the map and wait until your mercenary teleports to you.
    Congratulations, your mercenary will not not be directly targeted by monsters anymore (unless this feature has been fixed in D2R). They can still be killed by area attacks so you'll need to keep them out of harms way, but they can be kept alive much longer and be useful against Duriel.
    Wow I never knew about this. That'd be cool if it still works.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Well...that's, er...unfortunate.

Got disconnected while transferring the Horadric Cube back to my stash after I got done upgrading all my gems and runes. Now I don't have a cube anymore.

EDIT - I have a feeling that it's a one-time drop thing, too. But, on the off chance, guess I'll head back and check. It'd be a shame if this is now a broken playthrough.
    I'm pretty sure if you kill the Halls of the Dead boss again it'll drop another Cube.