As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell Me About Your Dream Game

24

Posts

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Also just in general I want one time for one of those games that deals with the supernatural Good vs Evil stuff to flip the script and make it truly about good vs evil. Most media examples of an "angels vs demons" type supernatural war will almost always end up actually making it law vs chaos. The OG Charmed is an amazing example, but the Buffy is pretty good as well. In both cases the protagonists are special basically because they're Neutral and/or Chaotic Good, as opposed to the supernatural protagonist faction being more Lawful Neutral to Neutral Good, with occasions toward Lawful Evil. By contrast, most of the bad guys are really just chaotic neutral. Most of them are just supernatural jackasses who, yeah they'll cause some trouble and maybe you need some sort of supernatural police, but like real world police the solution is NOT to just label them all irredeemably evil lesser beings. There's usually a Chaotic Evil big bad, but there's very often a lot more Chaotic Neutral, but there will be a plot twist at one point when it's revealed there's a small faction of Lawful Evil baddies who are pooling their resources to be a bigger threat!

    Anyway what I want is Asmodeus of the Nine Hells as the series big bad. If not literally than structurally. I want bad guys who are mostly Lawful Evil with the occasional Neutral Evil and maybe a plot twist of a random Lawful Neutral baddie. By contrast, I want the overwhelming majority of the angels to be Chaotic Good, with a token Chaotic Neutral angel and maybe a triumvirate type situation of a Lawful Good angel and a pair of Neutral Good angels. But I want the overall supernatural background theme to be fundamentally about independent powers of good coming together to confront and topple a hugely organized and thereby force multiplied evil empire. And if you do it via supernatural means you don't have to worry about what comes after Happily Ever After because it's the supernatural so you can just handwave and say they abandoned anything resembling human politics and infighting afterward to forever maintain the peace.

    I've craved for something like that for a long time. Sorry that was probably reallllly rambly.

    Thinking about this and realizing that Diablo itself is actually a good counter-example. Both the angels and the evils are more or less organized and working together, just differently. The evils always acted as a sort of boardroom, with the Prime evils outranking the others. The Angiris Council was much more like a city council, with a single Mayor who outranks everyone else. The PC(s) are generally Chaotic to Neutral Good, with the notable exception of the Paladin/Crusader. Tyriel is absolutely Neutral Good.

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Tyrael is Lawful Good, but starting at the end of Diablo 2, more on the side of Humanity's laws than Heaven's laws. Imperius proved himself to be a dickbag, and Tyrael rightfully called him on his bullshit.

  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Okay, while my fiancée is trying on cute summer dresses.

    I want a metahuman game.

    Sort of a GTA open world, with many factions and power players to ally with, confront, or compete with.

    But you build a character like City of Heroes.

    Extremely customizable power sets, point-based market for purchasing your starting power set, which you can then develop as the game progresses.

    Wanna be a villain? Go nuts. Rob banks, challenge gang leaders and other meta humans in the underworld. Get yourself a nemesis and mess with him for giggles. Clown the cops and execute your master plan to take over the city.

    Wanna be a hero? Nice! Get the key to the city, be best buds with the commissioner, run your operation out of your apartment like a friendly neighborhood Arachno-Man, out of the sewers like some Adolescent Morphed Shinobi Amphibians, or from a sprawling cave outside the city like some manner of Winged-Mammalian Man.

    Want to be a lone wolf anti-hero grim dark douche bag? Douche it up, friendo! Go it alone, delivering justice, vengeance, or mayhem on whomever you see fit. Be careful, though! If the whole city hates and mistrusts you, you may have trouble getting things done!

    The hardest part of this really flexible system is figuring out various end-game scenarios, especially for characters that are in the grey zone between Hero and Villain, but this is the game I wanted from Infamous and the other late 2000s “hero” games, but I hated being the character they picked for me.

    People always say that a game like this doesn’t exist because companies are worried about being sued by marvel or dc but I’m like come on, it’s so obviously a good idea, cmon!

    How can you sue me if it’s just a bunch of power sets and costume pieces for players to run around with and it’s a single player game? What, DC’s got the patent on heroes with a red phone that goes straight to the Mayor’s office?

  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    My dream game would be packed full of crazy surprises.

    I don't know what any of them would be because they wouldn't be surprises if I did.

    FYYss9j.png
    Lucedes
  • ElaroElaro Threadkiller, Harbinger of the Lock GodsRegistered User regular
    My dream game would be packed full of crazy surprises.

    I don't know what any of them would be because they wouldn't be surprises if I did.

    Would any and all of these surprises consist of delicious salmon, perchance?

    Derp derp still a smurf
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My dream game was a card based 2d fighting game. I dont even play foghting games but thats what my subconscious thought up. Was nearly a decade ago too. I could've been on the cutting edge of deck builder videogames. But alas. I am not a game designer and as said i dont even play fighting games.

    ProhassTofystedeth
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    Speaking of fighting games and not really playing them but liking them still, a more realistic (but still kind of unrealistic) dream of mine is a modern Shaolin monks style mk game on the scale and in the style of god of war 2018. Ideally with scorpion and sub zero buddied up

    Prohass on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Superhero turn-based RPG about a new generation taking the reins (I've had this idea long before MHA was a thing, but yes that does scratch the itch to an extent). Big focus on the Help the Helpless storylines like your Leverage/Person of Interest et al.

    Also would be based in an Australian-themed city, I love when developers bring that into their games, like the recent Cris Tales and Columbia.

  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Opening round of the 2004 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, I'm starting point guard for the 16th seeded UNC Wilmington Seahawks facing the 1 Seeded Duke Blue Devils

    Seahawks never trail, Duke never gets closer than 6 points, and I finish with 22 points, 12 assists, 5 steals, and 1 ridiculous chase down block from behind

    That's my Dream Game

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    RoyceSraphimTofystedeth
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Whatever it is it is very likely I’ll never play it because that would mean not playing more Hades

    TheStig
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Of the ideas I have that are beyond even my delusions of ever actually finishing and publishing an indie game of my own, I'd say my fondest one is if you made Kid Icarus: Uprising, but with a class system, a level grind, procedurally-generated dungeons, and online co-op, and stole Splatoon's gyro aiming.

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One game I would love to see is Binding of Isaac but without all of the gross shit.

    HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    Elvenshae
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A 4e based d&d game

    RingoMatevElvenshaeLucedesironsizideTofystedethRanlin
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Rogue Legacy, but with a spaceship, guns, and multiple planets instead of one castle with magic being restricted dependent on class for each planet.

    Chaos Unleashed was reaaaaaly close, but not quite it.

    Just, four or five elemental planets instead of one big castle, would be enough to vary gameplay and skilltrees to make each place feel unique. Fire planet only lets you use ice and healing, so the ice based skills which normally wouldn't get a ton of play get their moment, etc.

    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Fallen London 2 with like a Rockstar GTA budget.

    steam_sig.png
    Indie Winter
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Fallen London: Disco Elysium

    RCmKIvs.gif
    3034-4093-8537 on Switch
    Jedoc
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think I just want a shooter with crunchy but not too crunchy gunplay with soulslike game structure.

  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Two games I've mentioned on the forums before, but I still want.

    1) Banished but in a Wild West setting.
    2) Planet Cryptozoo.

    Actually...

    3) Sensible World of Sports. The same fixed angle birds eye view, fast paced, one button gameplay as Sensible Soccer, but adapted to hockey, basketball, American football, European handball, tennis, rugby, just a smorgasbord of sensible sports.

    steam_sig.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    214633042_H872q-XL-2.jpg

    cB5573cl1ps3TynnanDisruptedCapitalistPeewiXaquinJuggernutKristmas KthulhuTheStigZonugalAndy JoeMunkus BeaverRingoElvenshaeLucedesRoyceSraphimDee KaeknitdanOdinironsizideTofystedethPwnanObrien
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    give me the scope, crafting, classes, and abilities from EverQuest, but up the graphics and dial back the waiting and requirements by maybe 30 percent

    TheStigRanlin
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In college I sketched out some ideas for a game, which I've long since lost the notes for, but I'm going to update what I remember of it on the fly

    I think at the time I conceived it as like a third person action adventure game, but now I think is probably better as an RPG. And it would just be... kind of everything? You know how like, fantasy JRPGs will just fit so much shit in. The main plot to save the world, but lengthy side plots about... whatever! People in town need help, the forest is haunted, maybe you can date someone. And nobody really questions that that kind of game is going to have a dozen little plots of varying genres all existing alongside each other. So in my pitch you're basically the standard RPG journeyman problem solver but in a modern day American city.

    Now, in the years since, stuff like Persona and especially Yakuza: Like a Dragon have pretty much eaten my lunch on this idea, but I'd like something a little less big and bombastic and... well, anime. And a little smaller and quirkier and kind of magical realist. But it would have to be stupidly huge and ambitious. So many characters, so much writing, so many possible plots and choices intersecting. And the real hook, I thought, was that if your character died, you would pick up playing as a next of kin or a close friend that you had designated, who would literally be bequeathed the first character's RPG quest journal and pick up where they left off. And obviously the new one might have different stats and skills and stuff but you would be able to find the resources and the people in town to still help you accomplish everything.

    Want to focus on paranormal mysteries? Sure! Want to go real hard on dating? We got it. Want to fight crime? Sure but maybe you should look at the underlying reasons why people commit crime and focus your energy on ending the systems that drive people to- okay I'm not talking about the game anymore am I

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    My dream game was a card based 2d fighting game. I dont even play foghting games but thats what my subconscious thought up. Was nearly a decade ago too. I could've been on the cutting edge of deck builder videogames. But alas. I am not a game designer and as said i dont even play fighting games.

    So you essentially want Battle-On, but on the computer?

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I dont know what that is. I wrote down the rules i could remember when i woke up but the SD card doesnt work anymore. Iirc it worked a lot like a more complicated rock paper scissors with players playing cards simultaneously and then revealing.

    Actually, it wasn't a card game at all! It might be been turn based? I used cards to make a physical prototype in an attempt to figure out the rules of the game that i saw in my dream.

  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I dont know what that is. I wrote down the rules i could remember when i woke up but the SD card doesnt work anymore. Iirc it worked a lot like a more complicated rock paper scissors with players playing cards simultaneously and then revealing.

    Actually, it wasn't a card game at all! It might be been turn based? I used cards to make a physical prototype in an attempt to figure out the rules of the game that i saw in my dream.

    The game you are describing is called Yomi.

  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh

    Legacy of Kain reboot...

    RoyceSraphimDee Kae
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    In college I sketched out some ideas for a game, which I've long since lost the notes for, but I'm going to update what I remember of it on the fly

    I think at the time I conceived it as like a third person action adventure game, but now I think is probably better as an RPG. And it would just be... kind of everything? You know how like, fantasy JRPGs will just fit so much shit in. The main plot to save the world, but lengthy side plots about... whatever! People in town need help, the forest is haunted, maybe you can date someone. And nobody really questions that that kind of game is going to have a dozen little plots of varying genres all existing alongside each other. So in my pitch you're basically the standard RPG journeyman problem solver but in a modern day American city.

    Now, in the years since, stuff like Persona and especially Yakuza: Like a Dragon have pretty much eaten my lunch on this idea, but I'd like something a little less big and bombastic and... well, anime. And a little smaller and quirkier and kind of magical realist. But it would have to be stupidly huge and ambitious. So many characters, so much writing, so many possible plots and choices intersecting. And the real hook, I thought, was that if your character died, you would pick up playing as a next of kin or a close friend that you had designated, who would literally be bequeathed the first character's RPG quest journal and pick up where they left off. And obviously the new one might have different stats and skills and stuff but you would be able to find the resources and the people in town to still help you accomplish everything.

    Want to focus on paranormal mysteries? Sure! Want to go real hard on dating? We got it. Want to fight crime? Sure but maybe you should look at the underlying reasons why people commit crime and focus your energy on ending the systems that drive people to- okay I'm not talking about the game anymore am I

    @Grey Ghost, I'll be honest with ya, this idea reminded me somewhat of the sitcom My Name Is Earl.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh

    Legacy of Kain reboot...

    VAE VICTUS!!

    HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    One game I would love to see is Binding of Isaac but without all of the gross shit.

    I briefly paused Hades to type this

  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh I would also buy the rights to Brothers in Arms from Gearbox and finally make the fucking finale to that series after they left it on a cliff hanger back in two thousand and eight.

  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Kirby’s Dream Course… 2

    l3icwZV.png
    ElvenshaeLucedes
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One idea I have is that I love the basic idea behind Majesty... where you aren't the Hero but the ruler trying to keep the heroes at their maximum efficiency. And combine that with some Paradox style character interaction sim.
    The thing I realized after playing a lot of CK is that you don't care about 90% of the world, unless it happens to open up an opportunity. So I'd propose to shrink it down to maybe a hundred or so actors, with more in depth roles.
    Trying to keep your people alive, deal with all sorts of political bullshit, try to keep the heroes out of trouble.... a lot of pop up events.
    Kings of Dragon Pass is actually a pretty good proximity too.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    ElvenshaeKristmas Kthulhu
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Far Cry but you play as a Kaiju

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    In college I sketched out some ideas for a game, which I've long since lost the notes for, but I'm going to update what I remember of it on the fly

    I think at the time I conceived it as like a third person action adventure game, but now I think is probably better as an RPG. And it would just be... kind of everything? You know how like, fantasy JRPGs will just fit so much shit in. The main plot to save the world, but lengthy side plots about... whatever! People in town need help, the forest is haunted, maybe you can date someone. And nobody really questions that that kind of game is going to have a dozen little plots of varying genres all existing alongside each other. So in my pitch you're basically the standard RPG journeyman problem solver but in a modern day American city.

    Now, in the years since, stuff like Persona and especially Yakuza: Like a Dragon have pretty much eaten my lunch on this idea, but I'd like something a little less big and bombastic and... well, anime. And a little smaller and quirkier and kind of magical realist. But it would have to be stupidly huge and ambitious. So many characters, so much writing, so many possible plots and choices intersecting. And the real hook, I thought, was that if your character died, you would pick up playing as a next of kin or a close friend that you had designated, who would literally be bequeathed the first character's RPG quest journal and pick up where they left off. And obviously the new one might have different stats and skills and stuff but you would be able to find the resources and the people in town to still help you accomplish everything.

    Want to focus on paranormal mysteries? Sure! Want to go real hard on dating? We got it. Want to fight crime? Sure but maybe you should look at the underlying reasons why people commit crime and focus your energy on ending the systems that drive people to- okay I'm not talking about the game anymore am I

    Grey Ghost, I'll be honest with ya, this idea reminded me somewhat of the sitcom My Name Is Earl.

    I admit I never really gave it the time. What made that connection for you?

  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    In college I sketched out some ideas for a game, which I've long since lost the notes for, but I'm going to update what I remember of it on the fly

    I think at the time I conceived it as like a third person action adventure game, but now I think is probably better as an RPG. And it would just be... kind of everything? You know how like, fantasy JRPGs will just fit so much shit in. The main plot to save the world, but lengthy side plots about... whatever! People in town need help, the forest is haunted, maybe you can date someone. And nobody really questions that that kind of game is going to have a dozen little plots of varying genres all existing alongside each other. So in my pitch you're basically the standard RPG journeyman problem solver but in a modern day American city.

    Now, in the years since, stuff like Persona and especially Yakuza: Like a Dragon have pretty much eaten my lunch on this idea, but I'd like something a little less big and bombastic and... well, anime. And a little smaller and quirkier and kind of magical realist. But it would have to be stupidly huge and ambitious. So many characters, so much writing, so many possible plots and choices intersecting. And the real hook, I thought, was that if your character died, you would pick up playing as a next of kin or a close friend that you had designated, who would literally be bequeathed the first character's RPG quest journal and pick up where they left off. And obviously the new one might have different stats and skills and stuff but you would be able to find the resources and the people in town to still help you accomplish everything.

    Want to focus on paranormal mysteries? Sure! Want to go real hard on dating? We got it. Want to fight crime? Sure but maybe you should look at the underlying reasons why people commit crime and focus your energy on ending the systems that drive people to- okay I'm not talking about the game anymore am I

    Grey Ghost, I'll be honest with ya, this idea reminded me somewhat of the sitcom My Name Is Earl.

    I admit I never really gave it the time. What made that connection for you?

    Oh, it was stuff like this:
    So in my pitch you're basically the standard RPG journeyman problem solver but in a modern day American city.
    And the real hook, I thought, was that if your character died, you would pick up playing as a next of kin or a close friend that you had designated, who would literally be bequeathed the first character's RPG quest journal and pick up where they left off. And obviously the new one might have different stats and skills and stuff but you would be able to find the resources and the people in town to still help you accomplish everything.

    Cause Earl in the show basically has a quest journal (he carries it on his person) and every episode was him helping out a regular person with a problem in their life.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    RingoKyouguChallTofystedeth
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I want an anime game that really captures the fluid, large open battles of Shonen anime.

    We def gotten closer with games like DragonBall Xenoverse and CC2 Naruto games but it still feels lacking.

    Like I'm thinking the speed, fluidity and spectacle of DBZFighters but in full 3D, in large environments with destructible stuff.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    I think it'd be more interesting to have an anime that captures the experience of slice of life. Just going about day to day life and dealing with relationships.

    Exactly one person would play it, but still.

    ePITGr0.png
    Matev
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    I want a game that pushes the new consoles to their absolute limits to produce a beautiful, hand painted look. Not going for realism or for the current Pixar-esque animated movie style (like ratchet or kena). Something still big and colorful, but more like a natural evolution of Okami, with a wide variety of environments. This aesthetic is really the main thing. I know it would be impractical and cost a trillion dollars but I don’t care.

    As far as gameplay, it would be an action rpg, NOT a big mostly empty open world, something more akin to the intricate interconnected world of dark souls 1 or a metroidvania. But not souls combat, something a little less deliberate and more actiony without going into full on character action, with an emphasis on puzzle solving between combat sequences ala Zelda or other old RPGs of the past.

    Oh also it would star a mom because when has a AAA video game starred a late 30s woman with a kid before? Ever? The kid could even be a little older and tag along Atreus style as a puzzle solving buddy.

    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    XaquinKristmas Kthulhu
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think it'd be more interesting to have an anime that captures the experience of slice of life. Just going about day to day life and dealing with relationships.

    Exactly one person would play it, but still.

    Are you kidding? Animal Crossing has a massive following and is almost as close to slice of life gaming as you can get.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    asofyeun
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Isn't Lake supposed to be pretty much that?

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think it'd be more interesting to have an anime that captures the experience of slice of life. Just going about day to day life and dealing with relationships.

    Exactly one person would play it, but still.

    Are you kidding? Animal Crossing has a massive following and is almost as close to slice of life gaming as you can get.

    Animal Crossing isn't exactly what I had in mind... more about interpersonal relationships, closer to Harvest Moon than Animal Crossing, just with less focus on busywork and farming.

    ePITGr0.png
Sign In or Register to comment.