As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ankh-Morpork ahoy!

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Social Entropy++
Ok, who all out there has read any of the Discworld books? An awesome series, theres no real order but the world does progress from novel to novel. Basically if you read em outta order you wont miss anything big.

My personal favorites are Reaper Man, Soul Music, Feet of Clay and Thud! which I just finished tonight.

So, have you guys read any of these?

(Ill spruce up this OP tomorrow when I can think better)

Lardalish on

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first two books are actually in sequence, and are an amazing - and I mean fucking amazing - introduction to Discworld. The Colo(u)r of Magic is the first one. Go read now.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Haven't read them but I think I'll put them on the list for when I'm done with my current stack of books.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2007
    They're very pleasantly quick reads.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love the Discworld series. This thread has inspired me to go re-read the first Pratchett book I can find around my house.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    Geebs61Geebs61 Ruiner PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Boost Aquateen episode is on.

How much did Boost pay for this?

Geebs61 on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first two books are actually in sequence, and are an amazing - and I mean fucking amazing - introduction to Discworld. The Colo(u)r of Magic is the first one. Go read now.

I have, and they are indeed amazing.

Though I think Death and Vimes are my favorite characters, while Rincewind runs a close third.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lardalish wrote: »

I have, and they are indeed amazing.

Though I think Death and Vimes are my favorite characters, while Rincewind runs a close third.

Rincewind was easily one of my favorites, but I haven't read all of them, so I dunno.

Vimes and Death are really good, though, too.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm reading Maskerade right now. I <3 Nanny Ogg. I think the only one I haven't read is Interesting Times. I kinda read some out of order.

I really liked Monstrous Regiment, The Truth, and whatever one involves Vimes going back in time.

EclipsedPlanet on
  • Options
    EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Night Watch

EclipsedPlanet on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hi EP

Night EP

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Has anybody seen any of the Discworld dvds?
    182680.jpg

Dunno how I feel about them.

I'm a fan of Vimes and Death, and of a few of the newer characters. I loved Moist Von Lipwig.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Hogfather special that aired just after Christmas was pretty fucking awesome.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vimes is amazing. Monstrous Regiment was fucking awesome; it was way, way more macabre than any other book in the series. Totally different tone, but amazing nonetheless.

Really, I think The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (the first two books written) were weaker than most of the rest of the series (not to say that they aren't good). They just keep getting better as he writes more; I don't know how he does it.

Terry Pratchett is what Douglas Adams would be if he lived up to his hype.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Vimes is amazing. Monstrous Regiment was fucking awesome; it was way, way more macabre than any other book in the series. Totally different tone, but amazing nonetheless.

Really, I think The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic (the first two books written) were weaker than most of the rest of the series (not to say that they aren't good). They just keep getting better as he writes more; I don't know how he does it.

Terry Pratchett is what Douglas Adams would be if he lived up to his hype.

I have to say I agree. I prefer his later stuff, but I still like the early stuff a lot.

I don't revere Douglas Adams to the same extent as a lot of people, but I really enjoyed Last Chance to See. I haven't come across anybody else who has read it though.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just finished reading Going Postal again last night. Such awesome books, I think I've read all the ones I have at least 5 times each. Anything involving the wizards is the best, followed by Death.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i loved the discworld games

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    JayraeJayrae Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Night Watch (the one where Vimes goes back in time) is a favorite of mine and a big departure, I think, from the earlier more lighthearted books. It is grim as fuck, in the way that all time travel novels should be, when the time traveler knows the eventual fates of everyone around him. Plus, it had Lobsang!

Lords and Ladies was the first one I read, when I was still young enough that some of the sex jokes went over my head. Midsummer Night's Dream was always my favorite Shakespeare so I loved it.

Vimes and Granny Weatherwax are the two most awesome characters. I'm not sure if they've ever been in the same book, but if they were, it would be purest win. Rincewind I could generally do without, though.

Jayrae on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love the Discworld books. It's amazing how much Terry Pratchett has improved his writing since the first book. I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but Night Watch and Thud! are pretty high on the list.

Ivar on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Every time Rincewind doesn't get laid, I'm very sad.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Damnit Pratchett, get working on Making Money and the Ankh-Morpork Subway book!! Quickly, before you die!

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Have you read the one about cats? It's pretty awesome, as is Good Omens, the one he did with Neil Gaiman.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Small Gods is my favorite Discworld book.

Small Gods is an actual book, correct? I didn't dream it up?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah Small Gods is a book, an amazingly good one, too.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i remember there used to be a discworld cartoon and id watch it sometimes with the impression that it was some gayass elves and wizards shit which i still think it might be i forgot but i think the show was alright maybe

and then each episode would end by zooming out to show the whole world on the back of some giant space turtle and every time it would blow my mind

see cos gravity couldnt be uniform across the whole disc and would make things difficult

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played all the Simon the Sorcerer games thanks to my mother, and Thief of Time is my favourite book

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Small Gods was the first one I read, strangely enough. It is still my favourite Pratchett book to date, even without Vimes. Though wherever Vimes appears, awesome things are bound to happen. <3

Also, the Dean is amazing and Corp. Carrot is sooo dreamy! <3

Iskander on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I read every single Discworld book up to Going Postal in one month. I had no TV and no internet, but I had a library card. They're now all sorta blurred in my head, and I can't really remember all of them. I hate it when that happens.

My favorite is definitely Night Watch, though. But to really appreciate it, you have to have read the rest of the City Watch books, so it's a terrible starting point. Tricky.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jingo ftw.

Although the first few Watchmen books are also awesome. Oh yeah and and Night Watch. Thud too. Shit all of them are... also Sourcery and Interesting Times are classic Rincewind.

Damn this always happens... there's too many good ones.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jingo has to be the best. I cannot stop laughing whenever I read it, and it has nearly all the nest characters; Vimes, the Patrician, Carrot...

skinny87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    did anyone else play simon the sorcerer

the monkey island games paled in its glorious point and click shadow

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    there's anew one supposed to come out

HoA-player on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Or rather a new one came out in Germany a while ago.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i think it died for me with simon the sorcerer 3d, and now im determined to find out if the old games are abandonware

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    lazyboilazyboi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The new one, Making Money, is due out on the 24th of September. I think it has Moist von Lipwig in it...

lazyboi on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favorite one is probably Feet of Clay, although Monstrous Regiment was pretty awesome too.

Jebu on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of his more recent efforts, although Going Postal was awesome.

Thud!, Monstrous Regiment, the Tiffany books...didn't really do it for me.

Worst book he's ever written? I'd go for Carpe Jugulum. Fucking appalling.

PaPa on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Halo>Discworld

Zoolander on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FUCK YOU PaPa! seriously though, Pratchett's books have consistently been amazing (I've read ALL of them, to my knowledge, even the non Discworld stuff. Seriously, READ CARPET PEOPLE!)

Though the first couple of books arent as well written, anyone wanting to get into Pratchetts work should read them if only to understand the world the rest of the books are coming from. Physics and science have their own rules as does magic, and it helps if you understand that when you're reading the later books

MY favourites though are the Witches books, the interplay between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg is amazing, and the characters are written superbly, really really worth reading. Especially the slightly earlier ones, whichever one it is which deals with stories is particularly awesome, but i cant be digging through all my books to find it now.

Quirk on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Quirk wrote: »
    FUCK YOU PaPa! seriously though, Pratchett's books have consistently been amazing (I've read ALL of them, to my knowledge, even the non Discworld stuff. Seriously, READ CARPET PEOPLE!)

Though the first couple of books arent as well written, anyone wanting to get into Pratchetts work should read them if only to understand the world the rest of the books are coming from. Physics and science have their own rules as does magic, and it helps if you understand that when you're reading the later books

MY favourites though are the Witches books, the interplay between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg is amazing, and the characters are written superbly, really really worth reading. Especially the slightly earlier ones, whichever one it is which deals with stories is particularly awesome, but i cant be digging through all my books to find it now.

I too have read all of them, including Carpet People, but I just feel that some his work covers too much of the same ground. Carpe Jugulum was just another tedious rendition of the "Granny Weatherwax meets an enemy she can't defeat and defeats them" formula. This formula worked well in books like Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies, but I just felt that Carpe Jugulum didn't really have anything else carrying it.

PaPa on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think to appreciate Pratchett you can't really get hung up over whether or not the book in question is formulaic--it always will be. The trick is that he's usually working like five different plots together in the same formula...that's what makes it interesting. I agree that sometimes it bombs, though.

scarlet ave. on