As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Dammit for once in their existence why couldn’t the Raiders have been not assholes?

Why is winning the game being assholes? Like, fuck the Steelers, but the Chargers controlled their own destiny and failed. The Steelers controlled their own destiny and succeeded.

Also the Chargers took a timeout when the Raiders had the ball with 40 seconds left so they literally threw themselves out of the playoffs.

It’s not that deep. It’s literally just rooting for mass chaos. Steelers are probably even my second favorite team behind the Vikings and I still wouldn’t have been able to stop laughing if we had gotten the tie in this game.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Dammit for once in their existence why couldn’t the Raiders have been not assholes?

Why is winning the game being assholes? Like, fuck the Steelers, but the Chargers controlled their own destiny and failed. The Steelers controlled their own destiny and succeeded.

Because a hilarious scorigami tie to end Ben Roethlisberger's career would have the second funniest thing about this NFL season. (Justin Tucker's 68 yard doink #1, obviously)

I agree that it would've been hilarious and I was rooting for it, but I'm not gonna root for either team to do it on purpose.

Kicking a 47 yard field goal is objectively a worse decision when taking a knee gets you into the playoffs either way. Not sure how seeding would have potentially changed with a tie so that may factor into going for the win, but either way that field goal attempt is a risk whereas kneeling is not.

Edit: It appears Raiders get a more favourable draw now so it makes the FG attempt definitely worth it. Maybe Chargers should have contained that third down a bit better…..

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't think the raiders were assholes for trying to win, especially when it seems clear they were prepared to accept a tie (like, if they don't break that one third down run for 10 yards or whatever the time out's immaterial)

it's just fun when weird, once in a lifetime shit like this happens in sports. 'Remember that one time when the raiders and chargers tied to keep the steelers out of the playoffs?' woulda been a fun bar convo for years

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Even better would be 'Remember when LA and Las Vegas tied a game to force that shitheel QB to retire?'

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Well, definitely rooting for everyone except the Raiders now

Nooooo definitely root against Ben getting picked multiple times and getting meme photo’d looking lost in his final game

• Options
  • Options
    Surprised Nagy is still unannounced

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Nagy and Pace are both gone

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, but have they been fired?

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah, but have they been fired?

Yes

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10015309-bears-rumors-hc-matt-nagy-fired-after-4-seasons-in-chicago

• Options
    Now do Gettleman and Judge

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Raiders definitely seemed like they were prepared to let a tie happen, running 3 times on their final drive and not taking any timeouts. Then on 3rd down the Chargers took a timeout hoping to force the Raiders to punt and give THEM the chance to win the game for themselves and the Raiders went "lol fuck you then, lets kick the field goal" after their 3rd down run got them into range.

I'm super biased against the Raiders! I hate em. But LA sure seems like the asshole here and they got what they deserved, lol

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I think LA took the timeout to get their defense right to stop a run and gave up a 10-yard run anyway

I think Staley was definitely playing for the tie and that timeout was to put his best defensive play out there to make it happen

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I think LA took the timeout to get their defense right to stop a run and gave up a 10-yard run anyway

I think Staley was definitely playing for the tie and that timeout was to put his best defensive play out there to make it happen

That's what I believe the coach said. That they just gave up a 7yd run, that two of the lighter pass defence players were taken off, and that he put in a heavy set.

Didn't pay off, but there are explainable reasons.

I was all in on hating the Raiders, but since Gruden got shit canned, Carr, whose been maligned for years, is getting a chance to show he's not garbage. Always thought he was better than portrayed (though hardly elite).

And if you're a hater, cementing Carr as the QB, and causing the head office to consider retaining the interim coach, is a good enough reason to root for them to wax the Bengals (?), before getting dumped out of the playoffs.

It's like Cousins garbage game pounding of the Bears probably keeps him in that spot. And as someone who's tangentially a Packers fan, Cousins being the Vikings QB is just awesome.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Hrmm that's interesting, the perception sure seems to be that the Chargers betrayed the unspoken "no timeouts let's tie" deal and are taking a lot of heat for it.

But that explanation makes sense too.

Misunderstandings!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Really all the Chargers needed was a not completely fucking terrible run defense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Stephen M Ross ruled out Harbaugh for Miami because he's more loyal to Michigan than the team he owns. Not even kidding.
    “I’m not going to be the person who takes Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan,”

• Options
    Stephen M Ross ruled out Harbaugh for Miami because he's more loyal to Michigan than the team he owns. Not even kidding.
    “I’m not going to be the person who takes Jim Harbaugh away from Michigan,”

The fixation some people have to a place they spent a small fraction of their life/education at, and paid tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for the privilege to do so, remains a fucking mystery to me.

Be funny if/when Jim decides to pack it in and goes to an NFL team, what Miami ownership thinks of the loyalty then.

• Options
    You sure you want to claim Ross?

• Options
    Not especially. He's probably in the top ten shittiest Michigan alums, though we have some serious assholes to contend with. But also John Dingell! And James Earl Jones! And Arthur Miller!

• Options
    Lol, Gettleman "retired."

• Options
    He didn't lose his job. He knows right where it is, but someone else is doing it now.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Not sure why Flores was fired? He seemed really well liked and I don't remember folks saying he was a terrible coach. They had high expectations this season, but when you're starting QB goes out for a long stretch, it's tough for anyone to hit those. Not to mention most folks think they over achieved the year before, kind of weird to say "well you over achieved, over achieve again but better".

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Not sure why Flores was fired? He seemed really well liked and I don't remember folks saying he was a terrible coach. They had high expectations this season, but when you're starting QB goes out for a long stretch, it's tough for anyone to hit those. Not to mention most folks think they over achieved the year before, kind of weird to say "well you over achieved, over achieve again but better".

Because Ross is an idiot.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I think him and Tua didn't get along, and Ross landed on the side of Grier in a power struggle.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I was rooting for the tie mostly because of the pure schadenfreude from seeing those two Steeler's fans who showed up to the game and imagining them having to walk back to their car the sole losers in a stadium of thousands, both sides getting to point and jeer at them.

Amazing, it could have been amazing. I mean we got to basically see them shitting themselves as the clock ticked down, but that would have been my superbowl victory, just getting to laugh at a couple fucking yinzers or whatever they call themselves who decided to be trolls and show up like that

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    What’s amazing is that the tie was probably less likely than the Jags blowing the doors off a full-strength, win-or-die Indy squad

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Chicago sports talk has gone insane. The firings were announced yesterday in the morning and everybody was having a party. Then, at 1pm local time, ownership spoke to the media. Holy shit. They could cast resurrection on Papa Bear Halas himself and the fans would declare that he came back wrong, pet sematary style. That's how sure everybody around here is that the next hire is going to be fucked up, all because of a bad presser.

• Options
    They apparently talked to Flores who seems like a good coach, to be honest. Just didn't get along with the dysfunctional morons in charge of the Dolphins.

• Options
    Oh hey the Giants got around to firing Judge.

• Options
    I thought Flores did a great job looking on from the outside. The reports coming out make him sound like the second coming of Tom Coughlin, which is a hard pass from me. Not interested in hardass culture, whether it works or not.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I thought Flores did a great job looking on from the outside. The reports coming out make him sound like the second coming of Tom Coughlin, which is a hard pass from me. Not interested in hardass culture, whether it works or not.

It sounds like he has the New England disease for sure. Got to be on a team that had Tom Brady, so now every QB looks shitty.

As a Lions fan I am very much in favor of the Bears hiring him to come ruin Justin Fields.

I think with Flores and Judge fired, there are no longer any Bill Belichick assistants in Head Coach jobs anywhere, which is awesome. Some people count Vrabel, but he only played there, never coached there.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    God I would be so happy if the Giants hired Flores and rid me of this troublesome Duke.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Smurph wrote: »

It sounds like he has the New England disease for sure. Got to be on a team that had Tom Brady, so now every QB looks shitty.

As a Lions fan I am very much in favor of the Bears hiring him to come ruin Justin Fields.

I think with Flores and Judge fired, there are no longer any Bill Belichick assistants in Head Coach jobs anywhere, which is awesome. Some people count Vrabel, but he only played there, never coached there.

Yeah, that's the one thing that Reid has over Belichick in terms of "greatest coach". Belichick is clearly the strongest within his own team, but his legacy of producing talent is mediocre. There's at least four coaches from the Reid coaching tree (Harbaugh (BAL), McDermott (BUF), Rivera (CAR/WAS), Reich (IND)) that are still coaching, two with lengthy careers to date, two with Superbowl appearances. Whereas Belichick has produced a few mediocre assholes or spectacular failures, who appear to try to emulate Bill, but simply don't have the talent to do so.

Bill is IMO hands down the better overall coach, but his ability to bring out talent in his subordinates is not something he's good at.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

idk, a lot of players seemed to be shocked. It sounds like he was a rough boss on assistants and didn't think Tua was the future. I hope the Bear's don't hire him since they have a good defense and Fields is probably only going to get better. A good HC could push them up quite a bit.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Fields’s accuracy was good, but his production lagged what you’d expect based on it because he personally caused too many sacks

The same issue he’s always had, dude is giant and fast as hell but reluctant or unable to use those skills to avoid taking sacks

Worst sack rate in the league, and you might be surprised to learn the Bears offensive line actually graded out as average at worst by all stats groups in pass protection

• Options
    Playoff TV Schedule:

Saturday-
    4.30p EST - Las Vegas @ Cincinnati NBC (Mike Tirico, Drew Brees)
    8.15p EST - New England @ Buffalo CBS (Ian Eagle, Charles Davis)

Sunday-
    1.00p EST - Philadelphia @ Tampa Bay FOX (Buckman)
    4.15p EST - San Francisco @ Dallas CBS (Jim Nantz, Tony Romo)
    8.00p EST - Pittsburgh @ Kansas City NBC (Al Michaels, THERE'S A GUY)

Monday-
    8.00p EST - Arizona @ Los Angeles ESPN/ABC (Steve Levy, Brian Griese, Louis Riddick)

Oh, and Nickelodeon is doing a Wild Card game again. It'll be the SF/DAL game. Noah Eagle, Nate Burleson, and Gabrielle Nevaeh Green return to the booth. It wasn't the worst thing if you missed it last year, but it's certainly not for an already knowledgeable fan. Probably still better than half the broadcasts on any given Sunday.

• Options
    Let’s see:
    Cincinnati can’t win a playoff game, so Raiders

Buffalo beating Bill Belichick in the playoffs doesn’t seem like a thing that can happen (although it did once in the early 90s, I swear) so Patriots

Philadelphia rocking Tom Brady again would be awesome but I don’t think it’ll happen, Buccs

I have to pick the Niners cause of hilariousness

KC, but the game will only meet expectations if Ben’s final game is miserable and gives us lots of the face he last wore being turned down by Stormy Daniels

I have no clue what to expect from Matt Stafford in a playoff game….why is this on Monday

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

idk, a lot of players seemed to be shocked. It sounds like he was a rough boss on assistants and didn't think Tua was the future. I hope the Bear's don't hire him since they have a good defense and Fields is probably only going to get better. A good HC could push them up quite a bit.

There are a lot of good candidates that have been the head man before. He's behind Harbaugh and Bowles. Probably behind Pederson and maybe even Quinn. The only guy on the interview list that I'd instantly take him over is Frazier. That's before you get to some of the very interesting coordinators that will get a look. He's definitely got his upside, but I don't care for the stories coming out where he gives the cold shoulder to certain players, is pals with others, jumps into meetings to yell about something he's read in the paper. He sounds like a dick.

• Options
    Harbaugh is Raiders or Michigan I'm pretty convinced.