Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    Oh fuck yes, I can get the arr beast tribe mounts without spending 48 years grinding arr beast tribes

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Also for those concerned about story spoilers from the media tour, it looks like they did get to do one dungeon. Doesn't seem like there's really much lore at all there but if you want full blindness be aware

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    wait, how does arcanist changing to reflect the new summoner affect scholar's early game?

They handled this question with Shadowbringers, actually. They made Scholar almost completely divorced from Arcanist's leveling progression.

Basically, when you equip the Scholar job stone, your abilities actually change significantly.

If you compare the Summoner and Scholar job guides, you'll see that only 1 skill for Scholar is classed as a carry-over from Arcanist, and that's Resurrect. Even stuff like Ruin, Bio, and Physick are treated as separate, Scholar versions of the same skill; when I started playing Shadowbringers, I had to replace some stuff on my Scholar hotbar, because they were the Arcanist spells and not the Scholar spells anymore. The Scholar skills are given learn-levels below 30, but that's just for level syncing. The Endwalker changes are probably going to involve suddenly learning Bio when you equip the job stone, for instance.

To sum up; Arcanist won't effect Scholar's early game whatsoever, because Scholar basically pretends that Arcanist doesn't exist.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Eeee!

Media Tour info: BLM
    Black Mages now gain Aspect Mastery from level 1, meaning you will always have Ice and Fire spells cost nothing when the opposite buff is active.

Also, they're kinda splitting Freeze into 2 spells. Blizzard II is gonna see a power boost, become a ranged AOE spell, and apply Umbral Ice III. While Freeze is gonna lose its Umbral Ice III, and stick to giving you Umbral Hearts. Specifically, it'll grant three hearts instead of the 1 it currently applies. Essentially, Freeze is becoming an AOE Blizzard IV, while Blizzard II is becoming an AOE Blizzard III. I will kinda miss having only one AOE ice spell to care about, but having the AOE rotation feel more like the single-target one is kinda nice. Blizzard II and Fire II will also be replaced by those new High spells; High Blizzard II, and High Fire II. Flare is gonna get nerfed, but High Fire II will stack a buff called "Enhanced Flare", which brings its power back up to Shadowbringers' standard. So you'll want to cast High Fire II a few times, then drop your chained Flares with your 1 remaining Umbral Heart. Oh, and Fire II will grant Astral Fire III when you have Aspect Mastery 3. So it's gonna just be AOE Fire III now.

Speaking of making AOE feel like single-target, Foul gets a buff to make it instant-cast, at the same level that you learn Xenoglossy.

Even Blizzard I will be useful again, maybe, as it's one of the skills you use the new Paradox mechanic with. Paradox triggers when you swap from Fire to Ice, or from Ice to Fire while you have 3 Umbral Hearts. It replaces Fire I and Blizzard I with Paradox; a spell with a potency of 510, which mimics the additional effects of those spells, based on your current buff. So, since you'd otherwise be leaving damage on the table, you now have a reason to equip Blizzard 1 to your hotbar again.

Basically, BLM is seeing some changes to make it feel less like it keeps drastically changing from level to level, as you gain levels or sync down. There will be much fewer spells that just become useless, and Transpose is not gonna be your ideal way to swap elements at low levels anymore. I think that's gonna go a long way to making the job feel better at lower levels.

Scathe still sounds useless, tho.

Oh and there's a new skill that lets you immediately gain a Polyglot stack every 120 seconds. So yay, more instacasts for movement.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTK_1Sq8ZQ

Oh Boy! I've been considering going into END as a Dark Knight, dispite of some folks upset at the (lack of ) changes. But I may just prepare to power level a Reaper. Looks fun.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    wait, how does arcanist changing to reflect the new summoner affect scholar's early game?

arcanist gets summon ruby carbuncle at level 6 and it's a lesser version of summon ifrit, then they unlock the others at 16 and 22 and they evolve into titan and garuda via summoner quests.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Outside of big flashy job changes, some more lowkey but arguably cooler things were revealed.

Adlo now triggers on the 'cast tick point' ie when slidecasting becomes available. This means that it will now be impossible to mistime Deployment Tactics

All physical combo actions will now stay active for 30 seconds, up from 12. This will make it MUCH easier to retain a combo during periods of uptime loss or untargetability.

Addle/Feint confirmed to be 10mag/5phys and 10phys/5 mag, respectively, giving each one more use in any encounter

embolden buffs physical and magic damage now

standard/technical step turns both single target and aoe buttons into dance steps, in case you have separate ST/AOE hotbars

• Options
    Media Tour: SMN
    Some of this stuff was already known, of course.
    • All DOT spells, traits, and associated skills (like Bane) are gone. Fester is now a skill with a set damage output.
    • Ruin II is now an upgrade to Ruin, and later upgrades to Ruin III. It no longer is an instant-cast weaving tool. All those forms of Ruin also have a reduced cast time, though, so you can weave off of any Ruin III.
    • All Egi-Assault skills and Carbuncle pet abilities from prior expansions are gone.
    • Outburst is still the standard AOE spell. It upgrades into Tri-Disaster at a high level, with a new animation. Yes, this does mean that Tri-Disaster has changed its function entirely, again. I'm kinda impressed by how faithful they want to be to Tri-Disaster, despite not ever including Valigarmanda in the game.
    • Energy Drain/Syhphon still grants stacks of Aetherflow to use with Fester and Painflare. But it also is now what gives a stack of Further Ruin, turning your Ruin spell into Ruin IV. Ruin IV is now stronger (due to being usable less often) and is AOE.
    • Demi-Summon behavior has been improved. They now stay in place, and attack on their own without waiting for your skills (though you do have to attack something first to mark a target). So there's no longer a worry of losing attacks because you needed to walk somewhere.
    • Dreadwyrm Trance is different. Instead of reducing the cast times of Outburst and Ruin III, it transforms Ruin III and Outburst into Astral Impulse and Astral Flare. It also grants Ruby, Topaz, and Emerald Arcanum. Astral Impulse and Astral Flare are high-powered, instant-casting single-target and AOE spells, respectively. Effectively, it combines the concepts of a magic boost and a speed boost by replacing your spells with high-powered, instant versions of themselves. At level 70, a trait replaces Dreadwyrm Trance with Summon Bahamut. The button will simultaneously enter Dreadwyrm Trance and summon your Demi-Bahamut. Think of it like how in Shadowbringers, you gained Firebird Trance several levels before learning to summon Demi-Phoenix.
    • Astral Flow is a spell with a different effect based on what phase you're in. Basically, it's a replacement for all the phase-specific high-power skills. In Dreadwyrm Trance, it becomes Deathflare. Deathflare no longer ends Dreadwyrm Trance upon use, but it has a recast time long enough that you can only use it once per trance anyway. Also, it's a spell now, so it's used on the global cooldown.
    • Firebird Trance is largely similar, but with some important changes. Hellish Conduit is no longer a thing; you do not need to alternate between Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory. The two spells are instead dedicated single-target and dedicated AOE-spells, like the spells they transform from. This means you are free to place your AOE and single-target rotations on separate parts of your hotbars now. It also gives you the 3 Arcanums when it ends.
    • In Firebird Trance, Astral Flow becomes Rekindle. Rekindle is best explained as "Diet Excogitation". It can be cast on yourself or an ally. It performs a heal (which runs off of Intelligence, thank goodness), and applies a buff that triggers a regen effect if the buff expires, or when the target drops below 50% HP.
    • Enkindle Bahamut and Enkindle Phoenix remain largely untouched. The cooldown is now 8 seconds, to help reliably fit 2 shots into a trance.
    • Carbuncle is still available at level 2. You also learn a new spell; Radiant Aegis, at the same level. It's basically your version of Manawall; creating a barrier totaling 20% of your HP, with 2 charges available. But you can only use it when Carbuncle, specifically, is out. Meaning no barriers when you're Phoenixing or Bahamuting. Searing Light is another Carbuncle spell, at level 66. It's basically Aetherpact/Devotion. The Carbuncle increases the damage dealt by you and nearby allies by 3% for 30 seconds, on a 120 second cooldown.
    • Aethercharge is a skill learned at level 6. It gives you a temporary buff to the damage of Ruin spells, and gives you Ruby, Topaz, and Emerald Arcanum (at levels 6, 15, and 22 respectively). When you learn Dreadwyrm Trance, it replaces Aethercharge; making this more of a baby pokemon version of DWT.
    • The Arcanums are the resources used to summon elemental summons. Early on, they have you summoning Ruby, Topaz, and Emerald Carbuncles. You summon the Carbuncle, and they perform Glittering Ruby/Topaz/Emerald.
    • New spells have been added for the elemental summon phase: Gemshine and Precious Brilliance. Like most other things, they're single-target and AOE spells, respectively. They can be used with the charges granted by the elemental summons. Ruby gives 2 charges, while the others give 4. For the Carbuncles, they're just attacks with no frills.
    • During the SMN story in ARR, you'll unlock upgrades to the Carbuncle summons, learning Summon Ifrit, Summon Titan, and Summon Garuda. Functionally, Gemshine and Precious Brilliance are the same; these are largely power buffs to the signature attacks and the animations in question.
    • At level 86, you learn Elemental Mastery as a trait. This allows you to gain Ifrit's/Titan's/Garuda's Favor during the Primal Summoning phase, which changes Astral Flow into new attacks. You gain a stack of Ifrit's or Garuda's favor simply by summoning them, whereas you gain a stack of Titan's Favor every time you use his version of Gemshine or Precious Brilliance. Ifrit's Crimson Cyclone is a rushing attack that deals high damage in an AOE where you hit, and transforms into Crimson Strike; a followup melee-range blast. Garuda's Slipstream is the only one with a cast time; it creates a whirlwind that deals damage over time near a target. Titan's Mountain Buster is an instant AOE ranged spell. Since you gain Titan's Favor with each spell, you can use Mountain Buster 4 times, I think.
    • At level 72, Ruin Mastery III transforms Gemshine into Ruby/Topaz/Emerald Rite. This changes the attack from a basic single-target spell into something more related to the summon. Ruby Rite is the SMN version of Fire IV; a high-power single-target spell with a cast time longer than the GCD. Emerald Rite is an instant-cast ranged spell with a lower damage and lower recast time. And Topaz Rite is a basic instant-cast spell with standard damage (but you gain a Titan's Favor every time you cast it, remember).
    • At level 82, Outburst Mastery II turns Precious Brilliance into Ruby/Topaz/Emerald Catastrophe, and similarly gives the spell Primal-appropriate effects. They each have basically the same effects as their single-target counterparts, and are used in similar situations.
    • The level 90 skill is a bit underwhelming; it's just a potency buff trait to the Primal Summons' main attacks, but it's kinda nice to have the interesting stuff at lower levels.

Given all of that, I think Summoner is looking very good. Its tools are established from an early level, without a need for clunky changes to the leveling progression via story. The biggest parts of the Primal summoning phases don't come until later levels, but you also don't have to wait overly long for them; level 72 for the distinct effects on Gemshine is still early Stormblood, after all. It's folded a lot of stuff I thought was clunky together, and properly separated AOE from single-target modes. And the Trances don't feel like second bananas to the Primal Summons, and instead a distinct and proper phase to the fight. I like what I'm seeing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Jesse Cox and itmejp's interview with Yoshi-P is up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V55zeSNiqD8

It looks like Yoshi had personal interviews with a number of content creators during the media tour period, and he had a pretty relaxed set of guidelines about what you could talk about - it didn't even necessarily have to be about 14, it could even be about other games/topics.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2021
    Bits of yoshiP interview info I've gleaned from twitter:
    -FFXIV currently has 24 million players total accounts ever created
    -it's also currently the most profitable Final Fantasy ever
    -they're planning to increase the game's budget and continue active development for another 10 years as a result

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    But will they fix it so I can do the free trial content without having to make a new account

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Doubt it!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Not as long as it's a Free Trial and not a "Play for Free"

Also, opening up the Free Trial as a FTP avenue opens up a ton of issues as people would fall back and fourth between the two. For example: How do you lock off content that's past the current Free Trial point? What if a player is past the msq cutoff but has jobs below 60? What does that look like? How is that handled and adjudicated by the backend game/account management? What if they have no jobs below 60 anymore? Are they even allowed to log-in on that character?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Doubt it!

Shit!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Not as long as it's a Free Trial and not a "Play for Free"

Also, opening up the Free Trial as a FTP avenue opens up a ton of issues as people would fall back and fourth between the two. For example: How do you lock off content that's past the current Free Trial point? What if a player is past the msq cutoff but has jobs below 60? What does that look like? How is that handled and adjudicated by the backend game/account management? What if they have no jobs below 60 anymore? Are they even allowed to log-in on that character?

I agree that they're not going to do this but fwiw a lot of this already happens if you own the game on multiple platforms and flip back and forth between the two. You just can't do stuff. I used playstation free trial to fish for a while to make sure I liked doing it before I bought the game on console as well for when i'm not at my desk

• Options
    So, theorycrafting my Cross hotbars for New SMN:
    Using Xbox controller

R2:
    • A: Ruin III
    • B: Ruin IV
    • Y: Astral Flow
    • X: Gemshine
    • Down: Enkindle Bahamut/Phoenix
    • Right: Swiftcast
    • Up: Fester
    • Left: Energy Drain

R2 is my most commonly used trigger, so I like to put my standard stuff here. This setup lets me do all my main attacks in every phase. Ruin III for standard and Trance, Gemshine for Primals. I'm putting Astral Flow on a face button, because it's not consistently cast time or instacast. Anything that's an instacast GCD, I like to have on a face button for movement.

The D-Pad is mostly things that I use infrequently, or to trigger a buff. So I've got the Enkindle attcks, plus my Energy Drain stuff. Swiftcast is now given a prime-time slot, because of Ifrit and his Fire IV-type spell on Gemshine.

L2 (or R2+L2; haven't decided)
    • A: Summon Titan
    • B: Summon Ifrit
    • X: Summon Garuda
    • Y: Summon Bahamut
    • Down: Radiant Aegis
    • Right: Searing Light
    • Up: INT potion
    • Left: Lucid Dreaming

So, as it happens, all 4 of the summons are treated as Spells instead of Abilities, now. As in, they're on the global cooldown. So I'm putting them on face buttons. Since I only tap them once per phase, I'm keeping them away from my actual DPS spells, and instead grouping them with various buffs

R2+L2 (Or L2):
    • A: Tri Disaster
    • B: Ruin IV
    • Y: Astral Flow
    • X: Precious Brilliance
    • Down: Enkindle Bahamut/Phoenix
    • Up: Painflare
    • Left: Energy Syphon

Hey, look at that! It's an identical copy of my single-target rotation, but with the relevant AOE spells in place of the single-target ones! And I can fit them all together! What a concept!

Anyway, my only question mark here is if I want it on L2, or R2+L2. The former would make it easier to access, and not require me to hold 2 shoulder triggers for the entirity of an AOE fight. But the latter would let me easily access my buffs in a fight without any AOE.

L2+R2
    • A: Sprint
    • B: Surecast
    • Y: Addle
    • X:
    • Down:
    • Up: Resurrect
    • Left: Limit Break

This is my standard general-use trigger. I've gotten very used to L2+R2 A being Sprint. Also have my knockback prevention, Limit Break, and Raise option. You'll notice that Physick isn't here.

I think that sounds like a good setup for my personal preferences. Good to have that in mind before the expansion drops.

• Options
    Someone, YoshiP? fondly compared Alphinaud to a know-it-all teen redditor in ARR who grew out of it in HW

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You know I get the feeling I'm supposed to know who this Nero guy is that just showed up in a cutscene to be cryptic by himself in a wasteland, but it's been so long I'm drawing a blank.

I'm sure I'll find out soon enough anyway because he seems like a goober and Hydaelyn knows the WoL draws those in like a magnet.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    You know I get the feeling I'm supposed to know who this Nero guy is that just showed up in a cutscene to be cryptic by himself in a wasteland, but it's been so long I'm drawing a blank.

I'm sure I'll find out soon enough anyway because he seems like a goober and Hydaelyn knows the WoL draws those in like a magnet.

Nero is one of the 4 dudes in armour from ARR, working for Gaius

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He's specifically the one that yelled at Cid a lot.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    He's the guy with the big hammer that Warriors wish they could get

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

He's the one with the hammer (That SE still hasn't turned into a WAR glamour item, come on alreadyyyyy!)

aka the one with massive amounts of UST towards Cid.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    More SMN stuff, lol:
    You still get a progression of summoned things for your old Carbuncle flavors. But it's now all based on upgrades through leveling.

Before you become an actual Summoner, you summon the three-colored Carbuncles for your elemental summoning phase.

When you first become a Summoner, your elemental phase summons the little Egis we currently have. They all just rush or shoot the enemy upon summon.

And then in Endwalker leveling cycle, those upgrade to the full-bodied Primals, as you unlock the power boost. Those do the big moves from the boss fights.

So, they managed to keep in all the models SMN currently has, on top of the new big ones.

I sadly think this means we won't be able to glamour our tiny carbuncle friend, then? Would be a shame, as I like the red color one.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Red armor, has a giant hammer and lots of dialog in Praetorium. His motivation is that he has serious issues with Cid, and specifically he's constantly trying to prove he's a better engineer, because Cid got all the praise and Nero didn't (Nero blames it all on Cid having pedigree and connections and such). Cid, of course, never really cared about that and respects Nero's (considerable) talent.

The game gets a lot of mileage out of their rivalry, especially for comic effect.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

admanb wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

He's the one with the hammer (That SE still hasn't turned into a WAR glamour item, come on alreadyyyyy!)

Yeah but I mean it's been...geez how many years since I last played. I pretty much blitzed all of ARR just before HW, did the HW MSQ to completion, then stuck around less than a month after because whoops story's done. So when I'm picking up from there at this point I am this

https://youtu.be/6SCBW4xS54k

• Options
    edited October 2021

admanb wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah but I mean it's been...geez how many years since I last played. I pretty much blitzed all of ARR just before HW, did the HW MSQ to completion, then stuck around less than a month after because whoops story's done. So when I'm picking up from there at this point I am this

That'll happen quite a bit. The writers are really good at bringing old characters back into the story. I blitzed the entire story up to 5.0 when I started and still had some "who?" moments. Don't be afraid to ask here about someone you don't remember if you don't want to hit up a wiki for fear of spoilers.

admanb on
  • Options
    Will do! Though this game is pretty good at providing context when it does bring someone back so I do appreciate that

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nero has come up in at least side content in every expansion I think? HW is the only one I'm unsure of.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Nero has come up in at least side content in every expansion I think? HW is the only one I'm unsure of.

I don't think he showed up in HW, no. IIRC (Stormblood side content)
    When he shows up in the Omega raid, the latest thing Cid can talk about in reaction to him is the events of the Crystal Tower raids.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I swear he's in post HW content for the
    stuff with Omega and the big Ala Mighan dragon primal guy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

That's true, yeah.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I don’t care if it’s not as deep as the DRK quest, the first Stormblood WAR quest was great. A nice callback, and I’m a sucker for comedic shenanigans.

• Options
    Septus wrote: »

...ah!
    Yeah, I misremembered. The end of HW story introduces Omega, and Nero's the one to bring it up and convince you to activate Omega to beat the new Dreadwyrm. And that's when Cid will say "OK, just because you did one good thing in the Crystal Tower doesn't mean I trust you as far as I can throw you."

• Options
    I'm assuming I shouldn't look in those spoilers. Anyway, watched Zepla's videos on Sage and Reaper. Sage looks...very complicated. It's got healing, it's got some damage, it's got shields, it's got healing and damage that need the shield to be broken, and everything's in Greek. Reaper meanwhile I'm watching and getting an odd feeling as she describes the core rotation of building meter for a buff, using the buff for positionals to maintain the buff, and then my brain snaps back into focus and I realize Reaper is just Dragoon with a different coat of paint. So that's kind of disappointing, but new Summoner is definitely far more of my jam than it used to be so I'll dive into that eventually.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    MTQcapture has uploaded a preview of the Endwalker battle, dungeon boss, and dungeon end boss music. And they are absolutely peak Soken.

(content warning: Discord pings bleeding into some of the music, don't be confused by Ascian trickery)

• Options
    i've been powering a character on another datacenter to play with some friends and i completely forgot about the Cid Amnesia plot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i've been powering a character on another datacenter to play with some friends and i completely forgot about the Cid Amnesia plot

To be fair, Cid forgot too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I'm really excited for the PLD changes.

Having Spirits Within and it's new form's damage not be reliant on your HP as well as basically everything going on with the magic damage phase of the rotation. Req changing to charges that last longer so you don't need to worry about ping or mechanics causing you to lose a holy spirit cast is really nice QoL. Holy Shelltron and both ST and AoE magic attacks having a self heal fixes one of the weak parts of PLD's kit. The Confiteor combo is just real flashy and fits nicely into the rotation since it just replaces your next goring blade combo. And all without adding more keybinds to a job that already has a bunch of buttons.

PLD was my main job in 2.0 so it feels right that I go back to it for the end of this story arc.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

Yeah, I leveled another character so a friend of mine wouldn't have to go through ARR alone and that plot caught me off guard.

Unfortunately my friend lost interest during the post-ARR stuff and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get him back into it.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
This discussion has been closed.