Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    “Decoded the html source code” would be a hilarious goddamn statement if there weren’t enough tech-illiterate people in positions of power to possibly actually prosecute this.

"The defendants willfully and with intent clicked on the website."

"Using the left mouse button, I assume?"

"If only, Your Honor. If only. They used the other button. The hacker button."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    “Decoded the html source code” would be a hilarious goddamn statement if there weren’t enough tech-illiterate people in positions of power to possibly actually prosecute this.

"The defendants willfully and with intent clicked on the website."

"Using the left mouse button, I assume?"

"If only, Your Honor. If only. They used the other button. The hacker button."

The power of F12

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    sb4p67retbsy.jpg

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh god. Is every sarcastic HACKERMAN gif I’ve sent in my group chat at work actually evidence of a crime?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Now I really want a keyboard with a giant hack button that just launches a shell script that looks pretty and makes you think it's launching the nukes or whatever.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Now I really want a keyboard with a giant hack button that just launches a shell script that looks pretty and makes you think it's launching the nukes or whatever.

Gotta go a little more incognito so the feds don’t notice.

1xv3emg2ajjr.jpeg

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Just login to a network device and run a tcpdump, all you have to do is watch it occasionally and you look like you're doing important work. Bonus points for making the text green.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

"I'm not owned you're owned"

Hopefully the the journalists have plenty of legal funds protecting them from state stupidity

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I can't believe that Governor Mike Parson had the audacity to come in here and shit on my good goof.

@Geth kick Governor Mike Parson

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    $50 says he means they followed a link in the source code to an unprotected directory where the found the SSNs.

HACKING

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Taking a flight to Canada next week and surely technology has made the check-in process for flights much easier especially now in COVID times. All the airlines have apps and websites and should be able to handle uploading a few documents to prove vaccination status, right?

Oh, they want me to download a third-party app that uses "machine learning" and "automated processes" to confirm vaccination status? It's got 1 star in the Play Store? Surely those were just teething troubles and after a year of updates it'll work fine. I'll just create an account and upload my proof of vaccination

"Sorry, we couldn't automatically verify your vaccination status as it's not from our list of supported providers. Please wait for manual confirmation"

My vaccination provider? The NHS. That tiny, insignificant health services provider used by the entirety of the UK.

Guess I'm just printing off a bunch of stuff and standing in line next week then. Great jeorb, British Airways.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I have paid off my Galaxy S9 this month which I haven't actually used in a while.

But hey my phone bill will be 20 bucks cheaper next month so that's good.

If my pixel 4a 5g holds up for like 16 more months I might get my bill under 100 a month at that point.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Taking a flight to Canada next week and surely technology has made the check-in process for flights much easier especially now in COVID times. All the airlines have apps and websites and should be able to handle uploading a few documents to prove vaccination status, right?

Oh, they want me to download a third-party app that uses "machine learning" and "automated processes" to confirm vaccination status? It's got 1 star in the Play Store? Surely those were just teething troubles and after a year of updates it'll work fine. I'll just create an account and upload my proof of vaccination

"Sorry, we couldn't automatically verify your vaccination status as it's not from our list of supported providers. Please wait for manual confirmation"

My vaccination provider? The NHS. That tiny, insignificant health services provider used by the entirety of the UK.

Guess I'm just printing off a bunch of stuff and standing in line next week then. Great jeorb, British Airways.

Listen, cousin Jimmy got an A in computers in school I'll have you know. That's why the gov gave him 20 million to develop this app.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Had a similar thing happen here in Germany.

Programmer found a security gap in an election campaign app that exposed the personal data of 20k campaigners. She told the official Computer Emergency Response Team of the federal government and the party that used the app.

The party sued her.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Last weekend was the start of the fall school holiday in my city in Germany. It was a total shitshow at the airport and by the end of the weekend the airlines were asking passengers to come to the airport 4 hours before their flight.

This weekend they are saying you should come to the airport the evening before and drop off your bags and check in already.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah I've started suing people who quote my posts saying "look at this dampass busta"

because how fucking DARE you make me look bad that is ILLEGAL probably and WRONG

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The moral, I think, is to not report security vulnerabilities and let them pay out $$$ when a malicious actor decides to right click.

• Options
    Anyone know of good phones that do less? I am not willing to give up maps and ability to Google and Spotify, but lord do I miss not having a phone with the whole damn internet on it. I am a weak man, and happier when I just turn my phone off, but again, am weak vs that dopamine drip. I can set up all the blockers I want, but I can also subvert them so it's always been a matter of time. The irony if posting this on my phone does not escape me.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    There's the palm phone and another one, I cannot think of the name of it, Huckberry was marketing it for a while

Light phone, maybe?

I waffle back and forth on this too

https://takemy.money/the-best-minimalist-phones

I had a moment this morning, getting ready for work, and I was in half a panic because I couldn't find my damn phone charger. What a stupid way to live, I thought

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Brolo wrote: »
    yeah I've started suing people who quote my posts saying "look at this dampass busta"

because how fucking DARE you make me look bad that is ILLEGAL probably and WRONG

The difference is you make bad posts look good.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    honestly Cruz is enough of a greedy shitbag and Bitcoin is enough of a scam already that it would not surprise me at all if one of the rich assholes near the top of the Bitcoin pyramid just told him to promote Bitcoins whenever he can so the attention makes the value rise and the speculators can juice the bitcoin loyalists a little harder.

Cruz's wife is an executive at Goldman Sachs

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    The light phone not having a camera is a deal breaker for me

The palm seems to be discontinued

The jelly one has some weird shell over google OS, and a shitty camera

• Options
    Who knew I'd hate having a pocket computer with internet access so much. My little monkey brain wasn't built for this. Perfectly evolved to try new fruits till I poison myself and not much else.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Where can I get a good stereo rca to 3.5mm cable anymore

The one I've got is too short and crackling a lot and the 3.5mm end is too fat to fit the line in on my PC next to the other inputs.

Ok I got it working, kind of.

Just had to carefully separate the RCA ends so they stopped touching anything adjacent to them... I wonder if I should wrap them in eletrical tape if that would help?

Uriel on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

The one I've got is too short and crackling a lot and the 3.5mm end is too fat to fit the line in on my PC next to the other inputs.

Just had to carefully separate the RCA ends so they stopped touching anything adjacent to them... I wonder if I should wrap them in eletrical tape if that would help?

If you still want a replacement it's very expensive at $.99.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This would work but I would also have to get a aux cable that's M-F.

Oh hey they have those too, go figure.

Shipping is probably more than the products haha

Uriel on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

Ever since I learned that the NHS partnered with cryptobros to use blockchain (Hedera Hashgraph) to track vaccination efforts, I pretty much wrote off the technology side of that organization. It's bein run by the crazies.

• Options
    Who knew I'd hate having a pocket computer with internet access so much. My little monkey brain wasn't built for this. Perfectly evolved to try new fruits till I poison myself and not much else.

Yeah, I agree

I waste so much time on this damn thing

I check it almost every 10 minutes, all day long

For what, I have no idea

During the workday, I often have extremely short periods of inactivity, so I pull out my phone and make a post like this one

I'll be sitting outside, watching a video of someone else being active outside, hunting, hiking, fishing, whatever, while I am outside

I definitely need a phone and want a camera, but all of this other stuff, maybe not so much

My partner is pregnant, my Dad isn't healthy, etc, want a phone for those reasons

• Options

Yeah, I agree

For what, I have no idea

During the workday, I often have extremely short periods of inactivity, so I pull out my phone and make a post like this one

I'll be sitting outside, watching a video of someone else being active outside, hunting, hiking, fishing, whatever, while I am outside

I definitely need a phone and want a camera, but all of this other stuff, maybe not so much

My partner is pregnant, my Dad isn't healthy, etc, want a phone for those reasons

Oh the access is...basically necessary to function like other people in society, which is wild enough (how the hell did my dad make plans with friends in the 70s?). But the fuckin' attention economy is ghoulish and terrible, and while it IS as simple as "don't do it", it's also as EASY as "just don't do the thing" and I think every addict also wishes that was easy as it sounds.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021

Yeah, I agree

For what, I have no idea

Oh the access is...basically necessary to function like other people in society, which is wild enough (how the hell did my dad make plans with friends in the 70s?). But the fuckin' attention economy is ghoulish and terrible, and while it IS as simple as "don't do it", it's also as EASY as "just don't do the thing" and I think every addict also wishes that was easy as it sounds.

d9dLIc0.png

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052009

Brolo on
  • Options
    You're right, I SHOULD finally read all of achewood.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This would work but I would also have to get a aux cable that's M-F.

Oh hey they have those too, go figure.

Shipping is probably more than the products haha

You used to be able to go to radio shack

Check online and see if your local electronics store is still in business

We used to have two, but now only one remains

RIP Signal Electronics

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's a great day for corporate crackdowns, as Apple continues to go after people trying to organize and improve their workplace culture! Very cool!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Anyone know of good phones that do less? I am not willing to give up maps and ability to Google and Spotify, but lord do I miss not having a phone with the whole damn internet on it. I am a weak man, and happier when I just turn my phone off, but again, am weak vs that dopamine drip. I can set up all the blockers I want, but I can also subvert them so it's always been a matter of time. The irony if posting this on my phone does not escape me.

Can’t you give your phone to a family member or a trusted friend and password protect it so you can’t re add them?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    $50 says he means they followed a link in the source code to an unprotected directory where the found the SSNs.

HACKING

Even dumber, the page was delivering them as a Base64 encoded string embedded in a non-displayed section of the page. Literally sending SSNs to anyone who used it.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

HACKING

Even dumber, the page was delivering them as a Base64 encoded string embedded in a non-displayed section of the page. Literally sending SSNs to anyone who used it.

Oh. Oh wow.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

Can’t you give your phone to a family member or a trusted friend and password protect it so you can’t re add them?

Not practically, as I need mobile slack for work. Just gonna try and keep being better about just turning it off at home. It's a process.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

HACKING

God dammit, I knew it. I knew it was base64 when they started talking about "decoding" and shit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The Post Dispatch is Missouri's liberal rag so I'm sure the state GOP have been looking for an excuse to attack it for a while now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    So I got the iPhone 13 and I found out that Project Fi doesn't support 5G on iPhones. I've also come to realize that Fi is kind of pricey for a MVNO. These two things have me looking for a new provider.

The main thing though is that I use the "data-only SIM" feature Fi has. For those not familiar, it essentially lets you get a SIM card for things like iPads that doesn't provide any voice, but doesn't cost extra and any data used is charged the same way you usually are for data. I'm having a hard time finding any other service with this feature.

Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.