As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No, It's the Artisanal Cheese Villains Who Are Wrong in the [BAD FOOD] Thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    And fuckin' cranberry sauce is counted in the Jello category, it's less of a vegetable than a potato is.

Yeah I’m more concerned that 71% of people consider cranberries as a vegetable.

Cranberries taste like a cherry that hates you. literally sugar sweetens it

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Why must everything on this list be steamed and mushed and sad OR FROM A CAN?

Because America white people white Americans.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    But doctor, I am white Americans

Related content I'm pretty excited to have reason to make three separate types of pies this week and pawn them all off for three separate occasions

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    because specifically white americans who don't really know how to cook that well probably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Most Americans don’t cook their Thanksgiving meal out of the November issue of Bon Apetit

Those (mostly) all look delicious LS but they are not in the wheelhouse of the majority

-Edited to remove language that could be taken as an attack though it was not meant that way

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

This made me so mad I had to run to the other room to get my laptop to type out a response because the phone wasn't gonna cut it

What the FUCK is wrong with people if this is accurate

1. Parsnips are fucking amazing I love them they're better than carrots by a mile
    2. This list, if true, is why Samin Nosrat keeps shitting on Thanksgiving as a bad, bland, texture-less meal

Look! Look at this Thanksgiving menu!

Dried figs with black pepper and fresh bay leaf
    Sesame-crusted feta with black lime honey syrup
    Rosemary marcona almonds
    Dry-brined roasted turkey
    Buttermilk mashed potatoes with gravy
    Double-cranberry and dried cherry relish
    Carrots with coriander pistachio pesto and pickled onions
    Brussels sprout and kale salad with parmesan and preserved lemon
    Mushrooms and chestnuts with za'atar
    Sage and chicken liver sourdough stuffing
    sweet potato oven fries with char siu
    Dark chocolate-bourbon pecan pie with mixed chile powders

Look at how many vegetables! Look at the different textures and flavour profiles and colours! Why must everything on this list be steamed and mushed and sad OR FROM A CAN?

Your menu definitely has way more flavor than any Thanksgiving meal I've ever had, and that even counts the pandemic bubble Friendsgiving I did last year where I brined and fried a turkey for the first time ever.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Parsnip, properly prepared and cooked, are the absolute best vegetable in the world and I will hear no dissent.

And by proper preparation, I mean you damn well leave those things in the ground until it’s time to dig it up to roast them. If you’re not in a climate with frosts to properly sweeten them, you move to such a climate. They’re worth it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

This made me so mad I had to run to the other room to get my laptop to type out a response because the phone wasn't gonna cut it

What the FUCK is wrong with people if this is accurate

1. Parsnips are fucking amazing I love them they're better than carrots by a mile
    2. This list, if true, is why Samin Nosrat keeps shitting on Thanksgiving as a bad, bland, texture-less meal

Look! Look at this Thanksgiving menu!

Dried figs with black pepper and fresh bay leaf
    Sesame-crusted feta with black lime honey syrup
    Rosemary marcona almonds
    Dry-brined roasted turkey
    Buttermilk mashed potatoes with gravy
    Double-cranberry and dried cherry relish
    Carrots with coriander pistachio pesto and pickled onions
    Brussels sprout and kale salad with parmesan and preserved lemon
    Mushrooms and chestnuts with za'atar
    Sage and chicken liver sourdough stuffing
    sweet potato oven fries with char siu
    Dark chocolate-bourbon pecan pie with mixed chile powders

Look at how many vegetables! Look at the different textures and flavour profiles and colours! Why must everything on this list be steamed and mushed and sad OR FROM A CAN?

Your menu definitely has way more flavor than any Thanksgiving meal I've ever had, and that even counts the pandemic bubble Friendsgiving I did last year where I brined and fried a turkey for the first time ever.

How long does that take?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    About an hour, or little bit less? It's probably the fastest prep method, but also one of the most dangerous. I was prepared and had an Alton Brown-style "turkey derrick" so that no one hand to get too close to the very hot oil and we did it outdoors on a pavement surface so there was nothing around us that would burn in case of the worst-case scenario.

I will say, I was pretty proud of that bird and it was one of the better turkeys I've ever had. We definitely could've done a better job of coordinating everything, but that's the difference between a Friendsgiving scenario (at least in my case) and my family doing the logistics.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also Asparagus that far up the list for a meal in November? Where's that asparagus coming from?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I smoked then confited some beef cheeks today, then served them up with a range of sides in bao. The winning flavour combination though was bao, beef, pickled red onion and a truffle chilli sauce. The chilli sauce was a bit too spicy in terms of dominating flavours but it was still, super tastey.

z7x7z668v9sz.jpeg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    You know what's good?

Coffee
    wt8k9hs1ow8i.png

This might be the best I've ever made.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The real crime on that Thanksgiving side list is how low collards are.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The real crime on that Thanksgiving side list is how low collards are.

Collards with vinegar, ham hock/turkey leg/anything smoked, and hot sauce is divine!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    If you can find a place that has smoked turkey necks, they are cheap as hell and perfect for all greens and beans. Also you're saving waste!

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    So for a bit of vindication, I went to Dillons (grocery store) today to get some parsnips to fix for for Thanksgiving. After searching I, asked an employee who said they don't carry them anymore and haven't even been able to special order them. My parsniplessness continues.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Opty on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Also Asparagus that far up the list for a meal in November? Where's that asparagus coming from?

The same place it always comes from. Halfway across the world in an airplane.

Asparagus is one of the most CO2 intensive crops in America, iirc.

Evil and delicious

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the fuck

good thing I don't really like asparagus, now I have an excuse never to eat/cook it again

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    did I accidentally buy 3 donuts from Dunkin Donuts just now because I was hungry?

Yes, yes I did.

Did I just consume all 3 of them by myself?

Also yes.

Do I have ready access to better donuts in my area?

Yes, yes I do.

But do any of them have that actually chocolate with a hint o bitterness glazed cake donut?

No, no they do not.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    This reminds me - at last, I have a chip (crisp?) to submit from NZ for bad food ideas:

erh4gg2v829t.jpg

They're probably not as bad as the Lamington chips from last year, but since some of you have a reaction to pineapple on Pizza, a pizza flavor that includes pineapple should also be considered bad food, I guess?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    the fuck

good thing I don't really like asparagus, now I have an excuse never to eat/cook it again

Yeah, if your asparagus is not locally grown, it's pretty bad. And it isn't like asparagus is a particularly hard thing to grow, we used to grow it in our backyard in Michigan. It's pretty set-abd-forget, except it takes, like, 2/3 years to produce the first harvestable crop

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJz2ZLm852s

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I mean, it's right on the bag...

tdl8wohqgazm.jpg

Honestly though if I'd eat all those weird Lay's flavors, I'd give these a shot. Not a fam of flavored rippled chips - liked that most of the Lay's were regualar.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Asparagus is fucking trash and I'm doing my part for the environment by refusing to eat it.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I will not be hearing rebuttals or taking questions I have bunkered down on my asparagus positions and I am prepared to wait you all out.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You go on hating it, that's just more for me.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The same place it always comes from. Halfway across the world in an airplane.

Asparagus is one of the most CO2 intensive crops in America, iirc.

Evil and delicious

Asparagus is a long lived perennial, just keep eating the same year over year

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love asparagus

But then I love all vegetables

With the exception of daikon which tastes like dirty dishwater

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    I love asparagus, but it is something you eat in the spring/early summer. A couple of minutes on the grill, then eat them with french fries and béarnaise. *chef's kiss*

• Options
    edited November 2021
    It’s something you eat when you don’t need to be concerned about how your pee smells

I’m trying to come up with a situation where you need to be concerned with your pee aroma but

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I love asparagus

But then I love all vegetables

With the exception of daikon which tastes like dirty dishwater

Daikon is excellent because it absorbs flavor like a sponge

It sounds like someone may have served you daikon boiled in dirty dishwater, which qualifies as "neva fo'give action" 'round these parts.

sarukun on
  • Options
    no it's all bad on my palate

i also dislike it pickled

it is moderately tolerable in certain soup stocks but like, it just always has an aftertaste of dishwater to me, even raw

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think my fiancee has a similar problem, she insists that we soak it in water for like two hours ahead of time before doing anything with it to get rid of some flavor that I have never noticed about it in the past. I can't tell the difference but she refuses to eat it unless it's prepared that way.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It’s something you eat when you don’t need to be concerned about how your pee smells

I’m trying to come up with a situation where you need to be concerned with your pee aroma but

I can think of a few

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    What the fuck are you doing to those 'snips, America?

Ignoring them in the produce isle

America, could you come in to my office for a few moments. We need to talk.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I can think of a few

Urologist appointment?

Water sports?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I love pickled daikon in veggie based sushi rolls.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Maybe it's one of those genetic tastebud situations like cilantro/coriander tasting like soap

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.