Options

Twitch Compromised, change your passwords

see317see317 Registered User regular
Apologies if this was already posted, I didn't see a thread for it.

It's been a hell of a week on the internet, and it's only Wednesday.
There are reports that a hacker has leaked the entirety of Twitch, from source code to creator payouts.

Tweet text:
A anonymous hacker has reportedly leaked the entirety of Twitch, including source code and creator payouts

Update: One anonymous company source told VGC that the leaked Twitch data is legitimate, including the source code.
Internally, Twitch is aware of the breach, the source said, and it's believed that the data was obtained as recently as Monday.

So, if you've used your Twitch password elsewhere, you might want to go update those passwords.
Probably want to reset your twitch password as well.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular

Twitch also confirmed it. Passwords were encrypted at least.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Also, if you've used the same password elsewhere, you'll want to find a ruler and smack your hand with it.

If you don't have one laying around, you might be able to catch the tail end of the back to school sales.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I highly recommend using a password manager. I am currently using 1Password myself but it's a paid service. I've tried some of the free ones but didn't really like them. 1Password generates incredibly complex passwords for me and uses them on the site. Syncs with my phone, my computer, and my browser. My wife even has access to my 1Password so she has access to everything as well.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    But my Twitch password is the same one I use to do all my banking!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    This should maybe be sticky/announcement?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Setting up 2FA will be orders of magnitude more impactful than changing any of your passwords, go set up 2FA right now.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Do both. Do all of that. Use a password manager, use cryptographically random passwords that are as long as possible, and use 2FA when it's available if you care even a little bit about the account. This is all doubly, triply, quadruply true if the account deals with your money in any way including something like your Twitch account if you pay for subscriptions.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I reset my password to something I'll never be able to remember on my own without cybernetic implants in my brain, as per Twitch's requirements.

As a result, it's now refusing to allow me to link my YouTube account so I can easily export to it. My understanding is that it's a known issue, but they don't seem to be in a rush to tell anyone or do anything like extend how long they'll keep videos up before removing them.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    magdakoppmagdakopp Registered User new member
    Security team be like :sad: