As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, Stuff You Should Know has had a pretty good run, I suppose. Probably a bit late to start a patreon, what with the hacking and all.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hacking?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I feel like almost all marketing metrics are fake and it's kind of wild how they're the backbone of so many industries

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    hacking?

Patron fired their entire security department a week or two ago

• Options
    they did do that a few weeks ago, but they didn't get hacked as far as they have admitted, they said it was just downsizing and outsourcing, they were firing people in general

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    they did do that a few weeks ago, but they didn't get hacked as far as they have admitted, they said it was just downsizing and outsourcing, they were firing people in general

Yeah, the Security Team got let go a couple days before the rest of the layoffs but it did seem to be part of the general reorg.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm looking at getting a router capable of streaming 4k from my PC to my TV and I had never considered that there would be Gamer Routers

Black monoliths, packed full of rainbow LEDs and covered in spikes

cjaysxwu4zd8.png

Look at this, should I be trying to find the Lament Configuration?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at getting a router capable of streaming 4k from my PC to my TV and I had never considered that there would be Gamer Routers

cjaysxwu4zd8.png

That router looks like it's about to flip over and attack me like some kind of spider or crab enemy.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

cjaysxwu4zd8.png

That router looks like it's about to flip over and attack me like some kind of spider or crab enemy.

Like it'd fit in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YejpJgtQtuU

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

cjaysxwu4zd8.png

hX6T331.jpg

don't be afraid of the meccaspiders, they're just hunting for good healthy host bodies that can nourish their larvae

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I hate to link to IFLScience, but I don’t have an alternate link handy.

I’m questioning the wisdom in giving a million dollar grant for the purpose of building a robot that can catch the fastest human alive on foot without breaking a sweat. Kinda feels like we’re just cranking up the difficulty on the apocalypse.

https://www.iflscience.com/robot-wins-world-record-for-100m-sprint-with-time-that-would-embarrass-human-athletes-65514

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The robot would never break a sweat no matter how fast it goes

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, you’re right. Robots don’t really get metaphors.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    There's also the "RGB dark obelisk" that is to support a graphics card that I guess would otherwise just rip itself out of your motherboard because it's so enormous?
    Curated to the needs of the gamers and PC enthusiasts, GeForce RTX 4090 Serious Gaming is bundled with a PCIe 16-pin to 4x PCIe 8-pin adaptor and an all-new premium SG exclusive ARGB Dark Obelisk support stick.

I guess non-serious gamers just have to use a bit of 2x4 to prop it up or something.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumbor%2FrVFi-Ue5kMqtjIaIibz1ZvOfhdA%3D%2F0x0%3A1581x889%2F2000x1333%2Ffilters%3Afocal(791x445%3A792x446)%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fuploads%2Fchorus_asset%2Ffile%2F24043996%2FbzN0hff.png&w=640&q=75

(and I don't know what the box art is meant to tell me but whatever it is, it doesn't make me want to buy it)

SG_BOX01_card_rgb.png

djmitchella on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you could kill somebody w/ that GPU

I mean you could kill somebody with a regular one, but it'd be way easier with a giant metal brick

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    that fucker will take up more than half the available slots in a typical tower and no one thought to themselves, hey are we going too hard. is this too much

no fuck you guys

give em a brace

(to be fair, gpu support brackets have been around for a while, but ya'll, this is a fuckin 4-slot gpu. the fuck.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I’m questioning the wisdom in giving a million dollar grant for the purpose of building a robot that can catch the fastest human alive on foot without breaking a sweat. Kinda feels like we’re just cranking up the difficulty on the apocalypse.

https://www.iflscience.com/robot-wins-world-record-for-100m-sprint-with-time-that-would-embarrass-human-athletes-65514

Cassie is great.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Zxerol wrote: »
    that fucker will take up more than half the available slots in a typical tower and no one thought to themselves, hey are we going too hard. is this too much

no fuck you guys

give em a brace

(to be fair, gpu support brackets have been around for a while, but ya'll, this is a fuckin 4-slot gpu. the fuck.)

I mean, in a standard computer gaming system, what else is using those slots?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

no fuck you guys

give em a brace

I've got a hardware capture card and sound card/amp in mine

Also nice if you want PCIe storage or usb4 as add ins

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Cassie is great.

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong. The tech behind that is amazing and cool as fuck. It’s just gonna be tough to get to the safe house door before she gets you.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Do they make like, breakout boards for pcie to install your card in like a different angle in your case?

• Options
    Do they make like, breakout boards for pcie to install your card in like a different angle in your case?

Yes. They’re somewhat failure prone, but they’re around and they work — usually used for vertical GPU mounts in cases that support that, but it could be arranged anyway you wanted, if you’re up for a bit of modding. You’d just search for “PCIE 16x extension” or something similar and you should find a few options.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

no fuck you guys

give em a brace

In mine? A sound card, a couple of NVMe drives, and I used to have a video capture card.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I don't think that's what a breakout board is, breakout boards are for electrical testing. They do make PCIe breakout boards, but you're asking about like a PCIe male to female cable to extend the connector out of the slot on the board, yeah? I think such things do exist. Yeah they do: https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-RX6900XT-High-Speed-Gen4┃Universal-Compatible/dp/B08XN26DRZ

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Actually I'm pretty sure my PC has something like it. It's a pre built msi thing. The gpu is mounted at the top on the opposite side as the cpu in a weird vertical position.

But hey it works.

• Options
    huh that is a very strange position for a GPU to be mounted, are you sure that's not just a watercooling radiator?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    huh that is a very strange position for a GPU to be mounted, are you sure that's not just a watercooling radiator?

It looks like this
    mp5gnk9zov8y.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2022
    9l16f6x3sq5r.jpg

might have a riser card or ribbon cable, something like that

sometimes used by system integrators at scale because they can use non-standard cases, they also got popular in mining rigs because you don't have to worry as much about clearance or the chassis blocking off airflow to the board, and you can swap them out more easily

Brolo on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Time to just put a CPU on the GPU instead

• Options
    Looking at it I just realized it has a second m.2 slot on the back there under the GPU

Guess ill go looking for another ssd to pop in there eventually

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    You would also see x8 to x16 riser boards. It was common in 1u / 2u servers or for mining.

• Options
    edited September 2022

It looks like this
    mp5gnk9zov8y.jpg

ohhhh I see, the top of the motherboard is facing out the right side instead of the left side like normal so the PCIe slots are above the CPU socket. That makes sense.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The problem with vertical mounts and riser cables is that generally they will still block a lot of access to full sized PCIE slots, both from the cable running where the other cards need to go, and the GPU now occupying the horizontal space for all those cards as well (since they are so fucking huge).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen GPUs with an NVMe slot so they have direct access to game data.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bring back horizontal cases so the motherboard is laid flat. Take that, gravity!
    I guess non-serious gamers just have to use a bit of 2x4 to prop it up or something.

My 3080 is tied to the top of the case with some twine to stop it drooping. It's not even RGB twine, and yet it's holding strong.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen GPUs with an NVMe slot so they have direct access to game data.

AMD did this 7? Years ago in the professional viz space.

Less need in the game space with the push for consumer level RDMA so you have gpu direct reads from drives, and the increased throughput of PCIE4 and 5.

• Options
    LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    At what point does someone decide to design motherboards and cases around the graphics cards rather than have these massive bricks teetering off fragile pci slots whilst crammed awkwardly in tiny cases?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Mounting the graphics card vertically is very much an aesthetic thing. If you're going to do it you're doing it knowing that it's going to block off the rest of the PCI slots for all but the smallest cards.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Some Vietnamese miners have cleaned up their old graphics cards after ETH merge by bathing them with extremely high risk. It's really their cleaning season while waiting for the next GPU-minable 3rd coin. (1/3)

gotta get those GPUs nice and shiny for ebay

Brolo on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is there some easy way.to figure out which internet service providers are available in my area?

This discussion has been closed.