As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stopping external monitors from forcing a resolution change?

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
Hi folks. Recently got some brand new work laptops. They're great so far, except for the fact that their native resolution is 3840 x 2160, and I primarily use a (super old) program which visually freaks (I don't think scaling works on it? I get teeny tiny, unreadable icons and text) out at a resolution higher than 1920 x 1080.

This normally isn't an issue since I can just set my desktop resolution, but when I connect an external monitor, my laptop auto adjusts itself to its native resolution, which screws up my old ass program, requiring me to restart my stone age program (which can be a pain in the ass for a host of other reasons).

Is it possible to lock the desktop resolution when an external monitor is connected? Thanks!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You can usually fix program scaling issues by right clicking on the executable, properties, compatibility tab, Hi-DPI settings. Usually (but not always) "scaling performed by:system" will force it to render at 1x and then get upscaled like a bitmap.

The other approach is Win 11 supposedly introduced better memory for multi-monitor settings, although that brings its own host of "win 11" things. You can force a Win 11 update by searching for the Windows 11 Installer.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    There is a standard windows tool you should give a go. It is named Magnifier and you can use it for really flexible zooming in and out, like for example pressing CTRL+ALT and using the scroll wheel on your mouse.

Bones heal, glory is forever.