As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So, Washington...people can see web domain information. In spite of what Missouri's governor claims, it's not hacking.

If the name does end up being Washington Commanders, it would only be fitting that they botched the secret by giving NBC Washington unblurred footage.

Paul Connor does stuff about WFT and used to be associated with SBNation in some way.

Washington Commanders. Let that one sit.

Oh, and some have pointed out that the Handmaid's Tale has a bunch of shitty assholes also called 'commanders'. Which could make this potentially a really poor choice for the Washington football team.

Also, too, the Washington Commies.
    Take that one with you.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Who has more playoff wins in the Super Bowl era, Matthew Stafford or the Lions? I'll give you a hint, Stafford has 2 this year.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    So, Washington...people can see web domain information. In spite of what Missouri's governor claims, it's not hacking.

If the name does end up being Washington Commanders, it would only be fitting that they botched the secret by giving NBC Washington unblurred footage.

Paul Connor does stuff about WFT and used to be associated with SBNation in some way.

Washington Commanders. Let that one sit.

Oh, and some have pointed out that the Handmaid's Tale has a bunch of shitty assholes also called 'commanders'. Which could make this potentially a really poor choice for the Washington football team.

Also, too, the Washington Commies.
    Take that one with you.

Not surprised, "Danny Boy", is slowly, taking his sweet ass, petty ass time, to Official unveil the new team name on February 2nd, 2022.

Also will sue you if you don't thank him in text messages.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hey, Jeff Garcia! Your whole ass is showing!
    It’s been a banner week for the revival of the decades-old take that those who haven’t played a sport professionally shouldn’t evaluate it, with Chicago Cubs’ pitcher Marcus Stroman first bringing that up and former NFL and CFL quarterback Jeff Garcia now following suit. Following the San Francisco 49ers’ 13-10 playoff win over the Green Bay Packers Sunday, there was plenty of talk from many media members about how 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo didn’t have a great game despite the win (he finished with 11 completions on 19 attempts for 131 yards with no touchdowns and an interception), but Garcia took particular exception only to those remarks from ESPN senior NFL analyst Mina Kimes, saying in a since-deleted Instagram post that she couldn’t criticize Garoppolo because she didn’t play in the NFL. Some quotes from that, via Ryan Glasspiegel of The New York Post:
    Asshole wrote:
    Who the hell is Mina Kimes and when is the last time she threw a touchdown pass in a game?” Garcia asked. “Never! Ever! has she taken a snap or can truly understand the ability, the mindset, the physical and mental toughness, that it takes to play the QB position or any position in the NFL.

Go fuck yourself, Jeff.

• Options
    Hey, Jeff Garcia! Your whole ass is showing!
    It’s been a banner week for the revival of the decades-old take that those who haven’t played a sport professionally shouldn’t evaluate it, with Chicago Cubs’ pitcher Marcus Stroman first bringing that up and former NFL and CFL quarterback Jeff Garcia now following suit. Following the San Francisco 49ers’ 13-10 playoff win over the Green Bay Packers Sunday, there was plenty of talk from many media members about how 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo didn’t have a great game despite the win (he finished with 11 completions on 19 attempts for 131 yards with no touchdowns and an interception), but Garcia took particular exception only to those remarks from ESPN senior NFL analyst Mina Kimes, saying in a since-deleted Instagram post that she couldn’t criticize Garoppolo because she didn’t play in the NFL. Some quotes from that, via Ryan Glasspiegel of The New York Post:
    Asshole wrote:
    Who the hell is Mina Kimes and when is the last time she threw a touchdown pass in a game?” Garcia asked. “Never! Ever! has she taken a snap or can truly understand the ability, the mindset, the physical and mental toughness, that it takes to play the QB position or any position in the NFL.

Go fuck yourself, Jeff.

Terrell Owens was right.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't go that far.

Owens was an asshole too, and he took his criticism way over the line when he started spouting homophobia.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.

Owens was an asshole too, and he took his criticism way over the line when he started spouting homophobia.

Yeah. I almost said 'Owens was right' and then I remembered what he'd said. And I'd hate to actually say Owens was right about anything.

• Options
    I wouldn't go that far.

Absolutely and I totally forgot about TOs homophobic shit towards Garcia.

Jeff still is an ass though for his Mina Kimes take.

• Options
    "Jeff Garcia, 4-time Pro Bowler" is a phrase that should be enough to convince anyone that the Pro Bowl doesn't actually elevate the best players.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    "Jeff Garcia, 4-time Pro Bowler" is a phrase that should be enough to convince anyone that the Pro Bowl doesn't actually elevate the best players.

He was the third and greatest head of the two-headed Niners dynasty of QBs

• Options

That was Elvis Grbac.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I said before KC and Washington should have just traded names and been the KC Reds and the Washington Chiefs (it is a rank and is etymologically similar to corporal, captain, and chef, and supposedly comes from PIE for "head")

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

That was Elvis Grbac.

Submit that to "Defector's" "Remember a Guy" list.

Holy shit., I forgot bout Elvis!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    why can't they be the washington washington's
    like their mascot can be a george washington
    6'8" and weighs a fucking ton

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

He’s busy working for the Nats.

• Options
    edited January 2022

Would you like it if Lil Danny Snyder took ,"Warriors"?

Because that's how you get the Washington Warriors DL.

Oh shit, I forgot that was also on Danny Boy's , short list.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Ben Rapelisburger has finally retired. Good riddance, you neanderthal fuckhead.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    But he's "grateful" that being a star white NFL QB got him out of paying for any of the consequences of his hideous behavior!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Ben Rapelisburger has finally retired. Good riddance, you neanderthal fuckhead.

Be interesting to see how the Steelers go about replacing him.

While he was pretty fucking trash last year, as we've seen, teams with long term security at the QB position tend to just ignore development. Mainly because it's just too expensive to have an adequate backup when you're paying near 20% of your salary cap to a single player, and only one is used (mostly) on the field at the same time.

See Packers when Rodgers is out, and the trashfire that was the Saints QB room.

The Steelers are fairly low down in the draft order, and I'm not sure how many true quality QB's will actually move, so it could be not even a rebuild, but a tread water season next year.

• Options
    To be fair to the Steelers, they’ve been to many Superbowls and won several with not-great QB play

• Options
    Also lol
    1u54xp8y18mu.jpeg

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Hate to break it to Steelers fans but Big Ben is not a HOF QB

I get that they feel entitled since every Steeler from the 70s down to the waterboy got in, but just... no

knitdan on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I get that they feel entitled since every Steeler from the 70s down to the waterboy got in, but just... no

Hate to break it to you, but Big Ben is absolutely a Hall of Fame quarterback.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I mean multiple teams this year are proofs of concept that you can make it far in the post season and to the Superbowl with a mediocre qb
    You don't necessarily need greatness at that position anymore

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I mean multiple teams this year are proofs of concept that you can make it far in the post season and to the Superbowl with a mediocre qb
    You don't necessarily need greatness at that position anymore

Your odds are always with a top QB but an an average one has always had a shot behind a great defense and some lucky breaks. That's never really changed.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Regardless of anything else, he was getting in based on his SB victories. That's how Eli gets in.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Regardless of anything else, he was getting in based on his SB victories. That's how Eli gets in.
    Eli gets in solely for causing 18-1.
    I think 2 owls is enough for Ben to get in. Not sure though - other than being a bitch to tackle, he was never the part of the team that made them scary. Maybe he's a Jim Plunkett.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    Wins are not a QB stat

He may get in

That doesn't mean he deserves it

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »

Eli gets in solely for causing 18-1.
    I think 2 owls is enough for Ben to get in. Not sure though - other than being a bitch to tackle, he was never the part of the team that made them scary.

Doesn't matter. Neither QB was anything special, but it's not called 'Hall of Anything Special'. Winning two Super Bowls will be enough for all the voting turds who care about any of it.

• Options
    Some franchises are well-run-enough to field a good team without relying on an all-pro QB to hide their flaws, and my point is the Steelers are one such franchise and I don’t expect them to spend time in the NFL wilderness now that they’re going to be looking to replace their below-replacement QB on a playoff team with …. anybody else

The Ravens, Niners, pre-fail-generation-Mara Giants, and pre-Snyder Washingtons are other teams that come to mind

• Options
    I do not like Ben Roethlisberger at all but he's probably like the 12th best QB of the modern football era. He wasn't great in either of his Super Bowl victories, but he had an incredible career and many franchises would have been happy to have him.

• Options
    12th best QB of his era

Now that's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Considering how many qb's have come and gone and most of them have not been very good, it kinda is

He's a sack of shit who I don't want to get in the HOF but we all know he will.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    12th best QB of his era

When we’re talking about the super bowl era, yes it is.

He’s clearly a hall of fame QB even if he sucks as a person.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So what, 12th best is Hall of Fame worthy? He had a long career, but even without taking into account off field activities I would be hesitant to enshrine him forever next to truly great QBs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So what, 12th best is Hall of Fame worthy? He had a long career, but even without taking into account off field activities I would be hesitant to enshrine him forever next to truly great QBs.

Yes

12th best with two rings will do it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Butters is talking like 12th best since Marino/Elway, yeah

Marino
    Elway
    Kelly
    Young
    Favre
    Warner
    Brady
    Brees
    Manning
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Mahomes

That’s a ~chronological list of the guys I’d put ahead of him

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    12th best QB of his era

He leads in dumbass, considering he still doesn't wear a helmet riding his hog after almost killing himself in an under 30MPH collision with a parked car.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Some franchises are well-run-enough to field a good team without relying on an all-pro QB to hide their flaws, and my point is the Steelers are one such franchise and I don’t expect them to spend time in the NFL wilderness now that they’re going to be looking to replace their below-replacement QB on a playoff team with …. anybody else

The Ravens, Niners, pre-fail-generation-Mara Giants, and pre-Snyder Washingtons are other teams that come to mind
    If you build a good team, with good fundamentals, offensive and defensive lines. You can have a team go to the playoffs, beat the Packers and be a contender, even if you have Joe Burrow as QB.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Joe Burrow or Joe Flacco

I wanna say Joe Burrow has the 2nd best first 27 starts in a career after Mahomes so

Captain Inertia on