As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6 Billion

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ah that explains why I haven't seen anything about it lol

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah that was really underwhelming. Nothing left me overly excited.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Little Devil Inside today Little Devil Inside todayyy

Oh wow that'd be nice, I'm really hoping it's good.

Sigh still no release date. Looks great though

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Kena: Bridge of Spirits has updated with some fixes and improvements, and most importantly
    1eq0pl6b4u9i.png
    Halloween hats.

3 hidden hats, available til 1st of November.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Most important is you can now see items you’ve already collected on the map, so I might actually bother getting all collectables now

Prohass on
    I found I got the bulk done in my playthrough, and then enjoyed running around enough to backtrack and got the rest.

Definitely a nice QOL feature though.

Still, hats.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm four chapters into Guardians of the Galaxy. It is fantastic! It really puts to shame Avengers.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Upcoming Bugsnax DLC!

https://youtu.be/HAVakaioxRY

Bigger snax! Hats!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well a new star ocean! I certainly was not expecting that.

But also... oh my god those faces.

How could anyone think that's a good idea?

And then the MCs hair along with that face.

Still intrigued but... oof.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm four chapters into Guardians of the Galaxy. It is fantastic! It really puts to shame Avengers.

i really hope the order delayed email i got on my preorder was more "this just won't make it by release day" and less "sorry we sold out all of our copies for a week" - It looks so much fun

I have been convinced to get it. The opening chapter was great to watch, so hopefully fun to play. I am also not bad at platforming like this guy too.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    PS+ games for next month announced and are actually good this time: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/28/playstation-plus-games-for-november-knockout-city-first-class-trouble-kingdoms-of-amalur-re-reckoning/
    • Knockout City (which is also getting a PS5 version at the same time, free upgrade if you already owned the PS4 version)
    • First Class Trouble (hidden role game, PS+ was announced yesterday on the State of Play stream)
    • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
    • The Persistence (PSVR ONLY)
    • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PSVR ONLY)
    • Until You Fall (PSVR ONLY)

edited October 2021
    KoA might be nice to play through again but there's so much on my plate to even think about playing a very average Action RPG.

Walking Dead for PSVR is pretty cool though.

urahonky on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

Yeah, I don't know, that might kill it for me before the game inevitably turns out to be terrible. The SwordBro MC looks terrible. Like....incredibly bad. Original Sonic movie Sonic bad. The rest of them have an unnerving Living Doll look that is just...not great. But some of them look fine in certain angles, like the WhipLady MC. The Mage actually looks normal.

Seriously though, is it impossible to just get an Actually Just Good™ Star Ocean for once?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I no longer fall for Star Ocean's siren song. Every time, it cries out "SPAAAAAAAACE!", and every time they just crash land on the planet Medievalia.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Yeah, I don't know, that might kill it for me before the game inevitably turns out to be terrible. The SwordBro MC looks terrible. Like....incredibly bad. Original Sonic movie Sonic bad. The rest of them have an unnerving Living Doll look that is just...not great. But some of them look fine in certain angles, like the WhipLady MC. The Mage actually looks normal.

Seriously though, is it impossible to just get an Actually Just Good™ Star Ocean for once?

It's also a shame because if you see the art they look so much better. It's just that weird doll with giant tops of heads style that throws it all out of whack.

Also some other info it's doing a split protag thing ala SO2 with decisions that supposedly affect characters that will join you and such.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    KoA might be nice to play through again but there's so much on my plate to even think about playing a very average Action RPG.

Yeah, Saints and Sinners is one of the best VR games around, and plays very well on the PSVR.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've seen some gameplay of Saints and Sinners and it looks dope. I don't have VR though so :shrug:.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It is real rough. Like you might think you're back on the 360 playing it rough.

Also zero work done on the slight changes it needed to not become a stomp fest after the first couple areas.

It basically remains that game where you can see the glimmer of a great game but is dragged down by things just not really working because maths. The complete lack of post launch support is really sad there because it was so close to a very good game.

So take that, then add that all the games you've been playing are ten years more polished/refined and you've got problems.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Yeah I don't remember being particularly invested in it when it came out. I thought it was neat.

Hopefully the next Fable game will be good...

I met the developers of that game and they were really lovely people who genuinely loved RPGs. I feel that if they had ever got the chance to make a sequel it could have been really good. Some of the writing and quests in that game were good, but it was heavily let down by the fact you could easily bypass any challenge in the game by a few hours in and it was very repetitive. It kept me entertained the first time, but I don't have the time or want to play it again.

Aegeri wrote: »
    I met the developers of that game and they were really lovely people who genuinely loved RPGs. I feel that if they had ever got the chance to make a sequel it could have been really good. Some of the writing and quests in that game were good, but it was heavily let down by the fact you could easily bypass any challenge in the game by a few hours in and it was very repetitive. It kept me entertained the first time, but I don't have the time or want to play it again.

Oh yeah I like a lot of what they did but it was a chore. I would absolutely play another game made by them.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I no longer fall for Star Ocean's siren song. Every time, it cries out "SPAAAAAAAACE!", and every time they just crash land on the planet Medievalia.

Yep, same way I feel. They tease space and within the first half hour you crash and the rest of the game takes place in little medieval town world. It's a tease is all it is.

As for Guardians...the story is really good so far. Loving the banter and relationship between the team.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited November 2021
    PS Now for November, small month this time
    • Mafia: Definitive Edition (until February 28th)
    • Totally Reliable Delivery Service
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Celeste

Crippl3 on
    Playing through Uncharted 2 now and that has aged a lot better than Drake's Fortune in terms of gameplay. These big set pieces are a lot of fun!

I have been going through Uncharted 4 and it is terrific.

edited November 2021
    i never had a ps3 or ps4 so i recently played uncharted 1-3, saving 4 for that remaster theyre doing for next gen. 3 was far and away my favourite, it worked so well. The story telling, character stuff, and set pieces knocked it out of the park, and while its still a shooty fest (which i dont mind), it added way more fisticuffs which was wonderful, because they need to go full indiana jones already. Any future uncharteds need to start making like at least 50% of action scenarios involve using the environment and fisticuffs to dispatch enemies, not just shooting, which i still think has a place in the setting, but it needs to be balanced out to lean more heavily into what works in the genre across all mediums. Like I want to be able to throw baddies into machinery and hazards and environmental stuff, with loads more environmental "a few uses then they break" melee weapons

Prohass on
    I really liked being able to handle things stealthy in uncharted and a lot of the fights it's only possible up to a point before it's a forced "go loud" - if I could be Nathan Drake, Ghost Then I'd be in love

Prohass wrote: »
    i never had a ps3 or ps4

I had both of those consoles, and I'm pretty sure got given a copy of Uncharted 2 on PS3 after someone heard how much I enjoyed TLoU, and still somehow managed to never play them before now.

There are actually quite a few big franchises I've just never gotten to - Bioshock, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls.....hell, I haven't played a GTA since just mucking around with cheats in 3 I think it was.

I finally played a Halo last year though! I was actually going to go to Halo 2 after finishing Uncharted 1 and alternate but then there was a 31gb patch to download so Uncharted 2 it was.

edited November 2021
    I really liked being able to handle things stealthy in uncharted and a lot of the fights it's only possible up to a point before it's a forced "go loud" - if I could be Nathan Drake, Ghost Then I'd be in love

While I can see the appeal of this, my go to ideal gameplay should reflect the Indiana Jones adventurer type archetype, and I don’t feel like a complete stealth ghost run suits that vibe. I think sneaking around should definitely be part of it, especially as a way to start encounters, and like there should be rewards to incentivise gathering intel and listening to conversations by npcs, etc, as well as taking out a few guys in secret, but I feel like getting caught and then having to roll with the figurative and literal punches should be the ideal sweet spot.

Basically I don’t want pure guns, or pure stealth, or pure melee, but a good and inventive mix of all of them, where they kind of naturally flow into each other. I think they need to give fewer enemies guns, and mix more set piece changes and environmental opportunities into both shootouts and stealth. So in stealth gameplay you should be able to like cause enemies to fall into traps, throw them overboard, use mechanisms and the environment. And with shootouts you should similarly have more opportunities to like cause scenery to collapse by shooting out support beams, shoot a lever to let like a train run down a track and run over enemies, etc

Prohass on
    I guess that's a better version of what I was thinking of. I definitely played it in the "oh no that went wrong time to adapt" fashion but the games especially toward the end can turn into heavy armored mini gunner rocket fire slogfests which is just the least interesting way to to keep me excited. (Funny enough also why I got really annoyed by the Spiderman DLC campaign)

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's to the series credit that Nathan Drake's character absolutely embodies that level of "Oooohhh shit well I guess this is happening now!". Even the big set pieces where you're just running and jumping while everything falls to pieces around you. Yeah, most games I'd probably restart if I flub up the stealth. But with Drake it feels completely in character to just say "I guess this is happening now!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Plus even if you do sections 100% stealthily they will often put scripted failures in so you have to fight anyway.

edited November 2021
    I guess that's a better version of what I was thinking of. I definitely played it in the "oh no that went wrong time to adapt" fashion but the games especially toward the end can turn into heavy armored mini gunner rocket fire slogfests which is just the least interesting way to to keep me excited. (Funny enough also why I got really annoyed by the Spiderman DLC campaign)

Yeah like I get why it’s easier to just put guys in heavy armour and heavy weapons at the end of games and kind of systemise encounters by enemy types rather than tailoring later encounters with unique opportunities or challenges, but I feel like with linear set piece games like uncharted they really need to focus on the later. Like giving me a unique situation, like say an unstable or atypical environment, hazards, unique behaviours, etc, rather than just giving me 4 guys in heavy armour to fight instead of 1, is always preferable. But it takes extra time and effort to script and produce that kind of content so you can see why so many games don’t manage it.

Prohass on
    Spider-Man is finally coming to Avengers on November 30th alongside the game's first raid, he is still a PS exclusive: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/wtw-week-62

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Spider-Man is finally coming to Avengers on November 30th alongside the game's first raid, he is still a PS exclusive: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/wtw-week-62

They're adding game credits only lootboxes. Don't worry though, there's a mercy if you try 100 times.
    https://youtu.be/WK--S8kuxOI

I'd definitely play that game.. I'm just not interested in paying for that game.

Worth noting they've just gone out and declared the game performed in an underwhelming manner. Only buy into this with the knowledge it's probably going to be abandoned soon.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Worth noting they've just gone out and declared the game performed in an underwhelming manner. Only buy into this with the knowledge it's probably going to be abandoned soon.

Don't forget Anthem took two years to die even though serious problems were evident quickly, and it's possible there's some contractual obligations here. You likely have some time if you really want to dive in. But yeah, the writing's on the wall.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I picked up Avengers for $20 shortly after the Black Panther DLC was released, and so did two of my friends. We definitely got our money's worth, though the game becomes super ultra grindy in an unfun way at the end. While we enjoyed our time with it well enough, if I had paid full price for it and it only had the first campaign I would have been incredibly pissed.

Also the people running the game continually make themselves look like idiots by having a weekly community challenge (defeat x number of a specific enemy) that comes nowhere near to being completed. Right when me and my friends started playing we'd sometimes get close, because a bunch of people got it for $20 or were coming back to play through Black Panther's campaign, but even then not a single one of those community challenges was completed. That last one I saw before we stopped playing the progress bar never even got to 5% complete.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.