As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well that's certainly a thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Netflix certainly took a different lesson from losing subscribers than I would have

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    obviously what the people want is less content!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    obviously what the people want is less content!

Also, to pay more. Cause that's how you goose revenue.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Anyday I expect them to announce axing their whole animation division

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cutting back on spending and raising prices would seem to suggest that they can't sustain their current level of investment. It may well not be a choice here.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Cutting back on spending and raising prices would seem to suggest that they can't sustain their current level of investment. It may well not be a choice here.

It definitely seems that the share price is based almost entirely on continued growth (which is unsustainable beyond a certain level), rather than company value.

There's absolutely plenty of value in Netflix as a running concern, but the way the market works, the market might absolutely put a stake through it's heart.

• Options
    For the two of us who like Bosch, the new show starts on Freevee or whatever the fuck IMDB tv is now called I think thursday?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    For the two of us who like Bosch, the new show starts on Freevee or whatever the fuck IMDB tv is now called I think thursday?

Looks like it's directly integrated into the Prime Video app on TVs

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    McRhyno wrote: »

Looks like it's directly integrated into the Prime Video app on TVs

Yeah I'm thankful for that, I know that amazon owns IMDB, I think my wife told me this is basically their commerical streaming service.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    What is the Roku Channel? Looks like it's free if you have a Roku? Never heard about it till I saw the trailer for the Weird Al movie.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    What is the Roku Channel? Looks like it's free if you have a Roku? Never heard about it till I saw the trailer for the Weird Al movie.

It's a "free" channel you get access to through a Roku device. It's got the usual smattering of average to good movies that cycle in and out.

It's also got some TV shows like columbo and murder she wrote. Also had the super Mario super show for a long time.

It's also where a bunch of the quibi stuff landed and was rebranded "Roku originals"

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Roku Channel is available almost everywhere. It's on Samsung and LG TVs, Android, and iOS. Shouldn't be a problem getting to it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I haven’t looked into the new Bosch show but I’m already missing the old shows regular cast.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I haven’t looked into the new Bosch show but I’m already missing the old shows regular cast.

Yeah I'll miss J Edgar, crate and Barrel, their captain. But the books had a more rotational cast as well, so it's not all bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, I saw a list of things coming to streaming in Australia this month, that really piqued my interest.

Obviously, Stranger Things 4p1 and Star Trek's Strange New Worlds.

But three others stood out as definite "gonna check it out".

Hacks Season 2 is a definite must see, based on the perfomances of Jean Smart and ‎Hannah Einbinder, and the massive cliffhanger S1 left us with.

The other two, I hadn't heard of until this article.
    Night Sky (Amazon Prime, May 20): This sci-fi drama features Sissy Spacek and J.K. Simmons as a couple who discover a portal in their backyard. Stepping through, it leads to an abandoned alien base on a deserted planet. The series also stars Australian actor Chai Hansen, Adam Bartley and Julieta Zylberberg.

The Takedown (Netflix, May 6): After Lupin, is there anyone who doesn’t love Omar Sy? The action comedy is a buddy cop movie, a follow-up to 2012 flick On The Other Side Of The Tracks. Sy and Laurent Lafitte reunite in a story that takes them across France, on the trail of some drug dealers. Louis Letterier directed.

JK Simmons in a sci-fi show? Yes please. Haven't seen Spacek in anything in near thirty years, so that'll be interesting. Add in that premise, and I'm definitely gonna give it a looksee.

And Lupin (and Omar Sy) remains one of my favorite foreign language shows in recent history, so I'll at the least give it a shot.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    So, I saw a list of things coming to streaming in Australia this month, that really piqued my interest.

Hacks Season 2 is a definite must see, based on the perfomances of Jean Smart and ‎Hannah Einbinder, and the massive cliffhanger S1 left us with.

Night Sky (Amazon Prime, May 20): This sci-fi drama features Sissy Spacek and J.K. Simmons as a couple who discover a portal in their backyard. Stepping through, it leads to an abandoned alien base on a deserted planet. The series also stars Australian actor Chai Hansen, Adam Bartley and Julieta Zylberberg.

The Takedown (Netflix, May 6): After Lupin, is there anyone who doesn’t love Omar Sy? The action comedy is a buddy cop movie, a follow-up to 2012 flick On The Other Side Of The Tracks. Sy and Laurent Lafitte reunite in a story that takes them across France, on the trail of some drug dealers. Louis Letterier directed.

JK Simmons in a sci-fi show? Yes please. Haven't seen Spacek in anything in near thirty years, so that'll be interesting. Add in that premise, and I'm definitely gonna give it a looksee.

And Lupin (and Omar Sy) remains one of my favorite foreign language shows in recent history, so I'll at the least give it a shot.
    JK Simmons is excellent in Counterpart, an Amazon Prime Video sci-fi show, if you are looking for more JK Simmons in sci-fi.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Night Sky looks interesting, from the trailer.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

If this keeps up, they'll be victims of a leveraged buyout by vulture capitalists before the end of the year. It will all come full circle where everything will be sold off and they'll be shipping DVD's again.

• Options
    What the hell happened to children's tv shows? They throw money at famous names to voice shit now. My daughter's watching Sophia the First and I verified that I recognized Ming Na Wen and Tim Gunn

• Options
    Sometimes it can be like The Rock with kids movies, they just want to be in kids shows because they have kids/nieces/nephews. Also voice work pays.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    What the hell happened to children's tv shows? They throw money at famous names to voice shit now. My daughter's watching Sophia the First and I verified that I recognized Ming Na Wen and Tim Gunn

It's weird because there are very few shows that are just a story without slipping a life lesson in there. Or at least a lot of shows are terrible about writing them.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

I have a daughter, and at least for Sophia it's because it's a Disney princess, so they can throw that money around. If Mulan is going to do a guest appearance, why not get Ming Na?

• Options
    Could also be my impression of her carefully cultivated persona. But Ming seems to just like being in things. I mean she did an Elden Ring commercial!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Richard Harris only played Dumbledore because his 11 year old grand daughter or something said she wouldn't talk to him again if he didn't take the part. Later, he expressed some regret - "Because, you see, I don't just want to be remembered for being in those bloody films, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me."

I have to ask, who the fuck is Tim Gunn and why would kids give a shit about them voicing a talking fire hydrant or something in a cartoon? I ultimately don't sort of care about the practice, but it just irks when they can someone who was doing a really great job to replace them with the flavour of the month - as if children give a shit who voices the characters.

Check out the voice cast of Scoob! and boggle at why they'd run up the price of the flick with a bunch of names children don't care about.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Richard Harris only played Dumbledore because his 11 year old grand daughter or something said she wouldn't talk to him again if he didn't take the part. Later, he expressed some regret - "Because, you see, I don't just want to be remembered for being in those bloody films, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me."

Well good for him I only remember him for Gladiator and the Count of Monte Cristo with the jesus guy. Ha in your face Richard!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My mom is a freaking encyclopedia of Westerns and I've watched dozens with her, so for me Richard Harris is a Man Called Horse.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

I have to ask, who the fuck is Tim Gunn and why would kids give a shit about them voicing a talking fire hydrant or something in a cartoon? I ultimately don't sort of care about the practice, but it just irks when they can someone who was doing a really great job to replace them with the flavour of the month - as if children give a shit who voices the characters.

Check out the voice cast of Scoob! and boggle at why they'd run up the price of the flick with a bunch of names children don't care about.

Tim Gunn is a fashion Icon and he's got a fun voice for things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Well good for him I only remember him for Gladiator and the Count of Monte Cristo with the jesus guy. Ha in your face Richard!

For me, it's Count of Monte Cristo, and My Favorite Year (I dunno why that one sticks with me, but it does).

I just recently rewatched Cristo a couple months back, and while the kid who plays his son did a decent enough job, I didn't recognize him at all.
    It's Henry Cavill. Floored me when I finally figured it out.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    zekebeau wrote: »

I have a daughter, and at least for Sophia it's because it's a Disney princess, so they can throw that money around. If Mulan is going to do a guest appearance, why not get Ming Na?

With Ming Na Wen specifically it’s also probably not a reach to get her to do anything Disney. That partnership has to have been lucrative for her. When I think of things she’s been in the first 5 are all Disney. The 6th is Stargate Universe…

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Studios took the wrong lesson from Robin Williams as the genie. He was absolutely the right person to play that part, but ever since, they've been convinced that it was his celebrity profile instead of his perfect fit that made that role work.

It sucks that talented voice actors miss out on juicy roles in favor of the already wealthy and doubly so that it's self sustaining now. If the studio is confident in a project, they attach names to it. The voice actors don't have a chance to win back their industry when all the good scripts go to big names.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Saved by the bell on peacock got canceled. A show I didn't even know existed, but there you go Belding fans you win you can rest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It also doesn't help when a show doesn't have a named voice actor its like Steve Blum talking to himself.

But some guys like Freddie Prinz Jr Transitioned from regular acting to voice acting and I wouldn't say he's a stunt voice.

No, that's his main focus now and he's really good at it. He's also the exception that proves the rule. Freddie can't pull an audience anymore, if he ever really could, but he fits in seamlessly with his voice work. He's found the best use of his talent and he's crushing his roles.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Sometimes it can be like The Rock with kids movies, they just want to be in kids shows because they have kids/nieces/nephews. Also voice work pays.

Especially over the last two years when it was one of the relatively few production things still going strong.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

No, that's his main focus now and he's really good at it. He's also the exception that proves the rule. Freddie can't pull an audience anymore, if he ever really could, but he fits in seamlessly with his voice work. He's found the best use of his talent and he's crushing his roles.

She's All That coupled with Wing Commander show that his talent and potential to fill seats is evergreen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well he was now he's and I'm not making this up, starting his own professional wrestling company.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I finished Star Wars Rebels last week and then when looking something up found on he's the voice of Kanan on that show and was like "Holy shit".

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

I finished Star Wars Rebels last week and then when looking something up found on he's the voice of Kanan on that show and was like "Holy shit".

I still love the casting joke where Kanan tells Seventh Sister that he doesn't date crazy "anymore"

• Options

Well he was now he's and I'm not making this up, starting his own professional wrestling company.

He was legit a writer for the WWE for a while. Like video games, the kids who enjoyed them have grown up to be professionals and are bringing that love to the mainstream.

This discussion has been closed.