As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    danx wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd not watch anything with Kevin Sorbo in it, dude is a bad actor and a shitty person.

That's why I haven't rewatched it to see if it made sense next time.

Been watching Castle for the first time. This show would have been better if it had ended around Veritas maybe? Season 7 has been a slog and it was already getting pretty stale in season 5. Don't know if I'll finish it.

I really liked Castle, the early Seasons were super fun.

Then it got bogged down in needing to have complex season storylines.

I think I gave it it up when Castle got amnesia. Amnesia in a long running show is never a good sign.

Yeah, that's after the wedding disappearance. I'm not sure I've ever seen a show jump the shark so hard or so fast.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Tomanta wrote: »
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Yeah Ryan and Javi are great. They're a lot of why I keep watching. Was the same with Sam, Jessie and Madeline in Burn Notice. Something about Castle and Beckett is just annoying now. They're the least interesting part of the show.

Which is a damn shame because of how good their interactions were early in the show.

I heard Javi and Ryan cameo'd Fillion's other LA cop show The Rookie, but that show looks like trash sorry Nathan.

I like it, but it is full on cop apologia, especially the last season where they "address" the racist bones of the LAPD.

I barely made it through one season of The Rookie. Since they pulled out every trope I can think of in just one season, I can't imagine what ridiculous stuff they pulled out for later.

I liked how the first season began but the show didn't catch me so I watched it on and off for a while. When I saw the episode where the female lead was caught by a criminal, thrown into a trash can and buried her as a hostage the protoganists had to find before she ran out of air I noped out. I didn't need it to become Criminal Minds, this is why I liked Rookie Blue.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Also that whole plot is funny because it feels like when they started it they had some grander ambition for the whole story and then everyone hated it so they hastily wrapped it up and let it quietly slink away unremarked.

shryke on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The “buried alive” story has already been done and done again in like every long-running cop show

There’s nothing new you can bring to the table, it’s just doing horrible shit to your characters for the hell of it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The brick wall for me in The Rookie was "mega-hardass cop treating his trainee like utter dogshit as if that method is remotely effective in producing anything but asshole cops, but he's also bending/breaking the law to 'protect' his wife that he almost certainly terrorized into turning to drugs to escape the hellish effects he had on her life but that's okay because he's proving that he really does care about her rather than just doing it to cover his own ass." That one cop basically was the Ur-Cop and they tried to make him sympathetic. Sorry, that cop is basically the cop that's plaguing the entire nation by brutalizing, terrorizing, and murdering spouses, girlfriends, the poor, minorities, homeless, and anybody that isn't sufficiently "respectful", there's absolutely nothing sympathizing there except the people he victimizes daily.

Plus the fact that they make story elements out of pretending cops have these outlandishly high standards of behavior off work and under fire. Cops aren't going to give two shits if rookies are banging, and a gunshy cop with a high-ranking father is going to, at worst, face some heckling while they cover his ass so hard he ends up getting an award for heroic action.

Maybe if the first season ended with the hardass character getting beaten into a permanent vegetative state by some of his victims I could've kept interest in the show.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'd not watch anything with Kevin Sorbo in it, dude is a bad actor and a shitty person.

Been watching Castle for the first time. This show would have been better if it had ended around Veritas maybe? Season 7 has been a slog and it was already getting pretty stale in season 5. Don't know if I'll finish it.

I think I gave it it up when Castle got amnesia. Amnesia in a long running show is never a good sign.

Yeah, that's after the wedding disappearance. I'm not sure I've ever seen a show jump the shark so hard or so fast.

Actually, I think I made it one more season, after the amnesia.

The final nail was that he was doing super secret CIA stuff, I think ? Because his dad was the best CIA agent, or something ? And he gave himself amnesia, but selective amnesia for the time he was away. And he had kidnapped himself.

Yeah, I walked away, determined to remember the good times we’d had together…

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Also that whole plot is funny because it feels like when they started it they had some grander ambition for the whole story and then everyone hated it so they hastily wrapped it up and let it quietly slink away unremarked.

Is that what happened? The episode where they explained it is when I went screw this show. It felt so unnecessary to pull the rug at the end of the season six just so they could have a hook after wrapping up part of the story. They basically did nothing with it then went yeah here's a super lame and unsatisfying explanation.

Did people hate it because of what happened at the wedding episode after six years of get a room already and they just dropped it? Or did they hate it because it was lame? I groaned at the end of the wedding but hoped it paid off and it just didn't. If it had maybe it'd be different but if this is the way they wanted to go just have it happen on honeymoon or later.

Season 7 of Castle is giving me Mentalist vibes. The Mentalist went from kinda meh to this show is fucking garbage doing shit like that over it's run and then when it wrapped up the story they were like lets make some more garbage instead of just letting it finish.

edit: removed random ass words peppered in there for whatever reason.

danx on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Actually, I think I made it one more season, after the amnesia.

The final nail was that he was doing super secret CIA stuff, I think ? Because his dad was the best CIA agent, or something ? And he gave himself amnesia, but selective amnesia for the time he was away. And he had kidnapped himself.

Yeah, I walked away, determined to remember the good times we’d had together…

That was so ridiculous I couldn't help but have a smile on my face every second. What they should have done was reveal Castle was writing fanfic about himself having spy father and saving the world.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Day 4 scary movie is Cronos, the first Del Toro flick. It's a really great concept even just from the intro. the idea of a device that keeps you alive forever, but doesn't actually make you invulnerable is really interesting. Also damn... Ron Perlman looks so young.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The “buried alive” story has already been done and done again in like every long-running cop show

There’s nothing new you can bring to the table, it’s just doing horrible shit to your characters for the hell of it.

I mean it was literally in the first Dirty Harry, which was part of the front wave of Cop shows.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I just started Squid Game and so far I’m not super impressed. It’s taking a very long time to get going and the acting is very melodramatic.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Squid Game is an anime ass plot so might just not be your thing

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Squid Game is an anime ass plot so might just not be your thing

It does have kind of a slow start though, independent of how anime the plot is

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I liked it, but I don't think it was groundbreaking. We've seen this play before, it's just a different production.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nah, that first episode takes way too long to get interesting. I appreciated the whole Korean-ness of it (something that “It’s just like Kaiji” crowd completely misses, because they are weebs or something), but it does take a while to get going.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Currently watching what may be the best season of Letterkenny to date, season 6

Current episode: Dycks Slip Out

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I liked Gotham's twist on it.
    Buried alive, but with a serum that will give him the strength to dig himself out, BUT he will go bonkers from it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Is that what happened? The episode where they explained it is when I went screw this show. It felt so unnecessary to pull the rug at the end of the season six just so they could have a hook after wrapping up part of the story. They basically did nothing with it then went yeah here's a super lame and unsatisfying explanation.

Did people hate it because of what happened at the wedding episode after six years of get a room already and they just dropped it? Or did they hate it because it was lame? I groaned at the end of the wedding but hoped it paid off and it just didn't. If it had maybe it'd be different but if this is the way they wanted to go just have it happen on honeymoon or later.

Season 7 of Castle is giving me Mentalist vibes. The Mentalist went from kinda meh to this show is fucking garbage doing shit like that over it's run and then when it wrapped up the story they were like lets make some more garbage instead of just letting it finish.

edit: removed random ass words peppered in there for whatever reason.

I have no idea if that's what actually happened. It's definitely what it feels like though.

They try and set up this whole cool new mystery and then they ditch it like 10 episodes later in a single episode and it's like never relevant again from what I remember.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I just started Squid Game and so far I’m not super impressed. It’s taking a very long time to get going and the acting is very melodramatic.

I agree on the melodramatic comment, and the season never lets up on it.
    That said, this seems to be a common thing with a lot Korean cinema and television. Most of what I've seen seems to incorporate a lot of the elements of stage productions into how the actors perform - ie: big emphasis on melodrama, monologues, and highly physical acting.

It actually got me interested into looking into some studies on the key differences between various culture's takes on film and tv.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Agreed.

I don’t understand content companies (us included) paying astronomical sums for OLD content like Seinfeld or The Office.

It’s incredibly stupid. On everyone’s part.

Such a huge waste of capital for absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Huh?

The office and Seinfeld are HUGELY popular on streaming platforms. Isn't getting people to watch their content what streaming companies want?

The idea that people will switch streaming services because any one show switched from one service to another is dubious at best.

Except that's literally why Peacock, HBO Max, Paramont Plus and Disney Plus exist

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Agreed.

I don’t understand content companies (us included) paying astronomical sums for OLD content like Seinfeld or The Office.

It’s incredibly stupid. On everyone’s part.

Such a huge waste of capital for absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Huh?

The office and Seinfeld are HUGELY popular on streaming platforms. Isn't getting people to watch their content what streaming companies want?

The idea that people will switch streaming services because any one show switched from one service to another is dubious at best.

Except that's literally why Peacock, HBO Max, Paramont Plus and Disney Plus exist

HBO Max and Disney Plus have an actual library of shows. Peacock and The Star Trek Streaming Service Paramount Plus are doing this, but the other two are actual streaming sites.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I watched that episode, once. Those Dycks went a lot of places and into a number of things.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Squid Game is okay. It's nothing special as far as the story and has some *glaring* inconsistencies.

The set design and scope of cast are impressive.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I watched the first episode of Seinfeld on Netflix. Saw many episodes here and there as a teenager but never watched the whole series.

I don't know if it was like that in the original broadcast but the difference in picture quality between the close-ups and the wider shots is HUGE. The close-ups are sharp with a smooth out of focus background and the colors are strong. The wider shots are a mess in comparison. Everything looks messy and the picture still has a haze, with colors being more washed out.

And I don't think it's just because the characters are further away. Near the end of the airport scene the wide shot camera ends up very close to the characters but the characters faces and clothes still look much worse than when it cuts back to the other camera.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular

I watched that episode, once. Those Dycks went a lot of places and into a number of things.

Oh Anita Dyck, where won't she go.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »

I went to school with an Amanda Dyck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

The Dycks have certainly served us well, though, once.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

What is actually up with the 'once' thing? Is it some regional accent I'm not familiar with?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

What is actually up with the 'once' thing? Is it some regional accent I'm not familiar with?

It's a thing with some Amish and old order Mennonites.
    https://gentsoflancaster.com/2020/12/09/the-guide-to-amish-mennonite-vocabulary-from-an-ex-mennonite/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

https://gentsoflancaster.com/2020/12/09/the-guide-to-amish-mennonite-vocabulary-from-an-ex-mennonite/

Letterkenny is probably the most dialect-intensive English-language show I've ever seen, just in general. I've had to look up dozens of the words they rattle off. British shows I can normally get everything no problem, but Letterkenny is like getting carpet-bombed by Canadian regional language and accents.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Letterkenny is probably the most dialect-intensive English-language show I've ever seen, just in general. I've had to look up dozens of the words they rattle off. British shows I can normally get everything no problem, but Letterkenny is like getting carpet-bombed by Canadian regional language and accents.

Ted Lasso's banter gives it a run for it's money. The amount of jokes rattling out of jason sudeikis's mouth in a given scene is astounding.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Ted Lasso's banter gives it a run for it's money. The amount of jokes rattling out of jason sudeikis's mouth in a given scene is astounding.

The physical comedy in that show is also top notch. Saw the return of one of my favorite bits last week.
    "Don't letter get to you, Ted."
    *Ted leaves*
    *BANGS OPEN THE DOOR*
    "Yes. Yes."

Not as good as "Caeser you later", mainly because Rebecca didn't near piss herself with fright, but an awesome callback.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

Well they're not just Canadian, they're Canadian hicks.

Derry Girls might give it a run for the money in my book, but part of that is just needing subtitles to catch all the words.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Babylon 5: The Long Dark
    Hey, haunted spaceship time! Just in time for October, too. The Copernicus, an old sleeper ship from earth, gets detected and brought aboard the station. Then it turns out it has a murderous Space Ghost on board. Whoops.

Thoughts:
    I was dubious about a slower than light ship managing to make it to B5, but B5 is a lot closer to earth than I thought. The station is in the Epsilon Eridani system, which is a real star about 10 light years from earth. There's still a few bits of weirdness here, as space is really, really big, but this made a lot more sense than I first thought.

It's good that shooting the Space Ghost a bunch worked to kill it. Otherwise B5 would have really been in trouble. They're just not set up to lure it into a triphasic magnetic vortex then hit it with an inverse tachyon beam.

It's also good that Dr Franklin quickly recognized that pursuing a relationship with the guest star would be inappropriate. Considering how the show was framing her up until that point, I was all set to hand out a Dr Bashir award for advancements in the field of medical ethics. Instead, I had to downgrade it to an honorary mention.

The male guest star was, I assume, good, but there's only so much ranting at thin air you can do before it gets awkward. (Does research.) Oh, hey, it's Barclay.

Not a very good Space Ghost, unfortunately. It only killed one person (on-screen; I guess there could have been more) after reaching the station. It's also vulnerable to being shot a bunch, and doesn't use it's "go through walls" ability anywhere near as well as it could. On the plus side, removing all a person's organs is certainly a murder method. (It may have been rather weak from the whole "stuck on a slower than light craft for ten years" thing.) In the end, horror elements are present, but barely. Nice mood, though.

For the silly reading, imagine that the Space Ghost didn't realize that the ship had no FTL capabilities until it was too late to return to the planet it came from. I mean, it's a space ship. What kind of morons build a space ship that can't go faster than light and send it to a different star system, and then get on board? It's obviously made by the same species as the soldiers it ate, and they had FTL travel. So it's desperately trying to find out where the FTL drive is hidden, but there isn't one and that doesn't make sense...and now it's stuck.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I appreciate the fact that virtually everything in the B5 setting is subject to the rule of If It Bleeds We Can Kill It. You may be the acknowledged apex predator of a hundred worlds but if an ape can kludge something together you recognize as a gun, you are fucked. It's never a question of "can it be killed?" and always a question of "what does it take to kill it and can the station survive that?"

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Gremlins 2 did American Dad better than American Dad does. And by that, I mean really leaning the concept into absurdity.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Babylon 5: The Long Dark
    Hey, haunted spaceship time! Just in time for October, too. The Copernicus, an old sleeper ship from earth, gets detected and brought aboard the station. Then it turns out it has a murderous Space Ghost on board. Whoops.

Thoughts:
    I was dubious about a slower than light ship managing to make it to B5, but B5 is a lot closer to earth than I thought. The station is in the Epsilon Eridani system, which is a real star about 10 light years from earth. There's still a few bits of weirdness here, as space is really, really big, but this made a lot more sense than I first thought.

It's good that shooting the Space Ghost a bunch worked to kill it. Otherwise B5 would have really been in trouble. They're just not set up to lure it into a triphasic magnetic vortex then hit it with an inverse tachyon beam.

It's also good that Dr Franklin quickly recognized that pursuing a relationship with the guest star would be inappropriate. Considering how the show was framing her up until that point, I was all set to hand out a Dr Bashir award for advancements in the field of medical ethics. Instead, I had to downgrade it to an honorary mention.

The male guest star was, I assume, good, but there's only so much ranting at thin air you can do before it gets awkward. (Does research.) Oh, hey, it's Barclay.

Not a very good Space Ghost, unfortunately. It only killed one person (on-screen; I guess there could have been more) after reaching the station. It's also vulnerable to being shot a bunch, and doesn't use it's "go through walls" ability anywhere near as well as it could. On the plus side, removing all a person's organs is certainly a murder method. (It may have been rather weak from the whole "stuck on a slower than light craft for ten years" thing.) In the end, horror elements are present, but barely. Nice mood, though.

For the silly reading, imagine that the Space Ghost didn't realize that the ship had no FTL capabilities until it was too late to return to the planet it came from. I mean, it's a space ship. What kind of morons build a space ship that can't go faster than light and send it to a different star system, and then get on board? It's obviously made by the same species as the soldiers it ate, and they had FTL travel. So it's desperately trying to find out where the FTL drive is hidden, but there isn't one and that doesn't make sense...and now it's stuck.

That last paragraph is making me giggle enough that my wife is giving me a look.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Well they're not just Canadian, they're Canadian hicks.

Derry Girls might give it a run for the money in my book, but part of that is just needing subtitles to catch all the words.

Yeah, it's a lot more a-very-specific-region-of-canada. Or so I've been told. Because if you aren't from like a small town, or maybe even small town south-western ontario, it's not any more familiar.

• Options
    I appreciate the fact that virtually everything in the B5 setting is subject to the rule of If It Bleeds We Can Kill It. You may be the acknowledged apex predator of a hundred worlds but if an ape can kludge something together you recognize as a gun, you are fucked. It's never a question of "can it be killed?" and always a question of "what does it take to kill it and can the station survive that?"

I think it makes the most sense that, in the end, there ain't nothing that can't be killed if you just shoot it enough times.

• Options

I think it makes the most sense that, in the end, there ain't nothing that can't be killed if you just shoot it enough times.

If the enemy is not weak against fire, you didn't use enough of it.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.