As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Top Secret Invitational

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited September 2021 in Critical Failures
Welcome agents…
x69rak1wyame.jpeg
All the paperwork is complete. You’ve turned from a hot agent to a cool agent—that is to say: inactive, off duty.

The sky is suspiciously blue and cloudless as you arrive via stealth jet to the island (removed from all maps circa 1881). The golden ticket in your breast pocket, you survey the vista—beautiful, pristine—suspiciously so. You’re on edge, just as you’ve been trained to be. But damn… that villa overlooking the beach looks down right groovy.

Guns and gadgets at the door; it’s time to party baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29fcv5E52Y

—————

What are we playing?
This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia.

In brief: The uninformed majority of players must investigate and form a trusted network in the hopes of voting out members of a concealed, informed group that can eliminate one player per day, before it’s too late!

The main difference between this game and other similar Phalla is that the game will end in seven days (not including weekends), rather than when one group outnumbers or eliminates the other. Every player will have a couple of objectives, and completing an objective earns them one point. On the final day the remaining players will have their points totalled, so while your group may succeed, you personally can come away as the best agent at the Invitational!

—————

I must have the black box!
The black box awaits you all as you enter the villa. Looks… top secret. It’s probably nothing. You’re on vacation. Hm… You must have it!

One of you grabs it in the ensuing sexy scuffle, but who has it last is what matters!

An agent will be randomly assigned the black box on the first day. There will be a method to deduce who has the black box at any given time, to those with the right skills…

There are three methods to obtain the black box.
  1. The current owner of the black box can give it to another agent (via PM or other message I can see). They can’t decline, they’ve got it now, and they can’t pass it back to the previous owner.
  2. The last person to vote for someone who possesses the black box, regardless of if they are eliminated, takes the black box.
  3. If the current owner of the black box is assassinated, the black box goes to the killer.
What purpose does the black box serve? Will it help or hinder you? Is it treasure or trap? That’s for you to decide.

—————

Is that it?
Well… as the game is espionage focused I am keeping a few quirks back, but all the rules you need to know will be revealed to you as part of a private message when the game begins.

—————

Voting
Vote for the player who you find most suspicious of being an undercover hot agent in bold red with "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be eliminated from the game.

Should there be a tie in the vote, in this game, the tied agents and the agent that instigated the tie are eliminated. If a vote is removed to create a tie, only the agent that removed their vote is eliminated. Be careful, agents.

Voting will close each day at 2000 UTC, 2100 BST, 1600 ET, 0600 AET, 1300 PT; any actions before the hour (xx59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (xx00) will not. My actual update on the day’s events may come up to an hour after.

—————

Signing Up
Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. Signups will close when I have 30 players, or I guess, Monday at 2100 GMT/UTC, 1400 PDT, 0700 AEST. I’ll give you all 24 hours heads up for when the game is going to commence either way.

—————

Inactivity
It’d be nice if you made two posts in the thread per day and PM’d me any actions you’re going to take for the night. I’m not going to sweat inactivity too much, but I don’t think it’s very shaggadelic. You must vote once per day however, at the risk of losing a point!

Endless_Serpents on

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Clarifications
    Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

discrider wrote: »
    I'm just a waiter and Does the box switch hands if the person who has it has no votes on them at the end of the day?

No.
    You can steal it by being the last one to vote for the current owner of the black box. In this way you might accidentally take the black box from someone you genuinely think is suspicious, or intentionally vote for someone at the final hour if you’ve figured out they’ve got it.

If no one votes for the current owner of the black box, they keep it. Unless they are killed off or they give it away.

Do we have to tell the recipient of the box that they're receiving it, or can we just leave it in an inconspicuous paper bag at the dead drop point?

You must tell the recipient of the black box that you are giving it to them via a PM I can see.
    Thank you for bringing this one up, as I’d like to set in stone that such an action must include the words “the black box” in the message.
    * Heads up! The black box inbound!
    * I am giving you the black box.
    * The black box, sucka!

I considered the other method, but the time between me getting a message from you and then passing on the new status may be too great to be fair.

If the person who ties the vote would get the box and dies to the vote, where does the box go?
    The second last person on the original holder, or the last person on the one who tied (assuming the one who tied tied for self-preservation)?

This is top secret. It has been accounted for.

Lucedes wrote: »
    What’s in the box?

It’s top secret. You’ll need all the tools of your trade to crack it after the party is over.

—————

Other Rules
    Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

If any players utilize outside messaging services for private communication or conduct interesting conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the host.

—————

Agents
    1. 3cl1ps3
    2. Auralynx
    3. JPants
    4. Romantic Undead
    5. Munkus Beaver
    6. Phyphor
    7. Lucedes
    8. Xaquin
    9. Bucketman
    10. AustinP0027
    11. JusticeforPuto
    12. 38thDoe
    13. discrider
    14. Wildcat
    15. I needed a gnome to post
    16. H3Knuckles
    17. Locus
    18. MamaWolf
    19. kime
    20. Brody
    21. blahmcblah
    22. mrpaku
    23. Lost Ninja
    24. Infidel
    25. Green
    26. Calica
    27. Gizzy
    28. SLyM
    29. SeGaTai
    30. Alegis

Reserve
    1. premium
    2. Heffling
    3. .

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOOX?!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh boy, someone (unintentionally, I suspect?) remixed my badly-done Airport Phalla hot-potato idea?

I'm in.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Oh boy, someone (unintentionally, I suspect?) remixed my badly-done Airport Phalla hot-potato idea?

I'm in.

I made it up, but I guess it’s like that everything evolves into crabs meme. It just made sense.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    An invitational, and I was invited?

I'm in!

I must be a special boy!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Alright I've got the bug. Plus I have to figure out what shady shit 3cl1ps3 is up to.

!You can't trust the weatherman, not in the summer.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I may need to be a reserve on this one

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    listen, i'm here on this tropical island to drink cocktails and get murdered.
    no other reasons, okay? i definitely don't want that awful box.

...but i will sign up.

• Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I may need to be a reserve on this one

No worries. <3

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm all in. Sign me up

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure about all this passing around of a mysterious box. Pretty sure I saw a movie once where they did that and then secret alien ghosts came out and ate their faces.

But, you know, I'm still down.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Are we not doing phrasing anymore?

• Options

I’ve only been around for the last three games but I think signing up without strictly saying “I sign up” has been a thing for awhile.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

I’ve only been around for the last three games but I think signing up without strictly saying “I sign up” has been a thing for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyLWrKh2fB0&amp;ab_channel=CaptainSneddon

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Heh.

Oh also welcome agent! You’re in.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    What we need here is a priest of Aoskar I think...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Last time I was really active in Phalla was 10 years ago and people were already being creative with sign up messages by the time I fell out of it in grad school.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm just a waiter and Does the box switch hands if the person who has it has no votes on them at the end of the day?

• Options
    Do we have to tell the recipient of the box that they're receiving it, or can we just leave it in an inconspicuous paper bag at the dead drop point?

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Can the drop point be a front porch? And can we light the bag on fire?

• Options
    The box lights bags on fire naturally

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    !Signup please!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I'm in.

I made it up, but I guess it’s like that everything evolves into crabs meme. It just made sense.

So long as you didn't steal the Spy Pen. SeGaTai was pretty psyched about that back when.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    If the person who ties the vote would get the box and dies to the vote, where does the box go?
    The second last person on the original holder, or the last person on the one who tied (assuming the one who tied tied for self-preservation)?

discrider on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    What’s in the box?

• Options
    What’s in the box?

Secret Agent Crow
    sctfgrj4k2iv.png

• Options
    What’s in the box?

sps2csq6zpgi.png

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    0n1a781i5f76.png

Who? No, I think you're looking for someone else.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    What’s in the box?

This continues to crack me up, because it's just the question a crow would ask.

Are there shinies in the box?
    Shiny pebbles?
    Can I drop this on a road?

• Options
    What’s in the box?

This continues to crack me up, because it's just the question a crow would ask.

Are there shinies in the box?
    Shiny pebbles?
    Can I drop this on a road?

Can I trade it for human food in a primitive barter system?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm in

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021

No.
    You can steal it by being the last one to vote for the current owner of the black box. In this way you might accidentally take the black box from someone you genuinely think is suspicious, or intentionally vote for someone at the final hour if you’ve figured out they’ve got it.

If no one votes for the current owner of the black box, they keep it. Unless they are killed off or they give it away.

You must tell the recipient of the black box that you are giving it to them via a PM I can see.
    Thank you for bringing this one up, as I’d like to set in stone that such an action must include the words “the black box” in the message.
    * Heads up! The black box inbound!
    * I am giving you the black box.
    * The black box, sucka!

I considered the other method, but the time between me getting a message from you and then passing on the new status may be too great to be fair.

This is top secret. It has been accounted for.

What’s in the box?

It’s top secret. You’ll need all the tools of your trade to crack it after the party is over.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The second day of sign up continues, secretly, but hopefully not too secretly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ktoaj1IpTbw

• Options
    edited September 2021

No.

(To be clear, the scenario here is where I vote for everyone each day to steal the box)

I guess the less silly scenario is, if the last player to vote subsequently retracts or changes their vote, the box will presumably go to the next voter in line (or stay with the current owner if there are no other voters).

discrider on
  • Options
    edited September 2021

No.

(To be clear, the scenario here is where I vote for everyone each day to steal the box)

I guess the less silly scenario is, if the last player to vote subsequently retracts or changes their vote, the box will presumably go to the next voter in line (or stay with the current owner if there are no other voters).

Oh I get you, yeah it’ll go to the next in line. :+1:

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    I would like to !sign up, please!

https://youtu.be/6iaR3WO71j4

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I'll take my mystery shaken not stirred........wait I think I got that mixed up.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"