As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] God Roll Guns and Flawless Runs; Tons of Fun in the Light of the Sun

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Stupid wrote: »
    I haven't engaged with weapon crafting at all. The only weapons I'm even remotely interested are just random drops to unlock, and you need 5 of them so it's like waiting for paint to dry in a rainstorm. The only crafted weapon I have is the "free" glaive you get at the start of the Witch Queen and it's level 3 only because I was required to level it up slightly to progress something.

Maybe I'm missing something about why it is supposed to be good?

You get basically exactly the weapon you want. Plus, that glaive? It's kinda bonkers in melee once you put the right perks on for regen etc. 2-3 shots majors while stunning 'em no problem, gives you health regen in the process, and the combos move you into melee a bit so you can just smack the shit out of things. Surrounded by Hive? <Rorschach.gif>

I'm unlocking one of the kinetic scouts right now, because yes please fully automatic (okay from mod fine) kinetic scout with explosions and something else I forgot.

Edit: Unrelated to the preceding, if anyone's needing a good way to unlock the catalyst on their Riskrunner, boy can I recommend the Beyond Light campaign! HFS. One evening.

dporowski on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    My issue just jumping in now is a) not knowing what to care about leveling b) the unlocks past the initial few seem far apart and random as hell.

So I’ve got like lvl 8 syncopations, enigma, palmyra, lvl 1 everything else and it’s just like “well I hope the first 3 unlocks they gave me are good”

Also I just got a quest to craft two guns I haven’t gotten access to yet so that’s gonna be in the log for a while I guess

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    My issue just jumping in now is a) not knowing what to care about leveling b) the unlocks past the initial few seem far apart and random as hell.

So I’ve got like lvl 8 syncopations, enigma, palmyra, lvl 1 everything else and it’s just like “well I hope the first 3 unlocks they gave me are good”

Also I just got a quest to craft two guns I haven’t gotten access to yet so that’s gonna be in the log for a while I guess

Oh those come from Wellspring, there's a rotation where each gun has its own day to drop. Once you know when to run it, it's not honestly so bad.

As for leveling what, the only thing I've leveled I care about is the starting glaive, and Osteo Striga. I'd just say level the gun you like if you find one; I'm going for the two craftable scouts because they can roll up with perks I rather like--Explosive Munitions and Adaptive Munitions--and I liked how they played.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I think the only craftable items I've really gone after are seasonal ones where I know I can get red bar versions rom focusing

I was ALSO stumped by that investigation board quest to craft guns, I didn't realize at all they were from wellspring.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Fell at the gates twice this weekend, just too brutal

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I want to level up my shotgun so that I can make use of enhanced one-two. I'm sad that I missed the glory of the extended duration tho

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I’ve been running around with liars handshake, deadly reach arc hunter, one-two punch and tractor cannon and I’m so excited for arc 3.0

Next time we raid I’m trying it the whole time even if I get kicked to death in the process

616610-1.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Finally updated the Discord link in the OP. Apologies for the delay. I really need to clean up the OP generally, as some of the stuff there (Pax Chardcadia, for example, and the process to join/contacts/links) is outdated and therefore incorrect.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I’ve been running around with liars handshake, deadly reach arc hunter, one-two punch and tractor cannon and I’m so excited for arc 3.0

Next time we raid I’m trying it the whole time even if I get kicked to death in the process

Liars Handshake + Top Tree Arcstrider just stomps shit in gambit. You can run around punching everything to death. The only thing that takes more then 2 punches is the 15 mote blockers.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    dporowski wrote: »
    I haven't engaged with weapon crafting at all. The only weapons I'm even remotely interested are just random drops to unlock, and you need 5 of them so it's like waiting for paint to dry in a rainstorm. The only crafted weapon I have is the "free" glaive you get at the start of the Witch Queen and it's level 3 only because I was required to level it up slightly to progress something.

Maybe I'm missing something about why it is supposed to be good?

You get basically exactly the weapon you want. Plus, that glaive? It's kinda bonkers in melee once you put the right perks on for regen etc. 2-3 shots majors while stunning 'em no problem, gives you health regen in the process, and the combos move you into melee a bit so you can just smack the shit out of things. Surrounded by Hive? <Rorschach.gif>

I'm unlocking one of the kinetic scouts right now, because yes please fully automatic (okay from mod fine) kinetic scout with explosions and something else I forgot.

Edit: Unrelated to the preceding, if anyone's needing a good way to unlock the catalyst on their Riskrunner, boy can I recommend the Beyond Light campaign! HFS. One evening.
    I guess my issue is that I already get everything I need/want from non-crafted weapons, and the things I specifically want simply aren't there... or least I don't see how to get them.

Between the changes to Resilience and Loreley Splendor, healing has become a non-issue. I have to do something pretty silly to die in PvE these days - I found myself just face-tanking a champion Ogre last night and reloading while standing in the eye-beam without a care in the world - so defensive weapons like a glaive or a sword holds zero attraction. (I still get one-shotted in PvP All. The. Time. though!)

Solar 3.0 changes to the mini-hammer give me more or less unlimited semi-range powered melee (assuming I don't whiff and throw the stupid thing off the map - and even if that happens, the recent changes to unpowered solar melee is still pretty good). If the melee kills my target, it makes a Sunspot which provides PBAE and clears anything else that was stacked up on me. With mods, powered melee hits create two solar wells (every 15 seconds) that track right back to me (if I wasn't right next to my target) - the wells recharge my grenade and / or super. And if it's just an overwhelming number of enemies, Loreley gives me 10 seconds of near invincibility to recover.

Really the biggest thing I'm looking for in a gun these days is a fast firing weapon with Incandescent. Using a glaive means giving up Strident Needle / Staccato ... which goes right back to my original point: "The only weapons I'm even remotely interested are just random drops to unlock, and you need 5 of them so it's like waiting for paint to dry in a rainstorm."

I'm still hunting a Strident Needle with Archer's Tempo + Incandescent but that's kinda a 'first world problem' (and it's not craftable).

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    I mean if I'm gonna be using a Tears of Contrition anyway, may as well make sure mine's got exactly the perks I want? (Triple Tap/Explosive Payload, both at the enhanced version.) I've got one that's Explosive, but no Triple Tap, and IDK, it could be nicer?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I played a bit of trials on Friday and hated it, it was petty miserable 4-4 run where I got nowhere close to the lightbouse. My teammates, who are pretty good, kept playing on without me and said matchmaking didn’t get any better later in the night.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I ran into two different teams last night with someone 3000+ elo (which if you don't know is Way Too Much Elo)

• Options
    I had weird bugs with crucible matches not counting today for the weekly challenge so i ended up doing 9-10 just to get 3 in.

It did not help that i was trying to get witherhoard kills for it's unlock quest. (95 more woo)

but I feel really bad in pvp right now. I don't know how much is having much lower stats/missing mods/weapon options, how much is being worse after time away, other factors. but I was being consistently 1-2 shot all day when it took me many pulse bursts to actually kill someone.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    We played some great matches, getting wins on that Destiny Tracker put us at 16% and 10% chance to win. Followed by playing the worst Trials I've played in ages and falling at the gates. Whoops.

Javelin is a good map, but top players have gotten real good at it. Especially on PC. The matches get very standoffish and tedious.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    shryke wrote: »

Liars Handshake + Top Tree Arcstrider just stomps shit in gambit. You can run around punching everything to death. The only thing that takes more then 2 punches is the 15 mote blockers.

Yeah with one-two punch, well of ion and melee well maker it’s even more ridiculous. I’m always torn between trinity ghoul for massive add clear or now using tractor cannon to add to the ridiculous single target damage

I just wish the super wasn’t utterly useless. Hopefully arc 3.0 helps that

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    I got a Trinity Ghoul drop the other night.. I don't get it, how's it get you massive add clear? Chain lightning I assume? I didn't have much luck proccing it it felt like, and the triple arrows seemed to make precision shots harder. Am I missing something? (I really want to like/use the bows more than I am...)

Course to use it I'd have to pry my Skyburner's out of my greedy fists, and oh hell no. I love that thing.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I got a Trinity Ghoul drop the other night.. I don't get it, how's it get you massive add clear? Chain lightning I assume? I didn't have much luck proccing it it felt like, and the triple arrows seemed to make precision shots harder. Am I missing something? (I really want to like/use the bows more than I am...)

Course to use it I'd have to pry my Skyburner's out of my greedy fists, and oh hell no. I love that thing.

Be an arc subclass and it becomes much better. You get an arc kill then your next shot spreads a big chain lightning burst. The secret here is to pick your targets. Killing on level or below red bar hordes? It's amazing. There are a bunch of areas in VoG where you can easily do a two person job with that bow. What it sucks at (sort of) is yellow bars. You're just going to to waste your zappy charge and feel disappointed.... unless there is a red bar next to the yellow. Then it is back to fun times.

To pull off precision shots you need to fully draw the bow. Then you'll get almost now variation between the arrows. If you under pull or hip fire then they spread way out. I basically never do that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    There's a catalyst to make trinity ghoul proc from any arc damage, rather than only precision hits.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    There's a catalyst to make trinity ghoul proc from any arc damage, rather than only precision hits.

Yeah. It was kinda cute before the catalyst. With the catalyst it's a fucking beast at add clear until stuff gets really tanky.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah with one-two punch, well of ion and melee well maker it’s even more ridiculous. I’m always torn between trinity ghoul for massive add clear or now using tractor cannon to add to the ridiculous single target damage

I just wish the super wasn’t utterly useless. Hopefully arc 3.0 helps that

The super is really good though. It's crazy high single-target damage or add-clear. The biggest issue is it's grounded. Although with the meatball boss gone in Gambit that's no longer a major issue. Switch to Raiden Flux when you wanna pop your super and you will just dumpster things.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Legendary Lost Sectors: "Ooh a reward if you solo".

Well, that's less dumb than the dungeon, but also completely idiotic.

Edit: Seriously, the pitch I got was "no it's way friendlier to solo players" but I'm getting the feeling that all the solo activities are intended for people who "want challenge", aka "utter masochists".

dporowski on
  • Options
    I currently have 5 quest markers on the throne world which looks silly. I don’t know why it doesn’t consolidate that to just one marker or even a number + marker like it does for other attention icons

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Edit: Seriously, the pitch I got was "no it's way friendlier to solo players" but I'm getting the feeling that all the solo activities are intended for people who "want challenge", aka "utter masochists".

lost sectors are designed to be soloed

dungeons are designed to be able to be soloed, but it's certainly not how they expect many players to experience it

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

dungeons are designed to be able to be soloed, but it's certainly not how they expect many players to experience it

This is not designed "to be soloed". This is designed to be able to be soloed but not at the level they suggest, and only with a particular loadout and set of items. It's likely designed for people who entered this season maxed, with every item in the game.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

This is not designed "to be soloed". This is designed to be able to be soloed but not at the level they suggest, and only with a particular loadout and set of items. It's likely designed for people who entered this season maxed, with every item in the game.

It's designed to be soloed. There is no reason to do legendary/master lost sectors other then to get new exotics and/or farm them. They are specifically made as mini-dungeons for one person.

You definitely need to watch your loadout though because of Champs and shields and the like. But they are doable even under the recommended level if you know what you are doing in that kind of content. It's not meant to be faceroll easy. There's plenty of other stuff to do that is if you want. Basically all matchmaking-enabled content is designed to be extremely easy.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Legendary lost sectors actually aren't too bad as long as:
    1. you have plenty of time, and
    2. you go glacially slow.
    I typically finish them in 40 to 75 minutes depending on the general difficulty of that particular lost sector, and how well (or not) the seasonal mods interact with my personal playstyle. I've gotten flawless on a couple of them but usually I die 2-3 times in the first room that you are dropped into. Once past that meat grinder, I slow WAY DOWN and can pick off everything from range. Pay no attention to the countdown timer. Note that after 15 minutes, you get no rez, so you're pretty much forced into never dying. Play safe, always be in cover and cheese everything! Going in under the required power level CAN be done, but it really is an exercise in frustration. Some of them are just non-starters (for me) since the first room is just too brutal.

You're pretty much forced to use the proper mods for champs though. Maybe some people just bully through them, but I am not good enough to do that. I have to plink them down a bit at a time. Choosing the right elements makes a HUGE difference. If you have any guns with adaptive munitions, use those!

There is a nice Ogma PR3 on Banshee today with adaptive munitions + turnabout that is (in my mind) a lost sector "I win" gun. Adaptive ramps up the damage against non-matching shields, and then when you pop the shield you get an overshield yourself! Of course that assumes you don't hate pulse rifles. lol

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I typically finish them in 40 to 75 minutes depending on the general difficulty of that particular lost sector, and how well (or not) the seasonal mods interact with my personal playstyle. I've gotten flawless on a couple of them but usually I die 2-3 times in the first room that you are dropped into. Once past that meat grinder, I slow WAY DOWN and can pick off everything from range. Pay no attention to the countdown timer. Note that after 15 minutes, you get no rez, so you're pretty much forced into never dying. Play safe, always be in cover and cheese everything! Going in under the required power level CAN be done, but it really is an exercise in frustration. Some of them are just non-starters (for me) since the first room is just too brutal.

You're pretty much forced to use the proper mods for champs though. Maybe some people just bully through them, but I am not good enough to do that. I have to plink them down a bit at a time. Choosing the right elements makes a HUGE difference. If you have any guns with adaptive munitions, use those!

There is a nice Ogma PR3 on Banshee today with adaptive munitions + turnabout that is (in my mind) a lost sector "I win" gun. Adaptive ramps up the damage against non-matching shields, and then when you pop the shield you get an overshield yourself! Of course that assumes you don't hate pulse rifles. lol

How do you not have a timer? I have a timer. And not a long one, either. I'd wager that's a good 60% of my annoyance/frustration, apart from the intermittent "lol u ded" because 2 Vandals across the level synced up their sniper shots and burned a revive. If I could just carefully pick at the edges, then sure, okay. But I'm on a clock here, maybe 15m worth.

Edit: And for clarity, this is after me clearing it a few times. But speed runs against near-instant death from enemies while hoping the barrier servitors don't just fuck off to another room isn't... Good.

dporowski on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    As long as you can run the right (matched shield damage type/champ mods) load out the Lost Sectors are fairly trivial.

I could see where if you don't have a deep bank for the gear mix and match it could get frustrating, though. Not everyone has 400+ guns of every type and element vaulted.

EDIT: On that timer post, the OP totally does have that timer. Once you go past the darkness envelops you stuff it doesn't instant-end, it cuts off your rezzes. So the OP is saying forget the timer, just don't die. Which seems like questionable advice when it's possible to get random one-shot by many of the bosses which would result in starting completely over.

Raynaga on
  • Options

How do you not have a timer? I have a timer. And not a long one, either. I'd wager that's a good 60% of my annoyance/frustration, apart from the intermittent "lol u ded" because 2 Vandals across the level synced up their sniper shots and burned a revive. If I could just carefully pick at the edges, then sure, okay. But I'm on a clock here, maybe 15m worth.

Edit: And for clarity, this is after me clearing it a few times. But speed runs against near-instant death from enemies while hoping the barrier servitors don't just fuck off to another room isn't... Good.
    Sure, there's a 15 min timer for everyone.

I'm just saying, if you go SUPER slowly and scout out the enemies, you can avoid dying as long as you have a safe place to retreat to. The lost sector doesn't just kick you out, you can keep going indefinitely (as long as you avoid death).

I wasn't kidding when I say I finish in 40 to 75 minutes! You just gotta be ultra super careful.

26904.png
  • Options
    Certain lost sectors are easier than others. The main pain points are the champions and match game. If you have arbalest you can trivialize match game a lot but usually there’s only two shields so if you go with your energy and heavy slots to cover each that helps. Or you can rely on your class abilities for one but that can be ugly

It’s probably easy and rude for someone whose played destiny since the original alpha to say they aren’t hard so I won’t say that, but with the right gear and a little familiarity with the systems they are fairly balanced for 5-10 minute solo clears

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I think the longest a Legend lost sector has taken for me is like 20 minutes? An hour is crazy

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Sure, there's a 15 min timer for everyone.

I'm just saying, if you go SUPER slowly and scout out the enemies, you can avoid dying as long as you have a safe place to retreat to. The lost sector doesn't just kick you out, you can keep going indefinitely (as long as you avoid death).

I wasn't kidding when I say I finish in 40 to 75 minutes! You just gotta be ultra super careful.

What's your character's power level currently at?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I finish most legend lost sectors in like 5 minutes, I don’t know how it’s even possible to make one take north of an hour

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    With the right build, an aggressive playstyle and some practice, legend lost sectors can be cleared in 5 minutes or less.

I don't grind LLS's for re-rolls though as that way madness lies. I just get the seasonal exotics and anly flawless/solo triumphs I'm missing. Playing slow and safe I can usually clear in 15 minutes at most. Much faster if I'm not concerned about deaths.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The legendary lost sectors have been getting more and more difficult with the various expansions, mainly because the base lost sectors have been getting longer and more difficult.

But if you get an older lost sector from y1, like the ones on Nessus or EDZ, they should still be pretty easy. Only real problem is if you can’t cover the element types with the champion requirements.

ronzo on
  • Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    As long as you can run the right (matched shield damage type/champ mods) load out the Lost Sectors are fairly trivial.

I could see where if you don't have a deep bank for the gear mix and match it could get frustrating, though. Not everyone has 400+ guns of every type and element vaulted.

EDIT: On that timer post, the OP totally does have that timer. Once you go past the darkness envelops you stuff it doesn't instant-end, it cuts off your rezzes. So the OP is saying forget the timer, just don't die. Which seems like questionable advice when it's possible to get random one-shot by many of the bosses which would result in starting completely over.

TF it what.

:|

How tf you supposed to... Would it kill the game to maybe put an explanation on something? Twelve screens of "here is how you pick a grenade" but nothing on anything else...

• Options
    For what it's worth, I finished the Witch Queen main storyline last night. At least I think I did. After doing the last (?) mission, the game unlocked a whole slew of post-campaign quests and activities. I feel like there's more there to do than the original storyline presented to be honest! With the exception of mission #3 "The Ghosts" I did the whole thing Legendary and solo. That one mission I did in easy mode - maybe I'll circle back to complete it in Legendary one day, but I don't see a reason to do so.

26904.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I thought if you went over time on a lost sector you were locked out of getting the exotic drops? Or was that just rumor?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I thought if you went over time on a lost sector you were locked out of getting the exotic drops? Or was that just rumor?

Not true afaik.