As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC D&D 5E:] Crew of the Whispered Curse

11112131416

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    I love playing an idiot. B)

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 22
    JACK
    One moment you're walking lightly over the giant shield...and the next, it's somehow twenty degrees warmer, the cave has grown dramatically smaller, and you're falling!

    The Shifter (somehow) lands on his feet, swaying ever so slightly. The slight drop in his stomach quickly subsides, and he looks around, taking in this strange new place. Wait...not a new place, an old place! This is the cave you were walking to when everything suddenly "shifted": you're back inside the giant spire, and back in the Twilight Expanse!

    Nearby, three familiar crewman man a small fire and sleep, someone having failed in their watch. Calthus Zurkul, Zephyr the Genasi, and Calvin Jenkins lie backs to their packs, snoring away. Outside, it's dark: far darker than it makes sense to be, given your short time in the cavern. How long were you all gone for?...
    Jack, roll 1d6 for Time Warp please!

    OAK
    The Mirror quickly exposes the truth of the illusions among the rock formations as he peers through it. Turning the handle to peer all about the cavern, Oak takes note of the few points of interest within (and without) the strange place:

    -Out the newly unsealed door is a land of metal and gears, straight lines and repeated patterns. It puts you in mind of the Mordrons you'd met with the Professor. Somehow, Oak knows this must be the place they hail from (although the statue must have come from somewhere else, perhaps a long time ago)

    - The mirror, upon catching the reflection of the image of the giant mirror shield, reveals a familiar view within: the cave you were all walking to before you vanished, fellow crewmen of the Expanse, Jack, freshly-fallen to his feet!...

    - Oak also finds the bodies of the last group to have stumbled upon the Mirror Guardian, one at a time. Most of the remains are...fairly gruesome. Few of the men still have anything remaining of real value. But one of the profiteers, dead within an illusory wall, seemed to be in the middle of either burying or digging out something (it's hard to tell which, at this point). Oak finds he has to give the corpse just a bit of a shove to push it off the top of the chest lid, and discover what's inside...
    Oak, roll 3d20 for "Cave of Order- HIDDEN CACHE"

    mrpaku on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Let's Do The Time Warp Agaaaaaaaaaaain

    Let's Do The Time Warp Agaaaaaaaaaaain:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I posted my spoiler in thread, so now I can say, I love that Jack's apparent idiot moment is actually a genius moment.

    Glalmrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Hidden Cache Expanse

    Geth, roll 1d100 for Magical Goodness

    Hidden Cache Expanse:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    Magical Goodness:
    1d100 96 [1d100=96]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 22
    x3 HIDDEN CACHE Locations will be randomly added to the Overhead Map!

    Oak, underneath all of the gold pieces, you discover a single ring, a beautiful, ocean blue crystal at it's center
    yse5m3iu8ld0.png

    The next short rest will reveal to you the ring's nature
    Ring, Uncommon. While wearing this ring, you can stand on and move across any liquid surface as if it were solid ground.

    In addition, Oak, please add the "Glass of Truth" to your inventory.

    Once Oak and Urixes are ready, each of you please make an Advantaged Constitution Save to step back through the glass to return to the Expanse...

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    @AustinP0027 Don't forget your Advantage on that Con Save (since, even though you're all travelling through dimensional rifts, at least you know where you're going!)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Edit: Woof

    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for CON save the sequel

    CON save the sequel:
    1d20+6 8 [1d20=2]

    AustinP0027 on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    I can't believe Oak dropped the treasure on the way through and it's all gone.

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I can't believe Oak dropped the treasure on the way through and it's all gone.

    Luckily nothing that long term! However...

    Oak, please take two levels of Exhaustion from your return through the rift! Big Man's gonna have to sleep it off on the Ship, but at least you didn't grow another arm or something! However, this also means it'll be a couple days before you can properly meet up with the Captain to get to the meaning behind all this. Hopefully, Young Jack can help you to your feet as you arrive...

    While we wait for Urixes to make an Advantaged Constitution Save and do his own return journey, Jack, please roll a d6 for Making Time on our ocean journey (After this recent event I've decided that, rather than the unrealistic nature of rolling once a day for non-stop unique encounters, instead we space out the days between events and I just ramp up difficulty of each one instead!)

    AustinP0027Glal
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Makin' Time!

    Makin' Time!:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    5 Days of Event-less travel time means three things:

    - Oak will be able to rest and recuperate in the Clinic without any issue, or being needed before he's 100%

    - The Captain will be calling you all in for a meeting in her office, once you've had a few days to rest and recover. There you can ask your questions of her/hopefully, receive some answers about what's going on

    - You will be passing the location of one of Urixes's ancient HIDDEN CACHES along the way. So @Denada , as well as the Advantaged Con Save as you emerge from the rift, please roll a 3d20 to tell us what treasure one of your previous lives has left behind for your use!

    AustinP0027Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Con Save (Meepo)
    Geth roll 1d3 Spell Scrolls (Urixes)
    Geth roll 1d3 Potions and Poisons (Urixes)

    Con Save (Meepo):
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]
    Spell Scrolls (Urixes):
    1d3 3 [1d3=3]
    Potions and Poisons (Urixes):
    1d3 3 [1d3=3]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Urixes's journey through the Rift was also a rough one-Urixes, take two levels of Exhaustion! The Tiefling and Oak will spend the next two to three days laid up in the Clinic, feeling woozy and strangely feverish with the occasional spout of vertigo, as they recover from the effects of unnatural interdimensional travel...

    Meepo, like Jack, seems to have come out the other side just fine! The little Kobold, having grown a quiet fondness for the group after joining them in action that day, will remain close by to keep an eye on the two, and attend to any needs that Hugo, Slevin, or David Edgar of the Clinical Staff are unable to fulfill!

    During the voyage of the next five days, the Whispered Curse will come across another one of Urixes's ancient deposits, marked upon your map. A team will be sent out at the Captain and Wild Bunch's request (with Jack and Meepo at the lead, since Oak and Urixes will be resting up within the Clinic), and the following will be recovered from an off-shore cave:

    - 6000 GP (Apparently, a very common amount to bury in a chest out here!)
    - x2 Vials of Purple Snake Poison, x1 Potion of Greater Healing
    - "Chill Touch" Scroll, "Silent Image" Scroll, "True Strike" Scroll

    Purple Snake Poison:
    Harvested from the glands of a Purple Snake, a delicate process considering the creature's small size and ferocity. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or take 4 (1d8) poison damage and become poisoned for 1 minute. The creature can make a new saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the poisoned condition on itself on a success.

    Urixes, since you are the only one who hasn't opened a HIDDEN CACHE so far, and since the items seem best suited to a Warlock, I'm dropping these things in your inventory. For any future CACHES, I figured the three of you would just go around in order (Jack next), unless an obvious item ever came on the table that someone particularly wanted for themselves!

    ...

    In five days, after the injured have had a chance to recover, and the life and work of being at sea resumes with some normalcy, the Captain will call you all into her office for a discussion about things. What do you do between now and then? (Take this time to sleep it off in the Clinic, get attuned/learn about any new magical items, ask any questions you have about rumors and such among the crew, or just RP between the three of you! Jack, obviously, is free to wander about the Deck with his RP, whereas Oak and Urixes are mostly bedridden for this particular section due to the rough travel). Once everyone has taken a turn, we'll skip ahead to the meeting in the Captain's Quarters, on your 55th afternoon at sea!

    CURRENT MAP
    gg85k4gccsll.jpg



    Geth roll 3d20 (Wind/Weather/Location)

    (Wind/Weather/Location):
    3d20 45 [3d20=18, 8, 19]

    AustinP0027Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    OOC: Update with the Captain to come later this afternoon! In the last month of our cross country move and everything is happening all at once, so expect the game to be somewhat slow these next thirty days. Thanks for your patience!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    No rush! That was a crazy fight.

    GlalmrpakuDenada
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Everyone: Who takes one of the offered drinks? Who doesn’t? Who gives a toast, and to what?

    Oak: Did you bring the “Glass of Truth” with you? Do you take it out right now, or keep it hidden wherever you’ve left it? (Stealth Check if you’ve stashed the mirror already and not brought it with to this meeting; Persuasion if you did, but don’t want to produce it at this moment; Dexterity if you produce it and use it to get a quick peek around the room before the Captain can respond to the action)

    Jack: What do you tell the Captain of what happened when you all travelled through the Cave, and the strange vision you saw within the mirror? What can you pick up from her mood and demeanor, after her pointedly not visiting the hospitalized Oak and Urixes for several days? (Charisma to tell the Captain the story of what happened without making her suspicious of missing details, and Perception to get a bead on where the Captain is at mood-wise right now, since she seems to be acting strange…)

    Urixes: Arcana Check for that empty chair…you know why. The Captain will also certainly be expecting your learned input on where you all just were and what happened…please make a Charisma Check, same as Jack, to reassure her you’re telling her everything pertinent about what occurred and what you know of your inter-dimensional journey and what you found!

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    If Oak has any questions of the Captain while we wait for Jack and Urixes, now is a good time to throw them out there!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I envision the toast as a "raise up the glass and give the Captain one last chance to say something"

    If she doesn't, Oak will take a drink as a sign of trying to trust, but that trust has been shaken enough that he's giving her a last out in case she had a different plan here and wants to change it.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Urixes and Oak: "WTF Captain?"
    Jack: "What a day I had, let me tell you!

    mrpakuGlal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20

    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 27
    OAK
    ... The Captain's been trying to secretly signal you this whole conversation, giving you hidden hand signs and subtle directions inside her words. Now that you finally notice you'd say she's being almost blatant about it, except that upon a second look Oak can see she's highly worried and distracted by something right now, despite the strong face she puts on the situation. What is she trying to say? Oak can't tell with certainty, but whatever it is, it's urgent...

    You're not sure the why or how, but she's putting on a performance right now (maybe has been for some time): trying to inform the Wild Bunch, while misdirecting someone else to her intentions in the same conversation. But who? There's no one else here...

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Hmmmmmmm

    Hmmmmmmm:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    URIXES:
    The Tiefling was watching each member of the Wild Bunch with a keen, nervous interest, most especially yourself. Their proximity to the Captain was protective...almost to the point that it seemed like she's "keeping an eye on her"?....

    EVERYONE:

    The Captain's about to flip the Glass of Truth over. Everyone, please make a Perception Check! Urixes, you can add Advantage to your roll

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Jack Sees What

    Jack Sees What:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    Geth, roll 2d2k1 for Perception Check

    Edit: :neutral:

    Perception Check:
    2d2k1 2 [2d2k1=[2], 2]

    Denada on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Amazing.

    AustinP0027mrpakuDenada
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Jack: Someone is in the room, nearby and invisible to your eyes. You can make a Disadvantaged Attack to wing them by sheer luck, or a Strength Check to try to grapple anything invisible that runs by you...

    Oak: Something is in the room, nearby and invisible to your eyes. Make a Disadvantaged Dex Check to trip anyone that wanders by, or a Disadvantaged Strength Check to try to grapple anything invisible that runs by...

    Urixes: They're just gone...vanished. They could be anywhere...and what's more, Urixes has a strange, nostalgic sensation... something like a primordial fear of the thing. Urixes, Wisdom Save to avoid being Frightened by the invisible thing in the room. On a success against a 13, you can also make one Disadvantaged Attack Roll against the invisible presence

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Wisdom Save

    Wisdom Save:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Everyone: Dex Checks vs. 14 for the Lightning Bolt that just burst through the room (37 lightning damage, or 18 on a success)

    The Captain took the full brunt of the Lightning, and is nearly unconscious on the floor. Nearby, her books and maps catch fire, along with her desk...

    Perception to get a better look at the man through the reflections of the magical bolts!

    The door to the Captain's Office has been flung open. Upon the ground, your friend Meepo the Kobold is furiously fighting with some unseen figure...

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 4
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+2 for Dex Save

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception

    Edit: Wow Geth. Wow

    Dex Save:
    2d20k1+2 8 [2d20k1=[6], 4]
    Perception:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

    AustinP0027 on
    Glal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dex Save
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Perception Hearing
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Perception Seeing

    Dex Save:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]
    Perception Hearing:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]
    Perception Seeing:
    1d20 9 [1d20=9]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 9
    How do you want us to make our decisions?

    Oak has his priority, but I'm assuming we need to do some rolling before anything can be narrated out?

    AustinP0027 on
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    How do you want us to make our decisions?

    Oak was have his priority, but I'm assuming we need to do some rolling before anything can be narrated out?

    Correct!

    Everyone now has (roughly) two choices they have to make quick here (OOC: Help the Fire in the Captain's Office vs. Pursuing the Invisible Interloper, with varying degrees of being able to pursue the latter depending on how hard the Lightning just hit you), so on this one no OOC talk, please! If it turns out everyone stayed to help, or everyone left to find the culprit, well....

    Let me know what you'd like, and roll within spoilers please! Don't forget, Meepo is your eager henchman, and can be directed to assist one way or another. Once everyone has checked in (in spoiler tags!), I'll message you each personally on the result, and you can play out what happened "in the moment". Does that all make sense?

    Glal
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak's actions:
    Oak will save the Captain first and foremost.

    He would attempt to grab the mirror on his way out.

    He'd want to grab papers, but would abandon that super quick if it meant endangering the Captain or not grabbing mirror. So without a Nat 20 saying he wildly succeeds, he'd give up on these pretty dang quick.

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dex Check

    Dex Check:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    The Shifter remains standing, finding himself for a few seconds strangely enjoying the sensation…
    Oooh, magical e-stim.

    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack will stay to help, but send out Mister Fusspot to track the intruder and ask Meepo to alert the crew to their presence. Fusspot has Keen Senses (advantage to tracking by sight or scent) and the new Magician's Glove should hopefully keep him out of harm's way!

    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes would yell for Jack and Meepo to pursue the attacker, hoping that Jack's senses and Meepo's magic would make it hard for him to hide. Then he'd try to use some combination of Frostbite, Shape Water, and maybe Thaumaturgy to try to put out the fire.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku MichiganRegistered User regular
    Anyone may choose to make a Perception Check or a Charisma Check right now, to feel out the truth of Iqium the Sorcerer's words

Sign In or Register to comment.