As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    gonna be honest weed doesn't seem like tataru's choice of vice

she strikes me as more the hard drinkin' type

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    idk did you see the tweet

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    gonna be honest weed doesn't seem like tataru's choice of vice

she strikes me as more the hard drinkin' type

I think she'd be more into gambling. I can see her being a apex card shark.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    huh. wonder if they are going to make new characters, if I was a streamer I wouldn't be able to deal with the privacy intrusion of streaming an mmo

• Options
    that would probably be for the best, but starting over in an mmo that you've already invested a lot of time in is a real bummer

I guess we'll see!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Oh no, this is when everyone finds out I'm actually a vtuber idol.

• Options
    I didn't know much of en played ff14 though, only ina and it looks like irys? like half of nijisanji en does

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I can't imagine how full time streamers find time to play MMORPGs offstream

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the same way anyone else with a job does, I assume

• Options
    I suppose, I get the sense streaming as a job is kind of an unforgiving hell of constant work but I guess everybody needs some me-time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    that would probably be for the best, but starting over in an mmo that you've already invested a lot of time in is a real bummer

I guess we'll see!

FF14 more than most MMOs, since nothing is account-wide and the systems kind of give you a lot of reasons NOT to make an alt, unless its for aesthetic reasons.
    I suppose, I get the sense streaming as a job is kind of an unforgiving hell of constant work but I guess everybody needs some me-time

Specifically referring to streaming, having corporate backing of hololive probably helps with that actually, what with not really having to manage, market, etc by yourself. Some of the members who are into other stuff though (like Suisei who seems to want to lean more into the music part) probably have less free time juggling multiple projects.

I'd liken it a lot to artists who are currently huge and famous, and those that are still working towards becoming bigger. Both have to work hard, but the latter has less of a support structure to help them.

Javen on
  • Options
    so promise is the first savage raid tier I have even attempted as current content since gordidas. which, I'm sure people remember the gordidas fiasco quite well if they were playing back then. and I think the existence of discord has a lot more to do with it than anything FF14 did. Echo helps of course, my days of putting up pink parses are long gone

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imo the venn diagram of "people playing ff14" and "people who like vtubers" is already very tight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    imo the venn diagram of "people playing ff14" and "people who like vtubers" is already very tight

I also feel like people don’t understand how big Asmongold, and by extension the WoW community (which includes ex-WoW players that still watch a ton of streamers) is. It’s not comparable.

There’s a reason when Yoshi-P was asked about XIV maybe overtaking WoW’s subscriber count he had to note that what WoW did in its peak was still so far beyond any current MMO it’s unimaginable.

• Options
    it's not that I think we're in for another massive influx, but I definitely expect an influx of some kind, and the servers are already on fire with endwalker a little over a month away

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I also feel like people don’t understand how big Asmongold, and by extension the WoW community (which includes ex-WoW players that still watch a ton of streamers) is. It’s not comparable.

There’s a reason when Yoshi-P was asked about XIV maybe overtaking WoW’s subscriber count he had to note that what WoW did in its peak was still so far beyond any current MMO it’s unimaginable.

Yeah, 12 million was the high water mark for WoW, and that was like ten years ago. 14 has nowhere near the infrastructure to take on that many active accounts.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Yeah, 12 million was the high water mark for WoW, and that was like ten years ago. 14 has nowhere near the infrastructure to take on that many active accounts.

At this point I doubt WoW does either.

• Options
    I know this is impossible to prove since neither game really shows active sub numbers anymore, but I'd still be very surprised if FF14 even approached half of what WoW's active playerbase is, currently.

• Options
    supposedly ff14 has surpassed wow retail, but not wow retail+classic

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    supposedly ff14 has surpassed wow retail, but not wow retail+classic

Yeah, but that's partly Blizzard shooting themselves in both feet isn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The numbers themselves should also be taken with a grain of salt, considering that sites like wowpopulation gauge player metrics on stuff like a minimum level requirement to be counted, and 'is in a guild with at least one player that's cleared heroic nyalotha'. They don't just look at the number of active characters, while whoever gauges the ff14 population looks at literally everyone, including people on the free trial.

Javen on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The FFXIV population surveys also use minimum level requirements etc., along other ways to check for active characters.

e.g. FXIVCensus:
    Any reference to "Active" characters, refers to characters that have claimed the following item:
    The minion for completing the Shadowbringers Main Scenario Quest from the Patch 5.0 story

And LuckyBancho's surveys (from the April 2021 survey):
    CENSUS POPULATION
    Only those characters who satisfy at least one of the following criteria in a Lodestone player search are considered:
    1. The character's level is at least 60; or
    2. the character is a member of a Free Company.
    Among these characters, a character is considered active if it satisfies the following criteria:
    1. The character is affiliated with a Grand Company.
    2. The character's maximum level is 60 or above (excluding level 60 with zero EXP), with the following exclusions:
      1. the character's maximum level is 60 and its main weapon's iLevel is 260; or
      2. The character's maximum level is 70 and its main weapon's iLevel is 390.
    3. Since the last census on 7 February 2021:
      1. the character has been newly created; or
      2. the character's level has changed; or
      3. the character's EXP has changed; or
      4. the number of minions the character owns has changed; or
      5. the number of mounts the character owns has changed.
    4. The character owns at least one mount.

Criteria 2.a and 2.b are intended to exclude characters that have been created using boost potions.
    (The issue all the surveys have is that you really don't want to count bots in the playercount, hence min level reqs.)

Also, of course, this only counts characters and not players, but that's information that only Square Enix has access to.

• Options
    by now wow retail has lost like 90% of its wotlk playerbase. so even if ff14 has more it's a low bar compared to what has been in the past

it reminds me of like 6-7 years ago when wow had lost about half its playerbase and people were just like "yeah but it's still got a lot of people playing!". guess they should have listened to the canary

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »

wasn't it 30+ million at the height including players in china?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    by now wow retail has lost like 90% of its wotlk playerbase. so even if ff14 has more it's a low bar compared to what has been in the past

it reminds me of like 6-7 years ago when wow had lost about half its playerbase and people were just like "yeah but it's still got a lot of people playing!". guess they should have listened to the canary

I actually doubt that there are fewer people playing now than there were in Warlords of Draenor, which was around the 5-6 million range. That's basically a lost time that everyone hated and had the least amount of content actually drop out of any other expansion, and it's not close.

Legion supposedly rocketed them back up to over 10 mil for a lot, and I doubt that the attrition over 3 years is literally 80-90% of their subscriber base.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    spicy take: people focus too much on How Many People when it's not very important

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    spicy take: people focus too much on How Many People when it's not very important

and it's only becoming more pointless as other games have started eclipsing the entire mmrpg genre

• Options
    it's happened pretty much during shadowlands. release was huge, then the active players dropped from 8 million to a little over 1.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    it's happened pretty much during shadowlands. release was huge, then the active players dropped from 8 million to a little over 1.

According to who?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

According to who?

https://mmo-population.com/r/wow

given that the metrics use to measure them are the same, I would expect the general trend of numbers to be accurate even if the numbers themselves aren't exact

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    It's relevant insofar as it's good to know your game of choice is doing well enough to receive support and to know that there are enough players to keep certain features of the game fun to interact with.

It doesn't really interest me to learn about it in detail, though.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I finished the 5.2 MSQ! And then I did what any reasonable person would do, which is instantly blow off the rest and go check out what the deal with Bozja is.

I joined a 40-person Critical Engagement before I even finished the tutorials. Despite having absolutely no idea what I'm doing, I somehow totally aced it and got offered a duel (which I didn't take).

Then everyone fucked off to some other part of the map that I couldn't reach, so I soloed a couple of skirmishes until another Critical Engagement popped. Literally two other people showed up (we didn't make it).

After that, I didn't see or hear a soul. I tried soloing a skirmish in the second area and got one-shotted from full health by a stack marker.

So do Bozja instances, like...get stale? Do you have to leave and rejoin after a little while? I'm still figuring out how this stuff works.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    instances get locked so new people can't join. you have to quit out and join a new one

• Options
    they do occasionally get stale and the instance queue decides to stop putting new players into it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    There is also instanced content that you haven't unlocked yet. If that pops, a good chunk of the Bozjan Front may go into it and the CEs are rough for awhile.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

According to who?

my uncle

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

According to who?

my uncle

why would nintendo keep stats about wow

This discussion has been closed.