As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Get The Banana

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    progress

the lock icon on my phone wiggles as i try to use watch unlock

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

but i am not told what's wrong
    and now suddenly it is working every time

which honestly is just making me more angry

in the apple ecosystem this means: you. you are wrong. :bzz:

(these kinds of apple interactions are indeed super frustrating)

I always assume this to be the case, Apple Ecosystem or not.

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

They're definitely the kings of "you're wrong, customer."

if i remember right steve jobs literally said the customer doesn't know what they want and needs to be told

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I don't use electronic devices because it supports capitalism

yet you have a job

He's taking down The System from the inside.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    which is why i suddenly find myself owning four different apple devices what happened to me

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    He's right that the customer doesn't know what they want, that whole pasta sauce thing proves it

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    He's right that the customer doesn't know what they want, that whole pasta sauce thing proves it

Explain this pasta sauce for me, glasses man

• Options
    is it a joke if drake actually is a pedophile

• Options
    edited October 2021

Explain this pasta sauce for me, glasses man

The quickest summation is from the TED TALK here
    As Gladwell explains, Prego pasta sauces were losing market share in the 1980s to competitor Ragú, even though the product was much better, with the quality of the tomatoes, the combination of herbs and Prego sauce’s adherence to pasta clearly superior to Ragú’s.

At the time, Campbell Soups, which owned the Prego brand, asked Moskowitz to find the tomato sauce for pasta that would satisfy Americans. With a PhD from Harvard, Moskowitz had already worked for well known brands such as Pepsi and Nescafé and had also developed concepts such as the “sensory satisfaction sensation”, based on a commission from the US army to get soldiers to eat the (not very appetising) food provided to them during military operations in order to ensure resistance in battle.

After analysing the situation, expert Moskowitz asked Prego to develop a battery of different tomato-based pasta sauce prototypes, identified according to their sensory attributes: sweetness, garlic flavour, acidity, tomato flavour, consistency, visible solids… In total, 45 tomato sauces were created and Moskowitz took them on a tour of the United States, testing them on consumers from all over the country. The key to getting conclusive results in this research was about using sensory analysis to make the right choice of products for testing with consumers.

Each consumer tried ten small bowls of pasta with different spaghetti sauces and they then awarded each sauce with points. When analysing the data, Moskowitz saw that there was no preferred variety of spaghetti sauce, but that consumer taste could be classed into three groups: some liked the standard tomato sauce, others preferred the sauce with the spicy touch and, finally, there was a group that preferred a sauce with lots of vegetable chunks.

Realising that there was a large group of people who wanted more vegetable chunks in their tomato sauce was a real discovery, because there was no such product in supermarkets in the 1980s. One in three Americans wanted that kind of sauce and no company had attended to their needs. If Prego had undertaken traditional product testing, consumers would not have been able to express their desire for this variety, as it was not available in the market at the time.

Basically, if a product isn't something that's already widely available, people might love it but have absolutely no idea they love it (Jobs only got the first half of his sentence right)

It's a warning against companies drilling down on just putting out THE MOST POPULAR THING because people do want other things, your research just shows otherwise because it's only measuring against what's currently before the consumer

*glancing at the 14 high budget cooperative horde survival shooters coming in 2022*

override367 on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I don't use electronic devices because it supports capitalism

There used to be someone here that did not have a cell phone, and like was adamant they wouldn't get one. This was years ago though so who knows.

Back in 2007, I tried to refuse to get one since I was used to work paying for mine and my new job wasn't offering to pay.

My hold out lasted all of a couple of weeks when I messed up my friends movie plans cause they couldn't reach me. My bestie told me to just go get a fucking phone. I did. One month later my job gave me a brand new android to test and keep for work. I had two phones for a while, then dropped the private one. I haven't paid for phone service since. (Though I did have to start buying my own phone). Horray for IT jobs.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I am making the banan bread. Be outside in an hour for banan bread.

You're making bathbread?

banan is swedish for banana

It's also spanish for bathe.

Languages, right?

well, only if you use the ñ

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

Apple is still the company that told people they were holding their phones wrong when they put their internal antenna right where 99% of the world holds their phone, or instead of creating a sustainable, easily replaceable batteries for their hardware, accelerated the rate of e-waste and just starting throttling down their older phones.

if i remember right steve jobs literally said the customer doesn't know what they want and needs to be told

This is the only thing I will give Steve Jobs credit for. The customer is at best misguided, but usually they're stubborn and wrong and would rather cut off their own nose that adopt something better.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    customers are idiots though

• Options
    edited October 2021

I assume everyone is a pedophile until proven otherwise as a defense mechanism to the number of people I respected in the past turning out to be pedophiles

I've marked off 14 PA people so far as "probably not pedophiles", you are only in the "pedophile" category on a technicality that you are so much older than any potential mate that it might as well be

override367 on
  • Options
    i didn't say he was wrong

• Options

I assume everyone is a pedophile until proven otherwise as a defense mechanism to the number of people I respected in the past turning out to be pedophiles

I've marked off 14 PA people so far as "probably not pedophiles", you are only in the "pedophile" category on a technicality that you are so much older than any potential mate that it might as well be

fair

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

*watches anime*

Oh shit.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

I once had a lady insistently try to return a half empty gallon of milk that she had bought at Target, at the Wal-Mart I worked at

I was like "it says Target on it, right there, Archer Farms a product of Target"

She said "it's pronounced Tarjay, it's fancy milk"

the manager accepted her return and gave her $3 in store credit

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

This is the only thing I will give Steve Jobs credit for. The customer is at best misguided, but usually they're stubborn and wrong and would rather cut off their own nose that adopt something better.

Counterpoint: Engineers also often have their heads up their asses. See every shitty version of Windows that's been released.

• Options
    i will say not just apple but i am not really a fan of the intentional black box nature of modern devices

i like understanding how things work

• Options
    edited October 2021
    i will say not just apple but i am not really a fan of the intentional black box nature of modern devices

I wish Louis Rossman wasn't such a libertarian because he's otherwise a pretty solid avatar for consumer rights

at least when other businesses in NYC bitched to him about unemployment benefits and not finding workers he said "That's because you fired them when they needed you most rather than take a hit to your wallet, I kept all my employees through the shutdown at great expense and they're all still here, try not treating them like shit and see what happens"

override367 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    syndalis wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

The throttling thing still being a thing for people shows just how badly they handled that, because apple was 100% in the right with what they did there and the vast majority of people never would have noticed the throttling... but they sure as shit would have noticed their phone spontaneously powering off when the older battery was no longer capable of supporting the full brunt of all cores running at max.

But running articles that talk about how apple actually prolonged the life of the device and kept it out of the repair shop or upgrade cycle by letting it work longer with older batteries isn't a catchy headline.

The solution is to not make phones that cannot be repaired by design.

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

If they had allowed for easy battery replacement, the entire thing would have not happened.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I once had a lady insistently try to return a half empty gallon of milk that she had bought at Target, at the Wal-Mart I worked at

I was like "it says Target on it, right there, Archer Farms a product of Target"

Once had a whole family go into the wrong theater. Sit through the wrong movie. Then come out and demand their money back because it was the wrong movie. Manager gave them a coupon for a free movie.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

Once had a whole family go into the wrong theater. Sit through the wrong movie. Then come out and demand their money back because it was the wrong movie. Manager gave them a coupon for a free movie.

Sometimes I think that we have anti-maskers because capitalism has demanded that the service industry treat these people with kid gloves for the last few decades

• Options

I wish Louis Rossman wasn't such a libertarian because he's otherwise a pretty solid avatar for consumer rights

at least when other businesses in NYC bitched to him about unemployment benefits and not finding workers he said "That's because you fired them when they needed you most rather than take a hit to your wallet, I kept all my employees through the shutdown at great expense and they're all still here, try not treating them like shit and see what happens"

Rossman is a weird type of libertarian, because he's definitely within the same school of thought but also doesn't seem to have that Republican streak that runs through people like Rand Paul.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I probably would have just out of respect for the sheer gall of that.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

I don't feel bad they got raked over the coals for it. It's a shitty, wasteful design choice (and to be fair it's not just Apple, but they arguably popularized it) and no company should be lauded for their designs which result in thousands of tons of waste in landfills yearly.

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Sometimes I think that we have anti-maskers because capitalism has demanded that the service industry treat these people with kid gloves for the last few decades

Our near total inability to actually do much collectively as a nation certainly has roots in it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    How you got Discloser mixed up with The Ref I'll never know.

• Options
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

I mean, they charge 49-69 bucks out of warranty, do the battery swap for you and can do it while you wait. They also do proper battery disposal/recycling.

Sure, there is some margin there for them but they are not raking customers over the coals for this from a cost perspective, and the phone resumes working at full speed immediately once it gets a fresh battery.

They could also just you know, make it replaceable.

There's no good reason not to make it replaceable anymore.

• Options

Rossman is a weird type of libertarian, because he's definitely within the same school of thought but also doesn't seem to have that Republican streak that runs through people like Rand Paul.

he sounds like the kind of libertarian i was where i personally would do the right thing and just expected that everyone else would as well

my basic philosophies about what's right haven't ever really changed, it's been my understanding of how the real world works

• Options
    edited October 2021
    speaking of which when I bought my Xbox 360 I made a fake coupon for my mom that I knew would scan but probably wouldnt work, and asked her to go pick it up for me, it said it was 50% off with the purchase of a game and a large box of garbage bags

the coupon didn't scan but somehow she left the store with an xbox 360 50% off

older white women are basically weapons of mass destruction against retail managers

override367 on
  • Options

??

ertqnsxta4n0.jpg

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

If they had allowed for easy battery replacement, the entire thing would have not happened.

Or just you know, give the customer a warning instead of having a phone that's suddenly slow with no apparent reason why.

• Options
    a7d42df1689d1e060dae5e9da8945572--lil-boy-gameboy.jpg

Mmm, that's the stuff.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Lmao

Me after my interview: I bombed. I fucked up
    My boss after my interview (he was interviewing me): congrats, you impressed me!

• Options
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

They could also just you know, make it replaceable.

There's no good reason not to make it replaceable anymore.

I think the design of the phones is the best they have been, the battery life is really good, and I am sure one or both of those things would be sacrificed at the altar of making the battery user replaceable... and to what, save 20 bucks at most on a thing you might need to do three years down the road on a 1000+ dollar device?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

He also said Apple would never build a bigger iphone, and that no one wants a tablet.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Puppy has decided the optimal way to get our attention is to climb up the patio furniture and onto the window ledge and just bark at us through the window

What a shithead
    9x5uoh1rcdtx.jpeg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    progress

so it is communicating

it just doesn't work

Or just you know, give the customer a warning instead of having a phone that's suddenly slow with no apparent reason why.

Which is why I said they handled it badly. What they did was a good thing, but it wasn't communicated well at all. They have since updated it to not only give that warning, but also let you check in on your battery health, and also turn off the throttling feature when your battery is getting older, at your own risk.

SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.