As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No, It's the Artisanal Cheese Villains Who Are Wrong in the [BAD FOOD] Thread

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Udon noodles are my favorite for how thick and springy they are

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Udon is usually my pick too when picking up something from the "International" section.

Haven't tried fresh though, may be time to get back to HMart.

Edit: boo, out of stock.
    s46lq7g1s6gr.png

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    What kind of preparation would you suggest for udon

Cause I can go to the Asian grocery this week sometime

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

This looks fancier than what I've done, but here's a stir fry recipe:
    https://www.justonecookbook.com/yaki-udon/

• Options
    I just got a coupon to get a 20" pizza for ten bucks from my favorite pizza place because it's their tenth anniversary tomorrow

• Options
    I just got a coupon to get a 20" pizza for ten bucks from my favorite pizza place because it's their tenth anniversary tomorrow

Go for it.

$20 for a 20in pizza in ten years will less a deal.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Yeah it's like half off almost.

Crazy good deal.

I bet they'll be super busy so we'll have to get there early

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Go for it.

$20 for a 20in pizza in ten years will less a deal.

But once you factor in inflation it might be almost as good of a deal.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I've never made yakiudon but I like to eat it.
    When I'm making udon, especially when it's cold, I make soup.
    Broth of preferred type.
    Add flavorings of choice.
    Udon, then top with stuff like flash boiled lettuce or bok choy, menma, enoki mushrooms, dumplings, soft boiled egg,menma, etc. However the spirit moves you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there is a pan-asian supermarket near me because I'm not down in hell (they even have Golden Boy peanuts :trollface:)

they sell these packaged like, vacuum sealed udon noodles, soft and everything, and you just pop it open and put some water and the seasoning pack in a bowl and microwave or pot and cook on stove, however you desire

they're very comforting to me

• Options
    I bought some instant microwave udon bowls

Having one for lunch and it's super good

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Made omurice (or at least, my first-timer version of it) for breakfast, it was pretty good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There is an amazing little Japanese place a few blocks from my work I get lunch from sometimes

The beef udon set is my regular order.
    Udon soup with that super thin shaved beef on top, two fried shrimp and a croquet. It is divine.

They also do kick ass unagi

• Options
    My girlfriend bought some pre-marinated wings from Whole Foods and they cooked perfectly in the air fryer. They definitely lost all the flavor of the sauce in the cook though so I'm definitely just going to cook plain ones next time then toss them after.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I made pancakes yesterday for pancake day. If you forgot about pancake day, you can have pancakes today instead. They're easy to make. Get some real maple syrup not that fake shit.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I prefer the fake shit to the real shit because it gives me Childhood Memory Seratonins.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I want my pancakes to taste like sugar, not trees

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    There's a summer tradition in Japan called Nagashi Somen where you slide cooked somen down an angled pipe made from spilt bamboo to an outdoor area where a bunch of people gather around and try to grab the somen out of the pipe with chopsticks
    https://youtu.be/qLNPYJJyfts
    I've always wanted to host a Nagashi Somen party

as seen in the documentary, Nichijou
    https://youtu.be/x2ypDDYDl70

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I want my pancakes to taste like sugar, not trees

But how do you feel about spite? http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/40-to-1

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EOWd488T0
    cooking Chuck steaks with a cast iron

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    I made apple cinnamon simple syrup the other day and the syrup didn't turn out great, but the apple slices that were just simmering in cinnamon sugar water tasted fucking great afterword.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I used to buy a can of apple pie filling and just toss it in a pot for a half hour on medium-low and go to town on it.

They say a can of apples a day keeps the doctor away!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Saw this in a recent Mikey Chen vid in South Korea. I needs.

YvLWX.jpg

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I've never made yakiudon but I like to eat it.
    When I'm making udon, especially when it's cold, I make soup.
    Broth of preferred type.
    Add flavorings of choice.
    Udon, then top with stuff like flash boiled lettuce or bok choy, menma, enoki mushrooms, dumplings, soft boiled egg,menma, etc. However the spirit moves you.

basically this.

i make a big pot of broth of some kind. can be fancy, but mostly it's just chicken boullion cubes in water. add in garlic, ginger, lemongrass (the precrusched stuff from the produce section), red pepper flakes if i'm feeling crazy, a bit of light soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, some brown sugar, and either rice wine vinegar or mirin or both, whatever.

then i just toss in whatever frozen veggies I've got, some form of meat (lately been frozen shrimp and frozen fish balls from the asian market) heat that all up until it's ready.

In smaller pot I boil plain water, put in 1 packet of the fresh udon at a time, cook for about 2.5 minutes, pull them out, straight into a bowl, top with soup.

I likely don't have to do the separate boiling process, but since Ellie doesn't like a lot of flavor on her udon, and I like to try and pretend that i'm controlling portions, it's how i've been doing it.

Lately i've been topping my udon soup with a fried egg and some Lao Gan Ma. I don't use a lot of broth in my bowl, just enough to keep the noodles from being sticky, but Ecco loooooveees broth. so it works out well.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That sounds like some profoundly rad broth you got there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    There is an amazing little Japanese place a few blocks from my work I get lunch from sometimes

The beef udon set is my regular order.
    Udon soup with that super thin shaved beef on top, two fried shrimp and a croquet. It is divine.

I got this for lunch today.

I splattered soup all over my beard and shirt but it was worth it.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Udon is a good hot pot noodle, too!

Man, I miss doing hot pot. Stupid covid.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mum would have loved that idea.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

So much hotpot this winter, both at home and at restaurants.

All you can eat hotpot is so stupid and I love it.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

So much hotpot this winter, both at home and at restaurants.

All you can eat hotpot is so stupid and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQOpC5f9OU

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The wife is going out with friends tonight, which means I'm on my own for dinner.

Do I make something she usually won't eat like Sausage and Sauerkraut or a curry?

Or do I give into my inner demon and just make blue box mac n cheese and corn dogs?

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Get Dat Mac on.
    Feed your Inner Snorlax

• Options
    I ate a huge steak yesterday for lunch and today my stomach really hurts and I'm not sure if these facts are related

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    The wife is going out with friends tonight, which means I'm on my own for dinner.

Do I make something she usually won't eat like Sausage and Sauerkraut or a curry?

Or do I give into my inner demon and just make blue box mac n cheese and corn dogs?

Sausage and sauerkraut curry flavoured mac n cheese

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Sausage and sauerkraut curry flavoured mac n cheese

Curry sausage sliced into mac n cheese.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Really want sauerkraut now

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I tried to make slow-cooker curried chicken thighs with potatoes and lentils, but I slow-cooked it for too long and everything sort of disintegrated into a delicious savory paste.

So now it's empanada filling. Which, as it turns out, is just fine with me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    We had a lentil soup at the Indian restaurant when my mom and I went that was really delicious and I kind of want to learn to make it

This discussion has been closed.