As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] God Roll Guns and Flawless Runs; Tons of Fun in the Light of the Sun

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I think in general Bungie was gonna have a tough time with Solar Warlock redesign because it just had so much shit hanging off of it and much of it very strong in completely different parts of the game and well liked by the people who used it.

Of course, they threaded this needle by focusing on making sure the PvP portion of the kit survived and hoping for the best on everything else.

shryke on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I wish sunspots were another verb that all classes could play around with, just for some more design variety.

As it is, solar subclasses can heal and they can make things explode. Both of which void already does with much less effort.

shrykePeenForever Zefiro
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Here’s what I would have done for Solar warlock: icarus dash is a 4th, zero fragment aspect with two charges, and then they get a new, full 3rd fragment
    ronzo wrote: »
    Also nothing solar seemed particularly bad to me but maybe people haven't figured it out quite yet

The main points for why warlocks are upset are:
    - bottom tree is basically gone, very hard to make chain explosions now.
    - Middle tree feedback loop is busted, partially because one of the fragments is bugged (benevolence), and without the overshield well of radiance is pretty lackluster
    - Icarus Dash and Heat rises are two separate aspects for some reason.

If you’re a big TTD fan, you’re fine. If you liked either of the other two subclasses on Solar warlock, you’re in a worse place than you were on Monday.

Edit: as a whole, the scorch/ignite interactions probably need tweaking.

For what it's worth, as a warlock main, it's not all bad.

The new grenade focused aspect is very, very strong on every option i've tried. Fusion Grenades in particular stand out as being monstrously good right now in PvE and there's already videos of hilarious warlock shennagins using Starfire protocol to fuck up bosses real good. Well of Radiance is still actually very good, it's just not blatantly broken like it was.

Icarus Dash and Heat Rises being separate are.. well, not the most fun (Honestly, in bungies shoes i'd have combined them into one and made the dashes condtional on eating your grenade. This would fuck off pvp warlock mains, but i believe you could rebalance around it and it'd probably be healthier for the game). Bungie has at least indicated they're listening to feedback. Icarus dash needs something for PvE to make it useful, though the new warlock exotic is at least a very strong argument due to Shennagins.

Def not without flaws, but like i said, it's not all bad.

Solar Hunter is amazing though and huge fun.

Oh yeah I’m not saying it’s bad at all, especially PvP wise.

It just….doesn’t feel as good to play middle tree supportlock as it did last week.

There’s a lot of stuff they can tweak to make it all feel better, and that will help Titan out a bit too. But Icarus dash being it’s own fragment isn’t really correctable until 2 seasons from now, outside of giving it a 3rd fragment slot or something.

shryke
    Arteen wrote: »
    I wish sunspots were another verb that all classes could play around with, just for some more design variety.

As it is, solar subclasses can heal and they can make things explode. Both of which void already does with much less effort.

Yeah, solar feels like it's got very few mechanics/keywords tied to it. Which feels really noticeable after void which honestly felt like it had too many mechanics/keywords. (debuffs AND overshields AND explosions AND self-heal AND invisiblity AND ability cooldown schenanigans AND etc) I'm starting to think they gave void too much since it was the first one worked on and came to solar and were like "Uh, so what now? More explosions? What else is there?".

I actually expected sunspots to be something they leaned into hard because they are interesting and very distinct from what other elements can do.

Peen wrote: »
    Yeah the scorch/ignite mechanic is pretty opaque to me right now. I understand how it works in theory, it's not like it's complicated, but I had a Vanguard bounty to kill targets with ignition and did four strikes with liberal use of the new warlock finger-snap melee and other solar shenanigans and the bounty was sitting at a robust 0% completed. Nothing lives long enough to get enough scorch stacks to die to the ignition and once you've used one ability to apply scorch stacks how exactly are you supposed to apply more to get the ignition, wait for your ability to come back? Use a gun with incandescent, that kills the mook on its own because it's a gun? I'm honestly having a hard time figuring it out.

It feels like a finnickier and more opaque version of volatile that it's not actually clear when you are using it does more damage.

In general it feels very hard to stack scorch without a bunch of ability spam combos and it's hard to tell when an ignite happens.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah the scorch/ignite mechanic is pretty opaque to me right now. I understand how it works in theory, it's not like it's complicated, but I had a Vanguard bounty to kill targets with ignition and did four strikes with liberal use of the new warlock finger-snap melee and other solar shenanigans and the bounty was sitting at a robust 0% completed. Nothing lives long enough to get enough scorch stacks to die to the ignition and once you've used one ability to apply scorch stacks how exactly are you supposed to apply more to get the ignition, wait for your ability to come back? Use a gun with incandescent, that kills the mook on its own because it's a gun? I'm honestly having a hard time figuring it out.

u need to get in touch with r kelly

obF2Wuw.png
    Dyvim Tvar
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I had big plans for solar lock in pvp but I struggled so hard I reverted back to my hunter. The change for how heal nades work is a big part of it for me. I used to love mid tree and toss out rifts abs nades like crazy and the recharge rate was so good I’d be able to use my nades offensively then occasionally throw a heal out to get the buff back or start a fight with over shield or insta heal after a kill/retreat

But with no choice between heal or damage nade there’s just too many times I want to have an actual damaging nade to finish an enemy or deny a lane and it just doesn’t feel good to not have that choice

616610-1.png
    shryke
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The new Warlock exotic (Fusion Rifle kills make you Radiant for 8 seconds and Icarus Dash reloads all guns) is pretty fun with Mythoclast, Stacks on Stacks, Solar Siphon, Quick Charge and High Energy Fire, just fire Mythoclast forever and everything dies.

Just remember to swap to Void subclass even though you lose out on Solar 3.0 (eh) and the Air dodge reload because Devour is infinitely better.

Sirialis on
    Arteenshryke
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The only way I've found to reliably progress the Ignition bounties is to use dashhammer and/or consecration as a Titan, as both trigger ignition without needing full scorch stacks. Trying to actually stack scorch in a regular strike is futile. It may be easier in higher tier NF's, but you're also much more likely to be running a different specialized build in those.

They are a pain to the point where I frankly just ignore them and grab a rando bounty instead because trying to complete the ignition ones is really frustrating, much like volatile was with void. Either Bungie expects these to be easier or is perfectly happy with a frustrating bounty.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    TamerBill
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    The new Warlock exotic (Fusion Rifle kills make you Radiant for 8 seconds and Icarus Dash reloads all guns) is pretty fun with Mythoclast, Stacks on Stacks, Solar Siphon, Quick Charge and High Energy Fire, just fire Mythoclast forever and everything dies.

Just remember to swap to Void subclass even though you lose out on Solar 3.0 (eh) and the Air dodge reload because Devour is infinitely better.

damn, I need to go and grind more VoG for mythoclast now don't I

GnomeTank
    Maybe if we're lucky Bungie silently fixed the bad luck protection the way they did for 1KV and you can actually get Mythoclast to drop now.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited May 2022
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Maybe if we're lucky Bungie silently fixed the bad luck protection the way they did for 1KV and you can actually get Mythoclast to drop now.

I still didnt get Eyes of Tomorrow even after running it a bunch after Bungie added their bad luck protection, so dont hope for too much, I guess.

My friend got Mythoclast during the single run of VoG in Destiny 2 he ever did… He also got Mythoclast during his 2nd or 3rd run in Destiny 1.

Sirialis on
    I got 1KV the one and only time I did the queens walk (after farming three keys off Riven)...so yeah. It can happen.

Local H Jay
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I only did riven like 2-3 times and I have 1KV

And literally all the other raid exotics

Still dont have Tarrabah either, despite running it weekly back then.

Bungies constant reliance on pure RNG is dogshit.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm at 35 Vow of the Disciple completions with no raid exotic.

It's the longest I've gone without a raid exotic. But considering the exotic itself, I'd rather be unlucky on this one that the other raid exotics.

Forever Zefiro
    edited May 2022
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'm at 35 Vow of the Disciple completions with no raid exotic.

It's the longest I've gone without a raid exotic. But considering the exotic itself, I'd rather be unlucky on this one that the other raid exotics.

You can have mine, I dont think I’ve fired that gun even once.

Sirialis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i unironically think the only exotic weapons ive used in this game are fighting lion and wish-ender i dont even know if i have any others

obF2Wuw.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    It would be nice if there was a more obvious indication of how high an enemy's scorch stacks were. A glow that changes color? Red < Yellow < Purple/Blue?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to use wish ended in glory but none of my energy 120 hc feel as good as my QuickDraw iron grip steady hand. I have some good quick draw trials 120 but I don’t feel nearly as good with them

616610-1.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    apparently the scorch damage numbers turn to yellow crit numbers once they hit high enough stacks? That's what I've heard from Datto

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Found a good grove with my Warlock and Solar once I swapped my usual Ophidians for Sunbracers.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Honestly my warlock build so far is using Dawn Chorus for the super damage, fusion grenades for the double explosions, and the "solar wells give you grenade energy" mods. The mods generating those wells being grenade kills and explosive kills.

It doesn't quite have that awesome feeling voidlock does, but it's a suitable enough neutral build that I can get by with it when I need to be solar.

Double fusion grenade explosions are pretty fun in Crucible.

edited May 2022
    wait u can just say u dont want a well any more

hell fucking yeah thats a huge buff and i can replace it with phoenix dive? jorts

can u make scorch happen with gun's (or gun accessorie's)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    https://youtu.be/bW9pUz0IgZg
    Okay that Ace of Spades always has radar up even when stunned by Gemini Jesters is p cool

do guns have 3 perks now

do i have to do the witch queen thing

im just gonna shot gun

obF2Wuw.png
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Warlock snap builds are pretty fun, ahamkaras, heavy handed, melee well maker, elemental charge, and some of the in-air fragments/aspects. I'm just snapping through dudes, even without eating a grenade for heat rises I can usually get like 4 snaps off during a glide, and if enemy density is high enough I land with full melee energy.

Kanden on
    lad's what the fuk is a glaive

obF2Wuw.png
    PreacherDyvim Tvar
    lad's what the fuk is a glaive

Stabby stick go brr
    https://youtu.be/eVwBB6l2bxA
    Protip is to hold down the block button so you can spam single strikes rather than do the long combo it wants you to do

edited May 2022
    seems a bit suspect im not sure its been hammered and folded 10,000+ times im sticking to my katena (cool)

dude the synth bass bass in this alice in wonderland garden is kinda nasty savathun paid some moog engineer a lot for this

do u think the hive go for modular analogue or is this just a softsynth piped thru an fx chain idk they seem kinda sus

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    wait u can just say u dont want a well any more

hell fucking yeah thats a huge buff and i can replace it with phoenix dive? jorts

can u make scorch happen with gun's (or gun accessorie's)

You can make scorch happen with Prometheus Lens, Skyburner's Oath and I guess the Jotunn with the catalyst?

And there's a new gun perk that scorches dudes standing around the dude you just killed with the gun.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    This campaign mission to go to the tower and talk to Zavala is the toughest mission in the entire campaign so far.

Dyvim Tvar
    edited May 2022
    this savathun lady wilding letting me clown her so much she is NOT building respect how about u savathunk about what u doin wrong and get back to me

seems lazy all these hive dudes had to do was shoot the dinklebot and u die 4eva

the ultimate twist would have been for u to fight urself accompanied by dinklebot and its like o no ur just a copy dinklebot still the og and u join forces to defeat everybody who is trying to shrink the size of pizza the world over

a clone of the original guardian given false memories so u forget the true ghost... rip2dinkle...

EDIT: is doing the new light campaign necessary to make some modern quests work properly? i have some weird buggy quests rn

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Dyvim Tvar
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    seems lazy all these hive dudes had to do was shoot the dinklebot and u die 4eva

No no, it's got to be a magic bullet, which they just didn't bother to show the only time a good Guardian dies onscreen.
    EDIT: is doing the new light campaign necessary to make some modern quests work properly? i have some weird buggy quests rn

There is some general weirdness with this season change over. I don't think the New Light campaign would necessarily fix any of it. I haven't heard of any real reason for veteran players to do the New Light stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Watching that lubrae's clip above made me bust it out again and uh yeah, Swashbuckler Lubrae's is just so so fun
    https://youtu.be/9p0BGNxd79g

shrykePeen
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So, late to the party I guess but I never bought deluxe edition of WQ, so I never had Osteo Striga. Well, they added it to the weapon crafting table. And I never actually crafted anything, so I had a ton of materials lying around.

For reference, I usually run Thorn + Necro in day to day, running around PvE play.

Figured why not. Made the thing and got it to level 10 today running around doing the Leviathan event for its catalyst. So, Osteo + Necro.

What. The. Hell.

It's Thorn/Necro, but tracking. And rapid fire. With maxed range. And reloads on poison kills. AND OVERFILLS. Running around with 100 bullets exploding the world.

Raynaga on
    Peen
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's pretty great! Necro/osteo in combo with incinerator snap is a great time on warlock, you can do some real mean bullshit with that combo.

It's not as insanely strong as Starfire Fusions + Osteo/thorn/wither/monarq is but it's a very powerful fuck every add ever approach that also gets strong boss DPS thanks to the necrotic/osteo interactions

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    is there really no kinetic glaive?

that makes it unusable because its in the fighting lion slot bangol plso

obF2Wuw.png
    Dyvim Tvar
    109vd21b5m6c.png

something has gone terribly wrong

obF2Wuw.png
    PeenLocal H JayCptHamilton
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Greetings! I have returned to Destiny, lured by the promise of an upgrade to Titan throwy hammers! I know it's not meta and probably not super effective but it's fun (to me) and that's (arguably) why we play these games, right?

EDIT: Whilst I was away from Destiny, I had an opportunity to buy a Rock Band setup. I mention this because, as a rhythm game, Rock Band relies on millisecond accuracy and has a built in lag measurement tool. Turns out my setup has a bit more than 350ms of delay between what is happening on my console CPU and what I am seeing and reacting to. That's not counting internet lag, which is ~200ms if I am peered with a US based server. So as it turns out I'm a solid 1/2 a second behind the action! (Which kinda explains why I almost always feel like I'm pressing the buttons just a fraction-of-a-second too slowly.)

Anyway, step one was to go through the entire Beyond Light campaign for the second time ever since I'd only done it once on my Warlock. It was frustrating the first time and the second time was... still frustrating. Being literally forced to use this ability that you have barely unlocked and only operates at minimal efficiency and go through moderately difficult content while getting 40 kills using something that hasn't unlocked yet is one of the most annoying parts of this game. Just poorly implemented on sooo many levels.

Plus I've already settled in to my Solar 3.0 build that literally lights everything on fire and then I just stand around while they all burn to death without me doing anything. Which suits me just fine since I miss most of the shots I take anyway. (see edit above)

Step two was to blast out all of the pinnacle/powerful rewards that I could solo in a reasonable amount of time. News flash: I still suck at PvP and competitive mode has only gotten much more sweaty. Managed to get seven round wins in "only" five full games (that's 20 rounds played). Still sitting on some of the harder ones, like 100k nightfall score and all of the dungeon and raid rewards, but those aren't a good time investment for climbing the powerful ladder.

Step three was to start the Witch Queen campaign. For some crazy reason I thought I'd give it a shot on the "Legendary" difficulty and having finished the first two missions... it doesn't seem too bad? I mean yeah, there's some spots that have been close, but generally I'm able to handle most of it. I started the third mission "The Ghosts" last night but it was a school night and I had to bail out early.

Stupid on

26904.png