As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I read The Guardian's review of Sandman and I fear I might be TFG when it comes to the series.
    It's not a crow, it's a raven! Joanna Constantine doesn't show up in the books until much later, where's John! The battle in Hell for the helm isn't with Lucifer!

I might need to sort out some level of BAC to minimize the nitpicking when I watch it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I read The Guardian's review of Sandman and I fear I might be TFG when it comes to the series.
    It's not a crow, it's a raven! Joanna Constantine doesn't show up in the books until much later, where's John! The battle in Hell for the helm isn't with Lucifer!

I might need to sort out some level of BAC to minimize the nitpicking when I watch it.

I thought they’d just cast Jenna Coleman as John and thought it was neat, but according to Gaiman they couldn’t get the rights to use John.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

I thought they’d just cast Jenna Coleman as John and thought it was neat, but according to Gaiman they couldn’t get the rights to use John.

Rather unfortunate, but WB/DC is gonna WB/DC. Especially since he's only in one relatively short bit and it's a nice bit of interaction between him and Dream. I'm just going to assume that J'onn and Scott Free didn't make it either. I mean, why take advantage of another company's budget to promote your own characters? Crazy talk that.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So Sandman is out. Reviews I've seen vary from ok I guess to pretty damn good.

4 episodes in and I'm in the it's ok to good category (may change further in).

Spoiler-free: Some of the changes work better, some of the changes are worse. Casting is great (it usually is).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/wsVIS_AvW8M
    well Apple TV sure isn't making any cuts

Color me excited. S2 had some hilarious episodes intercut with some really great character episodes. I'm super happy they let them come back and swing again.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And I guess don't get your hopes up about anything thats finished production too (Batgirl...)

They said that because they would "need 30-50 million to advertise" it, they would rather just not release anything.

You see, its illegal for them to release something without advertising? So, it's gone.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    And I guess don't get your hopes up about anything thats finished production too (Batgirl...)

They said that because they would "need 30-50 million to advertise" it, they would rather just not release anything.

You see, its illegal for them to release something without advertising? So, it's gone.

My conspiracy theory is by announcing this fucking stupid decision they generated more actual conversations about the movie than any advertising budget would have for free.

And in like a week it'll be, "We are listening to fans, Batgirl to come to streaming next Tuesday!"

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I watched Prey, on D+.

It was fine.

Very, very dark, though.

Be prepared to not see a single thing that doesn’t happen during the day.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I watched Prey, on D+.

It was fine.

Very, very dark, though.

Be prepared to not see a single thing that doesn’t happen during the day.

Ugh, I know I'd seen something about versions lacking HDR or having other visual issues in some regions. I had no problems with what they put on Hulu in the US, the night stuff was all fine.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Sandman is ok. They had to do some spackling to make it fit without extended DC properties.

David Thewlis as John Dee is pretty standout.

Diner is as bad as remembered.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god its so true it hurts me. Unrelated I'm glad Prozd is back to doing skits I know he got tired of them but I love his voice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Why is it that all streaming services universally look terrible when you run them on a pc? Like either via an app or browser. It drives me nuts cos my preferred way to watch certain movies is on my pc, and I just can’t. It only looks high quality on my tv

• Options
    For a while I had downgraded my Netflix to the SD quality only version to save a few bucks a month and all the videos looked awful on pc. But they all still looked fine on my PS5. I feel like it was still the HD version on consol>tv

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    For a while I had downgraded my Netflix to the SD quality only version to save a few bucks a month and all the videos looked awful on pc. But they all still looked fine on my PS5. I feel like it was still the HD version on consol>tv

I’ve tried with Disney plus and Netflix, and looked in the settings, looks fine on my 4k tv, but pixelated on my much smaller 2k pc monitor

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh the basic plan on Netflix is more like 360p now, I remember when it had better bitrates months ago because I used to have the basic plan. Unless you’re watching on phone only you have to use regular to not makes your eyes bleed.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Why is it that all streaming services universally look terrible when you run them on a pc? Like either via an app or browser. It drives me nuts cos my preferred way to watch certain movies is on my pc, and I just can’t. It only looks high quality on my tv

Just my suspicions here, but I always figured it had to do with piracy. Ripping a stream on a pc or even just sharing it on youtube live or teams or whatever is easier than doing it through and app on the tv or console.

• Options
    Hob Gandling is still an excellent tale.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It looks like Netflix's new Sony deal has kicked in, Uncharted is now up, as is Carter, from the same director who did the UwU classy The Villainess.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

My conspiracy theory is by announcing this fucking stupid decision they generated more actual conversations about the movie than any advertising budget would have for free.

And in like a week it'll be, "We are listening to fans, Batgirl to come to streaming next Tuesday!"

Well if that was the plan, it sure backfired on them, considering the consensus seems to be that it should stay buried.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sandman is ok. They had to do some spackling to make it fit without extended DC properties.

I know it's just my bad memory but aside from Lucifer, John Constantine and...maybe Swamp Thing? I don't remember any other DC properties being involved. And all of those feel like they could just be replaced with whomever.

I haven't read the comics in probably 15+ years. Should I re-read them before I watch the show or after?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Well if that was the plan, it sure backfired on them, considering the consensus seems to be that it should stay buried.

That is not at all the prevailing opinion that I've been seeing.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

That is not at all the prevailing opinion that I've been seeing.

I pretty much only Internet on this forum and Reddit but I haven't seen a single person say it should stay buried. I'm damned curious to see a Batgirl movie or a movie made in the year of our plague-god two thousand twenty two starring Michael Keaton as The Goddamned Batman, much less both.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

I know it's just my bad memory but aside from Lucifer, John Constantine and...maybe Swamp Thing? I don't remember any other DC properties being involved. And all of those feel like they could just be replaced with whomever.

I haven't read the comics in probably 15+ years. Should I re-read them before I watch the show or after?

Jonn Jonn'z, some others. They did get Cain and Abel and their respective houses.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Anybody watching Sandman either never read the comics, or not give a shit about faithfulness? I read like maybe the first few comics a decade ago and recall nothing, and most of the criticisms I've read have been of the "they chaaaaanged a thing!" variety.

I mean, I'm going to watch at least the first episode or two regardless, but I'm wondering where to set expectations.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

This is the complete opposite of what I've read everywhere.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Anybody watching Sandman either never read the comics, or not give a shit about faithfulness? I read like maybe the first few comics a decade ago and recall nothing, and most of the criticisms I've read have been of the "they chaaaaanged a thing!" variety.

I mean, I'm going to watch at least the first episode or two regardless, but I'm wondering where to set expectations.

Wife and I went in 100% blind. Just got done with episode 5, and probably going to binge it all tonight.

Casting has been perfect. Holy shit can this get dark fast.

I'd give it a go

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I think I might have read the whole thing, or at least the whole thing insofar as this season covers, but I don't really remember any details as it was like 15 years ago. I really enjoyed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I’ve read all of Sandman at least 3 times but not at all recently. I actually own he whole thing; it’s on one of my “already read” comics bookshelves.

I watched the first episode tonight and, aside from casting choices who don’t look like the comic illustrations, it seemed faithful? But I have learned from Paper Girls that you can have a super strong first episode or two and then take a hard left so we’ll see how it goes.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Can somebody give me a good reason why I cannot watch Season 1-10 of The Walking franchise monster on AMC+? Aside from acquiring a pocket dimension of time and space with which to do so.

• Options
    Can somebody give me a good reason why I cannot watch Season 1-10 of The Walking franchise monster on AMC+? Aside from acquiring a pocket dimension of time and space with which to do so.

I think before AMC+ existed AMC had agreements where other streaming services had exclusive rights to stream seasons of shows and those didn’t stop when AMC got their own service.

Which isn’t, like, a Good reason.

• Options
    Seasons 1-10 of The Walking Dead are currently on Netflix, and have been for a long time, at any rate

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I think I'm like the only person here who's a fan of Jellystone!, but these updates don't bode well for it. Unless it counts as a Cartoon Network show first, and this might be protected? I don't know.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular

I think before AMC+ existed AMC had agreements where other streaming services had exclusive rights to stream seasons of shows and those didn’t stop when AMC got their own service.

Which isn’t, like, a Good reason.

That's kind of why streaming is bothersome. You would think that the originators of a show would still host their creation.
    Too many battles over rights and ownership deals.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It looks like Netflix's new Sony deal has kicked in, Uncharted is now up, as is Carter, from the same director who did the UwU classy The Villainess.

Yes, and I watched Uncharted tonight. It's fine. It's no Sonic or detective Pikachu, but as a movie from a game it's fine. The set piece moments were very video gamey, and I liked the dumb parts where the Uncharted theme kicked in because Spooderman was doing Nathan Drake things. The Nolan North cameo was dumb and uncomfortable and I still chuckled because fuckin really dude?

I don't regret watching it. It was fine. Mark Wahlberg was the worst part of the movie, and boy can I think of several people who could have done a better Sully.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Sandman episodes 1-6 watched

So far it seems to combine 2 issues of the comic per episode. I recommend watching episode 6 (The Sound of her Wings) after watching episode 5 (24/7) and not ending your evening on episode 5 (opinions may vary of course), because episode 5 is very dark, while 6 is probably the 2 best standalone issues of Sandman and overall pretty uplifting (even though some terrible things happen).

Two changes from the comics that I didn't understand they made:
    Episode 1:
    They changed Morpheus punishment of Alex from "Eternal Awakenings" (endless nightmares and waking up only to discover you're in another nightmare) to "Eternal Sleep". Maybe for budget reasons, but Eternal Awakenings seems so much more horrifying. Just a small nitpick though.

and

Episode 4: Hope In Hell
    The duel is between Morpheus and Lucifer instead of Morpheus and Choronzon and Matthew has to give Morpheus a little hint-talk to get him to win the duel. Both changes I dislike because it now has Morpheus "beating" Lucifer twice in a row (first by winning the duel, then by getting out of hell). And Dream shouldn't need somebody else to tell them that the answer is dreams.

All other changes so far I've been fine with.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Sandman is fine so far.

Which is kind of an insult to how amazing the comic looked.

But it's fine to watch. I think it humanizes Dream a lot more being a real actor than a more amorphous stylized comic character, knowing how the story goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I was going to watch it anyways but even after watching it this makes me want to let it run in the background just to spite those people.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’m currently watching episode 8, and I’m really liking it so far.

I’m definitely on board for the whole run, if they keep this up.

This from someone who owns the comics, and has read them to death.

This discussion has been closed.