As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, It's the Artisanal Cheese Villains Who Are Wrong in the [BAD FOOD] Thread

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I'm down at the level of "two tablespoons, I guess?" *shrugs, stirs it in*

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anyone ever freeze coffee beans?

Are Mason jars suitable or do I really want to vacuum seal them.

All the time! James Hoffmann actually did a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT5_IWWb00

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular

Consensus is that freezing coffee beans is a no no. When you bring them out, moisture condenses on the beans something something loss of flavour.

If you do want to store coffee beans for a while, vacuum seal them and just store them at room temperature.

Fuck off and die.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

All the time! James Hoffmann actually did a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT5_IWWb00
    Cool

I was really worried I would need a vacuum thingy

Damn

Fuck off and die.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Consensus is that freezing coffee beans is a no no. When you bring them out, moisture condenses on the beans something something loss of flavour.

If you do want to store coffee beans for a while, vacuum seal them and just store them at room temperature.

Yeah James H goes into detail on this but you can totally freeze them long term, you just need to freeze them and leave them frozen. Don't freeze-thaw. Once you take them out of the freezer, they're out for good, and keep them sealed while thawing.

They'll keep way longer frozen than at room temperature, even if sealed airtight. A lot of the complex organics in coffee just break down at room temperature over time.

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

Finally I can cut the carbs by tripling my salt intake.

...I do want one though.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I'm down at the level of "two tablespoons, I guess?" *shrugs, stirs it in*

I haven't actually measured anything in years. Just another dish to clean. I need two cups chicken stock for this recipe? Gonna pour in about half the container then.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Milliliter precision is not practical outside of a laboratory setting. You'd have to have one of those thin tall measuring glasses.

I'm confused by this. There is no difference in precision whether a recipe calls for 1/2 decilitre or 50 millilitres. It's just different numbers on the spoon/cup/jug.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The point is that ml is so small as to be nearly pointless in cooking, using a larger unit allows you to much more easily intuit what the amount you need is. 5cl I can measure out by eye, 50ml I need a measuring jar, because it's 50*tiny.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Milliliter precision is not practical outside of a laboratory setting. You'd have to have one of those thin tall measuring glasses.

I'm confused by this. There is no difference in precision whether a recipe calls for 1/2 decilitre or 50 millilitres. It's just different numbers on the spoon/cup/jug.

There is very much a difference. It's called significant digits.

Specifying that you need 0.5 dl is different from saying you need 0.500 dl; specifically, the precision which is required.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Also, half a desiliter is not very much. For cooking I'd rarely go below 1 dl without switching to tablespoons.

Madican wrote: »

I haven't actually measured anything in years. Just another dish to clean. I need two cups chicken stock for this recipe? Gonna pour in about half the container then.

A lot of things come in conveniet sizes. The raindeer recipie I mentioned? Raindeer comes in packages of 400 g, sour creams in 3 dl containers, 250 g is a can or two of mushrooms, most of the rest you can eyeball / is to taste anyway.

50 ml implies it's relevant for the recipe that the volume is 50 ml and not 51 ml.

Measuring a liquid to within a ml is wasted effort in a normal kitchen. Even within a cl is usually more work than it's worth. It's more practical to present the recipe in something you can easily measure one of at home. Also, it's just proper form to use units that gives the lowest integer for readability.

But really, the measurements should be in whatever is most convenient for the end user. If that is ml in the English speaking world, then fair enough.

Personally, I'd be angered by the implication that the measuring cup is actually precise down to a milliliter. I'd need to read specifications and certifications and shit.

Fuck off and die.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Metric is the objectively better system of measure, but the granularity of milliliters would drive American cooks to madness. Significant figures get taught in high school science, but most people never have any reason to reinforce that learning unless they go into a career in science or manufacturing. Hence, deciliter or centiliter.

edited October 2021
    In the USA if a recipe lists ml it's probably because our pyrex cups are usually labeled in like 50ml increments. On the opposite side from the cup fractions side.

Like it's probably because most Americans don't remember dl or cl after middle school science class but we do remember 1ml of water is 1g and a liter is 1000ml

Tallahasseeriel on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Stupid marathon. I had to clarify my own butter for chicken tikka masala today because I woke up on the wrong side of the blockade from all the stores I know that sell ghee.

Have fun with your chafed nipples, you goddamn traffic hazards.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    As somebody who has cooked using ml their entire life and never even thought about specificity I promise you are all imagining a problem that doesn't exist

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    All volumetric measurements should be in cubic inches.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    In the USA if a recipe lists ml it's probably because our pyrex cups are usually labeled in like 50ml increments. On the opposite side from the cup fractions side.

Like it's probably because most Americans don't remember dl or cl after middle school science class but we do remember 1ml of water is 1g and a liter is 1000ml

I bet fewer than 10% of US residents know this.

As somebody who has cooked using ml their entire life and never even thought about specificity I promise you are all imagining a problem that doesn't exist

I've had multiple experiences where I've given someone a recipe using ml and grams and then watched them painstakingly measure out that exact amount of their ingredients. People on this side of the pond aren't as good as those who've grown up with it at thinking about how to work with small units of measure.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I bet fewer than 10% of US residents know this.

or one deciamerican

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    I'll admit that I measure the flour and water in my bread to the gram. I've got a metal straw that I've never used to drink with, it's pretty much a dedicated tool for removing the extra two or three grams of water from the measuring cup.

In my defense, if Rose Levy Baranbaum wanted me to use about 310 grams of flour, she shouldn't have told me to use 311 grams of flour, she intended for this to happen.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm about to make a sweeping generalisation here.

Most recipes have a degree of tolerance in them when it comes to quantity.

Your meal isn't going to make you shit the bed if you're a couple of grams over or under.

Don't fuck about too much and put say 20g more of something.

But a few grams either way won't kill you.

This is in regards to normal cooking though.

My wife is an avid baker and she tells me that has to be way more precise.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hot take: if you need two of those fancy toothpicks to hold a sandwich together you have put too much shit in there

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Hot take: if you need two of those fancy toothpicks to hold a sandwich together you have put too much shit in there

As a strong proponent of big sandwiches, this is a statement I will fully agree with.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm about to make a sweeping generalisation here.

Most recipes have a degree of tolerance in them when it comes to quantity.

Your meal isn't going to make you shit the bed if you're a couple of grams over or under.

Don't fuck about too much and put say 20g more of something.

But a few grams either way won't kill you.

This is in regards to normal cooking though.

My wife is an avid baker and she tells me that has to be way more precise.

Well, if you're making bread and a recipe calls for 2g of baking soda and you use 5, you may be in for a pretty bad time. Fudging the water and flour ratios is usually fine, but once you start fucking with the cream of tartar, baking soda or baking powder, you're in The Wasteland.

There's also a huge difference in the tolerances of a cooking recipe vs baking. Baking is basically chemistry.

Chemistry? Nope

Chemisdo

vftgh50yfuts.jpg

Karl pointed out baking was different and everything!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean your also talking about the accuracy of the measurement rather than than applying a fixed tolerance to all measurements.

If you do all your measurements to within five percent then you are well within tolerance for baking.

edited October 2021
    The funny thing is that I am so precise about my baking measurements because that's something I can control. And then I just go ahead and knead the dough any old how and sometimes I painstakingly fingertip all the bubbles out of the dough on the final shaping and sometimes I just decide to fold it and fuck it, and it's a coin flip as to whether or not I'll have big old keyhole bubbles under the top crust or not. Often as not one loaf will turn out county-fair perfect and the loaf in the oven right next to it will look like a Borrower dug out a studio apartment in there.

Baking: probably just a mystery, who even knows.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    The trick with baking is to find a recipe that starts with "easy".

Or a Jamie Oliver receipe. Even I can manage his pizza dough receipe.

edited October 2021
    I bake my own bread every week, my brothers do the same multiple times per week, and my mother is an avid baker.

I can confidently say that measuring ingredients down to the gram is pointless. My mother doesn't even measure at all, just pours stuff in until it feels right, and one of my brothers is halfway there, too.

Also, I would argue that bread can only be leavened with yeast or sourdough or it isn't bread. (Unleavened bread is also bread but if it's leavened with, say, baking powder it isn't.)

[Expletive deleted] on
    I mean, if you recipie calls for, e.g., "one large egg" any claim to exact measurements has already gone out the window.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Are you calling soda bread not bread?

I'll fite u

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Hmm, scones aren't bread?

Grudge wrote: »
    Hmm, scones aren't bread?

Scones are scones.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Scones are biscuits that remove all the moisture from your mouth

I have acquired some of that Norwegian brown cheese

I shall try it this evening and report back

This discussion has been closed.