Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

19495969798100»

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fucking boo on Meta. Let me cut the dead weight.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How does that even work, following so many accounts? I get a reasonable amount of stuff to scroll through with 150 or so. Like, as far as I can tell Instagram got rid of even the most basic ways to sort and filter content.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    How does that even work, following so many accounts? I get a reasonable amount of stuff to scroll through with 150 or so. Like, as far as I can tell Instagram got rid of even the most basic ways to sort and filter content.

Honestly I have no idea. I think I just mindlessly followed accounts overtime. And it just became this feed of "LOOK AT HOW GREAT MY LIFE IS" shit

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Instagram is both convenient and shitty

It tries to show you posts to get engagement, or something, so you have to change your feed to following or something to actually see things chronologically, and it still doesn't show you all of the people/accounts you follow

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, every 30 days it starts slipping suggested posts into my feed and each time I have to tell it "Nope, please don't do that".

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I bet it’s a shitty DB script.

They probably have a job of some kind that runs regularly and gets fucked if too many people unfollow too many people in a day.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I bet it’s a shitty DB script.

They probably have a job of some kind that runs regularly and gets fucked if too many people unfollow too many people in a day.

yeah there's probably some kind of rate limit as to how many follow/unfollow requests you can do on some level

but also there's just instagram's standard UX of making everything as miserable as possible - basic tools that we've perfected decades ago for adding/subscribing/toggling features simply don't work consistently, and a lot of that is by design to force people into viewing things they don't want

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Instagram might be the most visible case of enshittification to the mainstream (or at least mainstream of people my age), even relative to Twitter or TikTok

Like even my most normie-ass friends all know Instagram sucks now and it feels less a part of the zeitgeist than ever, albeit still popular

• Options
    I have finally discovered the "turn off suggestions for 30 days" feature and that plus cutting the utter shite I was following has massively cleaned up my feed.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Instagram and Facebook are the only ways I have of interacting with certain friends and communities, so I cannot cut them out completely, but I wish the apps sucked less shit

Instagram wasn't perfect before Facebook bought it, but it sucked less shit

It has definitely had multiple identity crises

• Options
    Facebook Messenger is the only reason I've not just nuked my facebook account, so I totally get you.

In the UK, we all use WhatsApp so I'll never be fucking free of Meta and their bullshit.

At least WhatsApp has end to end encryption for now.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I've asked this thread before, but do you get your bookmarks on the left in Chrome? For a company all about customization, they seem dead set on making sure they put everything in the wrong place and gluing it there.

• Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3WAdj5nWY&pp=ygUTSmFwYW5lc2Ugc2l4IGFybWVkIA%3D%3D
    Masahiko Inami and his team at the University of Tokyo have created a wearable - and exchangeable - multi-armed device to explore the social interaction between multiple users of the robotic limbs.

READ MORE : https://www.euronews.com/2023/06/29/s...
    s

I wish these stories had more substance to them

x0hfhkim06fj.jpg

like every news story just references the same press release, there doesn't seem to be any good explanation as to how the limbs are controlled

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I can only assume the arms were designed with the principle of "distributed processing," with each arm's advanced, independent artificial intelligence allowing a high degree of precision and agility necessary for the delicate reaction. The tentacles are controlled via nanowires connected to the cerebellum, which are connected via a series of needles along his spinal column. While the wearer protects their higher brain function with a Neural Inhibitor Chip, maintaining control over the artificial intelligence.

However, when a demonstration of a localized fusion reactor goes wrong, the inhibitor chip is destroyed and the needles connecting the nanowires to the brain are fused to the spine. The subject is rushed, unconscious, to the hospital. Although unconscious, the arms remained aware of their surroundings. Terrified of the surgeons who planned to saw off the arms to ascertain the damage to the subject's spine, the tentacles lashed out and killed the doctors in self-defense.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maybe he controls them through his penis?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Doc Cock

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Doc Cock

Doctor Cocktopus didn’t get 3 PhDs for you to call him “Doc Cock.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    $5 on you don't control them, they're just for show and making a splashy photograph for the press release so pop science websites will talk about it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    They're actually controlled by a rat you hide underneath your hat.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They're controlled by precise clenching of the buttocks

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    breathing and walking provide the pumping action

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I fucking hate updating my Mac, always feels like it's struggling and on the verge of bricking and then on one of its many random restarts it just happily runs through the whole progress bar

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

As I'm white, I do walk without rhythm…

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

As I'm white, I do walk without rhythm…

you won't attract the worm

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I fucking hate updating my Mac, always feels like it's struggling and on the verge of bricking and then on one of its many random restarts it just happily runs through the whole progress bar

This is why I won't update my clients' Macs. They want to, they can, but overnight and when I'm not there. They are welcome to call me the next morning if something goes wrong.

Seriously, just set it to update and go to bed. If it's gonna break there's nothing you can do anyway.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    windows has the fun feature of sometimes getting stuck during the update and forcing it to shutdown will either brick it or fix it

always a fun time

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    windows has the fun feature of sometimes getting stuck during the update and forcing it to shutdown will either brick it or fix it

always a fun time

Are ya feeling lucky, punk? Well are ya?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

always a fun time

We routinely push Windows updates at a specific day in a specific week each month, and then give users ~1 week of time to manually restart their machines to apply the updates. If they don't do it manually, there's a hard-reset time at...let's say midnight on Sunday, don't remember exactly.

But it's always fun to get a sense of how many people with remote desktop PCs didn't run the manual restart based on how many tickets we get Monday morning that are just "my machine was fine on Friday, now I can't login, plz halp" because the machine rebooted itself but got stuck before it could get back to the login screen, and we get to wander the office getting them back online (the answer is, more than you'd like)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

always a fun time

I haven't had that happen in a while with Windows. Going from an old build to a new one can be touchy, but the last couple of years have seemed to iron a lot of that out. Especially now that most of the updating is done while the system is live, and the reboot is relatively quick. It's honestly a relief.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.