As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] God Roll Guns and Flawless Runs; Tons of Fun in the Light of the Sun

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Now you need to stop playing/winning before you ascend to murderpool

Murder pool is turned off this week

Oh wait no I think I understand what you mean

I kind of forgot that its a total wins not card based

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    [
    Peen wrote: »
    Endgame activities are meant to be aspirational, to some degree. I understand why they want Trials to be more approachable but if you want to go flawless get good enough to go flawless, it's what the rest of us have done. If you just want the kit then grind it out, it's possible. Is it fun? Probably not, but nobody's really out there saying that raids need to be easier and at some point it's the same thing with Trials.

Like, high end PvP is the hardest thing in the game and if you want to be successful there you need to practice and get better. I don't want to be an old man ranting about participation medals but honestly it's how I feel sometimes watching this conversation.

*raises hand*

Garden should have been easier.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    [
    Peen wrote: »
    Endgame activities are meant to be aspirational, to some degree. I understand why they want Trials to be more approachable but if you want to go flawless get good enough to go flawless, it's what the rest of us have done. If you just want the kit then grind it out, it's possible. Is it fun? Probably not, but nobody's really out there saying that raids need to be easier and at some point it's the same thing with Trials.

Like, high end PvP is the hardest thing in the game and if you want to be successful there you need to practice and get better. I don't want to be an old man ranting about participation medals but honestly it's how I feel sometimes watching this conversation.

*raises hand*

Garden should have been easier.

It could’ve been less buggy with tethers and motes. That would’ve gone a long way to being easier

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    3 for 3 on solo flawless legend difficulty for each Shattered Realm!

I did the first on my warlock and the second on my hunter, so I decided to try this final one on my titan. Titan would normally be my last choice for this sort of thing, but I hate neglecting my own main. I got it done first try but it was brutal.

I know legend Shattered Realm isn't too appealing for most players, but I'm happy it exists. These were fun personal challenges.

• Options
    I went to check my stats for the week on trials report and uh
    uaqdqc5zp5xp.png

Apparently I'm the Jeff bezos of elo right now, I don't think this will last so I'm saving this for posterity (and once shatter gets nerfed and I have to play "fair" again)

• Options
    Welp, flawless again with @Arteen and @Mustachio Jones

km20bxzz5zdp.jpg

The winning pool is absolutely no joke. We lost 3-4 cards before getting the good one we had, and we still ran into several very stacked teams. If not for mercy and the grace of RNG we knocked the last two teams pretty handily. But my god, this solution is actually terrible.

• Options
    Post flawless match, three guys with 700-1000 flawless each and 3000ish elo

We very much lost

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Post flawless match, three guys with 700-1000 flawless each and 3000ish elo

We very much lost

Assuming maybe 30-45 mins for them to go flawless each time that's a shitload of hours just spent getting to the lighthouse, let alone the investment needed to git that gud. Jeeze.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Being at 6 wins as a solo player is fucking awful this week.

I've had, no joke, 5 matches in a row of 3 randoms vs a 3 stack who went to lighthouse after they anally raped us into the dirt.

After having fun last week, I have no clue what they're doing. I don't think they do, either.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they made a mode that relies on people queuing up to get stomped by players so those other players can go 7-0 and get to the final reward.

it's basically always going to be a disaster.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Videos are starting to come out too, everyone hates it.

https://youtu.be/41y0zdZg9o0

• Options
    Yeah its demonstrably worse this way. Hopefully it goes away quickly as they're still tinkering.

• Options
    I'm happy with no flawless jail but this is functionally the same thing if not worse because you can start feeling the effects day one

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »

I've had, no joke, 5 matches in a row of 3 randoms vs a 3 stack who went to lighthouse after they anally raped us into the dirt.

After having fun last week, I have no clue what they're doing. I don't think they do, either.

Hi, can we maybe not do this?

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah that video is exactly what I was afraid of

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My experience was hopping on to trials at noon, right after my clanmates who started playing exactly at reset finished going flawless back to back. It was the toughest matchmaking I ever encountered, and I immediately wanted out.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Yea, that looks awful.

They really said they're leaving it this way through November?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    rndmhero wrote: »

Yea, that looks awful.

They really said they're leaving it this way through November?

I have hopes they'll just do week 1 style again, since the community no likey this change

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    So this basically killed my motivation to Trials this weekend. A map that encouraged sniping also didn't help, but basically this season went from "fuck yeah, love this may even get the Flawless title!" to "nah, maybe I'll just catch up on sleep."

• Options
    Finally got my 7th win, took half the day. It was terrible.

Trials population is going to nosedive if they keep this.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »

edit this

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, this new Trials system seems to be getting a lot of hate. I was wondering if there was more to it then they said because the idea they presented just seems so obviously flawed. Anyone who almost makes Flawless but misses will see Flawless steadily get more and more out of reach.

I do find it amusing though that what they've kind of kludged together with this new system is a crude kind of skill-based matchmaking. And the result is tons and tons of hate.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    On paper, win-based matchmaking overwhelmingly benefits the casual Trials audience.

The casual players will play their 7 matches for the pinnacle, never resetting their card. The hardcore players trying for flawless will reset their cards, earn more wins overall, and separate themselves out from the casuals.

In practice, this matchmaking system incentivizes 95% of the playerbase to not play Trials, at least until the odds are heavily in their favor. Which means that everyone is playing their first passage of Trials as sweaty as possible, and then just leaving the mode soon after.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The system maybe MAYBE could’ve worked if nobody knew anything about it. Then people played as normal and it could potentially be ok. (People like me would suffer as I legit would grind 20-40 wins out solo over 100 matches some weekends)

I think a weekly reset ELO based system might work? But then you could tank your ELO to exploit it

Or maybe a hybrid of this and flawless jail. This same system but only active after a flawless run. Wins before flawless don’t matter.

But if anyone else has avoided trials this weekend and wants to run one super sweaty cars Monday night let me know

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    The system maybe MAYBE could’ve worked if nobody knew anything about it. Then people played as normal and it could potentially be ok. (People like me would suffer as I legit would grind 20-40 wins out solo over 100 matches some weekends)

I think a weekly reset ELO based system might work? But then you could tank your ELO to exploit it

Or maybe a hybrid of this and flawless jail. This same system but only active after a flawless run. Wins before flawless don’t matter.

But if anyone else has avoided trials this weekend and wants to run one super sweaty cars Monday night let me know

We got 3 Wins earlier. So I will give it a shot with you but beware!!!!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    In good news, me and Timeboxer and Rollsaver played some group Comp last night instead of Trials and it was fun and my MIDA catalyst finally dropped when we won the final game!

And also the first game we got crushed in the opening round so bad it wasn't even funny and Time was like "Uh, Shryke, what rank are you in Comp?" and I'm like "Fabled. What ranks are you two?". And the answer was "Much much less". (that was actually a weirdly sweaty game for Comp though)

shryke on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Is there a reason to think about Power Levels after you hit ~ 1350? GM nightfalls?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    august wrote: »
    Is there a reason to think about Power Levels after you hit ~ 1350? GM nightfalls?

Master Vault of Glass?

GM NF’s have contest mode turned on, you need to be 1345 to get in but any extra levels do nothing. Master VoG I think the extra levels can actually matter some.

ronzo on
  • Options
    ronzo wrote: »

Master Vault of Glass?

GM NF’s have contest mode turned on, you need to be 1345 to get in but any extra levels do nothing. Master VoG I think the extra levels can actually matter some.

Yup. M VOG is literally the only thing where it's gonna really matter.

Honestly if you are already GM ready now, by the time this season comes to an end you will massively outlevel M VOG no matter what unless you just literally don't play at all.

• Options
    Heads up, Ada has Powerful Friends mod available today, everyone who doesn't have it go buy it

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    On paper, win-based matchmaking overwhelmingly benefits the casual Trials audience.

The casual players will play their 7 matches for the pinnacle, never resetting their card. The hardcore players trying for flawless will reset their cards, earn more wins overall, and separate themselves out from the casuals.

In practice, this matchmaking system incentivizes 95% of the playerbase to not play Trials, at least until the odds are heavily in their favor. Which means that everyone is playing their first passage of Trials as sweaty as possible, and then just leaving the mode soon after.

As someone who is extremely casual, I tried Trials for the first time today. I had a pretty good time initially, and got all the seasonal challenges done, which was my goal. But I can't even get past 4 wins... total. Like I'm not even trying for flawless, I can't get past four wins and I've been trying for about an hour. It's not a big deal, but yeah.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Stronghold in GMs is fun and viable, it has fun mod synergy too.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

Stronghold was a go-to for a while when Counterattack was broken good. But it is just a really fun way to play in general sometimes. It has been too long so maybe this is a good excuse to bust it out.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

As someone who is extremely casual, I tried Trials for the first time today. I had a pretty good time initially, and got all the seasonal challenges done, which was my goal. But I can't even get past 4 wins... total. Like I'm not even trying for flawless, I can't get past four wins and I've been trying for about an hour. It's not a big deal, but yeah.

This is me, too. Not even trying or caring about LH, just the rep and win rewards. It wasn't bad until 4 or 5, and then got basically impossible at 6 with every team that beat our random assortment having the "ascends to the Lighthouse" message after the 0-5.

The only way I got my last win was we had a gilded Flawless player who went something like 16-0. That happened after hours of pain.

Considering the numbers showed in their tracking on TWAB from last week, this change is baffling.

• Options
    Bungie remove Dead Cliffs from 6v6 already please for the love of god

How many times will my team have B and C and you chose to spawn me at A in the locker room of death and misery

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bungie remove Dead Cliffs from 6v6 already please for the love of god

How many times will my team have B and C and you chose to spawn me at A in the locker room of death and misery

I used all my luck for a year a couple of weeks ago on Dead Cliffs. We got the A spawn and my entire team of randos went straight to B and not a single person stayed behind to cap.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I didn't get back to trials, mostly because one of the weekly goals is to get the gambit ornament for Ascendancy, which means resetting gambit rank TWICE. I'm no fan of Gambit; I usually play my three matches and get out. After grinding most of the weekend on that one mode, I'm seeing about a rank per day advancement. So that means I should have that ornament with another two weeks of dedicated playtime. I may run out of incentive before then.

I mean play however you want, but it's probably better to just wait until the double rep week rolls around. With a season this long, we probably still have a couple to go.

It's even worse than that. They have no idea what the fuck they're doing with "Streaks". They are just the continuous games of gambit you've played without doing anything else. The best way to grind out Gambit ranks is, by far, to wait for one of those double Gambit weeks and then just sit and play for like forty games doing nothing but occasionally hitting the tower to empty out inventory. Then don't bother touching it ever again.

It is a horrible experience that just feels bad top to bottom.

They did the same thing with Strikes. I like strikes and I still have only hit one reset. Knowing that dropping in and playing a strike because I have like 15 minutes to kill is the worse way to get rep just really hurts it. Streaks should break for shitty behaviors and basically only that.
    This week is Vanguard bonus week so I literally played strikes non-stop all weekend long and got the blasted ornament.

Look, I *like* playing Destiny. I think it's fun. But if you wanted to actively make me NOT want to play it, this is how you do it. I got the challenge done (for the strike ornament) and I'm thinking I may not do that pinnacle for the rest of this season if I can avoid it.

Interestingly, I got the Crucible ornament without trying. Iron Banner weeks make me grind out rep without noticing. I think I'm heading towards my third or possibly fourth Crucible reset this season already, and I'm actually looking forward to four more pinnacle rewards next week.

26904.png
  • Options
    I didn't get back to trials, mostly because one of the weekly goals is to get the gambit ornament for Ascendancy, which means resetting gambit rank TWICE. I'm no fan of Gambit; I usually play my three matches and get out. After grinding most of the weekend on that one mode, I'm seeing about a rank per day advancement. So that means I should have that ornament with another two weeks of dedicated playtime. I may run out of incentive before then.

I mean play however you want, but it's probably better to just wait until the double rep week rolls around. With a season this long, we probably still have a couple to go.

It's even worse than that. They have no idea what the fuck they're doing with "Streaks". They are just the continuous games of gambit you've played without doing anything else. The best way to grind out Gambit ranks is, by far, to wait for one of those double Gambit weeks and then just sit and play for like forty games doing nothing but occasionally hitting the tower to empty out inventory. Then don't bother touching it ever again.

It is a horrible experience that just feels bad top to bottom.

They did the same thing with Strikes. I like strikes and I still have only hit one reset. Knowing that dropping in and playing a strike because I have like 15 minutes to kill is the worse way to get rep just really hurts it. Streaks should break for shitty behaviors and basically only that.
    This week is Vanguard bonus week so I literally played strikes non-stop all weekend long and got the blasted ornament.

Look, I *like* playing Destiny. I think it's fun. But if you wanted to actively make me NOT want to play it, this is how you do it. I got the challenge done (for the strike ornament) and I'm thinking I may not do that pinnacle for the rest of this season if I can avoid it.

Interestingly, I got the Crucible ornament without trying. Iron Banner weeks make me grind out rep without noticing. I think I'm heading towards my third or possibly fourth Crucible reset this season already, and I'm actually looking forward to four more pinnacle rewards next week.

Vanguard rep is by far the worst. Crucible is easy peasy. Just doing IB or Trials you will easily reset a few times without even thinking about it. Gambit you gotta work a bit more at but still. Strikes is like ... no one in their normal play pattern actually runs a dozen strikes in a row. And the rep vs time investment feels WAY off. I still haven't reset mine for a second time. I don't even think I'm half way to the second reset.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Stronghold was a go-to for a while when Counterattack was broken good. But it is just a really fun way to play in general sometimes. It has been too long so maybe this is a good excuse to bust it out.

I have been having excellent luck with the new stasis mods and a Stronghold build. You can give yourself charged with light and stasis elemental wells and ability regeneration and all sorts of other advantages by running a few pieces of stasis armor.

I've had really good luck running a void class item for the overshield finisher mod, let's you use a finisher to get out of hairy situations or just stay aggressive if you're swording.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    A surprise 3rd flawless with @PotatoNinja with aid from the great Timeboxer (whom wasn't on the same wins as us)
    n83uv2z2u8a8.jpg