As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell Me About Your Dream Game

124»

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 16
    Brutal Legend 2.

It would have a streamlined, top down MOBA look while retaining unit construction and hero units with combos and spells / solos. Each unit and vehcile would maintain having a pilot/team attack mode. Such attacks would be as potent as the hero unit, preventing players from Lu Bu'ing their way to victory while maintaining their strength.

Like Airmech, only, y'know, when it was good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    RoyceSraphim
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Brutal Legend 2.

It would have a streamlined, top down MOBA look while retaining unit construction and hero units with combos and spells / solos. Each unit and vehcile would maintain having a pilot/team attack mode. Such attacks would be as potent as the hero unit, preventing players from Lu Bu'ing their way to victory while maintaining their strength.

Only if it is called Brütalëst Legend.

• ElaroElaro Threadkiller, Harbinger of the Lock GodsRegistered User regular
    Brutal Legend 2.

See, I've drawn up preliminary design documents for a standalone expansion pack for Brütal Legend called Brütal Saga. It explores a fourth faction, themed around folk/pirate metal.

Their ultimate unit is The Flying Finn; like the Flying Dutchman, but Finnish.

Derp derp still a smurf
    ElvenshaeEndless_SerpentsCantidoMatevironsizide
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Brutal Legend 2.

See, I've drawn up preliminary design documents for a standalone expansion pack for Brütal Legend called Brütal Saga. It explores a fourth faction, themed around folk/pirate metal.

My sequal would have involved funk and Ophelia using her Drowning Doom power to tame the functapus and redo the final battle from Dune with a funky metal soundtrack

Brutal Legend 2.

My sequal would have involved funk and Ophelia using her Drowning Doom power to tame the functapus and redo the final battle from Dune with a funky metal soundtrack

They leave the original continent and crash into England 1973. In other words, they were in the early seventies the whole time.

RoyceSraphim
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Brutal Legend 2.

Brütalëst Legend: Let’s Finnish This

RoyceSraphimdiscriderTynnanElvenshaesarukunironsizideKristmas KthulhuOld world monkey
    Dungeons and Dragons traveling circus, or at least a homebrew in another realm

Empire collapsed, roads are open for travel again, assemble a 5 man band, different acts based on different stats....so......D&D idolmaster?

I.e. use str character to put a strongman show on, cha character to hype the crowd, dex character to pickpocket, and wisdom cha can have a hand in running the show's $, con character cooks food to sell

But that is for a str centered show

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 17
    Dungeons and Dragons traveling circus, or at least a homebrew in another realm

Empire collapsed, roads are open for travel again, assemble a 5 man band, different acts based on different stats....so......D&D idolmaster?

I.e. use str character to put a strongman show on, cha character to hype the crowd, dex character to pickpocket, and wisdom cha can have a hand in running the show's $, con character cooks food to sell

But that is for a str centered show

Go for the full band

Strength = drummer
    Dexterity = lead guitar
    Constitution = bassist
    Intelligence = rhythm guitar
    Wisdom = manager
    Charisma = front man

Sleep on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So in Shin Megami Tensei V, there's a scene where...
    a flight of Angels is headed to war with the forces of Chaos, and one by one they catch fire and fall out of the sky seemingly with no cause, until Surt rises out of the city and annihilates their entire force with a wall of flame

... and I really appreciated the non-verbal storytelling that just gave you such a clear impression of the power you were up against.

In combination with the fact that the actual spoken dialog in that game is... somewhat lackluster, it made me wonder, as I was out for a walk later in the day, if it would be viable to make a "silent film" JRPG. No words allowed except in the UI (and even that should be rendered pictographically wherever possible), with all presentation of the story done in pantomime. It would be interesting to see if you could get people to understand why your right-hand man turns on the party in favor of the evil emperor without actually letting anyone speak.

In the same vein, this is also way beyond my ability to execute on myself, but it would be interesting to see an RPG (or other narrative/verbally-driven game) written entirely in a conlang. Granted you could get the same experience by just playing a translation of a game in a language you don't already know, but putting everyone on Earth in the same position relative to your game's script would be a fun exercise, I think.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    An MMO that respects your time.

Lucedes
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Basically for over a decade I've been wanting to make a game that mashed up Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates battle navigation game with Master of Orion's ship design.
    Design yer spaceships. Obs
    Grid based tactical spaceship combat, where you have a set amount of time each to turn to plan your moves and attacks, and then all parties execute their turns simultaneously.
    Gotta line up your positioning: Maybe you have a huge spinal mount gun that does beaucoup damage but has limited ability to adjust aim so you have to be facing the enemy.
    Maybe you have a broadside of mass driver turrets or missiles with travel time and turning radius.
    Hop through wormholes, seek cover in asteroid belts, become invisible but have no shields in energy storms, do gravity slingshots etc.

Maybe also in larger team battles have a commander role that doesn't control a ship but can see plans of all the ships on their team, warn of collisions, maybe have abilities that provide C&C capabilities, cooldowns that provide buffs or whatever.

steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeLucedes
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    a flight of Angels is headed to war with the forces of Chaos, and one by one they catch fire and fall out of the sky seemingly with no cause, until Surt rises out of the city and annihilates their entire force with a wall of flame

... and I really appreciated the non-verbal storytelling that just gave you such a clear impression of the power you were up against.

In combination with the fact that the actual spoken dialog in that game is... somewhat lackluster, it made me wonder, as I was out for a walk later in the day, if it would be viable to make a "silent film" JRPG. No words allowed except in the UI (and even that should be rendered pictographically wherever possible), with all presentation of the story done in pantomime. It would be interesting to see if you could get people to understand why your right-hand man turns on the party in favor of the evil emperor without actually letting anyone speak.

In the same vein, this is also way beyond my ability to execute on myself, but it would be interesting to see an RPG (or other narrative/verbally-driven game) written entirely in a conlang. Granted you could get the same experience by just playing a translation of a game in a language you don't already know, but putting everyone on Earth in the same position relative to your game's script would be a fun exercise, I think.

A black/white/sepia JRPG whose cutscenes look and sound exactly like silent films sounds interesting, admittedly. Though I'm not sure how long you can make a game like that.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

A black/white/sepia JRPG whose cutscenes look and sound exactly like silent films sounds interesting, admittedly. Though I'm not sure how long you can make a game like that.

Uh it's a jrpg so it's gotta be 100 hours.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Alien surviving something terrible, choose species, background, ship you fled on, and start a game in orbit

D&D all the way to the ground.....if you make to the ground.....if you need the ground.....if there is a ground

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    My first answer is kind of cheating, because in an older, dumber, life, I was a wannabe game designer. So if I had the power (ie. money) to do it, I would create one of those. My favorite three were a 3D action-rpg of the sort that we'd probably call an "isekai" these days. Gameplay-wise, it would be close to Trials of Mana, though with larger areas and more character work, since I love writing dialogue. My second is a gritty squad shooter based around set piece-heavy levels about a (mostly) robot resistance against an alien tyrant. The whole thing was based on my childish Megaman sequel designs, but hopefully I changed it so much that hopefully you wouldn't notice most of it. My third is an action game swapping between stylish combat (the early God of War games, maybe, or maybe more like Bayonetta) and stealth sequences. You star as a tormented, mute child forced to fight demons using an innocuous weapon. It's a different genre, but Binding of Isaac basically beat me to the punch on this one.

These days, now that I've moved on to wannabe writer for now, I would probably want to make a game based around the novel I'm actively revising and hopefully will be ready to present to agents again. Or maybe an MMO set in the universe a few years after the events therein.

Of course, if we're not cheating and only talking about a game I'd like to PLAY, I would like an RPG (Action? Tactical? Some of Each?) that revolves around a ship. Not a spaceship, more a reality-hopping ship that explores different universes, episodic in nature but towards a greater goal, like stopping an evil empire or starting a new independent nation. You would be a wide-eyed newcomer at first but would progress to captain over time and would then have more control over picking crewmates and your destinations. Basically Outer Worlds with more crew interaction, more variety in area and mission design, and maybe add in stuff like Skies of Arcadia's crew and community builder, plus three generations of complexity.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Lucedes
    I appreciate Xenoblade, Guilty Gear Xrd and P5 making "bad gods" interesting and I have a feeling SMTV might do the same.