Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A messed-up infinity symbol is actually a great logo for their legacy. Because it's kind of shitty and will be forever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I got a Pixel 5a with 5G a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed that 5G... sucks?

Like, I'm in the Washington DC area, you'd think if anywhere would have decent 5G coverage it would be here, but it is constantly eating shit and will usually eventually just drop back down to 4G LTE and do way better

Is this just how it's going to be for a while?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I got a Pixel 5a with 5G a couple weeks ago, and I've noticed that 5G... sucks?

Like, I'm in the Washington DC area, you'd think if anywhere would have decent 5G coverage it would be here, but it is constantly eating shit and will usually eventually just drop back down to 4G LTE and do way better

Is this just how it's going to be for a while?

depends on what network you're on and their 5G coverage in that area really

sounds like how 4G was when it first rolled out to me, way oversold and not quite fully there for the first year or two

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    can someone beat Zuckerberg over the head with his copy of Snow Crash until he figures out that the telecom billionaire was actually the villain

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    KalTorak wrote: »
    can someone beat Zuckerberg over the head with his copy of Snow Crash until he figures out that the telecom billionaire was actually the villain

I don't think we're supposed to advocate murder, no matter how thick-headed the asshole.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I was betting he would rename the company SnowCrash showing his complete misunderstanding of the book.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ that Facebook rebrand news is just the worst thing ever.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So Zucc renamed the ... Over company, not the actual apps... To the name of his new second life clone? Is this an attempt to trick search engines, what with all the whistleblower stuff and bad press about Facebook the app and the company?

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Is Meta the Wario to Weta workshop's Mario?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    meta-analysis.png

• Options
    Also it sounds like Facebook needs a gimmick

https://youtu.be/TB9nOXBvP9c

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    God, nft people are such insufferable doofuses.

See also:

qzlikvlq64h3.png

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

See also:
    qzlikvlq64h3.png

I think the original artist might actually have some options here, maybe. NFTs do not contain the actual artwork. They contain a URL. If the URL is pointed at the artist's server and they rename the image, the NFT breaks. If the NFThief is hosting the image, the artist can hit their host with a DMCA infringement notice.

Evil cackling while doing either of these things is optional.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

See also:
    qzlikvlq64h3.png

I think the original artist might actually have some options here, maybe. NFTs do not contain the actual artwork. They contain a URL. If the URL is pointed at the artist's server and they rename the image, the NFT breaks. If the NFThief is hosting the image, the artist can hit their host with a DMCA infringement notice.

Evil cackling while doing either of these things is optional.

Wait, the NFT just points to a URL?

Uhh, are these folks not familiar with link rot?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    They're not familiar with a lot of things

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    This thread runs you through all that.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One day all of this is going to end up being written about in a delightful book that makes tulip mania seem extremely sane and rational.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    tynic wrote: »
    One day all of this is going to end up being written about in a delightful book that makes tulip mania seem extremely sane and rational.

at least when the bottom fell out there you had some nice tulips

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The only thing more ridiculous than that Meta presentation is the fact that Zuck thinks he's the right person for it. Michael Cera couldn't be that awkward if he channeled every on screen character he's ever played all at once.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I don’t know what you mean.

I, Mark, a perfectly normal human CEO, at simply giving you an exciting human presentation.

Please do not mind my bbq sauce bookend.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

seriously

like who on earth did the viz on this
    the lighting is just so incredibly strange and unflattering

zuck is already a weird looking guy, but putting him in weird fake environments with bizarre lighting conditions just makes the entire hour and twenty minute presentation really unsettling

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'd be having more fun laughing at NFT idiots if it wasn't also actively having a negative effect on the lifespan of the planet.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Those shots look like screen grabs from a sci fi themed fmv puzzle game.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    There’s a sliding puzzle on that circular platform outside the window I just know it.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

See also:

qzlikvlq64h3.png

I've stolen your art.

Fuck you.

God these people are the worst.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Those shots look like screen grabs from a sci fi themed fmv puzzle game.

xri0igocovap.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

See also:

qzlikvlq64h3.png

I've stolen your art.

Fuck you.

God that bit at the end. Is he intentionally hitting close to the one of the actual criticisms of NFTs? That you can just save the image of you want a copy, even if you don't """"own"""" it. One of those, so close to the point yet missing it completely things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

See also:

qzlikvlq64h3.png

I've stolen your art.

Fuck you.

is anyone making money off NFTs

• Options
    Much like cryptocurrency and the fine art market, the actual answer is: market manipulation and money laundering.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    There's a face he makes right after saying "...the most important thing: connecting people" and its genuinely terrifying.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Android 12 made the headphone jack on my pixel 4a even quieter and sucky sounding.

What the fuuuuuck Google?

• Options
    Android 12 made the headphone jack on my pixel 4a even quieter and sucky sounding.

uh, that seems weird, are you sure the volume isn't just low? 12 changed some volume slider functionality (ring tone/notification volume isn't tied to media volume and vice versa, they're separate sliders again). also, you're not trying to drive headphones that are some crazy level of ohms from just the headphone jack, since they'll sound pretty quiet from that alone

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Naphtali wrote: »

uh, that seems weird, are you sure the volume isn't just low? 12 changed some volume slider functionality (ring tone/notification volume isn't tied to media volume and vice versa, they're separate sliders again). also, you're not trying to drive headphones that are some crazy level of ohms from just the headphone jack, since they'll sound pretty quiet from that alone

No I'm using the same headphones (cheapish Sony earbuds because this phone can't drive my old hd518s without sounding hollow much less my hd58x jubilees) and have the volume maxed

It's less of a hollow quiet sound though honestly. It sounds like the audio processing is jacked up. Everything is just muddy and garbled. Listening to the new mastodon over my YouTube music subscription. Which sounds great and clear on my PC but that's through an external dac/amp into my hd58x

I would test different earbuds but I only have this pair.

Uriel on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Weirdly I think that the latest Android 12 update made my Pixel 6 sound absolutely barely audible at anything but maximum volume, and even then it can't compete with any semi-loud ambient noise whatsoever. I really hope that this was just an oopsy that they fix quick, because listening to media is like what I use my phone for most.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Just tested YouTube Music on my 4a with my KZN Pros. No problems with audio quality here.

I wasn't listening to Mastodon though.

• Options
    These cheap Sony ones might be dying on me then

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My pixel 3a has very weird sound over the speakers after updating to Android 12 too

But it is three and a half years old, I think, so it might be degrading

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    You folks having android 12 audio issues should try turning on the Accessibility->Sound Amplifier setting, see if that helps.

Naphtali on
This discussion has been closed.