Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    RE: The notch

If you take a look at the product photos on the site, the top product images with the filler screen show the notch clearly in the photo. If you scroll lower in the page, they show multiple apps that appear to be in full-screen mode, and the top of the screen is just a solid black bar with the camera visible in the middle - all the screen content is below.
    Either the app product images misrepresent how the screen looks in real use, or when you enter full screen on an app, it blacks out the top of the screen plus the notch and sets everything below that point as usable screen real estate. I'm guessing it's the latter since that's generally how it works for modern iPhone apps.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    RE: The notch

If you take a look at the product photos on the site, the top product images with the filler screen show the notch clearly in the photo. If you scroll lower in the page, they show multiple apps that appear to be in full-screen mode, and the top of the screen is just a solid black bar with the camera visible in the middle - all the screen content is below.
    Either the app product images misrepresent how the screen looks in real use, or when you enter full screen on an app, it blacks out the top of the screen plus the notch and sets everything below that point as usable screen real estate. I'm guessing it's the latter since that's generally how it works for modern iPhone apps.

It's almost certainly the 2nd thing, since blacking out the top 74 pixels gives you a 16:10 ratio of viewable area instead of 16:10.4-ish.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So basically the menu bar is treated as “extra” space, it sounds like. Still wonder what happens when you mouse into the notch.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'll let y'all know when the one I ordered is delivered in a few weeks 8-)

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Android 12 is out if you have a Pixel

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I disagree.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying you arrest the creator for building it, I'm just saying maybe take a spade and poke around in their back yard a bit, see what actionable charges turn up naturally.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Android 12 looks weird

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Just needs an Asuka and you've recreated an Evangelion movie

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Question about my PC hardware, because sometimes I feel like I'm really far behind the curve, but games still play well? This is what I'm on, obviously getting a magical 30X series gpu is there, but otherwise, what is your upgrade opinion?

i7-6700K
    Z170X-Gaming 5
    32GB ram
    2TB SSD + 1TB HDD media drive
    RTX 2070 Super

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    With that old an I7 I'm betting your sitting at the top of your upgrade path currently. Its probably time for a whole Mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The only real upgrade from 6700K while staying on that same motherboard is a 7700K. Not sure what kind of uplift that would give you, but I think it'd probably be worth it to just by a new mobo and CPU at the same time and do a more substantial upgrade.

There's one final revision of the AMD AM4 platform coming in early 2022, then they're moving to the AM5 chip late next year. AM5 brings a lot of upgrades outside of the CPU themselves, like PCIe Gen 5 and DDR5. Intel's Alder Lake platform will also support those features and is set to roll out late this year/early next year.

There's always going to be something new coming, but if your gaming performance is something you can live with for a while longer, I'd say wait it out and see what hits on those two new platforms.

• Options
    As someone with a Ryzen 5 3600 on an X570 mobo, I plan on grabbing one of those final AM4 chips with 3D V-Cache, moving up a rung to a Ryzen 7, and then using that system until at least the release of AM6 or whatever the generation after next will be called.

Now, if I could only get my hands on a more powerful GPU for a not insane price, then my system would really be complete...

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I know the 6700k socket is dead, new mobo/proc/mem, but what is the modern equivalent?

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I know the 6700k socket is dead, new mobo/proc/mem, but what is the modern equivalent?

I would say that the most modern equivalent to the i7-6700K is either the i7-11700K if you want to stay Intel, or the Ryzen 7 5800X if you want to go AMD. If you have DDR4 RAM you could actually bring that over, although it's likely that it's relatively slow compared to modern DDR4.

If budget is a factor, you'd still see a big overall performance uplift from chips one step down from the above, so the i5-11600K or the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. Even those midrange chips have 2 more cores and 4 more threads than your current CPU, and are just faster clock for clock besides.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2021
    the current generation of Ryzen CPUs is also significantly outperforming intel CPUs at a lower price point, FWIW.

Also a 2070 Super is still perfectly good, I wouldn't bother upgrading your graphics card for another generation or two unless you have a lot of money and time to burn hunting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    the current generation of Ryzen CPUs is also significantly outperforming intel CPUs at a lower price point, FWIW.

Also a 2070 Super is still perfectly good, I wouldn't bother upgrading your graphics card for another generation or two unless you have a lot of money and time to burn hunting.

With the caveat that Alderlake leaks are looking.... Let's just say "intriguing" at this point. I'm interested to see how the whole little/big thing works (and how legacy software handles it)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Android 12 looks weird

Here we go, downloading now

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Seems neat, but I'm not sure if I'll see a lot of the nifty design themes if I use dark mode, as I prefer...

https://gizmodo.com/15-things-you-can-do-in-android-12-that-you-couldnt-do-1847598673

Here, Karl

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You guys are getting android 12?

Man my One plus 6t only just got Android 11.

I demand a full review because I won't be seeing Android 11 for a long time.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Seems neat, but I'm not sure if I'll see a lot of the nifty design themes if I use dark mode, as I prefer...

https://gizmodo.com/15-things-you-can-do-in-android-12-that-you-couldnt-do-1847598673

Here, Karl

Thank you :)

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    8qmz7qvn9a3h.png

Nice Try Zarflax

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tech thread anarchy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    oh god they're everywhere

• Options
    Is this healthcare thread?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Android 12 looks weird

Here we go, downloading now

The only thing that really bothers me so far is the clock on the lock screen. The numbers are way too big.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    This thread smells like farts

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I don't get why versions of Android need to keep making everything LOOK so different. It takes me forever to just make it look the way I want it again.

• Options
    Re: Android 12, on Pixel 3a

The calendar and weather widgets are both really tiny too, and basically impossible for me to tap

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Same on my 4XL. I can hit the one I want, but it is super tiny.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    oh god they're everywhere

We've reached the point where the number of tech threads doubles every eighteen months.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    That cannot be real

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's even worse than I thought it would be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    How meta of them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    That cannot be real

I think it's structured something like Alphabet and Google, where Meta is the holding company

Brolo on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is Facebook the company, not Facebook the product. As Alphabet is to Google, more or less.

God what a dumb name.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I hope Meta the company can revive the Dark Universe franchise next

A Dark Metaverse, anyone? Ohohoho okay kill me

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.