As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movie] Thread - Best Bond Villain Edition

12930313335

Posts

  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Auric Goldfinger - doesn't expect you to talk
    This Ridley Scott slander is almost as bad as back when everyone was saying Martin Scorsese only makes movies about mobsters and hasn't done anything for cinema. Like holy shit guys, Ridley Scott releases like 8 movies a year that are more interesting than most of the stuff in theaters. That's really the guy you want to attack?

    Next Noirvember entry:

    JC7gYcv.jpg
    The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947), dir. Peter Godfrey

    6ybfCLh.jpg
    Barbara Stanwyck breaks it off with newfound love Humphrey Bogart when she finds out he's married. Months later luckily his wife has died, because he has poisoned her, and so they get together, making a happy family with Ann Carter, Bogart's daughter. Bogart is an artist and they move to Stanwyck's place in England where they end up involved with Alexis Smith who is friends with Stanwyck's friend.

    cgnOS1G.jpg
    It's all kind of whatever. If Bogart hadn't been revealed as a poisoner about 10 minutes in, maybe it would've been an effective mystery. Instead we're basically just waiting to see if he decides to poison Stanwyck or what. Carter is pretty good as a very mature for her age child but there's nothing much interesting there going on with that. Smith is a good sort of femme fatale but she's not in the movie very much.

    CbEGQop.jpg
    Edith Head handled Stanwyck's gowns and they look nice enough. Bogart is pretty good at the end when things get kind of hectic but his whole "crazy artist" thing is just not very interesting, nor are anyone else's characters very interesting. It never really looks gorgeous. But, Stanwyck is no slouch when it comes to "lady whose husband is a murderer" so it's not like it's horrific. 68/100

    TexiKenRingoPailryderFANTOMAS
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld - the Donald Pleasance one
    This Ridley Scott slander is almost as bad as back when everyone was saying Martin Scorsese only makes movies about mobsters and hasn't done anything for cinema. Like holy shit guys, Ridley Scott releases like 8 movies a year that are more interesting than most of the stuff in theaters. That's really the guy you want to attack?
    How does Ridley making a lot of movies, some great, excuse stupid bullshit like this?
    "I think what it boils down to — what we've got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you're told it on a cellphone," Scott said.

    "This is a broad stroke, but I think we're dealing with it right now with Facebook," Scott added. "This is a misdirection that has happened where it's given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think."
    According to him the reason his movie flopped is because people over 20 don't watch anything not on their phones. Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?

    XBL: That Stone Dude
    physi_marcknitdanPreacherRingoGnome-Interruptus
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    This Ridley Scott slander is almost as bad as back when everyone was saying Martin Scorsese only makes movies about mobsters and hasn't done anything for cinema. Like holy shit guys, Ridley Scott releases like 8 movies a year that are more interesting than most of the stuff in theaters. That's really the guy you want to attack?
    How does Ridley making a lot of movies, some great, excuse stupid bullshit like this?
    "I think what it boils down to — what we've got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you're told it on a cellphone," Scott said.

    "This is a broad stroke, but I think we're dealing with it right now with Facebook," Scott added. "This is a misdirection that has happened where it's given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think."
    According to him the reason his movie flopped is because people over 20 don't watch anything not on their phones. Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?

    *meanwhile Dune made like $400 million*

    ElvenshaeBloodySlothFencingsaxknitdanGiantGeek2020OrcaDoodmannBlackDragon480KruiteHappylilElfGnome-InterruptusDisco11brynhrtmnPeewiTynnan
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Le Chiffre - just pop your clothes over there and take a seat, please
    It sounds like the same thing David Lynch said when he was pissed off about Twin Peaks or something or other.

    That said, he seems like he's mad at entirely the wrong target audience, because that seems like a movie more catered towards baby boomers.

    ePITGr0.png
    Dark Raven XElvenshaeAtomikaOrcaGnome-Interruptus
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    Also The Green Knight, another medieval romp, did double the domestic business of The Last Duel despite being far more inaccessible and difficult to market.

    Sir Ridley can go muffle his gob with some avocado toast, he’s talking out his ass

    ElvenshaejoshgotroBloodySlothFencingsaxOrcatzeentchlingDoodmannCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusMegaMan001Disco11kimeAbsoluteZerobrynhrtmnN1tSt4lkerTynnancj iwakura
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld - the Donald Pleasance one
    Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?

    There's a lot of daylight between responding scornfully to a dumb, scorn-worthy thing someone said versus claiming - in the most perfunctory, pro forma, paint-by-numbers way possible - their entire career is worthless.

    rRwz9.gif
    shrykeTexiKenFencingsaxel_vicioNobeardCommander ZoomKanaElvenshaeFANTOMASN1tSt4lkerTynnan
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?

    There's a lot of daylight between responding scornfully to a dumb, scorn-worthy thing someone said versus claiming - in the most perfunctory, pro forma, paint-by-numbers way possible - their entire career is worthless.

    Yeah. You can just roll your eyes at dumb statements and move on. They don't require attacking the actual person as being worthless and always having been worthless and dumb and wrong about everything. And that impulse there sure feels like a habit people picked up on social media.

    JacobkoshThirithTexiKenFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Local H JaySchadenfreudeBlackDragon480NobeardCommander ZoomKanakimeElvenshaeN1tSt4lker
  • TexiKenTexiKen super highways Registered User regular
    Hairy Porter and an Order of Phoenix Tendies is kind of weak given how much it tries to advance the story and how it just doesn't do anything new with plot points. This is serious resting on your laurels and also one of the movies where it feels like a lot of stuff didn't come over from the books, or the books were being lazy as hell too. Real talk, I'm pulling up a chair and sitting backwards in it, is there any real rules to the magic in this universe or is it pretty much plot specific? Because it seems like if there's a super deadly curse that can be used with pretty much no cast time and boom "ur mom gay," there should be an always taught "no u" defense spell. Or at least do push ups, yo and learn to fight. This is why you always balance your party with a warrior, mage, and an archer or rogue or something. Can't cast a spell when you break the enemy's jaw, feel me fam?

    Sirius Black is completely wasted in the series and yet we're supposed to care about him, but it feels like even the movie doesn't buy that we should care. The magic government trying to pretend Voldo isn't back with his freaky contortions and edward scissor hands is standard, as is Aunt Lucy taking over the school and people being weak sauced plot power mad at Harry about lying about Voldemort returning. Even for a kids book these are all just repetitive stories, the only real "twist" is Snapes' brief past at the school which at least felt like Rowling realizing idolization needs to be tampered a bit. We get the necessary training montage for loser magicians but somehow Harry is the trainer? The fuck? I've been watching the movies, I'm now an expert, graphic design is my passion, but nothing has shown Harry to actually know what the fuck he's doing. This point isn't even hit in the movie, why couldn't you get Moody to train them does that make too much sense?

    With the acting, the main kids are fine and thankfully haircuts were provided, Luna Lovegood is easily now best student, Neville heard my words and is trying to find his inner TexiKen, am literally shook that Helena Bonham Carter was in this movie and it wasn't directed by Tim Burton, and Imelda Staunton never felt like the Karen she was trying to be shown as because the character is just so one-note there's nothing to grab onto, much like how Emma Thompson's crystal ball hippy is good for a scene and that's it.

    Out of the five movies, I'd probably rate this 4th so far. The potential is clearly there, but either the books are skipping a lot of stuff or things are being dropped too much in the editing room.

    FencingsaxGnome-InterruptusElvenshaebrynhrtmn
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 23
    Auric Goldfinger - doesn't expect you to talk
    This Ridley Scott slander is almost as bad as back when everyone was saying Martin Scorsese only makes movies about mobsters and hasn't done anything for cinema. Like holy shit guys, Ridley Scott releases like 8 movies a year that are more interesting than most of the stuff in theaters. That's really the guy you want to attack?
    How does Ridley making a lot of movies, some great, excuse stupid bullshit like this?
    "I think what it boils down to — what we've got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you're told it on a cellphone," Scott said.

    "This is a broad stroke, but I think we're dealing with it right now with Facebook," Scott added. "This is a misdirection that has happened where it's given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think."
    According to him the reason his movie flopped is because people over 20 don't watch anything not on their phones. Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?
    He's 83, of course he's saying dumb shit about the kids these days. Old people are like that. Obviously I'm not defending those comments. I'm defending him from people saying ridiculous stuff like "maybe he didn't contribute anything to all those fantastic movies he made" or "he only made a few good movies and he's been shit for decades." That's... not how I'd characterize one of my favorite living directors.

    TychoCelchuuu on
    TexiKenshrykeJacobkoshLocal H JayNobeardKana
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    shrykeJacobkoshAtomikaTexiKenSchadenfreudeBlackDragon480el_vicioGnome-InterruptusLordSolarMachariusElvenshae
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I saw Venom 2 last night.

    There are things in that movie that will make people go from "forget it, why would I bother"" to "Oh I need to see this! They just stealth did all this, huh?" that are very spoilerly and a weird surprise. It picks up and just goes like the original, but I think its better paced still.

    This is a major spoiler, like really big one, without revealing a bigger spoiler
    venom has a big subplot about coming out of the closet
    If this makes you go "wait......what?".....it really just goes. There's a lot here about codependency in relationships.

    It's a tone sendoff to 90's edge while attaching a different kind of story to it. It was everything I could have hoped for, really. I think reviews calling it bad/trash didn't understand how crappy 90's venom was. This is one of those films that is relegated to garbage piles but in 10 years people will talk about how awesome and wild it was and not "yet another marvel movie".

    steam_sig.png
    Ringo
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    *thinks back to him asking out loud ‘what if Jesus was an alien?’*


    Agreed.

    DiannaoChong
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah I consider myself a pretty big Ridley Scott fan and didn't even know he fucking released a movie recently. Advertising needs to change. I haven't been to the theater since 2019 so maybe it's just because I don't see movie trailers anymore. But if I don't know the movie's coming out then I can't see it. Hell I didn't even know Ghostbusters came out last week until RLM did a review of it.

    Dune I watched because I logged into HBO Max to cancel my sub and saw the poster show up.

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Maybe these streaming services need another section called "Coming Soon" or something that is just trailers that you can watch of upcoming films. List the film name and the director and allow me to click on it to watch it.

    LordSolarMacharius
  • TexiKenTexiKen super highways Registered User regular
    I've been under the impression when a trailer comes out, if it gives a date, it will just be pushed back. But I guess some studios are actually sticking to dates again. Like Last Night in Soho is out now (and also streaming rental), didn't know that happened at all. I only knew Ghostbusters came out because people were doing reviews a month ago and people were all WTF this movie is coming out for another month.

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    I do find it funny that Scott kept going back to Blade Runner and tinkering with it to make his “Deckard is a replicant” headcanon much more overt on screen, and then Villaneuve just went “yeah no I’m not doing that” and it just isn’t a thing in BR2049.

    On the other hand his extended version of Kingdom of Heaven is a much better film than the theatrical release.

    So maybe we should withhold judgement on The Last Duel for a couple years while he fusses with it in the editing room snd finally releases his definitive version for all to see.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Dark Raven XLordSolarMachariusElvenshae
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ridley Scott’s best skill is not being able to make a good film under 3 hours

    BlackDragon480
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    So maybe we should withhold judgement on The Last Duel for a couple years while he fusses with it in the editing room snd finally releases his definitive version for all to see.

    Or we can watch the current version which is pretty damn good?

    Thirith
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    His first feature movie The Duelists is great go watch that

    BlackDragon480KanaLordSolarMachariusAkilae
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I consider myself a pretty big Ridley Scott fan and didn't even know he fucking released a movie recently. Advertising needs to change. I haven't been to the theater since 2019 so maybe it's just because I don't see movie trailers anymore. But if I don't know the movie's coming out then I can't see it. Hell I didn't even know Ghostbusters came out last week until RLM did a review of it.

    Dune I watched because I logged into HBO Max to cancel my sub and saw the poster show up.

    I've been seeing one movie a month since this year and I hadn't heard about it

    so yeah, advertising if nothing else done fucked up

    urahonkyDiannaoChongKanaAntoshka
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 23
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Atomika on
    GiantGeek2020PreacherGnome-InterruptusknitdanAbsoluteZeroElvenshae
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 23
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    Nosf on
    BlackDragon480FencingsaxtzeentchlingGnome-InterruptusRhesus PositiveAbsoluteZeroElvenshaeTynnancj iwakura
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld - the Donald Pleasance one
    This Ridley Scott slander is almost as bad as back when everyone was saying Martin Scorsese only makes movies about mobsters and hasn't done anything for cinema. Like holy shit guys, Ridley Scott releases like 8 movies a year that are more interesting than most of the stuff in theaters. That's really the guy you want to attack?
    How does Ridley making a lot of movies, some great, excuse stupid bullshit like this?
    "I think what it boils down to — what we've got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian [sic] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you're told it on a cellphone," Scott said.

    "This is a broad stroke, but I think we're dealing with it right now with Facebook," Scott added. "This is a misdirection that has happened where it's given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think."
    According to him the reason his movie flopped is because people over 20 don't watch anything not on their phones. Why shouldn't dumb shit like that be called out?
    He's 83, of course he's saying dumb shit about the kids these days. Old people are like that. Obviously I'm not defending those comments. I'm defending him from people saying ridiculous stuff like "maybe he didn't contribute anything to all those fantastic movies he made" or "he only made a few good movies and he's been shit for decades." That's... not how I'd characterize one of my favorite living directors.
    Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I was misunderstanding your point.

    The Ridley Scott talk has got me wondering how many of his films I've seen and looking at his IMDB it's not many. I've seen Gladiator (Like it), Black Hawk Down (Like it), Hannibal (don't like it) and GI Jane (I saw it when it came out and have no memory of it). But he's got a lot of "I hear that's good, I should watch it' stuff like Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, the Martian, etc.

    XBL: That Stone Dude
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Alien and Blade runner (any version without the voice over is best but ignore the weird unicorn sequence) are 100% must watch

    wbBv3fj.png
    BlackDragon480Munkus BeaverurahonkyHedgethorndanxTicaldfjamPailryderElvenshaeTynnan
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Nah, my perfectly good Lord of the Rings DVDs should tide me over for another decade or so.

    knitdan
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 23

    emnmnme wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Nah, my perfectly good Lord of the Rings DVDs should tide me over for another decade or so.

    I paid again so I don't have to flip disc's. I have the nice LOTR set too with the nice slipcase and stuff

    Nosf on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Surprised it’s not the other way around: “Give us an extra $20 or take these 3 Hobbit movies as well.”

    Commander ZoomRingoBloodySlothGnome-InterruptusRhesus PositiveNobeardGiantGeek2020Atlas in ChainsAtomikaPailryderChallAbsoluteZeroElvenshaebrynhrtmncj iwakura
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    They let him pick his and no one said boo at what he chose.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Elvenshae
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Damn I want the hobbit films to be completionist but already own LOTR.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    *thinks back to him asking out loud ‘what if Jesus was an alien?’*


    Agreed.

    And don’t forget his plans for a Gladiator sequel.

    AtomikaElvenshae
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Francisco Scaramanga - charges a million a shot
    Atomika wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    *thinks back to him asking out loud ‘what if Jesus was an alien?’*


    Agreed.

    Not to defend him too vigorously, as he does say some pants on head stuff, but that's a rather old idea you can trace in a Judeo-Christian context back to the Marcionites in the 2nd century.

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Le Chiffre - just pop your clothes over there and take a seat, please
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I consider myself a pretty big Ridley Scott fan and didn't even know he fucking released a movie recently. Advertising needs to change. I haven't been to the theater since 2019 so maybe it's just because I don't see movie trailers anymore. But if I don't know the movie's coming out then I can't see it. Hell I didn't even know Ghostbusters came out last week until RLM did a review of it.

    Dune I watched because I logged into HBO Max to cancel my sub and saw the poster show up.

    Modern consumers, at least a large chunk, are doing their level best to avoid advertising. How do you market to people who actively insulate themselves from marketing?

    People complain when Prime or Apple+ put prerolls for other content on that service in front of their selected show. They’d lose their shit if they started advertising off-platform media. But when you’ve cut the cord and installed an ad blocker (for good reason) you’ve to some extent taken it upon yourself to go check out what’s coming out. Because you’ve walled yourself off from all the normal routes marketers would use to reach you.

    Personally I felt like Last Duel was aggressively marketed. I don’t specifically recall which outlets I saw it promoted on, other than trailers in front of multiple other movies I watched, but it was definitely out there. Same for Ghostbusters. I probably saw like eight spots for that during a single football game. And also trailers in front of multiple other films.

    But if you aren’t going to the theater, don’t watch any television with ads, and pi-hole your internet you can’t be shocked if you didn’t hear a movie came out. You’ve basically built yourself an ad-free bunker, something most people would say they prefer…up until the realize they don’t know what’s outside it anymore.

    Personally I use “new and upcoming” on Rotten Tomatoes, get there for trailers when I go to the theater, and check the “coming soon” in the AMC app to see what’s on the horizon and when it releases. I get some during things like sports, and I think Last Duel was advertised there same as Ghostbusters, but obviously that’s gonna give you a limited look at what’s coming and only the most mainstream stuff. The other options above will show you slightly wider view.

    Gnome-Interruptus
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    *thinks back to him asking out loud ‘what if Jesus was an alien?’*


    Agreed.

    But "what is jesus was an alien" is at least several orders of magnitude more plausible than "what if jesus was actually a deity"

    Local H JayAtlas in ChainsKaputaEmperorSethFANTOMAS
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'd agree. It smacks of "Well, I *always* knew he was a bad 'un and a hack", which tends to come across as quite masturbatory.

    Though Scott does say pretty stupid things, which is largely why I was surprised that The Last Duel was such an eminently well made film that is both nuanced and very clear with respect to its central themes. My impression is that Scott should generally let his films talk for themselves, because he's got vastly better instincts as a filmmaker than as a commentator on current issues of any kind.

    *thinks back to him asking out loud ‘what if Jesus was an alien?’*


    Agreed.

    But "what is jesus was an alien" is at least several orders of magnitude more plausible than "what if jesus was actually a deity"

    Can I request we not go down this road?

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    PreacherFencingsaxSeptusGnome-InterruptusRedcoat-13GiantGeek2020kimecrzyangoElvenshaeN1tSt4lker
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Reviews are coming in for house of gucci and they are oof.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    HedgethornAtomikaElvenshaeTynnan
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    They let him pick his and no one said boo at what he chose.

    Be honest: would you say no to him? Like, about anything?

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    BlackDragon480BloodySlothRhesus PositiveNobeardElvenshaeN1tSt4lkerAntoshka
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    They let him pick his and no one said boo at what he chose.

    Be honest: would you say no to him? Like, about anything?

    Nope.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BlackDragon480NobeardGiantGeek2020ElvenshaeN1tSt4lkerAntoshka
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Alec Trevelyan - his accent occasionally slips but he's doing it for England
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    They let him pick his and no one said boo at what he chose.

    Be honest: would you say no to him? Like, about anything?

    If anything I'd give an enthusiastic yes, please to that headshot.

    I mean damn.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Commander ZoomFencingsaxBlackDragon480Gnome-InterruptusNobeardGiantGeek2020kimeElvenshaeDizzy DAntoshkaTynnan
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I consider myself a pretty big Ridley Scott fan and didn't even know he fucking released a movie recently. Advertising needs to change. I haven't been to the theater since 2019 so maybe it's just because I don't see movie trailers anymore. But if I don't know the movie's coming out then I can't see it. Hell I didn't even know Ghostbusters came out last week until RLM did a review of it.

    Dune I watched because I logged into HBO Max to cancel my sub and saw the poster show up.

    Modern consumers, at least a large chunk, are doing their level best to avoid advertising. How do you market to people who actively insulate themselves from marketing?

    People complain when Prime or Apple+ put prerolls for other content on that service in front of their selected show. They’d lose their shit if they started advertising off-platform media. But when you’ve cut the cord and installed an ad blocker (for good reason) you’ve to some extent taken it upon yourself to go check out what’s coming out. Because you’ve walled yourself off from all the normal routes marketers would use to reach you.

    Personally I felt like Last Duel was aggressively marketed. I don’t specifically recall which outlets I saw it promoted on, other than trailers in front of multiple other movies I watched, but it was definitely out there. Same for Ghostbusters. I probably saw like eight spots for that during a single football game. And also trailers in front of multiple other films.

    But if you aren’t going to the theater, don’t watch any television with ads, and pi-hole your internet you can’t be shocked if you didn’t hear a movie came out. You’ve basically built yourself an ad-free bunker, something most people would say they prefer…up until the realize they don’t know what’s outside it anymore.

    Personally I use “new and upcoming” on Rotten Tomatoes, get there for trailers when I go to the theater, and check the “coming soon” in the AMC app to see what’s on the horizon and when it releases. I get some during things like sports, and I think Last Duel was advertised there same as Ghostbusters, but obviously that’s gonna give you a limited look at what’s coming and only the most mainstream stuff. The other options above will show you slightly wider view.

    I don't really have an answer. But the pre-roll stuff sucks because it's just random shit that I obviously won't watch. I'd prefer it open to a "Coming Soon!" section with a list of movies (horizontal scrolling) with dates below them and you can scroll to view the trailers if you want.

    It's just weird that I follow a bunch of movie folk, sub to a bunch of movie subreddits, and I still didn't see anything about Ghostbusters/Last Duel. I feel like I'd know this by osmosis at this point.

  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 24
    Francisco Scaramanga - charges a million a shot
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    I laugh every time I see a movie ad now that says exclusively in theatres. I knew of the Last Duel but wasn't really interested until it came to streaming. The pandemic has soundly reinforced what I already knew: going to theatres for the shared magical experience of cinema is bullshit....for me. I wanna make my own popcorn and not spend 10 bucks on it. I don't want to deal with people yapping. Vaping in the front row and so on and so forth. I doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

    The Last Duel went up against James Bond, is 2-1/2 hours long and is about court intrigue in 13th century France and well, dueling. The pandemic is still going on with cases rising in a number of places; why would I risk getting it at the tail end? So Hollywood can make a few bucks? Fuck. That. I just don't see where this movie was ever going to win, nevermind the hilarious eternal struggle of boomer vs millennial that the news seems to love so much. Maybe young people don't care about medieval France.
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI the Extended LOTR trilogy in 4K is on sale for $25 today on AppleTV, $45 gets you the Hobbit films too

    Grabbed this on the Microsoft store ... last year? It is a goddamn mountain of content. There's a long playlist of little featurettes for each flick. At the bottom in the app it has all the actors, all their headshots are from various premieres and such except....

    gf7kbb94t81e.png

    They let him pick his and no one said boo at what he chose.

    Be honest: would you say no to him? Like, about anything?

    If anything I'd give an enthusiastic yes, please to that headshot.

    I mean damn.

    Even if he wasn't a fetching tall-drink of water, you don't say no to a guy who still has some of his WW2 record with the RAF and SOE classified when most of it should've been made open to public requests last year at the latest (US and UK both have 75 years as the normal maximum anything can remain fully confidential).

    BlackDragon480 on
    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    Commander ZoomMegaMan001Rhesus PositiveDark Raven XNobeardGiantGeek2020
Sign In or Register to comment.