As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] God Roll Guns and Flawless Runs; Tons of Fun in the Light of the Sun

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man I got to 5300+ glory without much pain and suddenly I’m falling apart.

Prob 30 matches later and I’m 5060

Worst was sitting 3-0 with two wins to go and somehow my team collapsed.

It’s only been two rough nights but boy is my confidence shaken

616610-1.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I thought if you went over time on a lost sector you were locked out of getting the exotic drops? Or was that just rumor?
    I can confirm this is untrue.

For giggles I recorded a legendary lost sector run last night. This was extremely fast (for me) because:
    1. I'm 15 power higher than the minimum
    2. I'm using loreley's so risk of death was very low (although I still managed to -almost- do it a couple times)
    3. I have a void scout that synergises with both the enemy shields AND stuns one flavour of champions
    4. I'm using a kinetic exotic that procs AE multikills on headshots - a weaker Incandescent perk that only procs on precision kills.
    It still took nearly 20 minutes.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I haven’t watched the whole thing, but right off the bat I noticed something: always, always match your heavy to the burn element, and it should preferably be something capable of high burst damage so you can rapidly kill the champs after the stun

Something like a rocket launcher or linear fusion, or even a sword on some of them. 900 rpm machine are really bad at pretty much everything except red bar ad clearing, and stasis heavies never take advantage of the burn.

ronzo on
  • Options
    image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ8hxuvVvKKq5WWXWPr0sgiLkqKQxEEjAzc24Fs7_UQ5L4YehRqAVw0AMoXS.LAziVfI0BPz5tl20QRjPuPRTfEsajbXp7SulAuSCA3px3RLtUxJKF.wkogRpPlsiozfz5PmQMfoJLXM46vDLni25URQU8Zq77nL1HQ7.hxwClZ3GPtIqp9m16ZYuSWaF7O8BJu9jd2qw_cWs.8Rn97tAriSzQCPTfL5YPTazsliv87nu2nrGIk3pKNDZPvL.ezCBvZ9PO2VxEtCiC2zQMqzDT84-

I went 5-1 tonight to finally break through. Every single match was insanely tight with crazy come backs. 3 wins and 1 loss were 4-3 nail biters. Last match went down 3-1 switched to chaperone and carried my team. 2.3 kd with them both at .6

Not gunna lie it feels real nice! Only title I have in all of destiny.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Does anyone know if mini tool gets the sprint speed boost with multi tool? Like I read that it increases the boost from
    8.5 to 10. But is that only when multi tool is out or when mini is too?

And does this stack with peacekeepers? Basically I want to go fast.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Does anyone know if mini tool gets the sprint speed boost with multi tool? Like I read that it increases the boost from
    8.5 to 10. But is that only when multi tool is out or when mini is too?

And does this stack with peacekeepers? Basically I want to go fast.

I'd think it does. Mini says "go faster with both equipped" on it and I'd assume that's applicable if you're wielding it. (Not tried them since I came back, though apparently I had both hanging out...)

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    TWAB with Solstice details, starts next week: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/51580
    Solstice glows are unlocked by upgrading your armor with Kindling, which you earn by completing the new Event Challenges. As you upgrade the armor, the possible stat rerolls of that armor slot go up (this is across all Solstice armor in that slot, not just the one you upgrade, i.e. upgrade an arms to level 2 and all Solstice arms now are upgraded to level 2).
    Solstice_Kindle_LOC_EN.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=4022401429
    You can then reroll your Solstice armor using a currency called Silver Ash. Silver Ash is earned by taking Silver Leaves, which you earn from all activities, and completing the new Bonfire Bash activity which converts Leaves to Ash. You can keep rerolling stats on a piece of armor as much as you want, and at max level you can choose a specific stat you want to be high-stat:
    Solstice_FullKindled_LOC_EN.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=4022401429
    Upgrade level applies to all Solstice armor in that slot, but each piece must be individually rolled.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Lol I legit laugh out loud every time Bungie introduces 13 ridiculous currencies to do something

616610-1.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    My eyes started to fucking cross somewhere between leaves and ash.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    My eyes started to fucking cross somewhere between leaves and ash.

everyone knows you gotta burn the leaves

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Lol I legit laugh out loud every time Bungie introduces 13 ridiculous currencies to do something

Come on, this is only 3 currencies. They are taking it easy on us this year.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    CammyCakes breaking down best practices for the solo queue Iron Banner life, I'm not going to use everything he suggests but I'm going to try some of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clztCB4FcDM

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The "turning leaves to ash at a bonfire" thing is clever but they do just fucking love them some "Collect X, turn it into Y, then you can spend Y!" things. And I'm more than willing to bet that, just like every other time, it's going to be a cap of like 12 Leaves and you need 30 Ash to do the thing and they'll patch it a week later to make it less stupid.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I’ve been running triple grenade launcher in IB doing to quest to get the witherhoard catalyst. It’s not “great” but it is nonsense enough that it makes me not feel bad when I do poorly and I’ve gotten like 1/3 of the kills I need in two days so maybe the real answer to crucible is just blastin

• Options
    The "turning leaves to ash at a bonfire" thing is clever but they do just fucking love them some "Collect X, turn it into Y, then you can spend Y!" things. And I'm more than willing to bet that, just like every other time, it's going to be a cap of like 12 Leaves and you need 30 Ash to do the thing and they'll patch it a week later to make it less stupid.

I'm pretty sure all these systems are in the end designed around the limitations of the game's engine and the UI. The game knows how to handle stacks of objects well, both in the UI and on the backend, and it makes it easy to track for the players. So making everything tokens just slots into what the game already does with a minimal amount of extra dev time.

For all the jokes, the whole system is basically just:
    - do anything to get Leaves, do the seasonal event to turn that into Ash to spend on things (this gets you into both normal game stuff and the new event)
    - do other stuff to get the special currency that upgrades armor slots and basically exists as a way to let you pick which armour slots you want to upgrade in what order

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I'm pretty sure all these systems are in the end designed around the limitations of the game's engine and the UI. The game knows how to handle stacks of objects well, both in the UI and on the backend, and it makes it easy to track for the players. So making everything tokens just slots into what the game already does with a minimal amount of extra dev time.

For all the jokes, the whole system is basically just:
    - do anything to get Leaves, do the seasonal event to turn that into Ash to spend on things (this gets you into both normal game stuff and the new event)
    - do other stuff to get the special currency that upgrades armor slots and basically exists as a way to let you pick which armour slots you want to upgrade in what order

Yeah, my complaint was around how they tend to size the stacks. Every time (okay, maybe not every time, but it's happened enough times) they put out a new set of currencies where you to collect A to make B, the cap size on A ends up being something awkward. Either to fill your stack of A you have to do, say, 3 activities, but the 3rd activity you lose half the reward because you're at the cap, or you need to convert 2.5 stacks from A to B to buy whatever with B, so instead of doing two cycles of "Collect A, do activity to convert' you have to do a third cycle despite not necessarily needing all of what it produces.

I guess they want to make sure people engage with whatever the conversion activity is often instead of just banking 999 currency A, then converting it all while ignoring the activity the rest of the time. Which makes sense. They just have a tendency to pick caps, conversion rates, reward rates, and costs that make it feel annoying instead of natural.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Think challenges or something are broke
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    TWAB with Solstice details, starts next week: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/51580
    Solstice glows are unlocked by upgrading your armor with Kindling, which you earn by completing the new Event Challenges. As you upgrade the armor, the possible stat rerolls of that armor slot go up (this is across all Solstice armor in that slot, not just the one you upgrade, i.e. upgrade an arms to level 2 and all Solstice arms now are upgraded to level 2).
    Solstice_Kindle_LOC_EN.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=4022401429
    You can then reroll your Solstice armor using a currency called Silver Ash. Silver Ash is earned by taking Silver Leaves, which you earn from all activities, and completing the new Bonfire Bash activity which converts Leaves to Ash. You can keep rerolling stats on a piece of armor as much as you want, and at max level you can choose a specific stat you want to be high-stat:
    Solstice_FullKindled_LOC_EN.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=4022401429
    Upgrade level applies to all Solstice armor in that slot, but each piece must be individually rolled.

Ah, is this an out of season April Fools?

EDIT: Playstation deal closed, so they're part of Sony now. Brace for fuckery on non Sony platforms.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It came up on the discord but Xur has an absolutely bonkers near max stat roll for Crown of Tempests today

• Options
    Honest question here: does anyone actually enjoy Gambit?

I mean I suffer through it to get my pinnacle each week and I'm certainly not a fan of the mode. But I'm at or near the top of the leaderboad for my team for nearly every game. This tells me that I'm doing something right, even though I'm not 'invested' in the mode.

Just makes me wonder what's going on with the game as a whole.

26904.png
  • Options
    I’m starting to get a feel for Last word and with classy restoration on hunter it’s just silly.

Classy restoration in crucible is the dumbest thing bungies done since original stasis

I also spent three iron banner matches trying bakaris and being confused until I read I had to be stasis

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Honest question here: does anyone actually enjoy Gambit?

I mean I suffer through it to get my pinnacle each week and I'm certainly not a fan of the mode. But I'm at or near the top of the leaderboad for my team for nearly every game. This tells me that I'm doing something right, even though I'm not 'invested' in the mode.

Just makes me wonder what's going on with the game as a whole.

I like gambit until an invader comes in with heavy ammo.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I've been busy this season, but Gambit's been basically the one match-made activity that I actively enjoy.

Like, if I'm going to actually get a ritual (or whatever they're called?) weapon for the season, it'll be via Gambit.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Gambit: Kill some NPCs over there and go pick up the widgets. Try not to die. Eventually get one-shot by another player who I never even see and doesn't show up on my radar.

Crucible: Nothing but getting one-shot by another player I never even see and doesn't show up on my radar.

Not a really tough choice IMO.

• Options
    Destiny PvP has always been a love it or hate it thing, but I think the average player wishes gambit was... Better. I still think they should only grant heavy during boss damage and not at all during invades, that's it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Since I missed the quests and have an exotic cipher to use which is better to get from Xur by Tuesday; Hawkmoon or Dead Man's Tale (as a Warlock main)?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Both are good but DMT is better overall for things in both PvE and PvP. But Hawkmoon is an excellent PvP choice too. DMT is The Last Word as a scout and feel great

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Since I missed the quests and have an exotic cipher to use which is better to get from Xur by Tuesday; Hawkmoon or Dead Man's Tale (as a Warlock main)?

Hawkmoon is typically just a PvP gun. If you play a lot of PvP and like handcannons, this week’s roll has Rangefinder which is a great choice.

DMT is very solid for both PvP and PvE. This week’s roll though has Moving Target which isn’t great. If you want DMT, I’d suggest waiting for either Vorpal or Outlaw or Fourth Time’s The Charm.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Moving Target is a great PvP perk tho. Personally my PvP DMT is Snapshot and my PvE one is Vorpal, tho vorpal is also good in PvP for taking down supers

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Moving Target is a great PvP perk tho. Personally my PvP DMT is Snapshot and my PvE one is Vorpal, tho vorpal is also good in PvP for taking down supers

It’s ok for PvP, but Moving Target only works when aiming down sights, which you normally don’t do a lot with DMT, though I guess now with hipfire only being slightly faster it’s not as bad of a perk

Also I imagine BlackDragon isn’t going to buy two (those shits are expensive from Xur) which is why I would recommend getting one that’s good in PvP and PvE (which I’d remove 4TTC from the options)

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I ADS a lot with DMT because at range it's just jade rabbit with the crispy 3 tap kills if you can land headshots. It's great for bigger maps or maps wit large outdoor areas like Jav4 or Vostok

• Options
    Oh those have random rolls? I had no idea why they were on xur every week and I didn’t really pay attention since I couldn’t buy beyond light things anyway.

• Options
    Destiny PvP has always been a love it or hate it thing, but I think the average player wishes gambit was... Better. I still think they should only grant heavy during boss damage and not at all during invades, that's it.

IDK if this is a love it or hate it thing, but I mean... I dump a clip from a pulse into a mob in Gambit, it dies and I pick up a widget, yay. I dumped a clip from a pulse rifle into some dude just standing there, not in a rift, not in a super, just standing there, and he A: took no damage and B: One-shot me with his own pulse rifle after he got bored.

I'm just going to play the mode where my shit actually works, like. More fun than getting farmed by a dude with a 7.0 K/D that I literally can't damage.

• Options
    Nah that's just how it goes! If you're not doing the same thing to the enemy you need to examine what's going wrong because everyone is afforded the same weapons and advantages in PvP. It's not easy but anyone can do it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Something I wonder how it’d work is if they played up the whole “invader” angle more.

Like, if instead of jumping over with your regular loadout, you spawn controlling a super Taken with a fixed loadout depending on your class. So you don’t have to worry about invaders with Gally’s or other weird heavy loadouts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dporowski wrote: »

IDK if this is a love it or hate it thing, but I mean... I dump a clip from a pulse into a mob in Gambit, it dies and I pick up a widget, yay. I dumped a clip from a pulse rifle into some dude just standing there, not in a rift, not in a super, just standing there, and he A: took no damage and B: One-shot me with his own pulse rifle after he got bored.

I'm just going to play the mode where my shit actually works, like. More fun than getting farmed by a dude with a 7.0 K/D that I literally can't damage.
    That sounds like something is broken. I mean, I'm provably awful at PvP (0.5 KDA!). I like to blame my input latency (measured at around 450ms), my comms latency (200-ish ms playing from Australia), and my age (55 y.o. means my reaction times just aren't what they used to be). But I still get kills and even win fights occasionally.

I know it's not your favorite mode, but if you want some advice from someone who is pretty close to the bottom of the skill scale, the first thing to concentrate on is following the other people on your team. Don't run off expecting to be a one-person army. Just stick with someone else (preferably someone who is doing well) and shoot what they shoot. You don't have to do anything but contribute to the kill - just hitting one single shot in a fight and you get credit for an assist, and potentially a full "kill" if you manage to hit the final shot that brings the other guy down.

Until you know the maps, and where and how you can flank, all you're going to do is be frustrated by people peek-shooting you from behind cover.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Stupid wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »

That sounds like something is broken. I mean, I'm provably awful at PvP (0.5 KDA!). I like to blame my input latency (measured at around 450ms), my comms latency (200-ish ms playing from Australia), and my age (55 y.o. means my reaction times just aren't what they used to be). But I still get kills and even win fights occasionally.

I know it's not your favorite mode, but if you want some advice from someone who is pretty close to the bottom of the skill scale, the first thing to concentrate on is following the other people on your team. Don't run off expecting to be a one-person army. Just stick with someone else (preferably someone who is doing well) and shoot what they shoot. You don't have to do anything but contribute to the kill - just hitting one single shot in a fight and you get credit for an assist, and potentially a full "kill" if you manage to hit the final shot that brings the other guy down.

Until you know the maps, and where and how you can flank, all you're going to do is be frustrated by people peek-shooting you from behind cover.

Ah, I appreciate it. And no, I know, I'm cool with being "not particularly good"; I follow my team, stay on the point, and make bullets go downrange. It's a help at least, you know? At worst I'm suppressive fire. And that used to work out.

I think something in stats/armor 2.0 or w/e significantly changed the experience from when I last played Control; it used to be "pretty even, barring which specific gun you had" and so forth. Now I'm reading up how it's expected to get 100 in 3x stats, there's the giant pile of mods, masterwork armor (more stat points), and just far less of a "reasonably even field" than it felt like before, and I really don't have a ton of interest in grinding up a bunch of mode-specific armor and mods, then grinding out the resources for leveling them all, and then getting back to "well, I'm not great at this but we're all pretty even".

Like, just straight up, the dude with 100 in Resil/Recovery/Discipline has a material advantage over me in terms of flinch (if not damage taken), regen speed, and grenade output. The hunter with 100 Mobility/recovery/resil has a dodge + (mod-induced) heal on what, a 10s cooldown? Is faster than I am while reloading/firing, and takes w/e the difference between 70 and 100 resilience is less flinching from incoming fire.

Edit: And there's always stuff like this. I'd love that mod; don't have it. No idea if I'll ever have it, and just gotta wait on Ada to maybe sell it. (Though I guess it's 10% now, not the 50% it used to be, but still. I'd run 10% emergency DR.) Back in the day, was just "oh goody, that guy has a Mythoclast, this round will be fun for exactly nobody but him".

dporowski on
  • Options
    I enjoy Gambit. It's not like my favourite mode, but it's usually fun. It's got about the same ratio of good time to hair-pulling frustration as Crucible and for basically the same reasons.

Gambit's main issues are balance. It's probably the best it's ever been right now honestly. It's a tough problem to solve though because hilariously Gambit is somehow accidentally laser focused on the weakness in the core design of the game and it's sandbox. They've been trying their best to design their way around that issue for years now.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Combat mods like Protective Light don't work in the Crucible, for what it's worth. I think there's so much random bullshit to keep track of that Destiny's PvP is weird and unforgiving to get into and bewildering to parse in the moment, but I do think that buildcraft for it can be almost as rewarding as PvE and I'm also biased as someone who's enjoyed it for a long time.

I finished my Iron Lord title last night and the "objectives" part is very, very stupid. With 6 people on each team and a maximum of 5 dunks to win (that's if you're very lucky and the game is very quick paced but also evenly matched) at least one person on the team can't do the thing that gives you the most progress towards the seal. If everything on the final scoreboard counted, even a little, I'd be fine with it because everyone could find a way to contribute to the win and still move towards the title. I'm sure this isn't the case but it feels like there are two sides at Bungie; one is dedicated to player engagement numbers and those folks are willing to incentivize all of the wrong ways to play Destiny, just to keep people playing it for longer, and the other is more reasonable and understands that maybe they shouldn't force people to play team based modes incorrectly in the name of personal progress, and I want to find the first group and ask them if they realize what they're doing and also please stop.

• Options
    Yeah I have like zero interest in the iron lord title because I suck at being a runner. I’m good at killing the dudes around the runner and setting up a dunk but I myself always die mid dunk animation which seems crazy

616610-1.png
  • Options
    At least just picking the spark up or killing enemy runners gives you some points afaik.

I got that stupid crap done by just grabbing the ball at every opportunity.