As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC D&D 5E:] Crew of the Whispered Curse

135

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Yeah, he was trying to help (action), but I believe you need a 10 to succeed and Geth finally had enough of his decent rolls.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Not quite enough to cow Cripsin completely, unfortunately!

    ...

    Arno, answer Barnabas's questions truthfully or deceitfully as you like, but the man seems canny, and is already fully on the case

    ...

    Oak, Urixes, and Jack: are Crispin's terms acceptable? He seems to genuinely believe you're who you say you are, for what it's worth. Do you try to talk his price down (persuasion roll)? Do you try to negotiate how the location of the antidote and key get handed over? Is there something you're maybe missing here? (insight check to feel out Cripsins's motivations/see if there's anything you're forgetting)

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Also Urixes: when Crispin finally goes to leave, he'll be asking for that Cloak back. Will you be giving it to him?

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack will go with whatever the other two decide, this situation is entirely too complicated for him to meaningfully contribute.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Aww, poor Jack.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Pirate politics are about to wrap up for the time being once you guys finish with Barnabas and Crispin, and will be followed shortly by a significant amount of action! Jack's patience is appreciated! :)

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    He got two free sandwiches out of the deal, it wasn't a complete loss!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 4
    Arno: To interview Mr. Pryce for what he knows (about the town/the growing unrest/what happened to his nose): Persuasion or Deception; To keep an eye on the growing unrest yourself, from the front door of the Sea of Sighs: Survival or Perception. Do you have any other ideas for this moment of downtime? You also have a free moment, where Mr. Pryce isn't looking and Barnabas is gone: do you use it to call Urixes and let him know the situation?

    ...

    Oak and Jack, unless @Denada objects, or unless someone still wants to make an Insight Roll, with the low low price of 200gp, a (sinking, smelly, but seemingly secure) Safehouse is yours! Cripsin will pin the location of the poison's antidote and the antidote's key to the front door, then leave this area immediately. Should I split that cost three ways between you all? EDIT- Oak took 100% of the cost onto himself!

    What does the group do with your new Safehouse? Are you all now waiting for Arno patiently inside, or looking about the neighborhood as best you can (Perception or Investigation)? Does anyone take a short rest? And what is the groups present plan moving forward for this afternoon/evening?

    Urixes, once Crispin departs, you will have a secure moment with the Sending Stone: do you contact and update Arno?

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Oak would have lost patience long ago, so would have just paid it out to be done with it.

    Other two can decide if they want to fight about the cloak.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes will give up the cloak. He's eager to just get rid of the guy. Once Crispin is gone he'll grab the note, then call Arno and give them an update.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Oak Wildkin, homeowner! Living the dream.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Lets see what Arno sees.

    Geth roll 1d20+7 perception, the mean streets

    Geth roll 1d20+5 persuasion you can trust me

    perception, the mean streets:
    1d20+7 24 [1d20=17]
    persuasion you can trust me:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO: Violence is about to erupt on the streets of Chaff. Please roll Initiative!

    ...

    URIXES, please take your time to respond to Arno's call, then let me know what you do in the time to follow

    OAK and JACK: You have
    about fifteen minutes of relative peace inside your newly purchased safehouse. How do you plan to spend it?

    Then, everyone in the place please roll Initiative!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 Civilians
    Geth roll 1d20 Wild-Kind
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Union Soldiers
    Geth roll 1d20 Shameless Opportunists
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Queen's Men
    Geth roll 1d20+2 Prince's Dogs
    Geth roll 1d20+3 Mystery Group X
    Geth roll 2d20+3 Mystery Group Y

    Civilians:
    1d20-1 9 [1d20=10]
    Wild-Kind:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]
    Union Soldiers:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]
    Shameless Opportunists:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]
    Queen's Men:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]
    Prince's Dogs:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]
    Mystery Group X:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]
    Mystery Group Y:
    2d20+3 25 [2d20=2, 20]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Is Pom with the dogs? does this just look like a group acting tough or are they actually trying to provoke? Wondering if I can get them out of the picture.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    - Pom is not currently to be seen with any of the "Dogs" (Mostly Shifters dressed in high-end suits and fashions) in this area

    - The Dogs are being taunted by people in the streets, and are responding in kind and then some. They're not backing down, and if anything are doing their damndest to stir the pot. There seem to currently be two groups of them in the area right outside Sea of Sighs, each containing 4-5 members

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Am I able to fix the escape hatch door in that 15mins or would I need longer?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Am I able to fix the escape hatch door in that 15mins or would I need longer?

    That should be time enough, yes! :)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    That's what Oak will spend time doing then. Wasn't going to fix it for someone else, but if this belongs to them now, they need a better escape hatch.

    mrpaku
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack will spend the time distracting Oak by trying on the fancy clothes and going, "How's this look on me? Pretty fetchin', eh? Oak, look here! Oak! Oak!




    Urixes!"

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno gonna be dumb, fingers crossed. Trying to convince them I'm Pom in disguise, and to leave the area.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for all changeling look alike

    all changeling look alike:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Weekend/Daylight Savings from Hell. Working on an update now...should be ready later today/this morning!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 10
    Arno, Grime has his back to you for a moment…you could attempt to get his attention, draw him away from the crowd he looks about to descend on...maybe even ambush him. You could take his advice and head inside: maybe convince Barnabas to help you block the doors, and protect the Sea of Sighs while the riot rips through Chaff. You could try to get to your friends as soon as you can, or seek out Pom among the throngs soon to run the streets. Or try to navigate the waters below, and swim your way to the Queen herself. What do you do?

    NORTH- Grime’s group of Prince’s Dogs, about to descend on enraged Civilians and bring violence to the streets of Chaff

    WEST- The Nimble Weasel, already pulling up its gangplank and sliding metal barriers down the side of the Ship’s windows. Closed for business tonight, it seems

    SOUTH- Shouted Insults. Dark Moods. Tension Rising. Smoke suddenly rises from the streets, and people begin to cry out in fright and anticipation. Does Arno march into the fray?

    EAST- The Sea of Sighs. Mr. Prcye awaits at the front desk, and Barnabas told you he’d “be right back”. You’d be safe in there from all, this, certainly….at least for awhile

    ABOVE- Ropes and rigging, hanging off idle craft. You could try to climb above this…take to ropes, and swing above the swarming crowd like a proper Rigger [Nearby Ships to ascend/swing from are the “Sea of Sighs”, “The Nimble Weasel”, and “Gun-Goes-Bang”]

    BELOW- Over the edge of the boardwalk, and into the deep waters below. First a tangle of ropes, filth, and fishing line, followed by the great wide blue and a sea of sunken anchors. (You’ll likely find it easier to leave the boardwalk than to return to it)


    Oak, Jack, Urixes: A riot slowly builds outside your Safehouse. You’ve been warned by wandering Orphan acquaintances of Jack that the town (specifically the area around Cutthroat Alley) is about to be lit up. How do you choose to proceed? You may each choose a location/challenge, you may go as a team, etc. etc.

    WEST-The streets of Chaff, and the front door to FIRE + WATER. The streets of Cutthroat Alley aren’t as busy as elsewhere, but it won’t be long before the streets swarm with the riot. You could take a look out here and get a better sense of what’s happening, or maybe try to communicate with/warn the armed guards atop FIRE + WATER

    ABOVE- You could try to climb up top the new Safehouse, and see if you could get the vessel seaworthy (even if just for the night) and out of the Cutthroat Alley area. The Orphan Jim mocked the idea, but he isn’t a well-practiced Carpenter aboard a Ship!

    BELOW- You could always swim out of here if need be, now that the hatch has been fixed. It would probably serve to have a good idea where you want to end up in town before you swim out into the cold waters, and it would likely be a one-way trip!

    REMAIN AT YOUR CURRENT LOCATION- You could simply stay put. The orphans might be exaggerating the immediacy of the dangers, and even if they aren’t, that door will hold for a good while. Maybe waiting to get a good sense the evolving situation will help keep your group out of danger/the sight of authority, and you might even be able to set off the single-shot pistols traps Urixes had found and use them to keep people away from the place

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno casts conjure animals to create 8 wolfs in a semicircle around the Sea of Sighs entrance, they will guard but not attack unless I or themselves are attacked, and with mighty summoner they will have the following stats:

    AC: 13
    HP: 15
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, magical, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
    Pack tactics

    Arno will also pop an aura of the Unicorn

    The unicorn spirit lends its protection to those nearby. You and your allies gain advantage on all ability checks made to detect creatures in the spirit’s aura. In addition, if you cast a spell using a spell slot that restores hit points to any creature inside or outside the aura, each creature of your choice in the aura also regains hit points equal to your druid level, 6.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 11
    Arno: you have helped clear the north end of Olde Towne Road. The riots rage south of you and Barnabas. The gangplank of the Sea of Sighs has been withdrawn. What is your play with the priest?

    Find the Queen- Barnabas needs to let her know of the Dog’s plot, and it’s been suggested she’s one of the only individuals with the authority to stop the riot. She also controls a personal army and the main authority in the City. But then, why hasn’t she acted already?

    Get to the Wild Bunch: If there’s a plot, the boys of the Wild Bunch are in danger. Conversely, if there’s a plot, the whole Wild Bunch may be the only ones able to solve the danger. Convince Barnabas that finding your other framed friends in this crowd is priority number one

    Pursue Grime- Grime seemed to be one of the main instigators of the violence spreading, and seemed to know a good deal about Pom and their motivation. Maybe you could follow him and his group? After what happened with the wolves, it might get violent if he saw you again…but maybe he doesn’t need to see you? Or maybe you and Barnabas together are enough to take him?

    Get a Better View- There’s enough Big Ships around here, lines, unattended masts etc., that you could get up high somewhere and try to get a view of what’s going on around the city. Not yet locked down, Othro’s Oddities is only a bit of a swim from here, and if you got to the very top of the central mast, you’d have a view of the entire city. Maybe such a sight would bring perspective?

    Be a Big Damn Hero- You could head into the crowds to the south, and focus on doing what you can to assist/stop the riot. Worry about the people and the situation first, making sure to save as many of the innocents and as much of the city as you can. Barnabas and your wolves will be at your side, but how much can two individuals do in such a volatile situation?

    As always, don’t feel limited to simply the choices presented!

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Geth roll 4d6 bludgeoning damage (Crowd vs. Wolves)

    bludgeoning damage (Crowd vs. Wolves):
    4d6 20 [4d6=6, 2, 6, 6]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 11
    Oak, Jack, Urixes: The guards at FIRE+WATER and the crowds below haven’t taken account of you all or the S.S. OAK…just yet

    You’ll need to get the hunk moving, but it will take some work…and the longer you’re up here, the worse things will get below, and the more yours/ the Ship’s movements will draw notice

    - Does one of you going above decide to cut the lines connecting your Ship to the boardwalk now, or wait until the last moment? (Someone please make a Sleight of Hand or Stealth Check as a Bonus Action if you choose to do it now, to see if you accidentally draw anyone’s attention)

    - Someone staying down below, please make a Athletics Check to pull up that massive anchor chain as quickly as possible, otherwise you won’t be able to get anywhere

    - Someone will need to Finesse that stuck wheel if you’re gonna steer the Ship at all; this will take a Athletics or Acrobatics Check

    - Finally, someone will need to be ready to get this tub going, by either dragging up those rough-looking paddles from below (Strength Check), or by unfurling that battered-looking sail and hanging it properly (Dexterity Check, Oak can add proficiency for Master Carpenter, Jack can add proficiency for Watercraft Expert!)

    - After you get this thing moving, where are you headed? Are you worried for Arno? What about the rest of the Whispered Curse’s crew, scattered out in the city?

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited November 11
    Arno casts heal on a large group of wounded. A 30 ft sphere. Every one gets 6hp and the one who gets the cast gets

    Geth roll 1d8+4 healing

    Also to persuade the saved into being helpful

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for persuasive

    heading:
    1d8+4 10 [1d8=6]
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]

    zekebeau on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno: Persuasion or Intimidation (with Advantage) to form a roving posse from the injured pirates; Survival to head into the crowds to the South and take this riot by the horns yourself, with Barnabas and your surviving Dogs providing Help

    Geth roll 1d20+4 Survival (Barnabas)

    Survival (Barnabas):
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Also: is Arno currently in Rak'ta form, Changeling form, or some other form as they take the head of this group?

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for persuasive advantage

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for survival

    Gonna stay Rak'ta, no need to get mixed up with Pom again.

    persuasive advantage:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    survival:
    1d20+7 20 [1d20=13]

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes isn't particularly suited to taking on any of the ship tasks himself, so he'll take the Help action to give Oak and Jack advantage as needed.

    I suppose now that things are exploding he'll check in on Arno again as well.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Arno: Currently clearing out/protecting Old Towne Road. Now headed south with 7/8 wolves; a pirate posse of about 6 injured buccaneers; and a hard ass, black-robed, gun toting Priest. Will soon have a decision to make on whether to take to battle and protect the Queen, or continue their fire-fighting and pursue the Enemy's mischief within the city!...


    Safehouse Boys: Anchor has been safely/quickly pulled up from the SS Oak, and Oak is free to come aboard the Top Deck with the others. There is still a Wheel to unstick; and either Sails to hang, or Paddles to procure and prepare. Rolling Urixes's Help to see who may've noticed Jack cutting the lines from down on the street...

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Stealth Check (Urixes Help)

    Stealth Check (Urixes Help):
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 13
    Arno: Do you join the massive battle at the Queen's/The Vault's front door, or search the East or West for ways to fight fires/solve the riot/learn the motives or the attackers? Or simply hold your ground here, and guide civilians to safety as best you can? Maybe, a combination of these...?

    With Arno's choice, re: your current posse: do they stay behind with Barnabas in charge, and hold the ground you've won? Move forward to meet the Queen themselves as Arno goes it alone? Come with into the smoke and flames, or investigate them on their own?...

    Geth roll 2d6 bludgeoning (Crowd vs. Wolves)

    bludgeoning (Crowd vs. Wolves):
    2d6 7 [2d6=4, 3]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak: It's likely Urixes and Jack have left unsticking the wheel to yourself, Bear Man! :)

    Jack and Urixes: Sail is safely hung up and unfurling, only the Wheel to go before you can get this tub moving. What do you do in the meantime? Call Arno? Provide assistance to the fire/save people in the crowds? Help guide the Ship out safely to the Open Waters, where you can navigate with more ease? Commune with the Deep? Take a watch, to make sure no one gets the idea to attack/try to hitch a ride on the departing watercraft?

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what he can do, but if possible Jack would like to help the people at the Fire+Water. I imagine there's not that much time before Oak gets the thing moving proper, but between his bow and the teleport stones he could maybe hang back, offer support/suppression and then use a stone to catch up? He doesn't have any magical abilities, so can't do much about the fire at this point.

    Would try and cover up his face though, no reason to have yet more enemies on his tail.

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno is very used to fighting in fires by now, so lets do that. I've got 3 lvl 2 slots and 3 lvl 1 slots to use for create water [to douse the flames]. But can I make a perception check to determine safe passage? Or maybe an insight into whether the East or West is the better place to start? I'm feeling like the professor's experiments are important, where are those in relation to Arno?

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    And for those keeping track:

    1. Rak'Ta camp nearly burned down due to Jack luck, which led directly to the death match in the pit.
    2. Gobilin, giant, chameleon fight big parts of the battlefeild were on fire
    3. The ship fire fight with Conrad.

    Man, putting out fires has become a much bigger part of my character than I ever intended.

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 14
    Arno:

    - Oak overheard at the party onboard the Love Revolution that at least one of the Professor's experiments were located at Shipping Warehouse C (#25 on the Chaff Map; Southside of Hook's End, just between the Shipyard and the Restaurant District from this morning)

    - Insight Check to see what you can feel out there in the fire and smoke and noise, from one direction only. I'll let Barnabas check the other side, if you'd like! There are cannon arrays a short distance to both the West and East of here (marked as Red Xs on the Chaff Map)

    - You can use your Water to put out the local fires, but the area you choose to do this in will fill with heavy, blinding, choking smoke, (only clearable with a heavy wind/time) changing the nature of situation dramatically. It would definitely be best to make any Insight Checks you intended to make beforehand, for example. Let me know if and when you decide to use this...

    - Do you leave any of your ten men and 7/8 wolves to hold this street? Bring them with through the fire and smoke? Split up, and have Barnabas and half the team pursue one cannon while Arno and the other half attempts to get to the other?

    mrpaku on
Sign In or Register to comment.