As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC D&D 5E:] Crew of the Whispered Curse

245

Posts

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno has no other urgent business, though on reflection they have no idea where Urixes is and is hoping to meet them once they spring Jack and Oak. Guards seem to all do a bee line to those two exclusively after all. Captain must be putting on their clothes and cursing up a storm.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno, Madame Zelena seems to be coaxing you to accompany her to "Valtari's" room. Do you have any qualms about following her? If you do follow, you'll find the Ship's insides to be like a labyrinth: you'll need to make some sort of Check not to lose yourself up and down vast halls and stairsets, and be able to remember where and how to find the exit should the need arise (Investigation/Insight/Survival, all seem fair game)

    It also occurs to me that the last people who had the Sending Stones were the Captain and Arno at the Grey Maw I believe? Arabella would've given hers back since then, but which member of the Wild Bunch is currently holding the other Sending Stone?

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    In my head, that feels like something that Urixes would have.

    Jack and Arno would just chat the whole time so would split that up and I get this picture of Oak being more Dad with a cellphone "How does this dang thing work"

    mrpakuGlal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah that tracks. Urixes will try to call Arno before they all head for the safehouse.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    That does track. I imagine in the confusion Arno forgot about them, though if we wanted to give ourselves extra difficulty, it's equally likely Arno has both and was going to split them up at breakfast.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The time now is probably about 1:15 pm. Arno (inside the Copper Camel) is gonna be brought to the "situation" in the "Valtari" room shortly

    Will wait for Jack to check-in before moving the guys at the Kelp Carts along. But question: how do you guys plan to get to the Safehouse (#29) from here (#30)? It's nearly the length of Drummer Street to get there, and still the middle of the day

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited October 23
    My head canon is that they have all been to Chaff before, the Stink Pit just made them forget it, and now they're returning for a second visit.

    [edit] Come on, Jack is wearing a hat, he's practically a local now.

    Glal on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno, the Captain seems to be in a half-trance like state. She's slightly confused about what's going on around her, and far more interested in the mirrors then the two people who just came into her room. How would you like to proceed?
    Urixes, Oak, and Jack, updated the situation I'm your current area. What are your plans to get from your current location to the Safehouse? Ask any questions you may have about the area/people/possibilities here

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    @mrpaku What kind of knowledge check would it be to know what the Captain is trying to accomplish, if anything? Does it seem like a real ritual or does it feel more like a drug haze thing? Either way, not going to get much useful, so would rather get my room and pump Madame for info.

    Would I need a persuasion, or does she seem pretty free with the info now that she knows I'm on the list, have connections, and obviously the person [gonna guess Pom but who knows] isn't actually a guest.

    Would also ask about Pom by first mentioning they've already been mistakenly identified and would like to know how to put future shop keeps at ease that I'm not the one who'll snatch up their children.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 25
    You know the Captain by now to generally be no-nonsense. Finding her in the middle of a Zephyr-like ritual is very out-of-character behavior: she doesn’t usually go in for this sort of “fucking bullshit”. And despite the Absinthe, she doesn’t seem to Arno to be drunk or under the influence, so much as purposefully trying to “will” herself elsewhere. The “ritual” you’re watching being attempted is (at least to the best of the Captain’s knowledge) an attempt at something very real

    As to what the Captain is trying to accomplish here, it’s possible she isn’t even entirely sure herself. But, if you can roll an *Arcana 20*, I’ll let Arno pierce the veil and intuit where the Captain’s mind is at with all of this. This is Big-Game stuff…don't worry, if you “fail” this Check, its getting put in your “MYSTERIES” file for later

    If you can keep her very well-tipped and don’t bring around any trouble, Madame Zelena is nearly a by-the-hour hireable NPC. She won’t leave the Camel, or fight with the Bunch, and she won’t be at Arno’s side 24/7 (she mostly runs this place herself, after all), but if you need to know something she would have probable knowledge of; or have staff run an errand; or get word out through quiet channels, well, that’s why you’re "paying" for the luxury accommodations, right?

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Oof, if anything Arno is more confused than before about what the Captain was doing. Also, curious what I can do with this blue sand I've got in the back pocket, and these fancy types are always quick to look the other way when a VIP is bringing in illicit materials.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Urixes, Oak, and Jack: please roll to get across town without possible injury, hassle, or identification (DC-13). Pretty open on this one: I'd take Stealth, Survival; even Athletics or Acrobatics to bob and weave through the crowds while the tension builds. Urixes, don't forget your new magic toy, and now's as good a time as any of your and Arno wanna make an exchange with the Stones: we can say it's happening while Urixes is on the move through the crowd, and just after Arno's strange look at the Captain's room/before Madame Zelena gives them the lowdown on the town
    Arno, answers to your questions on Pom and the room incoming! For organization's sake, let's say whatever conversation that occurs with you and Urixes on the Sending Stones happens before Madame Zelena provides the answers to your most recent questions

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak and Jack will find their way through the crowds safely and securely to Crispin's Safehouse! Urixes follows close behind, "on the phone" with Arno


    Arno, Madame Zelena has been properly forthcoming for her station, but there's a handful of topics she's skimming or avoiding completely. You can press/buy her on most of these, with some coin:

    - Bribe to learn the difference between an "Honored Guest" or an "Associate" to the Sun Prince

    - Bribe to find out more about the wanted city-wide villains who Arno in-no-way is associated with personally, obviously

    - Bribe to see what sort of "gears" you could "grease" with the Blue Sand (ie people to safely and discreetly trade it to)

    - Charisma Roll to find out more about Lupo than what you're actually being told. It's obvious that what you're coming up on is Zelena's commitment to bigger money and the more powerful figure.... it'll take something good to change her mind enough to give you more on a celebrity guest who is bankrolling a whole floor (DC-18)

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    We'll pick up at Arno's incredibly opulent luxury suite roughly the same time we arrive with Urixes and the Shifters in a rotted wooden sink, depending on how the Tiefling arrives, and what him and Arno plan between them in the meantime!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Everyone: roll to check your very questionable surroundings. Let me know if you're looking for anything specific as your search. Perception, Investigation, or Stealth would all work here. If you're nervous/suspicious enough to have a weapon out, now's the time to mention it!
    ...

    Jack, Oak, and Urixes: once your location has been assessed and secured, what's your plan until Arno and Crispin arrive? What do you think the plan should be afterwards?
    ...

    Arno, once you've checked this place for mutant ticks and the like, what's your immediate strategy to get across town to the others in Crispin's Safehouse (assuming, of course, that that is your plan at the moment...?)

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I think Arno's course of action would be to go to the hunter's guild, then the safe house, using either perception or survival to note the groups of guards and muggers to get there safely. Dead dog->freebooters way->Murders Row to guild. Then take an Orphan boat around to the safe house.

    Arno would be sure to share that they are wanted Alive, but will try and sort out mistaken identity first [maybe getting the Love Revolution to attest they saw us around the time of the crime, since the crime happened just a few days ago]. Also will conspicuously neglect to mention where he's staying for as long as possible. Don't want you guys to think I've gone soft.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Just to clarify: Arno won't be going into their room inside the Camel at this time, but will be leaving immediately to make their way towards the Hunter's Guild, is that correct? If so, please set the scene and make that Survival or Perception roll whenever you're ready! (DC-13) to make your way safely from here to the Guild, without recognition, being hassled, a tough guy wanting to prove himself, someone thinking you're stealing babies, etc. etc.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Searching like crazy, but not drawing a weapon

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Whoa, whoa... you can't give Arno a key to an amazing suite and expect him to not at least check it out. The others said they are in a safe house, they are fine, I can take 5...15 minutes to take the place in.

    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO

    Perception, Investigation or Stealth, (if you were feeling especially suspicious at the moment) to look over your sweet digs before you depart for the Hunter's Guild!

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack is too bummed out to be paying much attention to anything right now. He had food on order and everything.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Guys at the Safehouse: RP/mess with that chest Oak found/try that door lock/set up security measures/have snacks as you like! Once I feel like everyone has gotten a chance to check in, your "host" will arrive!

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I swear, Arno really struggles with Charisma checks

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Twinning, what kinda knowledge would that be? Or would it be so rare only interrogation is an option?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Twinning, what kinda knowledge would that be? Or would it be so rare only interrogation is an option?

    From the looks exchanged between the two, it would seem to Arno to be taboo in a public discussion, and even likely among friends. Probably something natives to the Expanse would know about in general, but not something people would want to talk about with strangers, if at all! Barnabas's mouth is hanging open like someone just threw out a horrible off-color slur out there...he is mortified

    If you left the topic alone, they don't seem currently hostile: possibly even helpful, if you played your cards right.

    But this group currently think you're, at best, trying to make money on an easy tip... convincing them to talk to you about why they just used that word would be a definite uphill climb, and will probably get you thrown out of here, if you fail (Charisma Roll- (DC-17))

    The knowledge itself you could try your luck on having somehow already heard of, maybe providing a hint. But, much like the room of mirrors, it would be a rough attempt: (DC-18) in either Nature, History, or Religion

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes is going to recast Find Familiar to turn Hex into a spider, rather than an albatross. Seems more useful in an urban setting.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Urixes, if you want to make an Advantaged Investigation around the place with your new spider friend Hex (or attempt any other action), now is a good time to do so!
    ...

    Jack, your shovel glows faintly over the safe... there's some money in there, at least at bit! But, getting it open would take the key, or skill with/access to a lockpick, which none of you here have.

    You could try to pick it anyway, with Urixes's small knife (Dex-DC-18, with Disadvantage). You could also try to shoot it-useless (Dex-DC-12), but the gunfire might bring attention, and the owner of the chest will likely notice the big bullet hole in his chest, sooner or later
    ...

    Oak, the lock on the hidden exit is the worst part about this place's defenses. It's mostly designed to hold from the outside, and looks homemade, and badly built at that. Like Jack, you could try to pick it with Urixes's small knife (Dex DC-14, with Disadvantage). You could smash it pretty easily (Strength DC-12), but it wouldn't ever close properly again, and if you somehow missed, you'd probably break the door frame entirely.

    And then there's a third option...you're master Carpenter on the ship now, after all. Maybe, with a good look and the right know how, you could fix the door frame, make it more solid, and find a "trick" for the lock? (Dex Check for some Quick Carpentry, add your proficiency- (DC-15) )
    ...

    If you guys want to focus on one lock over the others, feel free to provide Help to your companions!

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Don't mind if I do!

    Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Investigation Check

    Investigation Check:
    2d20k1+5 18 [2d20k1=[13], 2]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for nature knowledge twinning

    nature knowledge twinning:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno: Hunters Barnabas the Priest, Fig Guerra Number Eight, or The Scurry have offered to escort you across town. They are the closest thing to "law enforcement" that Chaff has, and will move up the investigation into your friend's framing due to their sympathy for Changelings. Do you gladly accept their offer of an escort (and if so, who?) Or do you attempt to put them off, and make sure they don't follow you into...whatever circumstances the Wild Bunch may have found themselves (Charisma Roll to keep off the fuzz)?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak, Urixes, and Jack: Crispin is the stern, outwardly narcissist, half-antagonistic owner of the Safehouse you're all staying in. He thinks your group ditched a treasure here somewhere when you "fled" several days ago, and had warned Urixes he slipped slow acting poison into his coffee. His plan seems to be an open shakedown of your party.

    What's your plan to interact/deal/trick/get information out of this guy? Does Urixes still reach out to Arno to bring them here, or wait? How will you satisfy this guy's curiousty about a "score" you've never heard about before?

    As always, if you wanna try something outside the box, let me know!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Also, Jack and Oak: Insight Check please (DC-14). With Advantage. Something about this guy...

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 31
    Oak and Jack, through Crispin's sharp physical features and graceful, delicate movements, you're able to immediately identify the man as a Razorclaw Shifter. These Catmen are sneaky and temperamental, and take on characteristics such as that of a panther, lion, or ocelot when they Shift. Crispin's feline preening and high level of arrogance are particularly pronounced. From the sly look on his face, he seems to think he's passing well, though

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    Oak, Jack, and Urixes: Crispin is getting a little pushy, wanting to know about what "the plan" is, and where the location of Urixes's supposed stash of gold is located. His suggestion is to wait until night to retrieve the item, and to not bring all of you. He's even offered to just go get it himself...

    Do you try to get any information out of Crispin? (Some sort of Charisma Roll, and make it clear what info you're hoping to get out the reticent Shifter)

    Do you agree with him? What information of your own do you share/not share with the cat shifter? What's the team's current plan, laying low as they are (OOC or IC, either works for me!) Does Urixes call Arno, (to welcome along, or warn) either here with the group, or somewhere more private? And what will the Wild Bunch do, once Cripsin learns you have no idea where "Urixes" placed the winnings from the Casino?...

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno: Charisma roll of your choice to keep Barnabas from noticing whether or not you recognize Urixes's picture at a glance (DC-14). If he definitely can tell you recognize the Tiefling, he'll expect you to be more forthcoming with your details!

    What do you tell the man of Evvdia, Chic the Brick, and your friend Urixes? How much do you think he possibly knows already (Insight roll to get a read on the man)? How far do his sources really reach in the Expanse, as apparent leader of the Hunter's Guild?

    Arno, this man seems like he'd make a good friend, and a dangerous enemy out here: careful!

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Do I know anything about Chic? Feels like someone new.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for deception, Urixes who?

    deception, Urixes who?:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Do I know anything about Chic? Feels like someone new.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for deception, Urixes who?

    First time Arno's ever heard of him...

    You successfully manage to convince Barnabas that you're unfamiliar with the Tiefling on the mug shot before you! :)

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Please note Arno certainly took time to do some voicework, hand puppets, and stage combat to get the full story across. This is also the best I can remember the whole story so far, spoken in Arno best I can.

    Glalmrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Alright, time for Dark Urixes to come out a little. Gonna try to enhance my intimidation check with a little Thaumaturgy.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Jack's help would actually give Urixes advantage right? Or was Jack doing his own thing?

    If so, Oak will give Urixes the help action. But let me know because I'll post it out too.

Sign In or Register to comment.