As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One Year In, We are Still Playing [Genshin Impact]

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I got a 4* from my monthly fate purchases, which got me C1 Yanfei. I have never used a catalyst character, but I'll never turn down getting one of the non-default characters' stars.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yanfei is great. I like her better than Klee by a country mile.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yanfei is great. I like her better than Klee by a country mile.

Yanfei is easy-mode for catalyst DPS. I don't mean that as a slam; they took everything they learned from the others and streamlined her immensely.

In other news, my admittedly full-to-the-gills Kokomi can facetank both phases of Signora with Vestment up. "Bad,' they said.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Oof, got a standard pity.

A second Skyward Atlas.

There is zero chance I ever use a carry who needs it--EM Sucrose is the only catalyst carry I've even considered using.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I finally hit my 3rd 5* from the standard banner, and that's from starting at launch and only spending all available blue fates. And... it's a second Skyward Harp. Kind of wish it was an Amos Bow for Ganyu, but on the other hand I have a handful of archers who sometimes fight over the one harp, so I can't complain that much. Could also use it as an excuse to build up Sara.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The blue fates gave me a Lisa constellation, so that makes C2 thanks to the shop.

Pink fates made me lose the 50/50 for another stupid Diluc.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Oof, got a standard pity.

A second Skyward Atlas.

There is zero chance I ever use a carry who needs it--EM Sucrose is the only catalyst carry I've even considered using.

I don't even know if I would use it on a Sucrose carry over Tales. I haven't done the math, but it seems like buffing her enablers would still be ahead in dps.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Super super early Thoma impressions that I'm seeing, mostly confirming what we already knew from leaks and his hangout thing:
    - His shield is good.
    - The shield briefly applies pyro to yourself, and the shield protects you if it triggers an overload or something on yourself. You can use that initial pyro to trigger an elemental absorption for some anemo characters' abilities. But unlike Diona's shield, it doesn't re-apply the element when you switch characters, so you can't just freely cleanse debuffs from your whole team by switching. Of course, his burst also re-applies shields to yourself, so that might work for those purposes, but I haven't seen it tested yet.
    - His pyro generation is only okay, since it follows normal ICD rules (similar to Kokomi). This is a bad thing if you wanted him to set up reactions from cryo characters or something, but it's a good thing if you don't want him messing up Hu Tao's ability to trigger vaporizes from Xingqiu or something.
    - His damage output is not great.

I can definitely see him being a convenient character to use for specific encounters going forward, and he can also kinda fill into Bennett's slot in teams in the abyss, but because he doesn't contribute all that much damage to the team, he's probably not going to be a super common meta pick. Except for Hu Tao, specifically, since he perfectly consolidates the "shield support" and "second pyro for resonance, and setting the element to swirl'd by an anemo character" roles. I would be pretty surprised if "Hu Tao/Thoma/Xingqiu/Kazuha or Sucrose" doesn't become a common team.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think his burst snapshots buffs, unfortunately.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    I'm at like wish 3 towards 50/50 pity on the character banner, so i'll probably go for at least a bit on this one to see if I can get Thoma and wind child. decided not to go for hu tao, though. I'd rather save the pity/wishes for the Stone Boys banner, or if they end up not being great, see what's beyond.

• Options
    I haven't really dedicated much time to the hangout quests, although they're all unlocked for me. It seems like it's a lot of time and effort to get the primos from them, doing each six dang times. Does it at least show you while you're doing them what you've already done?

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I haven't really dedicated much time to the hangout quests, although they're all unlocked for me. It seems like it's a lot of time and effort to get the primos from them, doing each six dang times. Does it at least show you while you're doing them what you've already done?

You don't have to start from the very beginning each time, so you can jump into later parts of the tree to pick a different branching path. It also shows you which dialogue options you've already selected. They still do take some time, although the latter ones seem to be better designed around not having to retrace so many steps. I definitely agree with not being in any rush to do them. I just do one or two paths whenever I've got some time and nothing better to do.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'm at like wish 3 towards 50/50 pity on the character banner, so i'll probably go for at least a bit on this one to see if I can get Thoma and wind child. decided not to go for hu tao, though. I'd rather save the pity/wishes for the Stone Boys banner, or if they end up not being great, see what's beyond.

Do we know the next banner already? Or is it a set rotation?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Penumbra wrote: »

Yeah. Hu Tao with Sayu, Thoma, and Diona.

Edit: not a set rotation, but it was announced and is live in some areas of the world right now.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

What about the next banner?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I’m at literal 0 pity towards 50/50 so I’ve set aside 40 fates to try and get Thoma. Mainly so I can free up Zhongli from my Hu Tao team and have shields on both sides of abyss.

How are we thinking to build him? Millelith with hp circlet, sands, and goblet?

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    According to beta it should be Itto, but no idea on the other characters yet.

Second banner in 2.4 will be Albedo and Garou.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I'm not sure offhand if it's confirmed to be the next banner, but we know we're getting one with a new 5* geo guy, Itto (who appears to be designed to be a main dps in a similar way as C6 Noelle), as well as finally adding Gorou, who is a 4* geo (who seems to be specifically designed around supporting other geo characters). We don't know yet who the other two 4* characters on that banner will be.

EDIT: Oh, is Gorou on an Albedo banner? My bad if so.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    I’m at literal 0 pity towards 50/50 so I’ve set aside 40 fates to try and get Thoma. Mainly so I can free up Zhongli from my Hu Tao team and have shields on both sides of abyss.

I'm going to be giving him a favonius lance, but if he turns out to not need the energy generation, then I might slap a Black Tassel on him instead. Definitely gonna be focusing on HP for artifacts as well since I really don't care about his damage, but... not sure on set(s) yet. 2pc Millelith/2pc Emblem makes some sense to me, as does 4pc Instructors to feed some elemental mastery into Hu Tao.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

I'm not sure offhand if it's confirmed to be the next banner, but we know we're getting one with a new 5* geo guy, Itto (who appears to be designed to be a main dps in a similar way as C6 Noelle), as well as finally adding Gorou, who is a 4* geo (who seems to be specifically designed around supporting other geo characters). We don't know yet who the other two 4* characters on that banner will be.

I thought the leak was Itto + Gorou on the same banner, too.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll be an "Oops all Geos" banner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'm going to be giving him a favonius lance, but if he turns out to not need the energy generation, then I might slap a Black Tassel on him instead. Definitely gonna be focusing on HP for artifacts as well since I really don't care about his damage, but... not sure on set(s) yet. 2pc Millelith/2pc Emblem makes some sense to me, as does 4pc Instructors to feed some elemental mastery into Hu Tao.

Yeah, 4pc millelith is probably worthless as his E skill seems like a one-off damage thing. 2pc mil/ 2pc emblem is probably the way to go

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »

I thought the leak was Itto + Gorou on the same banner, too.

That might be, I honestly don't know. I thought Albedo was paired with Garou but who knows. I'm very likely wrong.

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular

Yeah, 4pc millelith is probably worthless as his E skill seems like a one-off damage thing. 2pc mil/ 2pc emblem is probably the way to go

given that his shield strength only really stacks when his burst is up.. i'd consider going a 2pc emblem / 2pc scholar/exile.
    hutao's particle generation isn't that great..
    seems like it would take c2 thoma to get pretty high uptime on his burst.. c4 would really clinch the deal.

it's pretty rough comparing thoma to diona for utility.. there's no sacrificial spear so shield uptime is not gonna be great unless you can charge thoma's burst quickly.
    I wish thoma's skill%'s weren't so weak, cause his attack animations are pretty cool.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Well, this ain't half bad.

zsh92yk9nz4w.png

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Just to throw some more confusion into the next banners, I thought I saw that Albedo will be the first banner and Itto headlines the second one.

• Options
    ok i dove into the darkweb to find answers, this is the current sitch, subject to change or be wrong

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    They need to figure the release order out so I can decide if I really am crazy enough to chase C2 Albedo from C0.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    A total of 80 wishes spent, got Hu Tao (at pity, won 50/50), Thoma c0, Sayu c0, a few Dionas past c6. My inner gambler still wasn't satisfied so I spent the rest of that 80 on weapon banner, got some junky 4* weapons, two Rosarias (which was awesome, since I'm just using her and she was c0) and ... *drumroll* a Staff of Homa which is my first ever cool 5* weapon. Before the weapon banner luck I was firmly in the "meh" camp but getting SoH before pity with two Rosarias was about as good gacha luck as I ever have.

:D

• Options
    ok i dove into the darkweb to find answers, this is the current sitch, subject to change or be wrong

Three rerun banners in a row feels unlikely to me, but I’ll totally take an extra three weeks to store up more primos for Itto

• Options
    it jives for me if they really don't have a ton of new characters in the tank and want to take as long as possible to have some ready heading into the new year

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's a new story quest with Albedo coming, along with a free 4* sword that is all but useless for anybody but him. If that's going to be at the forefront of 2.3, then I guess it makes sense to lead with his banner.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    but he entered the game with a 4* story quest sword that was made for him!!!?!?! why would they do that again???

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    but he entered the game with a 4* story quest sword that was made for him!!!?!?! why would they do that again???

Next Albedo learns how to dual wield.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Or gets metal limbs and turns sucrose into a ruin guard.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Missed on two 50/50s, and somehow still didn't get Jean or Diluc out of it. At least I'll be guaranteed to get the C1 if I can scrounge up enough primos for another 5-star in the next few weeks? We'll see though. Of course got both Thoma and Sayu in the process, up to C5 (!) and C2 respectively. One more for Thoma would be real nice, but I think I'm good on Sayu. Not really in a huge rush to level her up anyway, but I will eventually.

I had saved up enough resources to shoot Hu Tao up to level 90 and her talents to 8/8/6. And actually got enough books to keep going on talents, but I need to beat up some whopperflowers.

• Options

The new one gives 69% Def.

This is important.

• Options
    Xantus wrote: »

given that his shield strength only really stacks when his burst is up.. i'd consider going a 2pc emblem / 2pc scholar/exile.
    seems like it would take c2 thoma to get pretty high uptime on his burst.. c4 would really clinch the deal.

it's pretty rough comparing thoma to diona for utility.. there's no sacrificial spear so shield uptime is not gonna be great unless you can charge thoma's burst quickly.
    I wish thoma's skill%'s weren't so weak, cause his attack animations are pretty cool.

No idea if I'll end up with a Thoma or not, but there's a part of me that wants to play around with him and Chongyun together. Just to see what I can pull out of that.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    It'd be nice if they would've fixed their first Fire Shield character before adding a second.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Xantus wrote: »

No idea if I'll end up with a Thoma or not, but there's a part of me that wants to play around with him and Chongyun together. Just to see what I can pull out of that.

haha.. well i did 3 10-pulls and got.. sayu + c1, and Thoma :hydra:

also Stringless to r5.

i've been running around with a meme-team of Chongyun Thoma Sayu Childe.
    i gave Thoma a Dragon's Bane and he has 500 EM. it's fun for overworld stuff.

sayu came at just the right time, cause I was down to 10 crystal core >.>

Xantus on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    First pull: Sayu, C1 Diona
    Second pull: Thoma

I'll probably hold steady here, and dump the rest chasing Albedo.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain