As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Congress] Is A Thing

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I would think once you’re a convicted sex trafficker, even the modern GOP would ask you to go check the drive train on the nearest Greyhound, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they hit a new low and still claim him as their own the rest of the way. Might as well pretend the stink is Chanel No. 5 while you’re drenched in it.

After Roy Moore, I doubt they'd want to run the risk. Even in FL-01. Which, I'd prefer principled opposition to pedophilia being the cause of his removal but will settle for political polling.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I would think once you’re a convicted sex trafficker, even the modern GOP would ask you to go check the drive train on the nearest Greyhound, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they hit a new low and still claim him as their own the rest of the way. Might as well pretend the stink is Chanel No. 5 while you’re drenched in it.

After Roy Moore, I doubt they'd want to run the risk. Even in FL-01. Which, I'd prefer principled opposition to pedophilia being the cause of his removal but will settle for political polling.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do circle the wagons around Gaetz and I think it will depend 100% on what Trump wants. Gaetz is a hardcore DJT bootlicker but no one is ever safe from being thrown under his bus.

Also, Moore would have won in a general election year with normal GOP turnout.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Butters wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if they do circle the wagons around Gaetz and I think it will depend 100% on what Trump wants. Gaetz is a hardcore DJT bootlicker but no one is ever safe from being thrown under his bus.

Also, Moore would have won in a general election year with normal GOP turnout.

And don't underestimate how much things have changed with what Republicans (both sitting members, and the voting electorate) as to what they'll accept, in the past 4 years, with another one to go. And he won the last go-around by near 40pts 30pts.
    EDIT- Correction, read the wrong election.

I think that's part of the reason he's been so gung-ho with regard to being Trump's standard bearer (also it gives him money and influence). If Trump thinks Gaetz is a liability, and turns on him, he's fucked. If he doesn't, he's not getting expelled.

MorganV on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've got a bad feeling Gaetz wouldn't get expelled no matter what. There won't be enough Republicans willing to do it. It's too easy and familiar in Trump-land to cry fake news and conspiracy. Even if he's convicted they'll just claim he was cheated and deep state radical libs set it all up, just like the election lies. Unless he's physically in prison and not allowed to remote vote I don't see it.

It's insane and unprecedented, but that seems normal for Republicans these days.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd love to see the filibuster go, but what Manchin is willing to go for is still an improvement. First, the fucking clowns can't just shut down a bill by saying "I filibuster" and then the bill is shelved, while moving on to what ever isn't being filibustered. It means they have to put in some fucking work, even if that work is just having stand their and talk for a really fucking long time. Next, it's Senators present, so if the GOP wants to pull their white supremacist minority rule over the chamber bullshit, they'll have to have enough members present to equal 40% of all Senator counted as present. That means no vacation or going to their fancy high dollar donor dinners, if they really don't want something to pass.

I'm willing to be that does remove some of the log jam on some legislation. Two things we need to keep in mind with the modern GOP. They are fucking entitled pigs that want to rule, but don't want to do the work required to govern and the current filibuster has been a very useful tool to that end. They are also cowards, not in that they are afraid to stand up to shitty people. No, they are the shitty people that endorse anti-Semitism, racism, sexism and fascism. They are cowards because they don't want to face the consequences of being open about what they believe in because they know there will be enough backlash to fuck them out of power in many places. Again, the filibuster in it's current form has been handy because they can push their policy goals without having to state the why behind those aims. Hell, a good chunk of them are clueless fucking idiots that don't know when to shut the fuck up, so having to talk for long periods to hold up something might result in some of these fuckers saying the quiet parts out loud by accident and getting reamed when they run for re-election. I'll remind people that George Allen of Virginia lost to Jim Webb because Allen made a very racist comment that alienated Indian American demographic and while there aren't many people from India or Indian decent in the state, it was enough to cause Allen to barely lose the race.

I suspect McConnell is scared shitless because he knows half his caucus will fuck things up for the the party if they have to do talking filibusters and that people aren't going to be too keen on filibustering if their asses have to state in the Capital building to maintain a filibuster. The current GOP strategy to maintaining power has largely relied on having the courts do the dirty work, while GOP congress critters don't have to put their asses on the line, but GOP senators ensure that democrats can't get anything out of the Senate. You get a setup where they can't grind everything to a halt without looking really bad and you get a scenario where democrats either get to pass shit to run on or they get to play clips of republicans being very open on how fucking vile they are. Sure it won't fuck them in every race, but we're a democracy, so it only has to fuck them in enough races to prevent them form having a majority.

As for Gaetz, really depends on how willing Trump is to back him. Him getting convicted is going to make people antsy and if the evidence is really damning, maybe Trump decides Gaetz isn't worth the bad press. I guess really depends on whether the GOP will feel they have expend political capital to save Gaetz or not. I feel like if Gaetz gets convicted before the midterms and it's within a certain time period, his ass might be cooked because defending the convicted pedophile or having your whole party do so, right before an election might not be a good look and could make the environment less friendly for republicans. Doubly so if SCOTUS torches Roe V Wade and the right incurs significant public backlash for it. Even more so, if filibuster reform lets democrats get some shit done that people really like or/and results in the GOP tripping over their own bullshit.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly if they manage to make the filibuster more reasonable, that might be the biggest legislative win since the ACA. That said, I trust Manchin less than I can throw him, and I'm an overweight short nerd who's almost 40.

I believe this when I see it.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Sinema is planning on dunking on Biden and coming out against filibuster changes

Politico reporter

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Well, I thank Sinema for ending needless days of false hope early and reminding everyone not to care about anything.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Got to rotate that villain.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Sinema felt bad that Manchin was getting attention, so she had to oppose something.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Guess the check cleared

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Well now she can show up on the Senate floor wearing a dress made of doughnuts or some shit.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Sinema felt bad that Manchin was getting attention, so she had to oppose something.

Yeah, that tweet doesn't make it sound like she's making a principled stand or anything (obligatory LOL), just looking to get her name in the news again.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Being serious here, can you build out what that means to you?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    You know I get why Manchin does what he does, but I have no idea what the fuck is up with Sinema.

Does she think all the Republicans in Arizona are going to be so impressed with her they just won’t run anyone against her?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You know I get why Manchin does what he does, but I have no idea what the fuck is up with Sinema.

Does she think all the Republicans in Arizona are going to be so impressed with her they just won’t run anyone against her?
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yeah, that tweet doesn't make it sound like she's making a principled stand or anything (obligatory LOL), just looking to get her name in the news again.

• Options
    The most obvious answer is that she's being bribed. She probably knows she's a one-termer, so she's cashing out.

That said, she might also just be a total fucking moron and primma donna.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    There's an Onion article about this, of course. It's so very spot on. It's easy enough to find.

So. Now we hope that some of these principled republicans that supposedly exist show up, eh?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    There's an Onion article about this, of course. It's so very spot on. It's easy enough to find.

So. Now we hope that some of these principled republicans that supposedly exist show up, eh?

They're all pouty because Biden used mean words to describe te mob that wanted to kill them.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Doodmann wrote: »

Being serious here, can you build out what that means to you?

It's a cynical theory that the dem senators have drank enough conservative cool aide that they don't actually want to legislate anymore either, but need to be able to blame someone for this lockup either the republicans or some sacrificial conservative senator.

It looks like Manchin was sick of taking shit for not getting anything done so one of the other corporatist dems rotated in to be the intransigent shit stain that keeps legislation from happening.

Feinstein or Tester would probably be the next to rotate in if they needed to but Sinema doesn't seem to care so it probably wont be necessary.

Basically this: https://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/democrats_34/

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

They're all pouty because Biden used mean words to describe te mob that wanted to kill them.

Also collecting themselves from off the fainting couches after Biden had the nerve to point out that it’s pretty shitty to try and make it almost impossible for anyone with a skin tone darker than Rick Astley to actually vote

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The good.

"BREAKING: The House just passed the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act to prevent racial discrimination in voting and protect our democracy. We call on the Senate to pass this urgent civil rights legislation as soon as possible – our democracy can’t wait."
    - The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a civil rights group.

The bad.
    EDIT- You know what, I'm gonna spoiler this, because just seeing her (or Manchin) is distressing nowadays.
    "BREAKING: Sen. Kyrsten Sinema praises proposed voting rights bills but reiterates support for filibuster rule, saying "I will not support separate actions that worsen the underlying disease of division infecting our country."
    - ABC News is a news organization.

"Here's this thing I like! But because the people who hate it aren't on board, I'm gonna say no."

FUCK. OFF.

MorganV on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The most obvious answer is that she's being bribed. She probably knows she's a one-termer, so she's cashing out.

She's a one-termer because of this behavior which is why it's so confusing. Arizona isn't a deep red state like West Virginia.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I hope whoever wrote that speech for her can sleep with themselves tonight

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

She's the world's shittiest theater kid given real, tangible power and it's extremely important to her that everyone knows she has it

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well they aren't going to change the filibuster they're just going to use the back and forth text difference in a bill loophole to move it back and forth between the Senate and the House 3 times so it *can't* be filibustered and will have to be brought to the floor for debate and a vote.

I'd say she's mad she won't be able to hide behind a filibuster anymore, but that would imply that she even gives enough of a shit to be mad.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Well, they sure won't be sleeping with anyone else. ba-dum-tsch!
    I'll see myself out now...

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

She's a one-termer because of this behavior which is why it's so confusing. Nevada isn't a deep red state like West Virginia.

Arizona. It's fairly red, but even so this isn't going to help her.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

She's a one-termer because of this behavior which is why it's so confusing. Nevada isn't a deep red state like West Virginia.

Arizona. It's fairly red, but even so this isn't going to help her.

It's pink/purple. Biden won it and it has two Dem Senators now. I feel like if she just toed the party line enough for an average approval rating she'd be fine.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    The good.

"BREAKING: The House just passed the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act to prevent racial discrimination in voting and protect our democracy. We call on the Senate to pass this urgent civil rights legislation as soon as possible – our democracy can’t wait."
    - The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a civil rights group.

The bad.
    EDIT- You know what, I'm gonna spoiler this, because just seeing her (or Manchin) is distressing nowadays.
    "BREAKING: Sen. Kyrsten Sinema praises proposed voting rights bills but reiterates support for filibuster rule, saying "I will not support separate actions that worsen the underlying disease of division infecting our country."
    - ABC News is a news organization.

"Here's this thing I like! But because the people who hate it aren't on board, I'm gonna say no."

FUCK. OFF.

Cool, so when's she naming names about which GOP senators she's trying to change the minds of towards approving the bill?

Like, you want to work the process, tell us why and how you're working in it to get the job done, don't just throw your hands up and go "Welp, I'm all for voting to save puppies and orphans, but because my opponents refuse to vote for the Save Puppies and Orphans Act, the blood shall continue to flow in the streets"

Gimme a fucking break with this breathless coverage of jack shit.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sinema is from AZ, not Nevada

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Is there a reason Dems don’t just bat everything back and forth and actually pass legislation on a regular basis? I’m not trying to be shitty, I’m legitimately asking if this trick could be used more frequently.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Is there a reason Dems don’t just bat everything back and forth and actually pass legislation on a regular basis? I’m not trying to be shitty, I’m legitimately asking if this trick could be used more frequently.

There is not trick that gets around the filibuster. Other then reconciliation anyway.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sinema didn’t win because she convinced a bunch of Republican-leaning voters she was the light. She won because she had progressive activists knocking on doors for her and getting the base out. She is blatantly and egregiously betraying the people who put her in office.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

There is not trick that gets around the filibuster. Other then reconciliation anyway.

This gets around the filibuster, but it still means that you need Manchin and Sinema regardless.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    shryke wrote: »

This trick they are using to pass voting rights absolutely gets around the filibuster? Unless you mean that they have to pass a carveout for it during this process.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

The most charitable read on why they don't go this route is that they don't have the votes on their own side of the fence to do this.